Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

The MUM thing...I have never heard or seen of this. Is it a TEXAS thing? I googled and this is the first thing that came up...$350+ for these things?!?! Wowza!

http://www.melzmumz.com/Melz-Mumz-MEGA-Quad-Homecoming-Mums.php
The most amazing part, they WEAR these things. They pin them to the front of their dresses, secure to the bra straps and wear them. It is the most ridiculous "tradition" I believe I have ever seen. The boys wear mums too, they are arm garters. I cannot imagine spending over $300 that is just crazy. I'm at about $75 for DD's

We are almost the exact same schedule - 8:40-3:40 with four 90 minute classes a day. They only have 30 minutes for lunch and 7 minute passing periods. I love the later schedule for the older kids! My elementary kids are 7:35-2:35.
I agree, those early morning hours are tough on high schoolers with jobs, athletics and just homework. The schools here use the same buses, the elem, then the high school then the middle school - not sure why the middle schools are in the middle start times wise but it all works. When we first moved here, we lived rural and DD was on the bus at 6:15 am with a 90 minute ride each way. We moved to civilization and she now gets on the bus at 8, off at 4 - her ride is about 10 minutes, we live 1.2 miles from the high school.

mamacatnv said:
The most amazing part, they WEAR these things. They pin them to the front of their dresses, secure to the bra straps and wear them. It is the most ridiculous "tradition" I believe I have ever seen. The boys wear mums too, they are arm garters. I cannot imagine spending over $300 that is just crazy. I'm at about $75 for DD's

I agree, those early morning hours are tough on high schoolers with jobs, athletics and just homework. The schools here use the same buses, the elem, then the high school then the middle school - not sure why the middle schools are in the middle start times wise but it all works. When we first moved here, we lived rural and DD was on the bus at 6:15 am with a 90 minute ride each way. We moved to civilization and she now gets on the bus at 8, off at 4 - her ride is about 10 minutes, we live 1.2 miles from the high school.

And what the heck are cowbells put on those things for?

Ours are opposite-grade school doesn't start until 920, jr high at 740 and high school is 7:05. High school gets out earliest so the kids can go to jobs! Jr high gets out before grade school because many of those kids need to be home to get their grade school siblings off the bus.

And what the heck are cowbells put on those things for?

Ours are opposite-grade school doesn't start until 920, jr high at 740 and high school is 7:05. High school gets out earliest so the kids can go to jobs! Jr high gets out before grade school because many of those kids need to be home to get their grade school siblings off the bus.
I have been told that cowbells are a Texas high school tradition - we are going to our first Varsity game this Friday night, I guess we will find out.

My DS went to a high school where they started the earliest of the schools, DD now starts later. I think they both have advantages/disadvantages but since DD is NOT a morning person:rolleyes1, I am thankful she has a later schedule that DS did

I have been told that cowbells are a Texas high school tradition - we are going to our first Varsity game this Friday night, I guess we will find out.

My DS went to a high school where they started the earliest of the schools, DD now starts later. I think they both have advantages/disadvantages but since DD is NOT a morning person:rolleyes1, I am thankful she has a later schedule that DS did

Cowbells are a high school football thing, not just in Texas. Even at our freshman games some fans/parents have them, and on Friday nights when varsity plays there are hundreds of people ringing the blasted things.

I wish we had a later start for the high school. Every study I've ever seen on start times supports having the elems start earlier and the high schools later, but every time our school board has discussed it parents come out in droves against any changes. My son will have to be to school by 7am, because he likes to eat breakfast there with his friends. Classes start at 7:20.

Fortunately we're within walking distance - some of his friends who ride the bus from the rural parts of our district have to be out at the stop as early as 6. :eek:

Cowbells are a high school football thing, not just in Texas. Even at our freshman games some fans/parents have them, and on Friday nights when varsity plays there are hundreds of people ringing the blasted things.

I wish we had a later start for the high school. Every study I've ever seen on start times supports having the elems start earlier and the high schools later, but every time our school board has discussed it parents come out in droves against any changes. My son will have to be to school by 7am, because he likes to eat breakfast there with his friends. Classes start at 7:20.

Fortunately we're within walking distance - some of his friends who ride the bus from the rural parts of our district have to be out at the stop as early as 6. :eek:
Oh dear! I'm from the West Coast, cowbells were used for Skiing events but I don't recall them ever being at football or any other kid sport for that matter. Its fun living in a whole nother part of the country and finding traditions etc. that we were completely clueless about.

The rural kids really suffer with those early bus schedules. DD used to sleep all the way to school every morning

Our kids probably know each other if they all went to CMS together. My DS is a junior. Small world. Our HS didn't do the 1st 30 minutes for freshman only this week...strange as I figured all the AAC high schools would be the same. Do they bus twice in the morning?

My kids go to AMS/AHS. They went to the elementary school that was affected when the whole redistricting mess happened. DS was reunited with friends this week that he hadn't gone to school with since 3rd grade.

Sorry, bad paragraph spacing on the other issue! Freshman go to school at the same time as everyone else, but for the first two weeks they are in "Freshman Academy" and the first half of lunch in the cafeteria is for Freshman only- the rest of the kids have to go somewhere else, and can only get in the cafeteria for the 2nd half.

K and K's Mommy said:
We are almost the exact same schedule - 8:40-3:40 with four 90 minute classes a day. They only have 30 minutes for lunch and 7 minute passing periods. I love the later schedule for the older kids! My elementary kids are 7:35-2:35.

So you're high school kids only have 4 classes a day?

English, math, science , social studies?

What about electives, computer classes, PE, foreign languages, band?

Our kids have 9 periods::: 41 minutes a piece, 5 minutes to change classes and 30 minutes for lunch.

Wow that is so early. I cannot even imagine my dd behind the wheel :scared:
However, my friend just moved to Texas and her dd14 cannot wait to get her permit.

I'm already having a hard enough time being a passenger in my own car with DD16 driving! She has her learner's permit (which here means no driving without a licensed driver over 21.) You have to have that for 9 months in MD so we are looking at her driving by December at the earliest but her school doesn't have enough parking, so generally only Seniors can get the parking permits, with few exceptions.

Our kids have 9 periods::: 41 minutes a piece, 5 minutes to change classes and 30 minutes for lunch.

With having 4 classes a day, plus an hour for lunch, my kids have 8 classes total. They only have each class every other day, which they like when it comes to homework.

We have 4 classes a day but we have A days and B days. A day the schedule is Jr. ROTC, English I, Algebra I, Computer Literacy. B day is Study Skills, Physical Science, World Geography and elective.

My DD has what they call blocked scheduling. She has 8 classes total but they split them up into 4 classes a day. They have A and B days so that over the course of two days they get the equivalent of 2 days of class instruction in all 8 classes.

Its good for homework and bad when they miss a day since one days absence is actually counted as two missed class days.

I'm not sure what the theory behind it is but my son had the same type of schedule in middle and high school when we lived in NV.

I did not do a very good job of explaining myself! He has four classes a day, but there are 8 total. They go to each class every other day. So, today he had Algebra II, jazz band, Language Arts, and Spanish. Tomorrow he has regular band, study hall, World History, and Biology. Freshman are required to take a study hall. I THINK you can take 8 classes after your freshman year, but I will definitely want him to take a study hall during marching band season. He took P.E. over the summer, and next year I will probably have him take health over the summer so he still has room for study hall.

I know a few high school teachers, and they seem to be split over block scheduling. My Spanish teacher friend does not like it because she thinks kids need to be practicing the language every day. I've heard math teachers think along the same lines. I have a language arts teacher friend who likes it because of more time to continue conversations and time to work on projects.

Anyone has kids starting HS this week? Mine starts tomorrow :)

Mine started today! Hoping it went well. She has a lot of courses this year and while she is intelligent sometimes I worry about the organizational skills! We worked on it this summer with a SUCCESS CD I bought that outlined how to study like a college student, she could relate to many things eventhough a highschooler. Here is to hoping!!!

Mine starts tomorrow. Only Freshman have to go tomorrow, then the rest of the school starts on Thursday. This will be the first year she doesn't have to ride the bus or wear a uniform! She's VERY excited about that! :cool1:

My kids go to AMS/AHS. They went to the elementary school that was affected when the whole redistricting mess happened. DS was reunited with friends this week that he hadn't gone to school with since 3rd grade.

Sorry, bad paragraph spacing on the other issue! Freshman go to school at the same time as everyone else, but for the first two weeks they are in "Freshman Academy" and the first half of lunch in the cafeteria is for Freshman only- the rest of the kids have to go somewhere else, and can only get in the cafeteria for the 2nd half.

My kids went to CMS and go to the other HS, but some of their closest friends go to AHS. My girls play club softball and some of their softball friends go to AHS (and my DH's best friend is a pitching coach there...we really wanted our kids to go there but it's not our district).

Mine started today! Hoping it went well. She has a lot of courses this year and while she is intelligent sometimes I worry about the organizational skills! We worked on it this summer with a SUCCESS CD I bought that outlined how to study like a college student, she could relate to many things eventhough a highschooler. Here is to hoping!!!
My DD comes home and moans daily over the mandatory class that all Freshman are required to take that is all about getting them organized :lmao: she whines, moans, complains etc. at having to give up an elective space for the "stupid" class. I usually make some smart-aleck remark about the state of her room or her lack of time management when it comes to her very short chore list or I point to the dog's empty water bowl. She usually stops moaning and wanders off until the next time the concept of becoming organized annoys her.

I sent my DD off to her first day of High School today! It's just freshmen day (about 250 kids) and the rest of the grades start tomorrow. She was dressed down because she had swim team practice at 6:30 this morning :thumbsup2. My iPhone really took a crappy picture but here it is:

CeliaFirstDay9th.JPG

Mine started this morning, and despite all his 'no big deal' attitude I don't think he slept well last night. It was a "Monday" sort of day, even though the calendar says Tuesday - he managed to lose one contact (no biggie, he wears disposables) and the mismatched vision gave him enough of a headache that he missed football practice for the first time since he started playing school ball last season. But other than that it was a good day - very little homework, one teacher he already feels like he's going to really enjoy, and no problems getting around his new school.

Mine doesn't start until Monday the 9th. They usually start the Wed after labor day but this year that would have meant opening Wed and then closing for the holidays on Thurs and Fri so they just figured it was better to stay closed until next week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter