• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Paid FP options coming soon to WDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't have time to read through this whole thread, but wondered: the current form of fp (booking 60 or 30 days in advance) is only, what, 5 years old? It's not like it's been a tried and true perk for onsite guests for decades. My daughter is only 12 and during her first trip at age 6 I clearly remember rushing around for paper fp's - there was absolutely no fp advantage to those staying onsite. As a child growing up, we had no fp's at all (gasp!).

Not saying it isn't greedy for Disney to weigh the option of paid fp, but Disney does tend to change how they do things every few years. Nothing lasts forever, unfortunately.

The vast majority of guests do not stay onsite. It makes sense to me for Disney to try to make the majority of their guests happier by offering a way that they aren't constantly shut out of those impossible to obtain fp's. Onsite guests still have the perks of transportation, EMH, free magic bands, convenient dining, themed rooms, etc. etc. Disney resorts are almost always at near full capacity. I don't expect that would change if free 60 day fp's were taken away. Most guests are staying there for the atmosphere / experience, not the fp's.

but how many guests have no idea about FP+ and are not using them? If the general public doesn't perceive that FP+ were previously 3 freebies, only then you could get more (with a $$$$$$ P2P version), then they aren't going to be shaken up about Disney starting to do it.

What I think Disney is doing to combat the Crazy Disney Planning is to offer the Average Guest, (the non- FP+ guest) flexibility INTO the FP+ system. whereas before, there is only "refresh", standby or the tiered rodeo that is pre-booking your FP+. What Disney is trying to provide in the Guest Experience is for the families who show up with No Plan and are Having No Fun because they can't access the amenities because too many pre-booking reservations were made by the rest of us Disney-super-planners :) I'll bet that Disney will be able to get guests to pay all sorts of upcharges through the apps soon enough! No walk-ups or ADRs available for a TS? Hop on your phone and book the Upscale Dining Experience, be shown to the now-private second floor of the TS, and have your meal.

Now if this worked inversely and line-cutters suddenly saw an upcharge for the FP+ on that ride be deducted from their account... LOL

So its been 6 days since this thread started and we are up to 52 pages wow!
I admit I haven't followed it much and didn't think it would get this big this fast.
So is this all still rumor or is there actual info about how it will work and what it will cost?
I've only heard its starting in May.
My FP+ day is May 23rd so I'd like to know my options before then.
Its also odd to me that Disney has not announced anything and we are only about 2 months away.
I recall Maxpass was going into effect just after my trip to DL and Disney had announced it several months in advance.

I admit I haven't followed it much and didn't think it would get this big this fast.
So is this all still rumor or is there actual info about how it will work and what it will cost?
Its also odd to me that Disney has not announced anything and we are only about 2 months away.
I recall Maxpass was going into effect just after my trip to DL and Disney had announced it several months in advance.

It is only a rumor.

Disney wouldn't announce this and have it start tomorrow. They will give probably at least a month, likely longer, if/when it happens.

It’s definitely still only a rumor - albeit from a credible source.

That said, to me it feels like one of those “where there is smoke, there is fire” things and sort of expect something to come out - but it might blnot be as impactful/extreme as many of us fear

May has been deemed "doubtful" so I wouldn't expect it that early, to add to what others have said.

But how many guests have no idea about FP+ and are not using them?...
I think the better question is how many guests know about the 3 FPs they get 60 or 30 days out (which are heavily promoted) AND also know that they can get more FPs through the day by constantly refreshing? 0.1%? 1%? 10%? And how many of those refresh fastpasses are rerides?

If part of the Disney's reason for revamping the FP+ system is to 'even out' guest experiences those numbers matter significantly.

If so many people didn't understand FP+ before, why should any of this help them in the future? I guess that I'm not following the reasoning.
Disney Employee: a lot of our guests don’t even realize they can get 3 FPs for free

Bob Iger: Then let’s start charging for them and market the heck out of that!! They will thank us for this excellent new “enhanced experience” due to “guest demand”!
1zenXYoSqgLfjTPhqoEKMqg-1.gif

Last edited:
but how many guests have no idea about FP+ and are not using them? If the general public doesn't perceive that FP+ were previously 3 freebies, only then you could get more (with a $$$$$$ P2P version), then they aren't going to be shaken up about Disney starting to do it.

What I think Disney is doing to combat the Crazy Disney Planning is to offer the Average Guest, (the non- FP+ guest) flexibility INTO the FP+ system. whereas before, there is only "refresh", standby or the tiered rodeo that is pre-booking your FP+. What Disney is trying to provide in the Guest Experience is for the families who show up with No Plan and are Having No Fun because they can't access the amenities because too many pre-booking reservations were made by the rest of us Disney-super-planners :) I'll bet that Disney will be able to get guests to pay all sorts of upcharges through the apps soon enough! No walk-ups or ADRs available for a TS? Hop on your phone and book the Upscale Dining Experience, be shown to the now-private second floor of the TS, and have your meal.

Now if this worked inversely and line-cutters suddenly saw an upcharge for the FP+ on that ride be deducted from their account... LOL
We went to Disney for the first time since I was a kid this past October. I very easily found out about FP+ with just a little bit of research online and just by talking to others who had been. Honestly I knew about it before we were even planning a trip. I know there are some people who actually don't know about them but I find it surprising. I just can't imagine showing up to Disney with no plan or Fastpasses. I think it will suck if people who educate themselves will now have to pay for Fastpasses because others who don't plan for Disney complain that they have to wait in line.

Last edited:
Disney Employee: a lot of our guests don’t even realize they can get 3 FPs for free

Bob Iger: Then let’s start charging for them and market the heck out of that!! They will thank us for this excellent new “enhanced experience” due to “guest demand”!
1zenXYoSqgLfjTPhqoEKMqg-1.gif
Love the .gif, especially because Disney will own the Simpsons in 4 days.

My son was accepted into the Disney College Program for this summer and fall. I think they get a lot of workforce through this program! It is cut throat to get into too! His pay will be $10/hr as a lifeguard. They don't have to pay for insurance, retirement or living with all these interns either!

Wow, I think interns should get more money then $10 an hour. I guess when you have to pay the CEO millions a year, the real workers get less. I have no problem with paying the CEO a lot but at least pay the workers a decent raise when the company is doing Fantastic!

Wow, I think interns should get more money then $10 an hour. I guess when you have to pay the CEO millions a year, the real workers get less. I have no problem with paying the CEO a lot but at least pay the workers a decent raise when the company is doing Fantastic!

Well, they are already paying them more than minimum wage and have agreed to raise salaries ... now, it is enough? Probably not (personally more than the starting salaries I would like to see them raise salaries for CMs who have been there and show they add value and want to stay and make a career out of it) but Disney is better than some. They also just reduced Iger’s salary for not hitting the closing date for FOX

Can they do better? Yes but they do seem to hold executives accountable and pay more than the minimum to even starting CMs - so better than a lot of companies

I wouldn't worry about this. I don't believe Disney would do something this massive without giving everyone an advance notice (of many months). And the post which started that rumor is lacking in clarification based on one person's claim.

May could be when they announce the change to begin at a future date.

And I believe it will be nothing more than an opportunity to buy additional FPs beyond the 3 you are already allowed per day...similar to the test program they did for club level resort guests. It could be just a bigger rollout of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter