Pete's rants for 8/05/09

I am a successful woman and didn't see the comments as being even remotely sexist in anyway as described above. I have never heard the phrase before so maybe I am a bit sheltered. Wouldn't it hold the same implications if it was "cleaning man" or janitor?

Good point Nikki. i didn't view it as sexist either. If Meg were Mark, I can easily imagine Pete saying janitor instead.

The thing with Meg Crofton is that yes, Disney is well known for promoting from within and people moving up into management positions starting at everything from ride operators, store clerks and yes, cleaning women and janitors. However it is usually a process, you don't go from store clerk to head decorator in one fell swoop. Moving Meg Crofton from head of HR to head of Walt Disney World resort is ridiculous IMHO, but it has nothing to do with her being a woman and I don't believe that is Pete's issue with her either.

On a Side Note: I am head of HR at the MUCH smaller than Disney company that I work for and if they told me I was being promoted to or even being considered for the job of president of the company, I'd be looking around for the Candid Camera cameras. :rotfl:

I am a successful woman and didn't see the comments as being even remotely sexist in anyway as described above. I have never heard the phrase before so maybe I am a bit sheltered. Wouldn't it hold the same implications if it was "cleaning man" or janitor?

I don't think Crofton has as much experience or know how as Ouimet. Does she know what she is doing? In my opinion, she does not. She's caused a lot of downfalls in the company espcially over the past two years. If you want to say that they're bad decisions, so be it. If someone wants to say she doesn't know what she's doing, so be it. In the end, I think we most of us can agree that the decision regarding the dining plan is not a very good one.

Hug it out ----> :grouphug:

To me, if you saw a successful Hispanic or African American, and called him a janitor because of something he did, then that would be implying that he did not deserve his successful place and belongs in the stereotypical role. The same thing could be said for a woman in power and the term "cleaning lady." I personally would not be offended by this, but I can see why someone would be. I also don't think this is what Pete meant, but it could be easily taken that way.

Also, your second paragraph was absolutely right.

I hope I don't have to say anything else, I don't like making speeches like this, but they just tend to pour out of me. :confused3

Kevin, A "plank-eye" argument comes from the saying "Do not remove the speck from your brother's eye when you should be removing the plank from your own eye." It's essentially a warning against self-righteousness and hypocrisy. I'm sorry, I should have clarified, since what I wrote was pretty vague. And I was not suggesting you have anything to apologize for. I guess I just got carried away in that I wanted to defend why I was feeling the way I was. I wanted to "hug it out" because I was trying to lighten the mood. I guess I didn't succeed. No one really said anything, but I'm sorry if it was taken that way. Oh well, life goes on. I'm finished.

I'm not certain I see what that has to do with anything thats been said..

I was simply pointing out that I thought someone was doing the same thing that they thought was wrong when someone else did it.

I understood that. It's not right to be a hypocrite. My point is that even if it's not fair, Pete is held to a higher standard because of the position that he is in. One of the reasons we love Pete is because he is a "Real" person, but even those known for being outspoken can go too far. Comedians sometimes go too far and we expect extreme things to come out of their mouths. But, to your point, this isn't about you. I don't see a need to complain to you about something that someone else did. We've disagreed before, but listened to each other and came to a happy medium afterward. I want to keep that type of accord with you, so in the words of a wise man, "With this.....I'm pretty much done discussing this."

It's hard to disagree with your friends. It's easier to do with strangers. :) I think that Pete went too far with his rant. I think that if you have a valid point, you can get it across without insulting the person. It's like with a political debate. Nothing turns me off quicker than if the person starts throwing insults about what the other person has done wrong and attacking their character. Same with the rant. I'm not a cleaning lady, I don't work in HR. Heck, I don't even have a job. So, to somehow identify with the person he attacked, I can't do.

You are really upset with the price increases. I think they are justified. The cost of food has gone up this past year. I don't think you are wrong for what you believe, and I don't believe I have to say that I am wrong. We just have different feelings and no one is really right or wrong.

Nicole, I never said that you were wrong for your opinions and I was right. I also never said that you needed to say that you were wrong. Discussions are about sharing opinions; that's what I did through my posts.

I have used the regular dining plan once and that was on a trip I took with colleagues (a rarity). From what I learned recently, this peak season price increase for the plan is not going to affect the deluxe which is what we normally get. So, in a way this does not directly affect me at this time in my life. Still, I am annoyed by it because I do think it is greedy and somewhat manipulative. That's why I started my other thread and responded here --- to hear other people's opinions. :thumbsup2

My DH posted this on another thread and I thought it was funny. :rotfl2:

croft.jpg

- Bill

:surfweb: Jennifer

I just wanted to pop in and say.....

I love all of you! :love: :grouphug:

That is all....Have a good day! :)

I am thoroughly confused. I don't understand why everyone is implying that arguments are being had here. I don't even see them as heated discussions. I just see people sharing opinions. :confused:

Love that "Wallet Raider" poster:goodvibes:goodvibes

My dad calls the Monorail the MONEYrail because you have your money when you get on but you don't have it when you ride back. :woohoo::woohoo:

This is like telling someone "I'm not saying your fat....I'm saying you look fat".

It's still negative labeling , however you slice it.

All I was doing was pointing out that it's easy do.

Completely agree with this.
I finally had the opportunity to listen to the 'contraversial' podcast tonight and I thoroughly enjoyed Pete's rant. I love Pete's upfront honesty, he says what he's thinking...that's a huge part of why I love listening to him. He speaks from his heart and with a passion that I seldom see in this world of political correctness.

I think something else that might not have been considered is whether or not Meg Crofton was really even responsible for the changes. I work for a much smaller company than Disney, much smaller, but even at our size company this type of decision is made in a pricing committee. I've been in on some of these and there is often heated debate on the course of action to take. However, once the decision is made and the door opens everyone presents a united front as though the decision was unanimous. This is true not only to the staff but to the share holders and public.

For all we know Meg Crofton was a voice of dissension behind closed doors but her position required she be the barer of bad news regardless of whether or not she was in favor of the decision. I am implementing a project now in a way I didn't want to, but was over ruled in committee. When I work with the vendors and train the staff though I treat it as though it is my baby, because I have be perceived to be on board in order to get the staff on board.

The same thought ran through my mind.:thumbsup2

Another poster a few pages back mentioned voting with your dollars. That is exactly what you and I, as Disney product consumers, can do in situations like this and others that WILL come up in the future. If Disney World wants to stay in business (and of course they do), they will watch the numbers and how their decisions have affected the bottom line. If you don't like the dining plan at a higher price, don't buy it. If you don't like the higher prices of the rooms, park tickets, cost and value of the food they serve, etc, don't go to Disney. Etc, etc, etc.

Now, of course if management doesn't pay attention to the $$ votes from their consumers, the fault is theirs. If they go belly-up because of stupid decisions and poor management, they have no one to blame but themselves.

I hope this post doesn't come across as snarky or too sarcastic, because I don't mean it that way; I do understand the frustations of the Podcast team, and believe me, MANY others share those frustrations. Only can only hope that Disney management will figure it out and realize the votes of their customers. If not, their former consumers will find another way to spend their hard-earned vacation dollars.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter