OT: DS turns 5 end of July so Kindergarten or no Kindergarten

Our kindergarten was all day (7:45-3:00) with no nap as well. And the curriculum is very advanced. We are in a new school district this year (but in the process of getting the heck out of here!) and the kids are bored out of their minds. NOT because they are older, but because they are doing what they did 2 yrs ago at home. Dd8 (2nd grade-Nov. birthday) is always complaining that no one else in her class can tell time. Today someone asked her and she said "it's 11:39." The teacher bragged on her because they've only learned it to the quarter hour. I asked her how she knew it, and both kids yelled back "because we learned it in kindergarten!" So besides all the other factors mentioned, the school curriculum also plays a role.

It was a great time-the cold seemed to keep most folks away. And the judging comment wasn't to you, but for the whole thread.

And if anyone is worried about my 10 yr old 4th grader being a bully, let me set your mind at ease. He lets everybody else walk all over him. His 8 yr old sister is a different story though;) !

We weren't cold! We are from MA! No actually, it was a little chilly.

I am sorry if I did come off judgmental towards anyone. I just know what it was like for my oldest son. But he is fine and doing great so I guess that is all that matters.

My son will turn 5 the end of July. He went to preschool 2 days a week at 3 and 3 days a week at 4. Both for 1/2 day. I am trying to decide if I should send him to kindergarten in 2008 or wait a year. Academically, he is ready. He knows colors, shapes, how to write his name, counting, letters, sounds. However, he is still immature and doesn't have good self control. I am wondering if waiting that extra year will make a difference or not. I know if I send him now, there will be kids in his class that are a whole year older than him.

Anyone have a similiar experience?? Did you send him or wait?? I know I wont' regret waiting, but I don't want him to be bored if I do.

Any thoughts or suggestions....

Welllllllllllllllllll,

Since you asked, I haven't read any of the other posts, so please excuse me if I'm repeating anyone.
My son was five in July and my daughter was five in Aug. they are seven years apart and I thought that since I went ahead and sent my son on to kinder that my daughter would probably be the same. Not so!

In the case of my son, he was very ahead when it came to academics and I'm not saying that to bost I'm saying that so you can compare, maturity I thought he was very capable of handling himself. He was very mannerly, he's also not a overly energetic kid, as far as I could see the only regret I had sending him was that he wasn't up to par when it came to sports, he was always the youngest on the team, which meant he wasn't all together ready physically for the sport, that was until about 12 when he started swim team over the summer. Now he's one of the best swimmers on his high school team.

As for his sister, whole different matter, she went to preschool starting at three (unlike her brother who never went) and went until she entered kinder. We decided to hold her back the year she turned five because she wasn't a good listener and she was kinda high energy, she had a mind of her own and didn't really think she should always follow what was told to her, she's still all of those things at home for the most part but in school she's an angel. Which is just fine for me, as long as she's good in school, I can deal with the at home part.

Holding her back was the BEST thing we could have done for her, she's the oldest in the class but she has serious confidence, she's a leader, the teacher counts on her to help out those who are needing a little help in academics. The year she did a pre-kinder class (which is for those five year olds that aren't just quiet ready) we didn't even see the kid we needed to see for kinder until about half way through the year. I was a little worried starting her a year later because she was pretty smart, I was worried that she would be bored, and she is sometimes, but that's where we come in and give her things to challenge her at home, this is also where talking with the teacher about challenging her more is an absolute, but she's also a self motivater and self teacher, so if she gets to bored she will make things harder for herself so she won't be bored.

I look at the other kids in her class and you can so TOTALLY tell the summer kids who's parents started them in kinder at five who weren't ready, (and it's almost all of them) they are always being left behind, and I see their confidence dwindle each year as they feel they aren't where they see they need to be, then when they get held back it makes it even worse for them.(This doesn't include the kids that are totally out of hand because they don't know how to handle themselves so they take it out on everyone around them) As much as I would like to I can't really fault the teachers in this area, they have huge jobs, and they can only get to so many kids, and when there is a class with a few summer kids, those are the one's that get left behind because they don't have the time to spend with them to catch them up.

They never forget being held back, I know my daughter sure hasn't,LOL she will still remind me that I held her back and tells me I should have let her go to kinder when she was five so she's not bored, but trust me she would be dealing with a whole other set of problems if I had, and I wasn't willing to take the risk. :scared1: I realized that my son was an exception not the norm after I dealt with my daughter having to go through this and seeing the kids in her class struggle I've never thought I made a bad decision, infact it was one of my best as a parent.

Let's face it there aren't a lot of decisions we make as parent's that we don't second guess,:confused3 this has never been one of them where my daughter is concerned, my son I wondered often if I did the right thing and he turned out to be great in school and with maturity, but I wondered from time to time if I did the right thing because of his physical limitations in sports. But in the end you have to be the one to really weigh the options for your child and see what you think will work out for them, not for ourselves, we aren't the one's going through it like they do

Actually, there are different cut-off dates in NJ. Our cut-off is October 1st. (I know just a day difference). And a few towns in my area are December 31st.

Yep, ours is 10/1 also. It was 10/15 up until a few years ago..

Actually, there are different cut-off dates in NJ. Our cut-off is October 1st. (I know just a day difference). And a few towns in my area are December 31st.

Our town has a cutoff of 10/31, six years ago I sent my dd to full day kindergarten when she was still four, she turned five in October. There were four other October birthdays in her kindergarten class of 22. Her friend is on the cut off day, 10/31. All the kids have done great. I guess redshirting is maybe not an issue around here? I don't remember it ever being brought up by anyone, with any of my kids.

I apologize for not reading all of the responses but I know that for many this is a hot button issue.

We have an October cut off. My second son is born as yours is, on July 25. My sister is now an elementary school principal, having taught special ed and elementary ed for many years. When he was born, I told her that she'd have to tell me if she felt he wasn't ready for K when the time came.

He went to daycare 3 days a week at 5 months, then at a year went to 5 days. As we got closer, it was clear that he was able to keep up with his brother (4.5 years older). He is smaller than my older son (slimmer of build) but he was able to handle group situations, listening, taking turns, those social things that they need to handle before going to K. While he wasn't reading or writing (and since starting we've had OT eval for his writing and he's improving dramatically) he's able to handle the situations in school well. Yes, his teacher has to remind him occasionally to raise his hand or not speak out of turn, but let's face it, should I immediately assume that those things are caused by his being a July birthday? Only if I want to torment myself into thinking that I did the wrong thing.

I don't believe I did. I believe he will succeed in school. And if putting him in K this past September was a mistake, you can bet my sister would have been the first in line to tell me. She can spot a last summer bday in a kid in an instant. And her feeling is that he's ready.

I grew up in NYC, where the cutoff was calendar year. If you turned 5 before 12/31, you went to K. No discussions, no holding back, none of this. It just didn't happen. Is that because the curriculum was not as academically based, because K was more about having fun and learning to be social and in a group rather than learning to read/write/do math at such a young age? I don't know. But I do know that there were many kids with 4th quarter bdays who did just fine. Having a late birthday didn't hurt them and I guess growing up with that kind of mentality, I don't look to hold back unless it's so obviously needed.

But again, this is a personal choice only a parent can make about their child. I'm sure you'll make the right decision for your child and wish both of you success.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter