Please stop saying "and" in your numbers

deva

DIS Veteran
Hello podsquad,

I love the podcast. You guys are great. One request...

I hate to sound like a nit, and nobody is perfect, but I'm a math teacher and it hurts me every time you guys say a number, for example "2008," but pronounce it "two-thousand and eight. Saying "and" while pronouncing a number is only to represent a decimal point, and the portion of the number spoken after the "and" represents the decimal (fractional) portion of the number.

You guys probably have youngsters listening and hopefully they have good math teachers and realize the way you guys pronounce it is wrong.

I ain't even caring about no grammar while I am on the boards.

Gotta worry about that bs while at work

My 2 cents.

Great now I have another reason to be afraid to post around here. I might get judged for my writing. :rolleyes:

Hello podsquad,

I hate to sound like a nit, and nobody is perfect, but I'm a math teacher and it hurts me every time you guys say a number, for example "2008," but pronounce it "two-thousand and eight. Saying "and" while pronouncing a number is only to represent a decimal point, and the portion of the number spoken after the "and" represents the decimal (fractional) portion of the number.

You guys probably have youngsters listening and hopefully they have good math teachers and realize the way you guys pronounce it is wrong.

and here i thought i was the *only* one with that pet peeve... thanks for sharing... it drives me bonkers and i'm not even a math teacher! *EVERYONE* does it now...

ROFL...I *AM* a reading/language arts/grammar teacher and this didn't bug me. ;) :lmao: :rotfl2: :goodvibes

Hello podsquad,

Wait a minute. You listen to Bawb week after week and this is the only thing that bothers you?? :eek: You have to tell me your secret. ;)

That is so funny. When I was in 7th grade our math teacher came into our English class and told us that he had written a letter to the radio station, because they are always saying and when they pronounced numbers. It has stuck with me and I never use the and, but I will never forget the look on all of our faces. Can you imagine that being important to a bunch of 13 year olds? We all thought he was nuts.

Ok, here's mine: Someone has a thread called "How many days do you got left?" It drives me crazy!

:rotfl: Please.....everyone hears or reads grammatical errors that bug them! No one should have to worry about posting on these boards. We each have things that make us an 'individual'. Thank goodness!
:lmao: Okay, here's one that makes me smile, when someone writes "What do you do if you loose an item?" lose, loose

I think you demean people when you criticize their syntax, especially when you know perfectly well what they mean.

People say "Twenty-oh-eight", "two-thousand eight", maybe even "twenty aught eight" or "Y2K8" in addition to "two-thousand and eight" (I'm sure there are other examples out there). Since we all know what people mean, that tends to make the forms acceptable, not unacceptable.

I'm right there with you!

I had a teacher harp on us about it in college and it has stuck w/ me ever since.

It really riles me when I hear numbers and years misstated on the news or the radio.

I've almost reached the point of a letter writing campaign!

Although, I have to say... I haven't found it bothering me on the podcast. Maybe the aura of Disney just clouds my mind and I don't hear it! :confused3

I've been listening to the podcast since two thousand and six and saying it this way is a habit. It is very hard to break, and often has nothing to do with their education or teachers. how we talk is taught by the parents and where we grew up.

Good thing we don't have any annoying habits.;)

The podcast is fine the way it is. Don't change a thing. :goodvibes

I really feel for the Podcast Crew. :sad2: This board is simultaneously the most fun and the most whiny. Totally split personality! I think it is one thing to pick on DISers grammar :rolleyes: , but to nitpick the podcasters is quite something. :rolleyes1 People freak out about leaving their voice on an email, but these guys record every week for us. I think they all do a wonderful job- even though they are human. Maybe I'm weird, but the human part is one of the things that I think sets this podcast apart from the others...in a good way.

I really feel for the Podcast Crew. :sad2: This board is simultaneously the most fun and the most whiny. Totally split personality! I think it is one thing to pick on DISers grammar :rolleyes: , but to nitpick the podcasters is quite something. :rolleyes1 People freak out about leaving their voice on an email, but these guys record every week for us. I think they all do a wonderful job- even though they are human. Maybe I'm weird, but the human part is one of the things that I think sets this podcast apart from the others...in a good way.

Well said. AND. I'm the son of an english teacher, so I am in danger of being called "Grammar Nazi" every day. AND I come here/listen to escape reality to a degree, so that stuff is sooooo unimportant. AND We are not a "flaming" community (as in slamming others).

Now, am I r-e-a-l-l-y that worked up by this thread? Shyeah!! As if! This is a fun place and (almost) nothing can change that. :thumbsup2

I don't think the OP is a troll; some of my favorite things in the world are flawed. I think he/she likely thinks the same. We love those we love for their flaws... :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter