Please stop saying "and" in your numbers

I think the real issue, generally speaking, is the sensitivity to anything and everything in this country. I'll bet there's someone out there who's offended when "and" isn't used! If we all worried about how we said everything we'd all be raving lunatics, although, I'll bet there's a pill for that...and being in the pharma industry, perhaps I should agree with you... :-) The real question here is how do we cross this discussion over into something "Disney"???? Perhaps PC and park behavior? LOL (I try not to take myself too seriously as a rule...actually, I'm just wondering how I got sucked up into this! ha!)
I have to know now...why did you EVEN think you'd get away with trying to choose a name OTHER than "Stroller Boy"?

And for all of those people who use "and" in their numeric recitations...how do you fill out the word portions of your checks? Suppose you have a check for $1917.73...do you write out One thousand and nine hundred and seventeen and 73/100? How do you fit all that on that eensy-weensy little line???

I probably irritate the bank tellers, though...I write Nineteen hundred seventeen and 73/100.

I have to know now...why did you EVEN think you'd get away with trying to choose a name OTHER than "Stroller Boy"?

And for all of those people who use "and" in their numeric recitations...how do you fill out the word portions of your checks? Suppose you have a check for $1917.73...do you write out One thousand and nine hundred and seventeen and 73/100? How do you fit all that on that eensy-weensy little line???

I probably irritate the bank tellers, though...I write Nineteen hundred seventeen and 73/100.

Getting off the post topic, but....the funny part is that we own six strollers for two kids, and even bought a stoller specifically for our Disney trip this fall. If that's not the new definition of madness, I don't know what is.

2000 and 8, 2000 and 8, 2000 and 8! Phew, got that out of my system! LOL

:banana: Nothing to dance about, just wanted to put this guy in a post!

Oh, and I WAS going to change my username to "Stroller-boy", but now that Pete has said he's going to use his magical webmaster powers to do it.....I'm holding out.

I requested two lines for that part of my checks :) I think it's one of those things that over time has just not gotten to be a big deal. However, I did just ask my daughter if that is still taught (she's a 5th grader), and it is.

Mindy,
I haven't written a check since Two thousand and four. ;)

Gotta love online banking! :upsidedow :upsidedow :upsidedow

BTW, I miss your Ursula avatar. :sad1: ...:laughing:

Hello podsquad,

I love the podcast. You guys are great. One request...

I hate to sound like a nit, and nobody is perfect, but I'm a math teacher and it hurts me every time you guys say a number, for example "2008," but pronounce it "two-thousand and eight. Saying "and" while pronouncing a number is only to represent a decimal point, and the portion of the number spoken after the "and" represents the decimal (fractional) portion of the number.

You guys probably have youngsters listening and hopefully they have good math teachers and realize the way you guys pronounce it is wrong.

Don't come over to the UK then. This is the way it is always done.;). We were taught it that way at school. It is not wrong to me.:confused3

It seems strange to me without the and.

Don't come over to the UK then. This is the way it is always done.;). We were taught it that way at school. It is not wrong to me.:confused3

I'm glad you said this! I almost mentioned this in my previous post (work with alot of UK folks), but I wasn't sure. If I'm not mistaken, English comes from England, right (I'm sure someone will point out my mistake here...something to do with latin derivative or something...ugh)

So, I gotta tell ya, if we US folks want to be the good global citizens that we'd like to think we are...then we should lobby to have this rule changed!

First the finger print scanner, now the word "and" in numbers, we're on a roll! I can feel my stroller-boy powers growing, no wait, that's just the coffee kicking in...

It's true! I can't think of saying it any other way!
Im now going to religiously watch the news to see if they say 2000 and 8, because thats BBC English, therefore law! ;)

Im pretty sure thats how you say it anyay :confused3

I was taught by our Mathematics professor in college that the AND was pronounced only when you see a decimal point.

So..
$1,245 would be stated as, "one thousand, two hundred forty-five dollars"

$1,245.52 would be stated as, "one thousand, two hundred forty-five dollars AND fifty-two cents"

When stating non-monetary numbers the same rules apply. Two thousand eight not Two thousand AND eight because the latter would be mathematically written as 2000.8.

The class was called Teaching Elementary Mathematics. We spent an entire two weeks on correctly identifying numbers so it really stuck in my brain! The professor told us he was such a stickler because as teachers of young children we needed to be correct in order to teach it correctly!

It's true! I can't think of saying it any other way!
Im now going to religiously watch the news to see if they say 2000 and 8, because thats BBC English, therefore law! ;)

Im pretty sure thats how you say it anyay :confused3

Yeah, but you guys also use an "s" in organization.....which is totally a pet peeve of mine! LOL Actually, I find myself using the s instead of the z myself most of the time! So that's what they meant by "british invasion", ahhhh, now I get it! It's a grammar war!

Okay, enough out of me, I'm having way too much fun here. :)

Disclaimer: Since I don't take myself all that seriously, I'm hoping that no one else does!

Getting off the post topic, but....the funny part is that we own six strollers for two kids, and even bought a stoller specifically for our Disney trip this fall. If that's not the new definition of madness, I don't know what is.

2000 and 8, 2000 and 8, 2000 and 8! Phew, got that out of my system! LOL

:banana: Nothing to dance about, just wanted to put this guy in a post!

Oh, and I WAS going to change my username to "Stroller-boy", but now that Pete has said he's going to use his magical webmaster powers to do it.....I'm holding out.

You just want to see if he really has the power to, don't you?

It has been pointed out that I say " I gotta tell you..." too often.

It has also been pointed out that I use the word "actually" too much.

I dont believe that I use "and" when saying the date.

But...I gotta tell you, I actually think I'll start saying it untill two thousand and twleve. :lmao:

Now that's funny!

I gotta tell you, it's a podcast, not a public broadcasting station documentary. Y'all can talk and say 200 and 8 or I gotta tell ya, or Interventions, or Dianer, paster (pasta), all you want. It's like listening to a conversation with your friends. Does the OP correct his/her friends grammatical/linguistic faux-pas? :rolleyes:

One of the reasons this always gets such a large response is because it's just as many people pet peeve to be corrected as it is for you to hear something incorrect.

Obviously then, I'm using bad manners now too. Please excuse me.

Expert: Amanda Gamble
Date: 1/28/2006
Subject: Correcting Someones Grammar and/or Etiquette

Question
Dear Ms. Gamble,

I have a brother-in-law that loves to correct other people's grammar and/or etiquette in a public setting despite his own inadequate manners. Are these corrections considered rude? If so, how do I handle him when I see him embarrassing someone else again?

Fondly,
Melanie

Answer
Dear Melanie,
It is considered a worse breech of etiquette to point
out someone else's mistake than the mistake itself, no
matter what is is!

The only people he is qualified to correct are his
own (minor) children. Anyone else is neither his concern
nor responsibility. It can be like nails on a chalkboard
to listen to someone who doesn't speak properly or does
weird things with the butter knife. (My personal pet peeve)
However, the basis of all good etiquette is kindness towards
others, so in that vein, we all must ignore the unpleasant.

Short snappy quotes on the subject might be hard to find..

'The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones.' -Gabriol

'Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.' ~Eric Hoffer

As the point of these might be lost on your Boor in Law,
the next thing to do would be to rescue the person he is
trying to humiliate. There is a famous story of a hostess
who saw her guest drinking the contents of his finger bowl.
To save him from noticing the horrified facial expressions
of the assembled company, she promptly drank the contents
of her own finger bowl.

The world would be a much nicer place if everyone thought
so much about the feelings of others.

Best regards,
Amanda Gamble

OK, I am NOT drinking anyone's finger bowl water!! Even my own!:lmao:

I really feel for the Podcast Crew. :sad2: This board is simultaneously the most fun and the most whiny. Totally split personality! I think it is one thing to pick on DISers grammar :rolleyes: , but to nitpick the podcasters is quite something. :rolleyes1 People freak out about leaving their voice on an email, but these guys record every week for us. I think they all do a wonderful job- even though they are human. Maybe I'm weird, but the human part is one of the things that I think sets this podcast apart from the others...in a good way.

No nitpicking podcasters, unless you're BAWB. Geez...you'd think the Podcast crew had never been to Boston or something. Poor guy can't get a sentence out without someone jumping down his throat. I know he can take it and sometimes it is awfully funny. But still...

I vote for saying "and" in 2008 and for "BAWB"onics! ;)

No nitpicking podcasters, unless you're BAWB. Geez...you'd think the Podcast crew had never been to Boston or something. Poor guy can't get a sentence out without someone jumping down his throat. I know he can take it and sometimes it is awfully funny. But still...

I felt that way when I first starting listening and I actually thought they were mean to him. :laughing: The longer you listen, you realize that it's all in love. Bringing in empty Dole Whip containers- now that's mean!

I felt that way when I first starting listening and I actually thought they were mean to him. :laughing: The longer you listen, you realize that it's all in love. Bringing in empty Dole Whip containers- now that's mean!

They've said it before, and the more I listen I believe. This group of people is more than friends. They are family. The way our family can get sometimes, I'm pretty impressed with how well they behave. And, I am just happy they are willing to let us listen each week. None of them are professional speakers. They are just talking to friends.

Yeah, but you guys also use an "s" in organization.....which is totally a pet peeve of mine! LOL Actually, I find myself using the s instead of the z myself most of the time! So that's what they meant by "british invasion", ahhhh, now I get it! It's a grammar war!

Okay, enough out of me, I'm having way too much fun here. :)

Disclaimer: Since I don't take myself all that seriously, I'm hoping that no one else does!

It was our word first! :rotfl: We spell and say it: organisation

I get irritated by your prenounciation of alluminum, Edinburgh and when Julie did Store Tours in England in Epcot, i almost wet myself with Burberry! But i can get over it. ;)

I don't really get het up over it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter