Pickup truck/SUV owners intentionally blocking electric charging spaces in parking lots

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
I don't get it. There was at least one case in North Carolina where it was clear the owners of these vehicles were shouting profanities at owners of Tesla vehicles who wanted to use designated Telsa charging stations. It's also illegal in Washington State.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tru...sla-superchargers-in-ice-ing-protests-2018-12
https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/traffic/article149152879.html

Apparently some diesel drivers intentionally rig their engines to dump excess fuel into their engines such that they spew black smoke, and then gun the engines when next to electric car drivers.

I've certainly heard/seen situations where drivers intentionally flouted rules. I had a coworkers who mentioned that he no compunction about taking up two compact car spaces with his large pickup truck, since compact cars were free to take up larger parking spaces. And I remember being at a mall with security waiting for a tow truck to arrive to tow away a car (it was a mid-level "luxury" brand) taking up two parking spaces. I would think that since this is private property, the business owner can have a vehicle towed for violating their rules.

Apparently some diesel drivers intentionally rig their engines to dump excess fuel into their engines such that they spew black smoke, and then gun the engines when next to electric car drivers.

Don't have a Tesla, but wanted to add that Colorado just passed a law this year making this illegal. They were purposely spewing the black smoke at cyclists. I had it happen to me twice while I was in the bike lane at a stop light. The jerks just laughed as they gunned their trucks on the green light.

I think that compact car spaces are not intended to benefit compact car drivers but rather to benefit real estate developers and building owners in being able to meet zoning requirements for having X spaces by creating substandard sized spaces.

I have been in numerous parking lots with substandard spaces not marked "compact". Cars might not necessarily be straddling two spaces but here and there there are cars parked off center so the driver can open the door and get out but the next space is too narrow for someone else to open the door and get out.

Last edited:
I think that compact car spaces are not intended to benefit compact car drivers but rather to benefit real estate developers and building owners in being able to meet zoning requirements for having X spaces by creating substandard sized spaces.

I have been in numerous parking lots with substandard spaces not marked "compact". Cars might not necessarily be straddling two spaces but here and there there are cars parked off center so the driver can get out but the next space is too narrow to use.

I've been there. The Hilton Anaheim has some ridiculously narrow spaces. I've thought of parking on the upper floors just so I didn't need to worry about getting my car door dinged, especially if it was a rental car.

Costco and Walmart are on the opposite spectrum. I've never seen a compact space, and they'll spread out the spaces even if that means a longer average walking distance to the entrance.

I've been there. The Hilton Anaheim has some ridiculously narrow spaces. I've thought of parking on the upper floors just so I didn't need to worry about getting my car door dinged, especially if it was a rental car.

Costco and Walmart are on the opposite spectrum. I've never seen a compact space, and they'll spread out the spaces even if that means a longer average walking distance to the entrance.

my complaint with walmarts in our area is that they've taken every available close parking spot and designated it strictly for pick up orders. i've seen people get pick up order of only a few items delivered to their cars so i suspect people have figured out that they can get a prime parking spot by placing an order for 2 or 3 items when they plan to do the bulk of their shopping themselves.

But in Nashville, it’s a good dating tell if you encounter someone who drives one.

Well - I don't really get this commericial, especially that SHE wants the pickup truck and not the SUV. Do women really want to drive pickup trucks?

I also looked into the price of all of these. MSRP of about $57,000 for the pickup and $67,000 for the SUV.

Well - I don't really get this commericial, especially that SHE wants the pickup truck and not the SUV. Do women really want to drive pickup trucks?

I also looked into the price of all of these. MSRP of about $57,000 for the pickup and $67,000 for the SUV.

There are tons of women around here who drive trucks that I swear I’d have to get a running start to get into. Nashville has some weird quirks and you’re either pro or con big trucks and those people are pro and con the downtown honkytonk area...it’s an interesting city. I’m convinced that one day the hipsters and the rednecks are going to rumble ala west side story. It’ll be like jack white and Chris Stapleton leading the respective packs.

ETA: there is a running joke that if you don’t have a hitch on your truck, you probably don’t need it.

Last edited:

Well, yes. That's the kind of "car" our daughter wanted when it was time for her to get her first car.

Hell yeah, women in the south drive pickup trucks all the time. My sister has one. Her husband has a car.

Did anyone else see the video on line of the woman trying to find where to pump gas into her Tesla? It was pretty funny.

Yes, it's called rolling coal. I live in the south, where brodozers....uh, pick up trucks...are the norm. Each to their own, but I don't get it. At all. Buying a pick up, lifting it 6" higher and putting giant rims with rubber band tires. :rolleyes2

I have been in numerous parking lots with substandard spaces not marked "compact". Cars might not necessarily be straddling two spaces but here and there there are cars parked off center so the driver can open the door and get out but the next space is too narrow for someone else to open the door and get out.

At least here the City dictates the number and size of parking spots. They want to encourage public transit.
This brand new apartment complex, built for college students has 50 parking slots for 1,000 residents.

My first two vehicles were pickup trucks! I loved them! Especially my standard - she was totally my baby!

I have a problem with that douchebag of a guy buying a vehicle for his wife/SO without even asking what she likes and just automatically assuming she'd do cartwheels over an SUV. Honey, take both the truck and SUV and dump that loser.

I have a problem with that douchebag of a guy buying a vehicle for his wife/SO without even asking what she likes and just automatically assuming she'd do cartwheels over an SUV. Honey, take both the truck and SUV and dump that loser.

Wouldn't that be considered community property in most states?

One of our local malls, hemmed in by highways and steep embankments, thought they were smart when they redid their parking lot lines to make more, yet smaller, parking spots. Then people just started parking in two spots at once, as no one could get out of the cars when they were parked in the tiny spots. They've since made them a bit bigger, but my Honda CRV didn't fit in some of the open spots when we went there before Christmas. It was pretty frustrating.

Yes, it's called rolling coal. I live in the south, where brodozers....uh, pick up trucks...are the norm. Each to their own, but I don't get it. At all. Buying a pick up, lifting it 6" higher and putting giant rims with rubber band tires. :rolleyes2

We have a saying around here that might not be Disboard approved, which relates the size of the truck to something else. It's an indirect/inverse proportion :)

Hell yeah, women in the south drive pickup trucks all the time. My sister has one. Her husband has a car.

Did anyone else see the video on line of the woman trying to find where to pump gas into her Tesla? It was pretty funny.

Well - I was looking at the designer house and the look out of central casting. If this was a real couple, I would think it would be Range Rovers or BMWs and not GMCs.

Some people are just jerks. Why would anyone want to make someone else's life more difficult or unpleasant intentionally? I just don't understand how they derive pleasure from that.

MANY people are simply 1 brick shy of a load.

ROLLING COAL ----

I bicycled 138 miles today and had a few vehicles pass very close but no ROLLING COAL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter