Organize Your Scrap Space - 2010 Edition - Week 5 It's All About the Photos

hopemax

Note to Self:
I'm sticking the thread here this year, since the other organizational threads are here. Hopefully, with them all together, it will be easier to remember to work at it.

I'll be posting daily and weekly tasks, depending on how much time you have to dedicate to organization, and how big of a mountain you are starting with. The first one will probably be the same, for both, but otherwise, they will probably be different things. You overachievers can do both. :goodvibes There was also a good organizational challenge on 2Ps, over the second half of 2009, that I will be providing links to. A la the Flylady blog, the hostess wookiemouse did an awesome job covering everything.

I won't be starting with the tasks until next Friday. This week, I want to get a sense of what everybody's needs and what your "problem" areas are.

1. How much help do you need? Do you basically have homes for things but you've let swap supplies and bags of new stuff pile up? Do you have storage options, but you've mixed stuff together, and now you can't find anything (looks neat but is basically unorganized)? Or do you need a complete overhaul?

2. What are your dreams for your space? I'm not sure how many showplaces are in our future, but do you want a place that is a functional work space, or do you just want it to not look like a bomb went off all the time?

3. What are your biggest "problem" areas? I can't find _____ , _____ is everywhere etc.

4. What *is* working for you?

Week 0 - We are doing what Wookiemouse called a "Space Audit." She suggests doing a layout, and take notes while doing so. Did you find the pictures you wanted easily, paper, embellishments etc? And do that for all the supplies that you used on your layout. If you are working on swap stuff, you could do the same thing.

http://wookiemouse.blogspot.com/2009/05/organization-challenge-week-one-space.html

Basically, where are you starting from, and where do you want to end up?

Oh yeah!

I am starting from cardboard boxes. We are in an apartment now with (oh hopefully please keep your fingers crossed) house construction will begin around March 1st.

So I want to find a spot in this 1000 sq ft to work on projects. AND I want to be forward thinking so I can design my scrapping space in the new craft room in the new house.

There is an office downstairs like a completely separate room with a big desk in it. We had our "home office" set up down there but since the PC crashed during the last power outage....I am thinking to take the whole PC to the e-recycling place and taking over the desk!!

Does anyone have success storing embellishments, etc in the photo boxes say from Michaels? Was thinking this may be an inexpensive way to organize a little bit.

Very cool start Hope! I really need to audit my space.

1. I need a complete over haul.

2. I really want a functional space but could live with it not looking like a tornado hit.

3. biggest problems - not the right kind of furniture. It's dining room furniture from the 50's. It's just not functional. And the room is a catch all for the rest of the house. Can't find a home for it? Stick it in the dining room I'll deal with it later.
I can't find the right kind of display/storage for embellishments. Paper things are fine in the binders, I need stuff for the more bulky items.

4. What is working - my paper storage is just about spot on. I just need more space for paper companys, like CM, Basic Grey etc.

I can lay my hands on everything but embellishments. They need to be corralled but I have run out of room/storage boxes/etc to sort. the table is so covered with crap I can't sort either.

I really like the scrap rack system but where the heck would I store it.

Off to take pics of my space so you can see what I'm dealing with.

Well I am away until next wed but I know that I had a good home fore most things last spring when we last organized things.

1. I really need a good system for putting things away when I finish a project I have tried a few things but so far they haven't worked for me.

2. I need a place to store new things as I find them homes (actually I need to not buy new things).

3. I need to work on getting pages into albums- I have over 200 pages sitting around my room waiting to go into albums- I need a better system for doing this.

4. I need a better system for sorting photos that are printed before I actually scrap them.

My embellishments are well sorted and I have a new container I like for new small ones as well as room for more inks and stamps (the main thing I have bought lately. I like my sticker storage I have used them so much more since I started it last year but I am out of room in it so I need to use things up and not buy more for the time being. I like my paper storage and just got some new shelves for more that give me room for some new things.

I will look at more things when I get home.

Rebecca

Myproblem is I have a tiny corner of the dining room and more supplies than comfortably fit in. I also start off tidy but it soon gets out of hand:rolleyes1 All my patterned paper (sheets) is in CM paper folders mostly by manufacturer, some by theme (flowers, geometric) where I only have one or two pieces or don't know the mnfr, and all the pads are in priority boxes, but I feel I have to look through everything every time I do a page and tend to use swap stuff instead as its already co-ordinated. So the paper piles up (because of course I need it anyway for swaps;)). And other embellishments are scattered in totes, some I know where they are but they are a bit of a heap. And my punches are in a number of make-up bags (the sort you get free with 2 purchases from Clinique etc.) but I often can't be bothered to pull them out to use them.
Oh, and my albums have filled the alocated shelf, and the overflow cupboard, and the floor under the overflow - HELP!!!

I need a way to organize current projects I am working on and a way to keep my desk clear of extra things that end up on it making it a mountain I can't possibly get any work done on.

I have plenty of paper storage and ribbon storage, but my workspace itself needs some addressing.

Hope
can you convince the husband to make the addition 2 stories? So I can have a whole room. My biggest issue is space. Right now it's the office/guest room/sewing/scrap area. Most things are organized fine. Paper, Punches and embleishments are all okay. Pictures are alright not great. The live in photo boxes by the years till they get to the "year book". My Year book is a 12x12 album that i sort by child so basically I have one for each boy. These are my working pictures which is all I will have out.
I should probably adjust my ban to nothing !!! We are considering taking the futon out of the room and moving it to the playroom that would help some although I'd still need a chair up here for the laptop area.
Course all my extra supplies live under the futon in totes. Dusting is not my thing and it is a farm house on a dirt road so closed storage is a must.

I don't have a dedicated space. That's my main issue. We either need to sell this house and buy a much bigger one, or do an addition, neither of which is a good idea in this economy.

My biggest problem will be solved the end of August.. Kicking one off to college and I get my own room!!! Yeah!

I don't have a space either. It's all downstairs and it's a pit
down there. I'm trying to make it nice but have not even
had a chance.

Mr. Crockett said maybe if I stopped buying five buck albums
and other stuff and stayed home maybe I could organize it!!

Mr. Crockett said maybe if I stopped buying five buck albums
and other stuff and stayed home maybe I could organize it!!

Yeah, I got one of those helpful DHs at my house too...

Just do what you can, and as for the stay home stuff, you would gladly quit your job to be a SAH Mom right? That one always shuts up my DH ;)

took pics of my space but I need to charge the battery before I post them.

Also did a grid layout of the room with the current furniture. My biggest problem is the fact that the furniture is not functional in the least but I can't convince DH to get rid of it. It was his grandparents who purchased it when MIL married her first husband. They had the reception at home.

I will be curious to see what you have. Can you repurpose pieces? So instead of having all the Dining room pieces in the dining room, could you move something to the living room, a bedroom, etc.

I need to figure out a better way of organizing my cardstock and patterned papers. I have all of my Kits together (like BG archaic is in one bins with all the coordinating papers and ribbons and embellishments), but random things are just hap harzardly stored...

I will be curious to see what you have. Can you repurpose pieces? So instead of having all the Dining room pieces in the dining room, could you move something to the living room, a bedroom, etc.

no room to move things into other places. This house is soooo small!! DH, DD and myself in one bedroom. DSx3 in the other bedroom with 2 sets of bunks, 2 dressers, and 2 bookcases (using as much vertical space as I can).

Living room, kitchen, dining room. That's it. And one bathroom which is upstairs.

Going to charge the battery right now. I'll snap some pics of the actual furniture too and describe what's housed there.

I think my biggest issue- I can't decide what works best for me lol. If I store all of the paper together, all the embellishments together, etc. Then I forget what I have that I originally planned to use together. If I store it all kitted- which was my intent- then I have too many piles to contend with, and too much random stuff!
My other issue-procrastination! So, thanks for this thread!

trying to upload pics but my internet is running so slowly today!! Will add pics as they upload.

gridded layout of the room. Things are not in the exact space, but close.

DSC_0237.jpg

View 1 from A (doorway in front of house)
DSC_0225.jpg

View 2 from A
DSC_0226.jpg

View 3 from B
DSC_0226.jpg

View 4 from C
DSC_0228.jpg

View 5 from D (swinging door)
DSC_0229.jpg

Sewing table, MIL's repurposed for flock, flowers (some) and flower soft. to the left of the swinging door, under the thermostat.
DSC_0230.jpg

buffet - top drawer has cricut carts and plugs. right top drawer has pens, pencils, and notepads for the kids to access. middle drawer has over sized photos from Grandparents and MIL. bottom drawer has linens for dining room. left size door has MIL and FIL memorabilia as well as friends wedding pics (she is divorced, I took the pics to do albums for her girls). bottom right door has jars with flowers, yarn and other doo dads. bottom shelf in there has kids art supplies.
DSC_0231.jpg

corner cabinet - top and bottom have collectibles and rarely used bowls, lanterns etc. (not a movable cabinet)
DSC_0232.jpg

book case behind swinging door, to the left of the corner cabinet- from top to bottom - embellies like brads, buttons, eyelets, 8x8 paper; scrap paper (divided by ROY G BIV, patterned, disney) and 81/2 x11 full sheets; boxes have chipboard letters, autographs from WDW, ribbon, fiber, vintage embellies, and something else (can't remember); disney embellies in binders sorted by park and land; bottom which you can't see has paper (sorted by ROY G BIV, patterned, seasonal, disney)
DSC_0234.jpg

china cabinet - holds collectibles and china from MIL - to the right of the corner cabinet on the other side of the window.
DSC_0235.jpg

scrap storage - right of the cabinet, left of the window - paper covered drawers hold stamps, stamp pads, inks etc. big drawers hold pics to be kitted, completed pages waiting for pics, finished pages awaiting albums, ziploc bags, kitted pages that are not next in the batters box to be done.
DSC_0236.jpg

Does the dining room ever have to function as a dining room?

On the grid, you list a clock, is that like a floor standing clock? What is the Sizzix sitting on?

When I designed my scrap room, I took measurements of everything. Furniture, width of windows, width of walls between windows, etc. And then used my Paint Shop Pro to place everything. I'd be happy to do that with your room, if you wanted to take the time to get the measurements.

My initial thought, is if you could move the buffet off the one wall, you could put bookshelves on that wall for lots of storage. My first thought, would be to move it to the wall with the double windows, which is why I asked if that was a floor standing clock. Although, if you move the bookcase you already have to the former buffet wall, you could move a clock there. And then the sewing table, maybe to the right of the corner cabinet. But without knowing how large things are, it's kind of hard to say.

But from your layout it looks like you have space in front of windows (maybe?), don't be afraid to put things in front of them, if they aren't too tall, even if they block somewhat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts