Organize Your Scrap Space - 2010 Edition - Week 5 It's All About the Photos

No it does not function as a dining room. We have a big table in the living room that we eat at. It really is a catch all room, everything that doesn't have a home gets tossed in there until I find a place for it.

the clock is a floor clock, a grandfather clock. The sizzix is sitting on a marble top table that is between the china cabinet and the clock, forgot to add that in the layout.

The radiator is under the window between the corner cabinet and the china cabinet so that space is unavailable.

Yes, I really really need vertical storage where the buffet and mirror are, that is the biggest wall in the room. Honestly I'd like to get rid of the furniture all together, I just need to convince DH of that. I want bookcases on all the open wall space and a nice high desk/counter in the center.
But if I could just take the buffet out it would really open up my options. I'll take some more measurements after I eat and get the kids in bed.

I can also take the swinging door down to have it out of the way. It just hides the book case when you walk in the back door. The first thing you see is the clock.

Oh and on the back of the door is a shoe hanger with my punches. It works well but it's full so I can't really buy anymore punches. LOL

I think with some measurements, I can get something that works. DH's room, which is right behind me, is the same size as your dining room. I keep looking at your pics and his room for ideas. Window/door layout is a bit different, but not so much so that I can't vizualize. :goodvibes

I think as your buffet is full of crafting stuff (mostly!) you wouldn't gain much by moving it except maybe floor space. BUT if you could move the mirror you could have some shelves above it. And move the chair under the window for either a low piece of firniture or a stack of boxes. Could the linen be stored in the airing cupboard?

ETA I have a similar probelm - lots of collectibles and stuff filling up space where I could put scrap stuff :rolleyes:

Someone was asking about using those photo boxes from Michael's from storage. I just wanted to chime in... they work fine, but they are not 12" long (at least, not the ones I bought). So if you have a border piece/sticker or sticker sheet that is 12" long, you need to either cut it, fold it, or find another place for it. That said, I used those boxes for a long while for most of my scrapping storage (other than 12 x 12 paper).... I had them stacked in an old bookcase and it worked fairly well. I have moved on to the 12 x 12 plastic drawer units (3 drawers per unit..... from Target and Walmart) and they work really well. But they are more pricey then the photo boxes (about $10 per unit unless you can find a sale). And of course, they are less eco-friendly, if you are concerned about buying more plastic.

But of course, those 12 x 12 drawer units are fairly shallow, so for anything bulky you would need another system. I have combined the deeper, larger three drawer units (I have two of them side by side) with MANY of the 12 x 12 three drawer units (I have one stack of about 7 which almost reaches my ceiling that holds all KINDS of stuff, another stack of four or five that holds patterned paper, a stack of three that is for scrap cardstock organized by rainbow colors {ROYGBIV, plus black/white and brown/cream}, and about 4 others that are on the old bookcase as I slowly replace the photo box system).

As for an organizing system.... I guess you need to figure out what works for you. When I started scrapping the "modern" way about 15 years ago, it wasn't a matter of organizing the stuff by manufacturer or anything.... I was just lucky to FIND stuff that wasn't kids construction paper and teacher's stickers. So I started sorting by type and that is how I STILL do it.... and it works for me. Patterned paper is generally sorted by main color if it is just general patterns.... more specific stuff is sorted by "event" (travel paper, Easter paper, Disney paper, Halloween paper.

Stickers and other embellishments are sorted by season/holiday. I have a 12 x 12 drawer for each of the following.... Spring/Easter, Winter/Christmas/Valentine's day, Summer/Vacation/July 4th, Fall/Halloween/T.giving, plus a drawer for "all boy", "Girly", "heritage/vintage", "gardening/floral" (since I do an ongoing gardening book for my Dad), "Travel" (for trips other than our usual summer family vacation), and several drawers for Disney.

I do better keeping like items together, but maybe you work better keeping a specific manufacturer together or a certain line together. Think about how you work... what do you pick first? Do you always want to use coordinating lines of stickers/papers together, or do you mix and match?

If you are pressed for space, as many of us are, you need to think vertical. Put less-used stuff up higher, if it will be harder to reach. And don't forget about places like under the bed (you could easily store a lot of overflow cardstock and/or patterned paper there). Even if the storage area isn't right near the scrapping area, it might still work.

Attics and basements tend to be BAD for paper and stickers..... but okay for other things. So maybe you could move things from a linen closet or pantry to these areas to free up scrapping storage space in a more temperature/ humidity friendly environment. I would far rather head to the basement to retrieve my "twice a year" used roasting pan and free up a shelf for my Sizzix dies! Or better yet.... get rid of the roaster and use a disposable pan for the once or twice a year that I would really want a pan that big!

Anyhow... I just wanted to offer some input. Hope you all have great luck getting organized this year!...............P

I think as your buffet is full of crafting stuff (mostly!) you wouldn't gain much by moving it except maybe floor space. BUT if you could move the mirror you could have some shelves above it. And move the chair under the window for either a low piece of firniture or a stack of boxes. Could the linen be stored in the airing cupboard?

ETA I have a similar probelm - lots of collectibles and stuff filling up space where I could put scrap stuff :rolleyes:

I might be able to move some stuff from the cupboard to the cabinet over the refrigerator. We never use that cabinet because I can't reach it. I'll have to see if I can narrow the linens down more or fold them smaller.

I could put shelves over the buffet but the problem with that is the buffet is just deep enough that I can't reach above it. I have to stand on the buffet or move it just to clean the mirror.

I need to paint the room and that means removing all the furniture so I'm hoping to not bring anything back in after it's painted. :rolleyes1

Oh and I forgot to mention I have about 8-10 boxes of various scrap supplies packed up in the basement. I need to purge more!!! LOL

Another idea...is the table wide enough and high enough that it can slide over the radiator? If you shift it so the one side is basically flush against the window, would that open enough space that you can turn the buffet 180 degrees, so it's back is flush with the table? Then it would also act as a room divider and hide all the stuff you might have on the table from the front door.

I can slide it over the radiator if I turn it. The legs are like bird feet, three prongs so there is not a ton of room at the ends of the table. I can't even push the chair in all the way (you have no idea how much that bugs me!!!).

I think I can move the table linens to the linen closet upstairs. I never use them because they are really old but DH won't get rid of them.
He leaves tonight for DC so I will have time to get in there and rework some stuff.

Buffy- I love the furniture! and the builtin corner cabinet- it is so pretty. Too bad we arent closer- I could 'store' it for you!

Thanks! Ethan Allen, 1953ish mahogany. I just recovered the seats not to long ago, they were this hideous mauve color. Blech!
I'm going to paint the room a latte color and the inside of the corner cabinet will be the yellow from the living room. I love the cabinet! I'm glad it was a feature the previous owner kept, he was a bit of a whack-a-do.

I found what I want for storage!!!

Now convince DH to store the buffet somewhere else.

0092718_PE229441_S3.JPG

How about putting shelves over the buffet and putting the collectables on that? (you might have to find a glassed-in unit if you're not keen on dusting, like me:rolleyes1) The you'd have reachable space for other things.:thumbsup2

can i join in? i haven't been over here in quite a while...i feel lost :goodvibes

my basement is being finished as i type, we are having a finishing system put in and have never had any problem with water so i'm good with the location. but i can start over in my organizing and being that i love to reorganize i'm actually excited! the guys are working now but i'll take a measurement later. I have a glass-top computer desk that will be staying and simple 2 shelves along length of one wall. what i hope to do is hang on the wall my desk is adjacent too, my punches, embellisments and things I need out to remember i have. my husband has mentioned a track shelving system for the third wall. anyone have that?

here are 3 products i wrote down after some surfing, if you have any feedback would be fantastic!

IKEA rails to hold punches on the wall
Jetmax cubes
Making memories embellisment center

and i think i may order Making memories desktop carousel.

:thanks:

Is it from Ikea? If so, I have it and loooove it. These boxes fit nicely in it and do not take up the whole vertical space though, so smaller boxes, like photo storage ones can be placed on top of these. :)

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90115488

I could take a picture and show you mine with the boxes if you would like. :)
Yes it's from Ikea. I would love to see photos!!
I saw it somewhere else for scrap storage and it looks like 12 x 12 albums fit on the shelf. And I saw it had boxes that slid in too. do I want those?

can i join in? i haven't been over here in quite a while...i feel lost :goodvibes

my basement is being finished as i type, we are having a finishing system put in and have never had any problem with water so i'm good with the location. but i can start over in my organizing and being that i love to reorganize i'm actually excited! the guys are working now but i'll take a measurement later. I have a glass-top computer desk that will be staying and simple 2 shelves along length of one wall. what i hope to do is hang on the wall my desk is adjacent too, my punches, embellisments and things I need out to remember i have. my husband has mentioned a track shelving system for the third wall. anyone have that?

here are 3 products i wrote down after some surfing, if you have any feedback would be fantastic!

IKEA rails to hold punches on the wall
Jetmax cubes
Making memories embellisment center

and i think i may order Making memories desktop carousel.

:thanks:

everyone I know likes the jetmax cubes.
here is a link to the Cricut boards were some people posted their cube layouts

http://www.cricut.com/(S(exjqfj55lnuudb55oqtpkz45))/messageboard/tm.aspx?m=3408551&mpage=1

the rails are cool, I've also seen people use bath towel holders as a less expensive choice.

Here are some pictures for you. I have eight of those boxes I previously linked, but here is how tall they are (and how a photo box easily fits on top):

img2654.jpg

As you said, 12x12 albums fit very nicely as well. Here is my Disney book to show:

img2655.jpg

Another thing that fits nicely from Ikea are the cheap, cardboard magazine holders. Three can fit in each cube:

img2664.jpg

And there are other boxes/baskets that fit, but they are expensive. We do have a couple of the wicker ones (my sister has one too ;)), but I think they are $12 - $14 each. They also have clear plastic baskets which I did have at one point, but I don't like being able to see all the clutter. Here is the wicker basket (sorry for the blurriness, it takes up the entire space):

img2657s.jpg

And just for kicks, a picture of my scrapping area in my closet. The steel shelves I purchased at Target, they are awesome and cheap ($17ish per unit). ;) I think each shelf can hold 160 lbs. On the right hand unit, the Cricut and Cuttlebug occupy the top shelf. Below, the four black boxes hold paper and the white photo boxes hold a bunch of stuff (cutting tools, punches, adhesives, writing supplies, themed accents, and photos, each in their own box). On the left hand side, my photo printer and scanner are on the top. Below is my pile of scrapbooks and my magazines are in the white holders. Bottom shelf has more photo boxes holding stuff (ribbons, floral embellishments, and two labeled embellishments). And of course, I browse the internet/scrap in my authentic Wrigley Field stadium seat! :goodvibes Here is the photo:

img2679p.jpg

And since all of my scrapbooking stuff is in my closet, you may be wondering what is in all of those white boxes on my shelving unit. Welp, it is all LEGOS! Haha. Each box is it's own color, and each block type is organized and stored in a plastic bag (2x2 in one, 2x4 in another...). I'll never grow up. :) Sorry for the long post, but I like sharing pictures. :)

Thanks for sharing Sarah!! I do really like that and I think it would work in my space and give me tons of storage. Now to convince DH.

Now, let's talk legos. I saw the coolest storage unit for legos at the Lego store at Downtown Disney. I will try to find a picture of it, but DH is using his computer which is making mine really really slow.

We have about 5 big bins of legos, the kids just love them.

I wonder if I can persuade DH to get one of those units for my albums;) he's "allergic" to Ikea but has to go shortly to get a new wardrobe for DS16. All our walls are full though:headache: and he won't get rid of any antiques - do they come in a slimmer version? maybe I could squeeze it behind the TV if its just for my completed albums:goodvibes

We store our lego in one of those Ikea units with the pull-out plastic boxes (they sell them for kids rooms) -I can't remember the name, its just a wooden frame and you can fit different depth boxes in it. We used to have it all sorted - windows and doors in one, even a place for instruciton books 0 but now its all jumbled up:rolleyes: It DOES hold a load of lego though in a small footprint:thumbsup2

Glad the pictures helped! I do have the 4x4, but there was a bit of a mess in front of my unit... so I left that out of the pictures. ;)

Legos are the best! That is the one toy my mom refused to sell at all of those garage sales, and I am thankful she didn't! Now I have been collecting the pieces to build a Wrigley Field replica. Can you tell I am a Cubs fan yet? ;) I have tooooo much time on my hands! :rotfl: Can't wait to see the pic though!

and Mazda, yes they do come in smaller sizes! I have the 4x4, but there is also a 4x2 and a 2x2. My sister has a 4x2, going horizontally, and is using the top as a tv stand. :thumbsup2

Edit: Oh another thing. If you do decide to get one, definitely check the "As Is" section of your Ikea. At ours at least, there is always a new 4x4 there that is usually 1/3 off or more in price. And every time I look, it is always in nice condition. People probably buy the big ones, build them, realize its too big, then bring it back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter