Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

Hi all :) I'm jumping in here too. My oldest has survived 7 days of high school (assuming she makes it home today). So far the worst part has been the 6:05am bus pick up. At least I get to go back to sleep.... not sure how she's doing it!

Yep my oldest starts high school this year. Though she started Marching Band last July so hopefully it will make knowing a few kids easier.

Denise in MI

Yes, my daughter is a Freshman this year. She is starting to have a hard time already. Need to get those tutors going.

count me in. My only child starts school next week as a freshman. I am not looking forward to it. I don't know why, just not...Wish it were just beginning the summer again...

We have one more week to go before the start of school. I'm glad to hear that most of the kids are adjusting well so far.

Completed the supply list last night, going into day 3, all is well, DD so far has been positive and chatty about her new school:thumbsup2

Today is also day 3 for my ladies. We get supplies tonight...somehow...between softball practice and homework. My kids' HS has a weird thing they started last year called 'NEST'. They don't have several lunches each day and instead now have one hour where the entire school can get lunch, go to teachers for help or make up missed work and/or just hang out anywhere in and right outside the building. Each teacher has an open nest about twice per week, so not every teacher is available on a given day. It's from 10:30-11:30. My girls are having a hard time A- eating LUNCH at 10:30 (they want dinner at 3:00 :eek:) and B- trying to buy lunch with the entire school (2400 kids :eek:) and C- finding a place to meet up and sit with their friends. I think it's the dumbest idea ever.

Today is also day 3 for my ladies. We get supplies tonight...somehow...between softball practice and homework. My kids' HS has a weird thing they started last year called 'NEST'. They don't have several lunches each day and instead now have one hour where the entire school can get lunch, go to teachers for help or make up missed work and/or just hang out anywhere in and right outside the building. Each teacher has an open nest about twice per week, so not every teacher is available on a given day. It's from 10:30-11:30. My girls are having a hard time A- eating LUNCH at 10:30 (they want dinner at 3:00 :eek:) and B- trying to buy lunch with the entire school (2400 kids :eek:) and C- finding a place to meet up and sit with their friends. I think it's the dumbest idea ever.

Ugh! Well, my DD would gladly have food at 10:30, she has a hard time making it to 12:30, but yeah, she would want two suppers then! And that is a lot of kids loose at once. Our school (about 200 kids total!) has 3 lunch periods. Everyone goes to the lunchroom, then get in line by grade (it rotates). When freshmen are last, sometimes she only has 10 minutes or less to eat. But generally, it works.

We have Flex Time, which is a time when every teacher is available, and I do think that's great. I know in middle school DD had issues with finding a time to go to teachers for make up work or questions.

DD was warned by a boy at church about upperclassmen picking on freshman, but so far the only thing she has noticed was a boy behind her saying "Oh ****, I'm behind a bunch of freshman." I asked if she started walking slower then ;).

And good news, she has made friends with a new girl who seems really great. 8th grade was a crappy year friend-wise, so a new good friend makes me happy.

Today we are going to get her school permit! I'm not sure how often she will drive herself, but it will be a possibility if needed. I'm sure she would like to drive home later this week, as they are getting out 2 hours early every day for heat and that means spending 3 hours at grandma's house until I get off work. I know that gets boring. Times like this it would be nice if they could ride a bus home but they are open-enrolled.

^^^^ At what age are they allowed to get permits where you live?

They get their instructional permits starting at age 14. To get a school permit, they have to have had their instructional permit for at least 6 months and have passed drivers ed. She got her permit last October and took dr ed this summer.

My DD starts high school next week (my oldest child). I am a bit emotional about it....my DS starts middle school. No more little, elementary school kids :-(

And I don't even want to THINK about her driving....:sad2:

Here in TX 15 - I just mailed off the request for the packet to purchase the Parent Training package yesterday. Getting a permit here seems complicated, we came from NV where the kids go to the DMV, present their documents and get a permit, then they have to log X number of hours with a licensed driver in attendance.

Here in TX, we have to get the packet to get the training program, complete the "classroom" portion, then take all the doc's to DMV to obtain the permit, then there are more hours/logs and several months (6 I believe) before they can get a license at 16.

That Nest thing seems like utter chaos! DD's school is on block scheduling, 4 classes a day. There are 3 different lunch periods, DD's lunch is actually in the middle of a class. They go to the first half of the class, then to lunch and back to the same class.

Just curious, how long are your school days? DD starts at 8:35 and goes to 3:45 - Four 90 minute classes per day plus 37 minute lunch and 6 minute passing periods

mamacatnv said:
Here in TX 15 - I just mailed off the request for the packet to purchase the Parent Training package yesterday. Getting a permit here seems complicated, we came from NV where the kids go to the DMV, present their documents and get a permit, then they have to log X number of hours with a licensed driver in attendance.

Here in TX, we have to get the packet to get the training program, complete the "classroom" portion, then take all the doc's to DMV to obtain the permit, then there are more hours/logs and several months (6 I believe) before they can get a license at 16.

That Nest thing seems like utter chaos! DD's school is on block scheduling, 4 classes a day. There are 3 different lunch periods, DD's lunch is actually in the middle of a class. They go to the first half of the class, then to lunch and back to the same class.

Just curious, how long are your school days? DD starts at 8:35 and goes to 3:45 - Four 90 minute classes per day plus 37 minute lunch and 6 minute passing periods

Ours is 7:05-135- I'm not sure how ling each period is but I think it's in the 40 minute range-lunch is same as any other period time wise. They get a whopping 3 minutes between periods, which is why they all walk around with heavy backpacks-no time to go to their lockers! My daughter has lunch before 10am.

8:35 sounds heavenly! First bell is 7:20 and dismissal is 2:50. Four classes per day, not sure how long lunch is and 7 minutes to switch classes. DD attends a magnet school in another town so add in the bus ride (6:10am & 4:00pm) and it makes for a very long day.

I keep forgetting I'm a member of this thread as dd13 starts high school next week:rotfl:.

Here in NJ kids can get a permit at 16. For dd that'll be a week before her junior year starts so I don't know how that'll work.

I just order her a touch screen laptop for her birthday, ouch:faint:. I miss the days when a $5 webkin would make her happy.

Dd's day will go from 7:45 - 2:45. The bus comes around 7:15.

Bus picks up at 6:45am (alarms go off starting at 5:30am)
Formation is at 7:35am
They have 4 classes, lunch and rotation period (not sure how long everything is)
Dismissal is 3:05pm and he gets off the bus around 3:45pm.

ETA: This school is almost all electronic so there are very few, if any, textbooks. They mainly carry binders, notebooks, folders and eventually a laptop.
I believe I heard that the new (permanent) campus will have lockers but it hasn't been determined if they will be used or not. I guess they figure better to put them in when you build the school instead of adding them later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter