Pickup truck/SUV owners intentionally blocking electric charging spaces in parking lots

mall_rated_blk-500x5001.jpg

You know, one time I was hunting for a parking space in a parking lot and I stopped just behind an SUV that just started and had its backup lights on. I wanted the space and was looking to back up a little bit so the parked driver could back up to leave. But there was a car behind me, that driver apparently wanted the same space, and he wouldn't budge. What happened then was that the diagonal space on the other side opened up, and he just drove over two concrete parking curbs and exited that way.

I'll just say it was a high clearance SUV that while capable of going off-roading was known more for being a luxury grocery getter.

I don't care who drives an electric car or who drives a truck - but I think it is stupid for people to block the charging stations.
Don’t you live in NOLA? Have you seen any of this that ppl are describing? We certainly have our share of bad/rude drivers, but I haven’t seen anything that the pps are describing related to the type of vehicles ppl drive. I find this thread fascinating!

Lots of trucks around here, driven by men and women. If you have horses or any livestock or if you hunt, a truck is important. Or if you tend to need to haul something very often.

Never heard of the coal thing nor have I seen it before. Have seen trucks with the lift kits and the big tires. Normally those are NOT driven by those who actually need a truck and few of them are owned by people that can drive said big truck let alone park it.

We have a saying “if you can’t park your big yee yee truck don’t drive a big yee yee truck”.
Or tailgate! Here many ppl literally tailgate with the truck or use it to haul equipment or trailers with equipment for games. Most ppl we know have at least one truck in the household mainly just for that purpose. My DH had one for years for that purpose & just traded it in for a Tahoe b/c we needed something more practical with DS. But, he chose that vehicle b/c it still works for our tailgating “needs”.

My part of Louisiana is filled with BAD drivers but not what I would consider rude by any means and lift kits on trucks and SUV’s is the norm here, I libe in a subdivision and I swear I’ve had nearly 2’ of water on my street at times

My part of Louisiana is filled with BAD drivers but not what I would consider rude by any means and lift kits on trucks and SUV’s is the norm here
But, I’ve never seen or heard of anyone caring about whether other ppl drive Teslas or Priuses. Maybe it’s that there aren’t many here so ppl don’t care?

I'll be honestly have never had an issue with a Tesla driver. Prius drivers, yes. They tend to have an attitude of they own the road. So much so that the nickname of the class at the California Highway Patrol Academy on dealing with aggressive drivers is nicknamed "Prius Drivers 101"

I don’t think Tesla drivers are more aggressive or worse drivers overall (some are, some aren’t, I’m sure), my point is that many of them that I have “met,” largely online but also at the Superchargers when we strike up conversations, have an unpleasant superiority complex to themselves. Not all, but an awful lot are definitely more smug than seems warranted, in my opinion, considering it’s just a car.

But, I’ve never seen or heard of anyone caring about whether other ppl drive Teslas or Priuses. Maybe it’s that there aren’t many here so ppl don’t care?

I wouldn't want to drive them, but I certainly don't care what other people drive. We do have a bigger truck, an F-250. Until last month, it was DH's main vehicle. Now he uses it to haul firewood for his parents, his bee-keeping equipment, or whatever else we need, pull the trailer when needed, get wood or materials for his wood shop, drive to work when the roads are bad or to navigate the back-backroads when the main roads are flooded, etc. A lot of people here have trucks and use them as trucks. There are some around with lift kits and huge tires on them, but not the majority and they are usually driven by teenagers/younger people.

The only time I've ever noticed a car-charging station was in a Walmart parking lot while we were on vacation.

I drive around 30k miles per year, or a bit more. For that reason, I tried buying a Prius a few years ago. I can't say I noticed drivers being obnoxious toward me when I was driving it. I absolutely hated the car, so I didn't keep it too long thankfully.

I don’t think Tesla drivers are more aggressive or worse drivers overall (some are, some aren’t, I’m sure), my point is that many of them that I have “met,” largely online but also at the Superchargers when we strike up conversations, have an unpleasant superiority complex to themselves. Not all, but an awful lot are definitely more smug than seems warranted, in my opinion, considering it’s just a car.
D1EE8B7A-C53D-4C05-9077-54034B794930.jpeg

I drive nothing but toyota hybrid vehicles (two prius, one Camry), and I definitely get treated obnoxiously by other drivers on the road. Two examples. I'll come up to someone driving pathetically slow in the right lane (even slower than me....LOL), and go to pass them. When they see they are being passed by a Prius, they speed up. Really, really annoying. Second example. I drive in the right lane 95% of the time, and rarely go over the speed limit because I get better fuel economy (usually right at the speed limit) As long as I'm in the right lane, you bet I'm entitled to do that. But, I get lots of tailgaters who seem to think I should drive much faster in the right lane. Sorry if that offends you, but seriously, that is what the LEFT lane is for. On a road with only one lane, I go with the flow of traffic. I am well aware that lots of people automatically assume that Prius drivers "go too slowly" and work hard to avoid that impression. But, it doesn't matter. There's a certain cadre of people on the road who HATE hybrid and electric vehicles (as evidenced by coal rollers, and people who block access to chargers....the gist of this thread). Who knows why? They get off on creating problems for other people. Sick human beings.

I think the stereotype of a Toyota Prius drivers is they feel they own the road, roll through stop signs, and refuse to yield to other cars. We rented a Fusion Hybrid for a week in Phoenix in March, and I have to admit with all those gizmos on the dash coaching you how to get better mileage, I found myself backing off the gas a hair to get the car to switch to full EV mode, and I found myself braking sooner, and lighter before a stop light or sign to recharge the batteries. We loved the car so much my daughter bought one in April, and it is sitting in my driveway right now. She gets pretty amazing mileage given that most of her driving is on the freeway, which is not the best use of a hybrid.

My son wants a Tesla. He currently has a Fiat 500 E electric. It has worked out so far, despite the range of only 70 miles, helped by the fact that he and his wife both live less than 10 miles from work, and both work for public agencies that provide free parking and free charging for employees. They do have a gasoline powered car for longer trips.

I think the stereotype of a Toyota Prius drivers is they feel they own the road, roll through stop signs, and refuse to yield to other cars. We rented a Fusion Hybrid for a week in Phoenix in March, and I have to admit with all those gizmos on the dash coaching you how to get better mileage, I found myself backing off the gas a hair to get the car to switch to full EV mode, and I found myself braking sooner, and lighter before a stop light or sign to recharge the batteries. We loved the car so much my daughter bought one in April, and it is sitting in my driveway right now. She gets pretty amazing mileage given that most of her driving is on the freeway, which is not the best use of a hybrid.

It's not bad on the freeway though. I thought that the gist was to use a more efficient engine that might not necessarily be adequate on its own, but that the electric motor assists on acceleration, operates alone at low speeds (may vary by system), and recaptures energy through regenerative braking. The numbers I've seen are that it's roughly the same fuel economy freeway and city driving for something like a standard Prius.

The most efficient speed is actually about 30-35 MPH because of less effect from drag and tire rolling resistance. However, most people don't drive those speeds on the freeway, and on surface streets has to deal with stop signs and traffic lights.

It's not bad on the freeway though. I thought that the gist was to use a more efficient engine that might not necessarily be adequate on its own, but that the electric motor assists on acceleration, operates alone at low speeds (may vary by system), and recaptures energy through regenerative braking. The numbers I've seen are that it's roughly the same fuel economy freeway and city driving for something like a standard Prius.

The most efficient speed is actually about 30-35 MPH because of less effect from drag and tire rolling resistance. However, most people don't drive those speeds on the freeway, and on surface streets has to deal with stop signs and traffic lights.
Yeah, my daughter is getting about 40 mpg over all, mostly freeway driving, which is nearly twice the 23 mpg she was getting with her Taurus, which is now my Taurus. I filled up the Taurus up in the foothills yesterday, and got it up to 33.5 mpg.....DOWN HILL.......coming home. We have (had) 4 Hybrid Escapes (2008's) at work....down to 3 after one got totaled, but they stopped buying the hybrid versions because the extra cost of buying and insuring them off set the fueling savings with how we use them. A second of them SHOULD have been totaled, it got rear ended and apparently the insurance adjuster and the independent body shop had not dealt with a hybrid that had been rear ended. I guess the battery compartment is made of a hardened steel not sheet metal that basically has to be replaced, it can't be straightened. That Escape was in the shop for nearly a year before the repairs and insurance approvals got sorted out.

Last edited:
Or tailgate! Here many ppl literally tailgate with the truck or use it to haul equipment or trailers with equipment for games. Most ppl we know have at least one truck in the household mainly just for that purpose. My DH had one for years for that purpose & just traded it in for a Tahoe b/c we needed something more practical with DS. But, he chose that vehicle b/c it still works for our tailgating “needs”.

Yep forgot about tailgating! It is amazing to me the amount of stuff everyone takes to the games! Lol.

Yep forgot about tailgating! It is amazing to me the amount of stuff everyone takes to the games! Lol.

Hatchbacks are ideal for tailgating, especially with fold-down rear seats.

Unrelated, but tailgaters need to be careful. I've read about people just dumping their hot coals in unoccupied spaces (rather than designated dumping sites) where the eventual parker in that space didn't notice it.

jets2A.jpg

I drive around 30k miles per year, or a bit more. For that reason, I tried buying a Prius a few years ago. I can't say I noticed drivers being obnoxious toward me when I was driving it. I absolutely hated the car, so I didn't keep it too long thankfully.

While I don't necessarily know about all of the other issues being discussed on this thread, I will say that in general I find Priuses (and I guess their drivers) to be annoying in that I feel that car needs a gas pedal! They are always going slow in the wrong lane and just don't move fast AT ALL.

I really don't pay much attention to what anyone drives, but this is something that I notice and am irritated by time and time again. For this reason alone, I would never own one. This may not be rational, but this is how I feel...lol!

Hatchbacks are ideal for tailgating, especially with fold-down rear seats.

Unrelated, but tailgaters need to be careful. I've read about people just dumping their hot coals in unoccupied spaces (rather than designated dumping sites) where the eventual parker in that space didn't notice it.

jets2A.jpg
Hatchback would not cover the stuff we & others bring. Most ppl I know pull trailers or have trucks & large SUVs filled to the brim. Lol!

Don’t you live in NOLA? Have you seen any of this that ppl are describing? We certainly have our share of bad/rude drivers, but I haven’t seen anything that the pps are describing related to the type of vehicles ppl drive. I find this thread fascinating!
No I haven't seen or heard anything like this at all.

Last year I went back to Foster City, CA where I lived before I retired. Tesla has moved in big time and there were Tesla buildings and offices everywhere and lots of charging stations. But I never heard or saw anyone do anything obnoxious - even the long-term older Foster City residents who generally don't like change.

The car my DH and I rented out there was a hybrid. The cars we were driving at home were 12 years old with zero new technology - still started with a key, etc. As it was a hybrid we had to go ask how to turn it on (couldn't hear it) and how to change gears. Talk about feeling STUPID. We now have a 2018 car and have learned the new stuff. We still laugh about our ignorance.

No I haven't seen or heard anything like this at all.

Last year I went back to Foster City, CA where I lived before I retired. Tesla has moved in big time and there were Tesla buildings and offices everywhere and lots of charging stations. But I never heard or saw anyone do anything obnoxious - even the long-term older Foster City residents who generally don't like change.

The car my DH and I rented out there was a hybrid. The cars we were driving at home were 12 years old with zero new technology - still started with a key, etc. As it was a hybrid we had to go ask how to turn it on (couldn't hear it) and how to change gears. Talk about feeling STUPID. We now have a 2018 car and have learned the new stuff. We still laugh about our ignorance.

I haven't bought a new car in a while, but have rented a few. Also borrowed by BIL's car. How some operate takes getting used to - especially wireless key systems. With one rental I couldn't figure out where I dropped the key, but it was close enough that I could still start the car. In my BIL's car I was trying to figure out how to turn on the accessory power without starting the engine since we were waiting in line for an hour before a ferry boarding. I just wanted to listen to the radio. The oddest was renting a Chrysler 200 (where I'd dropped the wireless key) since it had an electronic switch for the parking brake. Unlike a mechanical pedal or lever, I could only rely on the light to tell me if the brake was set.

I think it can get scary too. At least that Chrysler 200 had a knob as a shifter where I could see what it was selecting. There was an actor (Anton Yelchin) who died - apparently because he couldn't figure out this electronic shifter. It physically only went forward or backwards to electronically select the position/gear.

In my BIL's car I was trying to figure out how to turn on the accessory power without starting the engine since we were waiting in line for an hour before a ferry boarding. I just wanted to listen to the radio.

Isn't that case almost universal?

You press the button without your foot on the brake. Once is the same as the first click, twice is the same as the second click on a regular keyed ignition. Every push button car has worked that way for me, various manufacturers.

What does vary is what to do when the battery in the key is dead and you still want to start the car. My wife's car has a special holder in the center console to place the key so it is close enough to be energized by the car. My neighbors Honda you basically just use the key to push the start button.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter