Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

DD's starts at 8-something...I drop her off before 8 and they go to the commons till first bell. I know they get out at 3:07. They also have blocks and some have lunch in the middle of a class. There is 5 minutes between classes and the majority of them are on the opposite end of the building from her locker, so she is carrying a backpack. The next three years her locker will be in among the main classrooms, so maybe she can stop more often after this year.

She wants to move to England after graduation and attend Oxford. The thought of her being an ocean away slays me, but at the same time I marvel at her ambition. I'm so excited for her future, but at the same time I want to slam the brakes and steal her away to that place where her dad and I were her whole world.

Here's to a breathtaking high school experience for all our kiddos!

So does my son! They could be at Oxford together in 2017. :)

DD's school does not issue lockers, the kids can request one but no one does (school even said no one does) they just backpack from class to class.

So does my son! They could be at Oxford together in 2017. :)
What's up with this? :laughing: My DD also wants to go to college in England!

Do y'all know if they have to attend an IB program in order to attend an English Univ? Just curious, DD mentioned it but I didn't take it any further

Anyone here from Texas that can explain to me the "Mum" thing??? :confused3

Do y'all know if they have to attend an IB program in order to attend an English Univ? Just curious, DD mentioned it but I didn't take it any further

That's a good question about the IB program. I don't know the answer. DS goes to a private school so no IB, but STEM courses and plenty of pre-ap/ap. DS has 4 pre-ap classes. He's also doing STEM engineering as a freshman and pre-ap Algebra 2. I hope he makes it through his freshman year in one piece!

So the mum thing... I've been googling this myself. Looks like bigger the better is what goes these days. We had mums when I was in hs, but nothing super extravagant. These days, it's also not unheard of for girls to have one from their date and one from parents. The wear them both to school only, not the dance. So the boys (their parents really!) have to shell out for the mum, a corsage and dance admission.

There are also rules about bringing someone from another school or attending their. Forms to fill out on both ends.

My kids' school is 7:17 am to 2:05 pm...we live about 17 minute drive from the school and the bus comes at 6:37...yikes. AND we don't have a local HS of our own and our middle school is divided between 2 HS that are both about 17 minutes away. It is stinky for our kids as many of their friends go to the other HS. Talk about a dumb county!!!
1- NEST is stupid (stands for Nutrition, Extracurricular activities, Socialization, Tutoring)....dumb dumb dumb, socialization...really!!!
2- the 7:17 to 2:05 school day (not only is it early but it's irregular times)
3- no HS in our town and dividing the kids and cramming them into overcrowded schools
OH, and my kids have A-day/B-day...4 different classes each day. Positives and negatives to that.

That's a good question about the IB program. I don't know the answer. DS goes to a private school so no IB, but STEM courses and plenty of pre-ap/ap. DS has 4 pre-ap classes. He's also doing STEM engineering as a freshman and pre-ap Algebra 2. I hope he makes it through his freshman year in one piece!

So the mum thing... I've been googling this myself. Looks like bigger the better is what goes these days. We had mums when I was in hs, but nothing super extravagant. These days, it's also not unheard of for girls to have one from their date and one from parents. The wear them both to school only, not the dance. So the boys (their parents really!) have to shell out for the mum, a corsage and dance admission.

There are also rules about bringing someone from another school or attending their. Forms to fill out on both ends.
Yikes, that is a hefty schedule, I wish him well! DD took Alg 2 in 8th grade and then took the exam for high school credit. When we moved here from NV she had been in a math/science charter and was way ahead when it came to math but she was way behind in US History. Her school was opposite of TX so while TX was learning about the Civil War, DD's school was learning NV history and when she got to TX they were learning TX history and had already covered the Civil War. She won't get that subject again till she is a Jr. I contacted the school I was a bit concerned. This year she is taking Geometry. She is on the pre-IB track and also took Human Geography which is an AP class. DD is our "nerd" ;) she is not into athletics at all, has no rhythm and absolutely hates to sweat. She hated the idea of marching band (likes concert band but will not march) and she likes academics so she kind of buried herself in that. Her saxophone is sitting on a shelf getting dusty. Makes me a little sad but I understand her not wanting to be part of a marching band. Really wish the TX schools had strings and/or orchestra as options instead of just marching band (I know a few do, but they are few and far between and not at DD's high school)

DD has no desire to attend a Homecoming Dance but she has expressed a wish for a Mum. I have connected with a lady here in Austin who makes them, hold onto your wallets, dang things are stupid expensive. The "base" models without a single item of personalization start at about $50! The lady told me it is not unusual for the parents of Freshman/Sophomores (pre boyfriend years) to purchase the Mums for their daughters.
Dang things IMO are hideous, I soooooo do not understand the idea, the concept or who thought these were somehow attractive! :lmao:

Yikes, that is a hefty schedule, I wish him well! DD took Alg 2 in 8th grade and then took the exam for high school credit. When we moved here from NV she had been in a math/science charter and was way ahead when it came to math but she was way behind in US History. Her school was opposite of TX so while TX was learning about the Civil War, DD's school was learning NV history and when she got to TX they were learning TX history and had already covered the Civil War. She won't get that subject again till she is a Jr. I contacted the school I was a bit concerned. This year she is taking Geometry. She is on the pre-IB track and also took Human Geography which is an AP class. DD is our "nerd" ;) she is not into athletics at all, has no rhythm and absolutely hates to sweat. She hated the idea of marching band (likes concert band but will not march) and she likes academics so she kind of buried herself in that. Her saxophone is sitting on a shelf getting dusty. Makes me a little sad but I understand her not wanting to be part of a marching band. Really wish the TX schools had strings and/or orchestra as options instead of just marching band (I know a few do, but they are few and far between and not at DD's high school)

DD has no desire to attend a Homecoming Dance but she has expressed a wish for a Mum. I have connected with a lady here in Austin who makes them, hold onto your wallets, dang things are stupid expensive. The "base" models without a single item of personalization start at about $50! The lady told me it is not unusual for the parents of Freshman/Sophomores (pre boyfriend years) to purchase the Mums for their daughters.
Dang things IMO are hideous, I soooooo do not understand the idea, the concept or who thought these were somehow attractive! :lmao:

Good thing you have a connection for the mum. I'm clueless. Back in my day they were real flowers and ordered from a florist. You put them in the fridge at night and wore them to school all week.

Do people still order them from florists? Because if DS decides to go, there is no way I'm taking mum-making class at Michaels to make one of those hideous things!! I've seen some with led lights and stuffed animals attached. WHAT??

Good thing you have a connection for the mum. I'm clueless. Back in my day they were real flowers and ordered from a florist. You put them in the fridge at night and wore them to school all week.

Do people still order them from florists? Because if DS decides to go, there is no way I'm taking mum-making class at Michael's to make one of those hideous things!! I've seen some with led lights and stuffed animals attached. WHAT??
I don't know about a florist, I found a lady online who covers our school district and makes them for the district, has all the colors, mascots etc. DD and I were at Michaels a few weeks ago, the Mum aisle was mind boggling! :lmao: When DD first mentioned it, I thought, "oh a corsage, okay, no problem". Then I Googled.........This is a corsage gone bad (and fake) no flowers in the thing at all, just miles and miles of ribbons, ribbon braids and stuffed animals in place of what was probably originally the actual flower. This reminds me of a parent competition to outdo one another other gone bad, really bad:rotfl2:

My kids' school is 7:17 am to 2:05 pm...we live about 17 minute drive from the school and the bus comes at 6:37...yikes. AND we don't have a local HS of our own and our middle school is divided between 2 HS that are both about 17 minutes away. It is stinky for our kids as many of their friends go to the other HS. Talk about a dumb county!!!
1- NEST is stupid (stands for Nutrition, Extracurricular activities, Socialization, Tutoring)....dumb dumb dumb, socialization...really!!!
2- the 7:17 to 2:05 school day (not only is it early but it's irregular times)
3- no HS in our town and dividing the kids and cramming them into overcrowded schools
OH, and my kids have A-day/B-day...4 different classes each day. Positives and negatives to that.

Hmmm...you must live in Crofton. :rotfl:

The first day of school was pretty uneventful here. The biggest stress for DS (well, really his parents :lmao:) has been football tryouts! They started workouts as soon as school ended in June, then "official" tryouts in August and didn't make final cuts until last Friday. Fortunately, DS made the team!!!! They cut 25ish kids. I would have been furious if DS wasted his summer only to get cut. After all that, the first day of school was a breeze. DS has a few friends in each class.

Maybe this one wasn't hard for me because he is my middle child. Today was the first day of Kindergarten for my youngest, and that one was tough.

I just this thread.

My youngest (DD14) started HS on 8/14. Some highs and some lows so far.

#1 High is she already was named "Titan of the Week" which is similar to student of the week. She did a good deed to help an unknown adult and was rewarded. :thumbsup2 We are quite proud of that, since she never got Student of the Week in MS.

She is doing well in 4 academic classes, health and band, but struggling in Honors History. This class is extremely accelerated with a ton of reading, and reading is not her strong suit. Needless to say I am learning a lot about world history, which is good because I never learned it in my days at HS :rotfl:.

First football game is this Friday, and while the band isn't playing becuase it is an away game, she would like to go, but there aren't enough seats in her friend's car and she bowed out to leave room for someone else who can be a bit of a drama queen. I think I'll make sure she gets there just because we are so proud of her attitude recently.

She has become a real joy to be around this summer, and I almost hated to see school start. Add onto that she started her first official job last weekend, and is having to learn a lot of time management skills!

Oldest is a Sophomore at college, and I think we were all ready to see him head back ::yes::

My daughter wants to do a semester in England!
I never heard of the Mum thing until someone on here posted about it one year- I googled it and was appalled LOL- they are hideous and I can't believe people actually would wear those things, in public no less!!!

You got it...LOL! Are you in AAC (and have NEST...if so, what do you think of it?).

We don't call it NEST, so I'm assuming my kids go to the other one. ;) But yes, DD is a Junior, so we've been through 2 years of this schedule and she LOVES it. It's helped a lot when she's needed to make up work or re-do something. She doesn't always have classes with her friends, but at least knows they can all have lunch together. She doesn't always eat either, and usually eats lunch when she gets home at 2:30. DS has been taking a lunch this week because he has football practice.

For the first two weeks at my kids' school, the first half hour is Freshman only, so they can get acclimated to the whole thing.

The MUM thing...I have never heard or seen of this. Is it a TEXAS thing? I googled and this is the first thing that came up...$350+ for these things?!?! Wowza!

http://www.melzmumz.com/Melz-Mumz-MEGA-Quad-Homecoming-Mums.php

DD starts at 7:45 a.m. (I drop her off at 7:20 on my way to work), and the afternoon bell is at 2:30 p.m.

I think I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with a child that's ready to move an ocean away! Ugh. DH keeps floating the idea of a summer or year abroad, but she won't hear of it.

DD is in pre-AP Biology, Geometry, and English. She took the Algebra EOI last year, so she's got that one behind her. The workload is already getting crazy, and we're only on day 9.

Another England-bound child? A part of me hopes that if I ignore the notion, she will tire of it and move on. She's simply convinced that life is so much better on the other side of the pond.

DD tried softball and volleyball in middle school after playing all through grade school, but she didn't enjoy it. She is in her 11th year of dance and does show choir, so that keeps us hopping like crazy. I'm still sad that she's no longer playing the piano, though.

We don't call it NEST, so I'm assuming my kids go to the other one. ;) But yes, DD is a Junior, so we've been through 2 years of this schedule and she LOVES it. It's helped a lot when she's needed to make up work or re-do something. She doesn't always have classes with her friends, but at least knows they can all have lunch together. She doesn't always eat either, and usually eats lunch when she gets home at 2:30. DS has been taking a lunch this week because he has football practice.

For the first two weeks at my kids' school, the first half hour is Freshman only, so they can get acclimated to the whole thing.

The MUM thing...I have never heard or seen of this. Is it a TEXAS thing? I googled and this is the first thing that came up...$350+ for these things?!?! Wowza!

http://www.melzmumz.com/Melz-Mumz-MEGA-Quad-Homecoming-Mums.php

Our kids probably know each other if they all went to CMS together. My DS is a junior. Small world. Our HS didn't do the 1st 30 minutes for freshman only this week...strange as I figured all the AAC high schools would be the same. Do they bus twice in the morning?

They get their instructional permits starting at age 14. To get a school permit, they have to have had their instructional permit for at least 6 months and have passed drivers ed. She got her permit last October and took dr ed this summer.

Wow that is so early. I cannot even imagine my dd behind the wheel :scared:
However, my friend just moved to Texas and her dd14 cannot wait to get her permit.

Just curious, how long are your school days? DD starts at 8:35 and goes to 3:45 - Four 90 minute classes per day plus 37 minute lunch and 6 minute passing periods

DD has to be in her homeroom by 8:35am and classes end at 2:23pm
They have a rotating schedule. 7 class periods but only 6 per day. I'm not sure yet how long is each class and how long is lunch. I'll find out next week when she has orientation.

Oh and they get 5min between classes.

Just curious, how long are your school days? DD starts at 8:35 and goes to 3:45 - Four 90 minute classes per day plus 37 minute lunch and 6 minute passing periods

We are almost the exact same schedule - 8:40-3:40 with four 90 minute classes a day. They only have 30 minutes for lunch and 7 minute passing periods. I love the later schedule for the older kids! My elementary kids are 7:35-2:35.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter