• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pete, Kevin, John, podcast team, RU23?

I am waiting to hear the details on the conference call this afternoon. I will weigh in after I hear the details.

4 PM EST. I am very underwhelmed by what I see on their website. They have totally missed the mark for their loyal fans!

before you read what I have to say... you must know that today I'm really grumpy... I'm really dissapointed REALLY, no real loyalty to Disney Fans, and neither to international loyal fans... I'm angry now... :rotfl:

4 PM EST. I am very underwhelmed by what I see on their website. They have totally missed the mark for their loyal fans!

I don't understand how they could go so wrong with this. They have enough of an information pool available with all the online communities not just The Dis, I just don't get it at all.

Speaker on phone is just repeating what was in the press release. Sad, sad, sad how they missed the mark on this one.

I think they need to get a Disney Fan panel together like the Mom's panel.

I can't believe that executives from Disney haven't gotten in touch with people who run boards and sites like the DIS or the other boards out there and work with them to see what their customers want. If only there was an opportunity to get them all together at the same time and invite them to a discussion panel. I think maybe the beginning of December.

Speaker on phone is just repeating what was in the press release. Sad, sad, sad how they missed the mark on this one.

I agree, definitely a missed opportunity for Disney. Although, the website for D23 looks semi-interesting and holds some potential if well done and maintained.

Why didn't they make this a fun Disney thing for fans? Why does have to come across as such a "if you've got money" kinda thing. Implying that is the only fans they really want. Putting the $850 pen right on the front page? Very close to insulting. Especially now.

J.C. Penney has been sending out magazines (catalogues) for 80 years (made up number....dont email/PM/call podcast with correct number....that's not the point and no one cares).

They also sell non-exclusive merchandise

They do this at no additional charge.

Great job Disney. We now know what you think of our intelligence level.

Disney has decided we should pay for what will essentially be an advertising ploy for the newest package/ world wide celebration being touted and the opportunity to buy embroidered merchandise letting everyone you come in contact with know that the old expression "a fool and his money are soon parted" has never been more true.

I'm more than a little turned off by the whole fiasco.

This is insulting

I would mention that the D23 site is FREE. You only pay the $75 if you want to be a "member" (you get the mag and the merch, and the special events). I completely see this as another group that gets previews of new/rehabbed rides, etc. along with the AP/DVC people.

I haven't seen the magazine yet, but $16 is really out there. Sounds like what Disney Insider should have been.

I don't know yet. It's better than the rumored $100. And you can get discount codes (I am "AP/DVC people"...but I know the codes are in the wild anyways)

Edit: It appears that they have updated the system - the known discount codes WILL NOT APPLY towards D23 membership or merchandise.

I can't believe that all this hype and it's just a glorified magazine subscription! Disney.... This is very disapponting!

Sure I complain sometimes when I see something expensive at a store...especially if it is something I want and I see it's overpriced. And the stores I go to don't send out teasers about a great new line of stuff they are going to carry especially for their loyal customers and then tell me I will need to pay an extra fee to buy the great new line of stuff that it turns out I can't afford. :rolleyes:

Well maybe it needs said...

If you don't like it, don't join, its simple really. The way I felt about it was, after adding up 4 issues of the magazine it almost covers the total price anyway, so I'll try it a year and see what happens.

Everyone keeps yapping about an expensive pen or this or that...do these people walk through a mall and complain everytime they see something expensive?

That said, I don't think we've seen all of this yet. I think it will be adjusted over time, benefits will emerge to try to get more membership. If that doesn't happen and few join and fewer renew, its obvious what will happen.

But stop complaining...

I dont see it as complaining. I see it as having an opinion that's different from yours.

I've never joined anything in the hopes it will someday be "better". I'll wait till it's better.

As for the pen......c'mon....you have to admit that offering an $850 dollar pen at a time when the parks, resorts, restaurants, merchandise locations and online retail establishments are REALLY suffering is pretty funny. And the fact that it includes instructions is even funnier

I think my biggest gripe is the hype about this being about the hardcore fams.
If Disney is concerned about the loyal, hardcore fans...who they KNOW spend oodles of money anyway....make the magazine content free on line and at a cost if you want a print copy. I can even see making people register for the site.

Marty Sklar and Dave Smith are going to write about the history of Disney. They should....hardcore fands will love that information but they shouldnt have to be overcharged for it.

As for the exclusivity aspect....if they are selling this in Disney World, Disneyland and Barnes and Noble....you can read the magize for free. At least the B&N near me encourages you to sit and look at the magazines. They have chairs and sofas for goodness sake.

Nothing about this speaks to the hardcore Disney fan in me. As a matter of fact....it turns the fan in me off...alot. This is not about satisfying a need or even a want. It;s about satisfying a bottom line.

There are a lot of things they could do to THANK the hardcore fan base. This is not even close.

My apologies if you see this as complaining. As I said at the beginning.....I see it as my opinion and I'll stand behind it.

J.C. Penney has been sending out magazines (catalogues) for 80 years (made up number....dont email/PM/call podcast with correct number....that's not the point and no one cares).

They also sell non-exclusive merchandise

They do this at no additional charge.

Great job Disney. We now know what you think of our intelligence level.

Disney has decided we should pay for what will essentially be an advertising ploy for the newest package/ world wide celebration being touted and the opportunity to buy embroidered merchandise letting everyone you come in contact with know that the old expression "a fool and his money are soon parted" has never been more true.

I'm more than a little turned off by the whole fiasco.

This is insulting

well said kevin, I mean they treated the "Are you 23?" as something really big and at the end it really wasn't... I was expecting also something reachable for everyone not only US citizens...

well said kevin, I mean they treated the "Are you 23?" as something really big and at the end it really wasn't....

One could argue that WE (as fans) treated it as something really big. Disney posted a web page. Some other groups at Disney mentioned it (like the Mickey Monitor for AP holders). The viral marketing was genius.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter