Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

My DD is a freshman. She's my youngest so I've done this before. The oldest is a junior. DD plays volleyball. The freshmen will all be getting iPads this year. So far, she is enjoying high school.

The troop I was in as a child didn't survive the transition to middle school, so I'm very excited that my DD has found one that is planning on staying together for the long haul. They're 7th grade now with 9 girls and my DD is the "new girl" - she joined in 3rd grade when we moved here, the rest of the troop has been together since 1st.
Those kind of relationships can last into adulthood. My friend is in her mid-50's and she just went to an annual reunion of friends that she made in Girl Scout camp. They laughed and sang GS songs and made s'mores ... 35-40 years after meeting each other :goodvibes.

I must be in complete denial because I haven't even noticed this thread until today!

My oldest is a freshman. So far, he loves it. He joined marching band (saxophone) so he was at the school a lot over the summer. He's a very shy kid so I am so glad he has found a niche. We are at a large school. He is loving the block scheduling! Thursday is Back to School night for the parents. I'm excited to follow his schedule!

Any other parents of new high school freshmen here? I'm finding it very hard to believe that my little boy is headed to hign school. He suddenly seems so grown up. Hoping for a great year!

Me, me, my DS14. And I am already having a case of the empty nest syndrome sadness [that was a mouthful]. While I do have two older stepsons [25 and 31] that I love and have gone through this with, being my one and only biological child is making it harder. :guilty: And I never want to be one of those needy mothers who can't let go. :sad: We will all commiserate and comfort each other for the next 4 years. :flower3:

Me, me, my DS14. And I am already having a case of the empty nest syndrome sadness [that was a mouthful].
I'm glad I'm not the only one :blush:. That stoopid Cup Song makes me wince every time I hear it:

When I'm gone
When I'm gone
You're gonna miss me when I'm gone
You're gonna miss me by my hair
You're gonna miss me everywhere, oh
You're gonna miss me when I'm gone

I know it's silly but I feel like my baby is gone and now comes the hard last part of raising an adult.

The first week of school did not go exactly as planned. DS was out 2 days with strep throat.... Already playing catch up and the year just started.. Oh well

Swim is nice in that aspect, because being on a weaker team doesn't hold a talented swimmer back. She can qualify for district and state level meets on her individual times, and as you said she'll have an opportunity to lead as part of a smaller program.

The troop I was in as a child didn't survive the transition to middle school, so I'm very excited that my DD has found one that is planning on staying together for the long haul. They're 7th grade now with 9 girls and my DD is the "new girl" - she joined in 3rd grade when we moved here, the rest of the troop has been together since 1st.

I may end up picking your brains. As of this moment, there's no one stepping up to get a Daisy troop started for the coming year so if I can find another interested mom I may end up doing it. :eek: Younger DD is in kindergarten (and somehow that makes me feel older than oldest starting high school! :confused3) this year and wants to be a GS just like her big sister.

That's great! I think band and football have really helped DS with the transition. His first day is still 2 weeks off, but he already has plans to walk to school with a sophomore from his football team who lives on the next street over, and the percussion section is planning on meeting for breakfast that first morning.

Just reread the thread again. PM me if you need advice. Daisies are fun and you have older girls that can help. It is great for community service hours! And the little girls love the older ones.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Those kind of relationships can last into adulthood. My friend is in her mid-50's and she just went to an annual reunion of friends that she made in Girl Scout camp. They laughed and sang GS songs and made s'mores ... 35-40 years after meeting each other :goodvibes.

I went to the centennial camporee in savannah last year, and the large majority of volunteers were older women who had retired and were still running troops and involved even after their own children were grown. They knew some great songs!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Glad everyone's having a smooth transition and good start ! Sorry , wannabee , about the strep! That's a bummer - but better now then during finals! We are now 5 days down and the nervousness has subsided for both mom and son! Lol Just so hard to believe he's this old. Just filled out all student council forms so he can run for vice - president of freshman class . Wish us luck!! He served as treasurer and Vice President over past 2 years in junior high - so he has high hopes . Hopes it works in his favor....

Well DD had a schedule change to deal with yesterday- they put her in a math slot that doesn't exist or something. And changed her art class. It's block schedule so today's classes will be all new too, then she will know what she is doing after today! She is going to carry her backpack all day since her locker is far from most classes- and she broke a buckle on hers this morning. We just tied a knot in the strap...

She sat with a good group at lunch which makes me very happy- last year's lunch group was a bit of a disaster. She's wanting to sign up for the fall play, so we'll see. I would love for her to be involved, but we live 11 miles from school and who knows when practices will be.

I'm a little late, but I'd like to join this thread. My one and only child, DS14, started high school last week. I drove away slowly from the school and shed a few tears. In four years, he plans to move to California for college. I'm making sure to cherish these moments before he is gone. :(

We had orientation yesterday, and I think DS is almost looking forward to the start of school. The first day isn't until Sept 3, but his first football game is this coming Wednesday and his first marching band performance is Thursday so the week is going to fly by.

This weekend has been funny - freshman orientation yesterday, kindergarten welcome tomorrow. :rotfl: This year, I have one in elem, one in middle, and one in high school. I'm not sure whether to feel old or just plain crazy! :scratchin

The first week of school did not go exactly as planned. DS was out 2 days with strep throat.... Already playing catch up and the year just started.. Oh well

Sorry to hear it. Hopefully he's feeling better already!

Just reread the thread again. PM me if you need advice. Daisies are fun and you have older girls that can help. It is great for community service hours! And the little girls love the older ones.

I'm sure I'll take you up on that if I end up volunteering.

I thought of this thread when I saw this. My DS just started his freshman year a week ago :sad1:

32 Extremely Upsetting Facts About The Class Of 2017:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/32-extremely-upsetting-facts-about-the-class-of-2017?bffb

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

This weekend has been funny - freshman orientation yesterday, kindergarten welcome tomorrow. :rotfl: This year, I have one in elem, one in middle, and one in high school. I'm not sure whether to feel old or just plain crazy! :scratchin

My mom had one in elem, jr. high, high school, and college my kindergarten year.

SO, my DD has a "date" for homecoming. They are just going to meet at the dance, probably dance awkwardly a couple of times, and mostly not speak to each other :lmao: It's the boy who has liked her since 6th grade but won't speak to her in person. Think Raj on Big Bang type. But it makes her feel good that somebody asked her. Probably asked her over text.

My babies, twin DDs, had their 1st day of HS today. My DS will have his 1st day of junior year tomorrow. Where does the time go?

I was scrolling through the Community Board when this thread caught my eye. I've seen similar threads over the years and always thought to myself, "I'm not looking forward to those days. So thankful mine are still young." For whatever reason I had DD14's voice running through my head when I realized "Holy crap! That's DD's year." Sigh.

My sweet girl is actually a young lady who already stands a good inch taller than her mom. She started her freshman year of high school on the 16th. I dropped her off (I'm sure she's counting the days until THAT no longer happens) and drove to my job with a pit in my stomach. Thank goodness I had classes to teach!

She wants to move to England after graduation and attend Oxford. The thought of her being an ocean away slays me, but at the same time I marvel at her ambition. I'm so excited for her future, but at the same time I want to slam the brakes and steal her away to that place where her dad and I were her whole world.

Here's to a breathtaking high school experience for all our kiddos!

If our kids are freshman this year, wouldn't they be in the class of 2018, not 2017? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter