Pete's rants for 8/05/09

I hope this post doesn't come across as snarky or too sarcastic, because I don't mean it that way

:thumbsup2 I didn't think your post came off being snarky. This thread could have easily gotten off-track. But, it hasn't and I totally appreciate having a "civil" conversation with all you DISers! Great job!

I totally agree that if you don't like the prices ... DON'T GO!!!!!!!

We only have ourselves to blame if we contribute to this corporate greed. Yes, I totally understand Disney is a company and has shareholders to answer to. However, they also have consumers to keep happy with their product or there is no income for the company. It has to be a give and take relationship. Not just a take-take relationship as Disney is showing right now. Maybe in the past, people would just hand over their hard earned cash to Disney without batting an eyelash. We love Disney and EVERYTHING Disney. Personally, I feel as though I am getting the short end of the stick on this relationship right now. :guilty: (Just my humble opinion.)

:goodvibes Jennifer

:thumbsup2 I didn't think your post came off being snarky. This thread could have easily gotten off-track. But, it hasn't and I totally appreciate having a "civil" conversation with all you DISers! Great job!

I totally agree that if you don't like the prices ... DON'T GO!!!!!!!

We only have ourselves to blame if we contribute to this corporate greed. Yes, I totally understand Disney is a company and has shareholders to answer to. However, they also have consumers to keep happy with their product or there is no income for the company. It has to be a give and take relationship. Not just a take-take relationship as Disney is showing right now. Maybe in the past, people would just hand over their hard earned cash to Disney without batting an eyelash. We love Disney and EVERYTHING Disney. Personally, I feel as though I am getting the short end of the stick on this relationship right now. :guilty: (Just my humble opinion.)

:goodvibes Jennifer

Hi Jennifer - after I read my first 2 paragraphs, I thought it sounded a bit harsh, so I put that disclaimer. :goodvibes It's so hard to get someone's tone when you're typing online...so I just wanted to clarify. :thumbsup2

I agree with you 100% - everyone has a "breaking point." Yours and mine might be different, but everyone who has and will continue to spend $$ with Disney has a point at which they might have to say, sorry, can't any longer. Of course it is expensive to go, and I for one feel that Disney is worth it for the most part, since I enjoy myself so much. That being said, if things get too out of hand price-wise (and value-wise as well), I am going to have to re-evaulate how much I am willing to spend and how often I vacation there.

In any industry and with any product, you are not going to have 100% of the populace loving and buying what you're selling, but to be successful, that % of happy and eager spenders has to be pretty good or else you're toast. (Wish I had a smiley here of a toaster! :rotfl:)

I just have to share some of my frustration.

We announced that we would have a Dis only ABD trip on April 13th, 2010.
This is not inexpensive and yet, we sold out all 40 spaces in 36 hours.

We have repeatedly told ABD that we are READY to book all 40 spaces and place deposits.

ABD quoted us a price, we quoted our guests the price and ABD decided the price should be higher.

When I threatened to scrap the whole deal...ABD relented and agreed to the original price.

We delivered a signed contract on July 12, 2009 stating that we agreed to pay for all 40 spaces on this particular Adventure.

We had to wait for ABDE to load the information and then for the release date.

I didnt call on the actual release date figuring they might be busy and that I would probably just tie someone up all day.

I called to pay the deposit on all 40 spaces on Wednesday 8/11 and was told that our Adventure is locked and that no one knows how to unlock it. I was also the "the IT department is at lunch". I asked if I could fax all 40 reservations and have them booked and sent back. I was told the ABD fax wasnt working.

I called again today to book all 40 spaces and pay the deposit.

I'm told that our Adventure is still locked and that because it's a bit different...it has to be specially built.

This has not been done as of yet.

I'm sharing this so that you get just a glimpse of where our frustration comes from when you hear us discuss the difficulties of working with a billion dollar company.

AAAGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, Kevin, that sounds awful. Yikes - the fax machine isn't working?! ABD is booking very nice and expensive vacations and their fax machine doesn't work AND the IT dept is at lunch?! :headache: Guess they don't want your money that bad, huh? :confused3

This is like telling someone "I'm not saying your fat....I'm saying you look fat".

It's still negative labeling , however you slice it.

All I was doing was pointing out that it's easy do.

Actually I disagree a bit. It is commenting on an action, not an appearance. Small difference, but in this case I can see the point. Pete is not childish, his comments can be observed as childish, or juvenile. That is a big difference.

Kevin:

Is it just me or does it sound like ABD is S T A L L I N G? Or could a company just be that poorly run (one broken fax machine and the entire IT department out to lunch at the same time. What, does the IT department consist of one person)? Something smells fishy here. Good luck, I don't envy you.

Actually I disagree a bit. It is commenting on an action, not an appearance. Small difference, but in this case I can see the point. Pete is not childish, his comments can be observed as childish, or juvenile. That is a big difference.

I'm confused...is it a small difference or a big difference.

Please dont take offense at this as I am trying further the conversation....

Would it make a difference if I said..."I'm not saying you are stupid....I'm saying you have been observed as being stupid"?

Still derogatory no matter how you slice it, in my opinion.

Joan Rivers was on Johnny Carson one time and he called he out for making fun of Elizabeth Taylor for being fat.

Johnny said that Elizabeth would like an apology.

Joan said..."I'm sorry she's fat"

Semantics can be tricky.

We have repeatedly told ABD that we are READY to book all 40 spaces and place deposits.

ABD quoted us a price, we quoted our guests the price and ABD decided the price should be higher.

When I threatened to scrap the whole deal...ABD relented and agreed to the original price.

We delivered a signed contract on July 12, 2009 stating that we agreed to pay for all 40 spaces on this particular Adventure.

I didnt call on the actual release date figuring they might be busy and that I would probably just tie someone up all day.

I called to pay the deposit on all 40 spaces on Wednesday 8/11 and was told that our Adventure is locked and that no one knows how to unlock it. I was also the "the IT department is at lunch". I asked if I could fax all 40 reservations and have them booked and sent back. I was told the ABD fax wasnt working.

I'm told that our Adventure is still locked and that because it's a bit different...it has to be specially built.

I'm sharing this so that you get just a glimpse of where our frustration comes from when you hear us discuss the difficulties of working with a billion dollar company.

AAAGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin, I completely get that you are frustrated. I could hear the frustration with ABD in the podcast yesterday. I understand the need to vent. I would be disappointed if I never again heard a rant from Pete. I think he usually makes a great argument. And, you all did a great job yesterday of getting your point across. I am completely baffled about this. If I were interested in ABD anytime in the near future, I'd be worried.

But, think back to those kindergarten days. Kids fight. They argue. They get upset with each other. It's great to let them work it out. But, we usually step in when name calling starts. Why? Because it's not nice. You are right. It is easy to do. People get frustrated and it's easy to say things that aren't nice. But, then you calm down and you realize that it wasn't nice and you try not to do it again. I love the rants, I just didn't appreciate the personal attacks at individuals.

AAAGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what I don't understand about Disney. The IT department is at lunch? Really? Is the IT department one person in an office with no windows surrounded by computers and hard drives? This should be a world-class operation yet I've never known Disney to have decent computer systems whether it be the website, the reservation systems or anything else I can think of.

Would it make a difference if I said..."I'm not saying you are stupid....I'm saying you have been observed as being stupid"?

I think saying something like that thing you did was stupid would be calling the action stupid as opposed to the person.

You are stupid because you left your doors unlocked while not home.

as compared to

Leaving your doors unlocked while not home is stupid.

One is calling the action something the other is calling the person something.

Alright people, enough already. Pete's rant is more than a week old. I'm sure he knows how we feel even if he hasn't posted on this thread. Let it go. I'm happy that everyone has kept it respectful, but enough is enough. Constantly going back and forth with Kevin isn't going to solve anything. Let's say Kevin says "Ok you're right, that was childish of Pete". ...................Now what? :confused3 What that solve anything? No, it would not. Kevin is not Pete's spokesman, so move on to ranting about ABD. They deserve some criticism. :thumbsup2

Alright people, enough already. Pete's rant is more than a week old. I'm sure he knows how we feel even if he hasn't posted on this thread. Let it go. I'm happy that everyone has kept it respectful, but enough is enough. Constantly going back and forth with Kevin isn't going to solve anything. Let's say Kevin says "Ok you're right, that was childish of Pete". ...................Now what? :confused3 What that solve anything? No, it would not. Kevin is not Pete's spokesman, so move on to ranting about ABD. They deserve some criticism. :thumbsup2

I don't think anyone is looking for anything other than an expression of feelings about a particular podcast. This is a free forum for us and is very much appreciated. If people feel like discussing it a week after the fact, what harm is there?

What is the point of any of the threads around here? Opinion rarely changes, but the act of discussion has it's own reward as you get to express yourself and have your voice heard.

I am usually a pretty smart and considerate person. Sometimes I do a stupid thing and wish I hadn't.

I would accept if you called me out on my inconsiderate action. But please don't call me a stupid person.

Joan Rivers was on Johnny Carson one time and he called her out for making fun of Elizabeth Taylor for being fat.

Johnny said that Elizabeth would like an apology.

Joan said..."I'm sorry she's fat"

Semantics can be tricky.

Ahhh.... That is an apology that is in no way an apology!
Joan might be a nice person, but in perhaps stating the the truth (Taylor probably was fat) and making fun of Taylor, she was not acting in a kind or compassionate way.
On the other hand, Joan Rivers' job as comedian - does that allow her to make fun of people?

Semantics can be tricky.

I see a difference. :)

Anyways, it is not a big deal, Pete is a good guy and I still respect your show and his experiences. I certainly am in no way upset, outraged, mad, depressed, or suicidal over it. I am leaving for Disney in three days, so you guys can't get to me!

:rotfl2:

Now, off to listen to some old shows!

AAAGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow! This is really bad customer service on their part! It almost sounds arrogant too. You never, EVER turn away a customer who is WANTING to pay you, especially for an order of this size. You should try and find the contact info for someone at top level management for ABD and fire off a letter/email to them.

I don't think anyone is looking for anything other than an expression of feelings about a particular podcast. This is a free forum for us and is very much appreciated. If people feel like discussing it a week after the fact, what harm is there?

What is the point of any of the threads around here? Opinion rarely changes, but the act of discussion has it's own reward as you get to express yourself and have your voice heard.

That was my OPINION! You don't have to agree. I don't see the sense in repeating yourself over and over again, which is what SOME are doing. And I put an emphasis on complaining to Kevin about Pete's words. Holla!

That was my OPINION! You don't have to agree. I don't see the sense in repeating yourself over and over again, which is what SOME are doing. And I put an emphasis on complaining to Kevin about Pete's words. Holla!

You asked a question and I tried my best to answer it....:confused3

Now what? :confused3 What that solve anything? No, it would not. Kevin is not Pete's spokesman, so move on to ranting about ABD. They deserve some criticism. :thumbsup2

You asked what it would solve and I explained it really wouldn't solve much, but it would allow people to discuss...very civilly and openly. Great great things in my opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter