• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Paid FP options coming soon to WDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't worry about this. I don't believe Disney would do something this massive without giving everyone an advance notice (of many months). And the post which started that rumor is lacking in clarification based on one person's claim.

May could be when they announce the change to begin at a future date.

And I believe it will be nothing more than an opportunity to buy additional FPs beyond the 3 you are already allowed per day...similar to the test program they did for club level resort guests. It could be just a bigger rollout of that.
I'm not in the worried camp just like to know ahead of time. :)

It’s definitely still only a rumor - albeit from a credible source.

That said, to me it feels like one of those “where there is smoke, there is fire” things and sort of expect something to come out - but it might blnot be as impactful/extreme as many of us fear
I have said it before, I will say it again for the benefit of the poster you quoted, this screams of fake news to me, just like the 100s of other times the topic has been suggested by "credible sources" that date all the way back to before FP was even introduced. Seriously it goes back that far, although back then it didn't have the same traction it does now because the internet was barely a thing.

It wouldn't surprise me if Disney actually started the rumor so they could read all the speculation. That way they could get more ideas on how to best design and implement the new FP plan.

Last edited:
It wouldn't surprise me if Disney actually started the rumor so they could read all the speculation. That way they could get more ideas on how to best design implement the new FP plan.
I could see them starting a rumor to see what people would think about a FP plan. I think the only way I would pay for it is if it was something like what Universal does where no scheduling is involved and there is a very minimal wait (5 minutes or less) when you use it.

I wouldn't worry about this. I don't believe Disney would do something this massive without giving everyone an advance notice (of many months). And the post which started that rumor is lacking in clarification based on one person's claim.

May could be when they announce the change to begin at a future date.

And I believe it will be nothing more than an opportunity to buy additional FPs beyond the 3 you are already allowed per day...similar to the test program they did for club level resort guests. It could be just a bigger rollout of that.

I believe this is going to happen and I also think this ^ is the likely scenario. And maybe phased roll-out. From what's been said, there will still be some number of freebies but very unlikely any beyond 3 will be possible for free and choices for those could be limited in some way. They'll probably offer several different options at different price points. I'm definitely in the camp of hoping there is the option to freely select (not pre-chosen bundles) with no scheduling. It will undoubtedly be controversial. There will be those who like having the different options and don't mind paying as long as the value is there (and that is important... the value must be there). There will also be those who are vehemently opposed to it. Either way, I don't think Disney cares. They will do whatever they want to do and this is hardly a radical new thing. Every other theme park in the country/world has some variation of this now, including Universal. Disney has been the last holdout. If costs get too far out of hand and attendance levels drop to the point that profits are being affected, they'll just adjust in some way with enticements, discounts, etc.

What I do think is kind of a shame is that just ticket prices alone are already pricing out a lot of families. The mom and dad with a family of 4 or more are already looking at a small fortune just to get into the parks. Add on ever-increasing food/drink, hotel, and transportation prices and a lot of families just can't afford to go. I work with professional people with quite good incomes and I hear it all the time. Where I live, airline deals have long since dried up and the drive is a very long one so that has to be factored in as well. Most tell me they've checked it out and they just can't afford to spend that much on a family vacation. I'd much rather see add-ons that are optional rather than more increases to the basics.

Disney had always tried to tell us they were different, yet in so many ways the last decade has been them going the "industry standard" route.

True, but imo where Disney needs to set itself apart is through stellar customer service, mind-blowing experiences and top level quality in every aspect of their parks and resorts. They still have a long way to go to set things right, but I have hope with all we know is coming. For me though, free vs paid FP is not even on the list of what sets them apart.

I believe this is going to happen and I also think this ^ is the likely scenario. And maybe phased roll-out. From what's been said, there will still be some number of freebies but very unlikely any beyond 3 will be possible for free and choices for those could be limited in some way. They'll probably offer several different options at different price points. I'm definitely in the camp of hoping there is the option to freely select (not pre-chosen bundles) with no scheduling. It will undoubtedly be controversial. There will be those who like having the different options and don't mind paying as long as the value is there (and that is important... the value must be there). There will also be those who are vehemently opposed to it. Either way, I don't think Disney cares. They will do whatever they want to do and this is hardly a radical new thing. Every other theme park in the country/world has some variation of this now, including Universal. Disney has been the last holdout. If costs get too far out of hand and attendance levels drop to the point that profits are being affected, they'll just adjust in some way with enticements, discounts, etc.

What I do think is kind of a shame is that just ticket prices alone are already pricing out a lot of families. The mom and dad with a family of 4 or more are already looking at a small fortune just to get into the parks. Add on ever-increasing food/drink, hotel, and transportation prices and a lot of families just can't afford to go. I work with professional people with quite good incomes and I hear it all the time. Where I live, airline deals have long since dried up and the drive is a very long one so that has to be factored in as well. Most tell me they've checked it out and they just can't afford to spend that much on a family vacation. I'd much rather see add-ons that are optional rather than more increases to the basics.
I think that the CL price point is low and doesn't price enough people out. Am I alone in thinking that the majority of people would spend an extra $50 per person, per day, three day minimum, to have 6 pre-scheduled tierless FP's?

Didn't have time to read through this whole thread, but wondered: the current form of fp (booking 60 or 30 days in advance) is only, what, 5 years old? It's not like it's been a tried and true perk for onsite guests for decades. My daughter is only 12 and during her first trip at age 6 I clearly remember rushing around for paper fp's - there was absolutely no fp advantage to those staying onsite. As a child growing up, we had no fp's at all (gasp!).

Not saying it isn't greedy for Disney to weigh the option of paid fp, but Disney does tend to change how they do things every few years. Nothing lasts forever, unfortunately.

The vast majority of guests do not stay onsite. It makes sense to me for Disney to try to make the majority of their guests happier by offering a way that they aren't constantly shut out of those impossible to obtain fp's. Onsite guests still have the perks of transportation, EMH, free magic bands, convenient dining, themed rooms, etc. etc. Disney resorts are almost always at near full capacity. I don't expect that would change if free 60 day fp's were taken away. Most guests are staying there for the atmosphere / experience, not the fp's.
Yes but were the hotels always so close to capacity back then? They're at 90 to 95% capacity year-round. That may as well be full. I may be wrong, but I don't think it was like that 6 years ago?

I think that the CL price point is low and doesn't price enough people out. Am I alone in thinking that the majority of people would spend an extra $50 per person, per day, three day minimum, to have 6 pre-scheduled tierless FP's?
I don’t normally go for 3 days so that wouldn’t be useful for me, but 50 a day in general per person, maybe. Remember though, this is club level so to actually get it you are spending quite a bit more. I’d be interested to see if people choose CL over the room they were planning to book for the FP... that would be an expense and would be truly telling

But that’s on top of already paying high rates for the CL rooms. I think that is what has kept this so controlled for now. We want to try the program in August and I def had sticker shock moving to club level at poly. I am excited about it but it’s not cheap. I would tend to agree that that price exclusive of any other hotel costs isn’t that much

But that’s on top of already paying high rates for the CL rooms. I think that is what has kept this so controlled for now. We want to try the program in August and I def had sticker shock moving to club level at poly. I am excited about it but it’s not cheap. I would tend to agree that that price exclusive of any other hotel costs isn’t that much
I don’t normally go for 3 days so that wouldn’t be useful for me, but 50 a day in general per person, maybe. Remember though, this is club level so to actually get it you are spending quite a bit more. I’d be interested to see if people choose CL over the room they were planning to book for the FP... that would be an expense and would be truly telling
Yes, CL is expensive. But the previous comment alluded to the program rolling out everywhere. I agree that the CL stays are expensive (I have one booked in December!) and I think this does police itself in the number of additional FP's given out. But if this program rolled out to every on site hotel, I think that too many people would pay that price, and the FP line would be just like the standby line.

And yes - I did book CL just for the FP's!

It might be affordable for couples or single travelers, but it definitely prices out most families. It would cost our family an extra $400 per day, or a minimum of $1200.00 extra, just for 3 more fp's per day. No way would I pay for that - we'd just rope drop and wait in longer lines instead.

Yes but were the hotels always so close to capacity back then? They're at 90 to 95% capacity year-round. That may as well be full. I may be wrong, but I don't think it was like that 6 years ago?
I'm fairly certain that the only time periods that the hotels weren't fully booked was during recessions and after 9/11. Which had nothing to do with fp incentives. But I could be wrong...

I could see Disney extending and offering the "club level" perk to all Deluxe guests only. That would probably convince a lot of people who mainly do values or moderates to give the expensive Deluxe resorts for that perk (or buy into DVC). The problem is -- how many people would do that and wouldn't 3 EXTRA fast passes per person just consume a lot of the availability for the regular guests.

I think the problem Disney has now is that the availability of "high demand" attractions is SO hard to get, so guests get frustrated.
I am sure there are plenty of people who book a normal 3-4 day trip -- look to get a FP for the new attractions like SDD or FOP .. and find nothing available -- even at the first minute of their FP window. Frustrating. To them the system is failing. If you can't get a FP to skip the longest lines in the park, the system is useless to them.

Then you get the guests who aren't in the know or staying offsite and try for FPs at 30 days and don't have much left.

What ends up happening is this great "free" perk that you advertise has the impression of not being very useful and you get guests who go to the parks, not getting a FP for FOP and getting frustrated at a 2 hour+ line.

So .. I think paid fast passes aren't just for "greed" .. but to help control the demand for those high-demand FPs and give those frustrated guests an option (albeit a paid one) to skip the line.

For my family of 6 this would be a MINIMUM cost of $900 for 3 days, on top of the cost of Club level. That definitely prices us out

I would absolutely not spend that if there was an alternative. For a family of four that is a minimum $600 extra, on top of the charge for Club Level rooms. For that price I'd go to Universal for a couple of days, or go to the beach and relax.

For me there aren’t enough rides I would pay for. Maybe FOP and slinky dog because I haven’t been on them much. I can’t see myself paying for rides like space or even mine train because I’ve been on them too many times for “free” for it to seem worth paying. Of course this would change once all the new rides are open which is what they’re expecting.

We looked into CL and the value isn't there for us. Only 3 ppl sure the extra FP would cost us less than a party of 5, but the lounge food still wouldn't balance the cost overall for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter