Organize Your Scrap Space - 2010 Edition - Week 5 It's All About the Photos

I LOVE IKEA :love:

The list of IKEA stuff in my house is L.O.N.G!!

I also have those baskets. I love them! Very easy to carry, and they have strong metal upper and lowers so they can hold lots and lots and not break.

I think I have the main goals for my Crap Room. Mine needs to be a scrappy, beading, stained glass, office, TV room... lots to expect of one space...

"Allergic to Ikea" :rotfl: Don't let my DH hear that excuse!

My craft room is like 75-80% Ikea and it's great for storage. I have to agree with Sarah, those cardboard boxes and magazine holders are awesome! The boxes come in 2 sizes and lots of different colors. I use them for everything (and used SCAL to make matching labels)
ry%3D400

I realized last night I have to organize photos. I found some that I forgot I had and printed again - oops! So . . .

My biggest problem areas: Photos are everywhere! I have to come up with a better system and get over my fear of looking through pre-digital pictures, tossing bad photos and duplicates, and figure out how to scrap them.

Everything else, I think, is working for me.

Jennifer I love the words on the boxes!!

Allergic to Ikea?!?!? Heck no!! It's my new favorite store!! Good thing it's over an hour away, or I'd be there every day!

Ours is through a toll tunnel(DH's other excue - not paying £1.40 each way to buy c**p furniture:headache:) but there is supposed to be a new one built just next to our Tesco on the site of an old factory - that would be brilliant!

Wow...I was just sucked into the jetmax thread from the cricut board...

Ok, I have just sat down and tried to make a list of all the important items I need in my new designed scraproom but now can I see your lists incase I forgot somethings. Mine is already a page long and right now I got to reframe from buying any paper. OH NO imposible.

This year's challenge is getting off to a rip-roaring start...NOT. :lmao: I thought I would have had some time to figure out a plan of attack, but I have been focusing on finishing my 2 current swaps, and so I haven't gotten around to it yet.

So daily tasks will have to wait, and I'll borrow a Weekly task, straight from Wookiemouse's 2Pea's Challenge.

http://wookiemouse.blogspot.com/2009/06/organization-challenge-week-2.html

Brainstorming.

Last week, we focused on what was wrong with the current setup. This week, focus on what your "ideal" space would look like. Focus on the way you work. You may fall in love with a room you saw online, but if you don't like to scrap while standing, counter height workspaces probably aren't going to work for you. Even if you know you can't get your ideal space, just thinking about your ideal space could give you a spark of an idea on what you could do.

For example, I loved the idea of the Clip-it-Up to have stickers visible, but I knew 1. I didn't have the money 2. I wouldn't have the desk top space. So I came up with the alternate idea of using a cheap curtain rod instead. Takes up no desktop space, and I did it for under $10.

One of the things I've realized, while working on these swaps, is that I don't want to take the time to put my scraps away as I'm working. So I need to make sure I have a bin or something, to dump them in as I'm creating. It keeps my work area cleaner, and they are already "together" when I finish and it's time to clean things up.

Wookiemouse also suggests: Take a picture of how your room looks today. This will be your motivation for the future.

Some of you have already started/done this stuff, so :woohoo: for you, you are ahead. I'll get some pics up of my room, because it is post creation, so stuff is all pulled out.

Ok - here's our scrap space! Z2H and I spent a lot of time re-re-re-doing it and I think we both feel it works well for us. The space is our (former!) dining room, right off the living room and kitchen. That works well for us, since we can be convenient to everyone (ok, sometimes, not a plus!!!), but we can pull the draperies and swinging door closed and that's a signal not to interrupt. Furnishings are a mix of desks we had (DHs from childhood), chrome wire shelf units (mostly from BJs and Target), and some handy stuff from IKEA and The Container Store. We really try to use *every* square inch for something!

The general layout:

100_2822.jpg

Looking into the scrap space from the living room:

100_2802.jpg

Another view of most of the scrap space from the living room:

100_2801.jpg

Close-up of Desk #1:
This is sort of the primary workspace area. Shelf behind holds my primary paper supply (sorted primarily by color, like - white, then white patterned below, ivory, then ivory patterned below, etc.), DCWV stacks, some scrap supplies, received swap items, and the Baby Bug. My currently kitted up page kits are hanging on the left side of the shelf unit, in 2.5 gallon Baggies. Desk drawers primarily hold photos/negatives to be sorted. The desk's top open shelf below holds frequently-used pens and Copic markers.

100_2809.jpg

Front of Desk #1 - showing some punch storage and rhinestones. Other punch storage baskets are mounted on Desk #2.

100_2815.jpg

Pegboard storage shelves/drawers/pegs mounted above Desk #1 hold eyelets, brads, Primas, sanding supplies, chalk inks, buttons, Dew Drops/Skittles, ATG guns, tapes, rulers:

100_2816.jpg

In the little sliver of space (15" wide) right behind Desk #1 between the built-in china cabinet and my shelf unit, I made a thin pegboard set of shelves for spray can adhesives; supply of Baggies; postal scales; wax paper; ModPodge/Liquid Accents; excess pegboard hooks, S-hooks, and zip-ties; Cutterpede paper cutters; and cutting mats. The paper shredder is on the floor:

100_2818.jpg

Close-up of Desk #2 - hanging above it (on the side of the white plastic stacked drawer units) are pop-dots, fabric embellishments, some sticky-back rhinestones, etc. There also are three other punch baskets mounted on the front side of Desk #2, but only the top basket with some blue colored Fiskars punches are visible.

100_2808.jpg

Cricut cart storage mounted to the side of Desk #2

100_2821.jpg

The stacked white plastic drawer units alongside Desk #2:

100_2811.jpg

Immediately behind Desk #2 are two shelving units in the corner - forming an L shape. This first shelf unit primarily holds my Coredinations and Gemstone papers, various craft supplies, albums being filled with layouts, scrappy magazines, Z2Hs Iris boxes, and the crate on the bottom shelf holds our scrap paper (in the 2.5 gallon baggies) separated by color. Ribbon storage (on dowels held onto the wire grid by long S-hooks) is on the end.

100_2812.jpg

This shows both shelves. The second shelf unit holds crop/tote supplies, extra magnetic tins, the Cricut Expression and mats, and Z2Hs paper supply and embellishments.

100_2807.jpg

Rounding the next corner is our computer area (the computer can be easily cabled over to the Expression for SCAL cutting) with our Stickles/glitter storage mounted to the side of the table:

100_2819.jpg

Close-up of the tableside:

100_2820.jpg

And, finally (whew!) is our tall chrome wire wheeled rack. This holds a lot of our most used equipment (Cuttlebug, CropADile Big Bite, Fastenator, Tag Curler, and Xyron adhesive machines and Design Runner) and their supplies, Scor-Pal, ATG tape supply, yarn, etc. The one thing I learned about myself is that I NEED to see my stickers and embellishments - I can't use an accordion file or storage boxes where the items are hidden away...I forget what I have! So, virtually all of my embellishments are hanging off this rack (it spins around on casters) from three sides of the wire shelves. They are generally grouped by topic/theme/holiday, or whatever. (Ignore DHs magic cabinet! It is the last "non-scrappy" item left in the room! :rotfl2:)

100_2810.jpg

We really enjoy working in this space and use it frequently every day - and couldn't say that when it was the official "dining room!"

PinballFamily/Pam

Wow! I'm coming to your house...If your Stickles shelf is a little less empty, I know nuttin' about it. :lmao:

Wow! I'm coming to your house...If your Stickles shelf is a little less empty, I know nuttin' about it. :lmao:

I wanted to put a few in my pockets when we were there the other day. I got a little overwhelmed though! I tried to imagine all my stuff in one room, and thought I'd hyperventilate.

Didn't you tell us you only started scrapping a year or so ago! I can't imagine using your supplies in a decade.

Rebecca

Holy toledo Batman you have a lot of stuff, but it's so organized!!

I could pocket a few stickles as well. Never ever let DD in your space!! LOL She swipes anything pink, especially stickles!

LOL, I noticed the liquor in the cabinet, I want to see pages after you've dipped into that!! :rotfl2::rotfl2:

OK, so how do I broach the subject with DH about either packing up the furniture in the dining room or getting rid of it.
Honestly it's not our taste but I don't think he's ready to get rid of it, especially with the first anniversary of his mother's death coming up right after her b'day.

I have this too! We have ours set up in the middle of the room with a desk hanging off either side (also sold from ikea). Unfortunately it's like book storage not crafts :( We have a few other of the bookshelves in the same style and one of those I AM filling with craft stuff. Here is the container I use to hide the clutter.

81713_PE206940_S3.JPG

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40133545

Thanks for the info Tiffany! I like the bins a lot. I'm kind of a bin snob, I have them everywhere! LOL

This week I really need to get a vision of what I want out of the room. DH is jumping up and down about getting organized and getting rid of stuff. I just hope he realizes I'm not getting rid of more of my things. My stuff always gets tossed or packed up first. I really need to room to function!

Didn't you tell us you only started scrapping a year or so ago! I can't imagine using your supplies in a decade.

Rebecca

Thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this.

See? When I "borrow paper without asking," I'm not stealing, I'm just helping you get through your decade's supply of paper! :teeth:

I'm going to show DH these pics so when he says I have too much stuff I can explain I am practically a pauper in scrap terms:rolleyes1 Especially stickles - he HATES them because I put them on the CD rack in front of the discs and they fall off when he gets CDs out. I even bought a shot of flavoured vodka in the sales - because it came in a cute little tin like a mini-SMEG fridge:rotfl2: - and put most of my stickles in there.

Unfortunately chances of persuading him we don't need a dining room are nil - if the conservatory was warmer I'd use that as a dining room (no good for scrapping as everything fades despite the shading:sad2: AND its freezing/baking for large parts of the year).

BAMB - how long is it til the birthday/first aniversary? If its not long I'd wait til a few weeks after, otherwise I'd go down the "I can see its making you sad having so many of your mom's things where you can see them, but I understand why they are special to you. Why don't we store them for a bit til we decide what we want to do/have room to display them in a better setting?" route. Not knowing your DH I don't know if he's fall for tht - but my DH can rarely reciognise sneaky! (He's so unsentimental he wouldn't keep much "in memory" of anyone, but its hard to get rid of furniture with a "value" to echange for stuff with no resale value but great practicality:headache: - like space to put my scrap stuff in:rotfl:

ETA if the magic cabinet is the "only non-scrappy item" I presume the liquor is essential to scrapping ;-)

:worship: PBF- I totally bow down to your organization and vision! Just beautiful!

So please tell me how you mounted the wire cube sides on the plastic drawers... Heck, how did you mount them on the desks too? I have an excess of these things, and never thought of using them in that way :idea:

What are the little shelves holding the stickles?

Where did you get that amazing chrome wheeling tall cart?

I so want to come and play with you guys!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter