Parents of son's friend invitied him on a Disney trip for spring break next year

Get rid of cable and that bill alone could be saved to earn you and your whole family a trip to Disney or wherever you want to go. There problem solved.

Ironically, its only my self and my wife that watch TV. The kids rarely watch and when they do, they are watching something on NetFlix. I could save ~$200 per month by dropping cable TV... I am very close to doing that very thing... That's 2.4k a year... In a year and a half to 2 years, that could pay for a week long vacation for 5 in a mod at WDW! :ssst:

Thats tough.. how do you explain to your daughter that your son simply has better friends?
Courtesy of IMDb:
"No no, it's okay, it's okay. You are my family. You are my friends. You are not better friends than Froggy. You're just different, and, uh, I just thought that *maybe* that might be relevant. Okay. I'll leave you alone now."

They do not need payback so take that off the table. That is your excuse to say no. They are not asking you for money, correct?

13, Disney with a friend. How fun.

As long as you trust your child of course. That is the key thing. Is kid mature enough?

And you can't be "fair" with every kid. Fairness comes at odd times. Another child might get a different opportunity and then you say NO to "be fair".

Anyway it sets off a whole sibling rivalry thing on down the road.

Meet the parents for a lunch with the kids or something. Time to widen your sphere of influence.

GL on your decision.

I don't feel comfortable with the other parents because they have a lot more than me and in recent years I avoid friends and relatives who have a lot more than me because I don't feel good enough for them.

I don't feel comfortable with the other parents because they have a lot more than me and in recent years I avoid friends and relatives who have a lot more than me because I don't feel good enough for them.
Then get help for your self-esteem issues. You are hurting not only yourself but your whole family. As someone else said upthread, sorry to be harsh, but sometimes you have to stop beating around the bush with kindness. Stop the pity party right now and get help. And that goes for whether you are really who you say you are or a sock puppet that is craving the attention you are getting for this hard to believe story. Either way, you need help. It is hard to make that first call, but there is nothing to be ashamed about. Everyone deserves to be happy or at least content in life.

To quote NIKE
JUST DO IT

Ironically, its only my self and my wife that watch TV. The kids rarely watch and when they do, they are watching something on NetFlix. I could save ~$200 per month by dropping cable TV... I am very close to doing that very thing... That's 2.4k a year... In a year and a half to 2 years, that could pay for a week long vacation for 5 in a mod at WDW! :ssst:

Same here. I got rid of cable and only used swing and Netflix and Hulu together. Then I went to get a new phone and at&t talked me into getting direct tv. That was a year ago and I am seriously thinking about going back.

UH... that's weak. i get it now..
For somebody who doesn't take charity, you sure are looking for a ton of pity! :crazy2:

Last edited:
I’m not sure where you live, but there are so many “free” ways to go out and have fun with kids. Pack a picnic and go on a hike. Go on a bicycle ride with them. I’m not going to spend a lot of time listing all the fun things you can do because I highly suspect you aren’t open to any suggestions.

And redbox is a couple of bucks. You already stated you do movies and popcorn with the kids. Invite a couple of the kids’ friends and make it a party. Unless you legally can’t be alone with kids, there is no valid reason to be afraid to have other kids in your home. I was raised by my dad and I had my friends over all the time.

There are so many fun ways on the cheap to spend time with your kids. Kids aren’t missing out on anything special by not going to Disney or taking extravagant vacations. But for whatever reason, you seem set on taking the joy out of living and blaming it on finances. That’s a huge cop out IMHO.

Yeah, that's where I am with this. Nobody who actually felt this way would be posting all of this pity-me-please stuff. Someone is bored.

Yep.. at first he comes across as a man with a lot of pride.. i know guys like that who refuse anything that seems like charity.. those type of guys would never say something like 'I avoid friends and relatives who have a lot more than me because I don't feel good enough for them.' Those 2 seems contradictory to me. This is a game.. someone is bored. i get it. i have seen better but i have also seen worse and the gist of the original post is a good conversation.. but the self pity is just ploy... silly me..

I’m not sure where you live, but there are so many “free” ways to go out and have fun with kids. Pack a picnic and go on a hike. Go on a bicycle ride with them. I’m not going to spend a lot of time listing all the fun things you can do because I highly suspect you aren’t open to any suggestions.

And redbox is a couple of bucks. You already stated you do movies and popcorn with the kids. Invite a couple of the kids’ friends and make it a party. Unless you legally can’t be alone with kids, there is no valid reason to be afraid to have other kids in your home. I was raised by my dad and I had my friends over all the time.

There are so many fun ways on the cheap to spend time with your kids. Kids aren’t missing out on anything special by not going to Disney or taking extravagant vacations. But for whatever reason, you seem set on taking the joy out of living and blaming it on finances. That’s a huge cop out IMHO.

We do rebox once a month. Everything else is on Netflix or DVDs that I bought years ago.

Yeah, that's where I am with this. Nobody who actually felt this way would be posting all of this pity-me-please stuff. Someone is bored.
If this is who I think it is, she needs to take a break and go listen to her backstreet boy cds.

And kids don’t care about what a house looks like or what needs fixing. Theyvlike to be at a home where there is love and laughter. Don’t worry about the rest.

Sadly it doesn't seem like there is much laughter in that house. And it's not about the size of the house or what you can give your kids, OP. I grew up in a low-income housing development. Me, my sister who is 9 years younger, my mom and dad all lived in a very small 2 bedroom apartment. I shared a bedroom with my sister until I moved out on my own. We never went on vacation, not even a weekend trip because we just couldn't afford it. My first time on a plane was when I was 22. We didn't have fancy things. But I can tell you I had a happy childhood. Everyone loved to come to our tiny apartment because we were always finding ways to MAKE fun from what we had. I would have killed for a backyard to camp out in. But we made do with what we had and I don't think I ever noticed or cared about things we couldn't afford.

I’m the oldest of four. My family could afford to go on vacation, and we did go to Disney once, but it was mostly a two week trip to our favourite campground. Some of my best memories are from those summers.

Back on point, as the oldest of four it was not uncommon for one of us to get things from a friend that the others didn’t get. We were jealous for a minute or two and then we moved on to fighting over who got to use the computer next lol

We do rebox once a month. Everything else is on Netflix or DVDs that I bought years ago.

Excellent. So watch a movie with the kids and maybe finish it off by throwing some blankets in the car and driving out of the city to go stargazing. Invite the kids' friends and they'll all have a great time. There is no reason to live under the guise that you can't afford fun and good memories with your kids. I feel so sorry for them, honestly. It must be pretty depressing in your house. Just reading your posts feels oppressive.

OP, it is likely true that other kids do not enjoy being at your house, but it has nothing to do with the size of the house or what things you have in it, and everything to do with your attitude. It is miserable being around someone who insists on acting the martyr all the time. That your children have to live with that, with you as the only parent in the household is just very wrong. If this is for real, you truly must seek help for your mental state, your children deserve that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter