• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pete, Kevin, John, podcast team, RU23?

The Buckle store has a punch card and Baskin Robbins now has a card for one of their Blast drinks. And as a loyal customer I am going to do my very best to make sure that I hit that loyalty mark of ten as quickly as I can. Their Oreos and Cream Cappuccino Blast is delish!

I think just the season pass alone is a loyalty tool. They are saving you money by making that available...places like food stores and gas stations don't have that ability. Imagine how much 3-4 trips per year (as lots of DVC people do) would cost if you didn't have the ability to get a reasonably priced season pass? They are losing money by offering it to you in the long term for those people but they do it anyways to save you money. Also they recently had tons of great savings for vacations and free nights and money back etc etc for those w/o DVC who are only going once every so often. Not everything needs to be about saving you money.

I think just the season pass alone is a loyalty tool. They are saving you money by making that available...places like food stores and gas stations don't have that ability. Imagine how much 3-4 trips per year (as lots of DVC people do) would cost if you didn't have the ability to get a reasonably priced season pass? They are losing money by offering it to you in the long term for those people but they do it anyways to save you money. Also they recently had tons of great savings for vacations and free nights and money back etc etc for those w/o DVC who are only going once every so often. Not everything needs to be about saving you money.

Disney definitely isn't losing money by people buying season passes. If anything WDW is making more money on those people that have annual passes than people that only buy 5 day MYW tickets. We are six hours away and have seasonal annual passes and have had them for over ten years. We go at least two times and sometimes three times a year because we feel that we "need" to go more than once to get our money's worth on the tickets. So during each trip we are paying to stay on property, eat on property and souvies during the trip. If we didn't have those annual passes we might go to WDW once a year therefore WDW would lose our resort, food and misc. money from the other trips. No not everything needs to be about saving me money but it can be about showing the people that tend to dump the most money into a place a little appreciation. And usually from a customer's stand that means some sort of monetary savings. Even something as little as a pin, some cookies or small goodie basket upon checking in after the X number of stays would be magical.

Disney definitely isn't losing money by people buying season passes. If anything WDW is making more money on those people that have annual passes than people that only buy 5 day MYW tickets. We are six hours away and have seasonal annual passes and have had them for over ten years. We go at least two times and sometimes three times a year because we feel that we "need" to go more than once to get our money's worth on the tickets. So during each trip we are paying to stay on property, eat on property and souvies during the trip. If we didn't have those annual passes we might go to WDW once a year therefore WDW would lose our resort, food and misc. money from the other trips. No not everything needs to be about saving me money but it can be about showing the people that tend to dump the most money into a place a little appreciation. And usually from a customer's stand that means some sort of monetary savings. Even something as little as a pin, some cookies or small goodie basket upon checking in after the X number of stays would be magical.

Again I'm not saying that all of that wouldn't be appreciated...I would love extra stuff. I just wouldn't blame Disney for not throwing a ton of free extra stuff that they haven't given in the past due to the poor economy.

And really I'm just trying to defend the D23 mainly because it is what 3 days old? There's no way to tell what its going to be like and what benefits you will get etc. The only info that seems to be out there so far is the magazine which has gotten amazing reviews and would be $64 dollars a year alone, and there seems to be a pre-screening of Pixar's Up (with no additional details). Plus the free gift (which might very well be a pin like you were saying) but no one knows what it is yet.

I am just not wanting to throw any stones at Disney before I know what this is all about, which is why I'm doing my best to defend what they have made.

I think I see things differently as I live 15 miles away from Disney.

You would be utterly amazed at the number of locals who dont go anywhere near Disney property. Disney does things to lure them to the parks.

Annual passes are not a loyalty program. They are a way to bring people back again and again so that they will buy food, soda, trinkets etc.

Loyalty programs are not about saving money. They are about showing appreciation for your patronage and to entice you to keep comng back to spend more money..

In order to get a free cup of coffee....you need to buy 10 cups at full price.

In order to earn frequent flier miles...you need to fly frequently.

I dont save money buying 10 cups of coffee....but the loyalty card entices me to go back to there as opposed to going to Dunkin Donuts.

I might find a better fare or schedule at another airline, but I'm loyal to the same airline because I earn the miles and might get a "free" trip somewhere. No money saving there either.

I'm pretty sure I dont know any other way to explain this, so I'm done.

I'm very happy that some people are pleased with this program and see a value. I dont.

Annual passes are not a loyalty program. They are a way to bring people back again and again so that they will buy food, soda, trinkets etc.

And do you have ANY idea how much foo costs these days?!?!?! :rotfl2:

Edited: It was much funnier before he fixed his typo...

You would be utterly amazed at the number of locals who dont go anywhere near Disney property. Disney does things to lure them to the parks.

Loyalty programs are not about saving money. They are about showing appreciation for your patronage and to entice you to keep comng back to spend more money..

I dont save money buying 10 cups of coffee....but the loyalty card entices me to go back to there as opposed to going to Dunkin Donuts.

I might find a better fare or schedule at another airline, but I'm loyal to the same airline because I earn the miles and might get a "free" trip somewhere. No money saving there either.

I'm very happy that some people are pleased with this program and see a value. I dont.

I completely understand I just want to reference my post above when I say that I am trying to defend D23 more than anything else because it is only 3 days old and really we have no idea what type of special events or other things they are planning. I can't judge something that is this new until it has time to stretch a little. I wouldn't be saying anything because I don't think you can judge good OR bad at this point, but due to the overwhelming negativity towards it, I find myself trying to defend the new program until it is able to prove itself one way or another.

How about some fudge? Anyone?

fudge-group-shot.jpg

Ha I love the offers of sweet cakes and food :-) And apparently now fudge also to top it off!

Off topic speaking of food, anyone have any special snacks that they like from the world that I should get next week (I'll be in Disney...yay!)? I've have Bawb's treat and Figaro fries and that lovely cream filled pretzel from Fantasyland....any other suggestions? :)

Wow this just keeps going and going........... how about a good stroller discussion..:laughing:

Not to belabor or argue...but I don't see a lot of difference. The problem is you are comparing completely different businesses in some examples like the airline.

But the comparison on some coffee shop free coffee after purchasing 10 vs. the seasonal annual pass - they are similar. It's whether you pay up front or over time. And it assumes you would have bought the coffee or gone to the park anyways.

In the case of the coffee, say you have to buy 10 cups of coffee, and then you get a free one. You still have to come in repeated and buy those 10 cups at normal price. You don't HAVE to buy anything else like a donut, a breakfast sandwich, or anything like that. But you do, because you are there and it is convenient. So they make money by making you come back repeatedly for the cost of a cup of coffee.

The pass situation is a little different in that you have to pay up front. You pay a larger amount, but then you get to go to the parks for free for a period of time. You still don't have to buy anything else. But you do, because you are there and it is convenient. But you get your savings by getting to come back more frequently, and Disney still makes its money.

It's basically the same as if the coffee shop said you could pay for 10 coffees up front, but you would get 11 coffees, as long as you didn't get them all at once.

Pay up front, pay over time - end result is the same. You saved money, they made money. They made slightly less.

But if the incentive causes you to go MORE than you would have - you probably wouldn't have kept stopping for coffee every day, or you wouldn't bother going to the park, THAT's when the company gets revenue - on the ancillary sales (the donut) they otherwise wouldn't have, but the consumer at perceives they got value - although they probably spent a lot more than they would have. Because the value perceived was not necessarily monetary.

I still agree that D23's cost in relation to the thusfar announced benefits isn't great, but like I said before I'm placing a bet that the benefits that they HAVEN'T announced yet (and they very specifically said they haven't announced them all yet) will help change the perceived value. How about 10% off everything! I'd at least like to see some discounts on MYW tickets...the DVC discount on the AP is nice, but it won't always make sense for us.

Certainly Disney could do more in the way of "loss leaders" to reward us for our loyalty - but from a business standpoint, they'd rather throw the loss leaders at new potential repeat customers than those who are already spending money with the company.

eh, as my dad would say... "it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it" you are not going to get me to part with the $70 to get some magazine I can read a barns an nobel...

if it is not worth it to you, don't spend the money. The quickest way to change disney policy is to not spend money on the product.

As for Kevin weighing in that this club 23 is not a bargain, lemme me the first to say... DUH. It smells like a tourist trap at the side of the highway in Georgia.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter