• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official Camping Recipe Thread!

:santa: Merry Christmas Recipe

1/2 cup Hugs

4 teaspoons Kisses

4 cups Love

1 cup Special Holiday Cheer

3 teaspoons Christmas Spirits

2 cups Goodwill Toward Man

1 Sprig of Mistletoe

1 medium-size bag of Christmas Snowflakes (the regular kind won't do !)

Directions:

Mix hugs, kisses, smiles and love until consistent.

Blend in holiday cheer, peace on earth, Christmas spirits and good will toward men.

Use the mixture to fill a large, warm heart, where it can be stored for a lifetime, (it never goes bad !).

Serve as desired under mistletoe, sprinkled liberally with special Christmas Snowflakes.

It is especially good when accompanied by Christmas Songs and family get-togethers.

Serve to one and all .:santa:

Here is a quick meal idea and kinda cool as well...learned it at cubs with my son.

1 personal size bag of Doritos
diced tomatoes
diced green peppers
favorite salsa
sour cream
cooked hamburger meat

Take the bag of Doritos and open it....squish the bag till the Doritos are all broken into small pieces.

Add the tomatoes, green peppers, salsa, hamburger, and sour cream RIGHT INTO THE BAG OF DORITOS!! popcorn::

NACHO'S IN A BAG....ITS WICKED

This recipe started out as so much more but here ya go.....

Boil in large pot 6 cups of water

Chop 1 box of red link smoke sausage
(my family likes them kinds thick but any with would do )

Sauté in pan with Worcestershire sauce till light brown

Add three cups of rice and sausage to pot of water

add salt to taste

Cover until rice is done..

Family really loves this and it is simple to make.When my mother used to make this she would also put chopped red and yellow bell peppers, onions and also one can of cream of mushroom soup. But my family is full of picky eaters that it has turned into rice and sausage.

vegetable bean dip

1 can blackeyed peas
1 can pinto beans
1 can black beans
1 can white shoepeg corn - I use whatever yellow or white

Add:
1 small jar pimento, diced and drained
1 medium onion, diced
1 large green pepper, diced
(may use yellow or red for color and flavor)
1 cup celery, diced

Bring the following to a boil and add to the above ingredients:
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 Tbls. water
3/4 c cider vinegar
1/2 c vegetable oil
1 c sugar

Refrigerate and drain before serving.
Serve with Tostitos or Fritos Scoops.
If made a day ahead of time it is best.
ENJOY!

Thanks to Lynn for the recipe

Planning a short camping trip with family.. wanted something with wow factor to use with our pie irons. Searching lots of sites for ideas.

On several sites, perhaps even in this thread, I read about making "doughnuts" out of refrigerator canned biscuit dough. Tried them out tonight at home in my cast iron fry pan, using shortening and cheap biscuit dough.

OMGOSH! Yum! :love:

Such a simple easy treat to make my family smile.
We decided "balls" were better than "doughnut" shaped.
Cut biscuits in half (or quarters if you want smaller), roll the dough in your hands to make into a tidy ball. Fry in at least 1/4 inch oil. It puffs slightly, flip over with tongs.. they cook quickly so keep a close watch to prevent burning. Roll (or toss in a bag) in cinnamon sugar.

One can of dough quickly disappeared for my family of four (with two teen boys.. more like family of 6!).

I love the donut idea!!!

At a Pampered Chef party I went to, the host made something similar using the canned dinner rolls which she cut them in half. In a skillet (that can go in the oven), she melted some butter, sauteed garlic the added the biscuit pieces, tossed them around in the butter and garlic and sprinkled with an italian seasoning mix and then popped them in the oven until they were golden brown. SOOO yummy!!!

4 Beers
1 Pack Hogie rolls
1 large onion
Spicy Mustard
1 pack Frozen Johnsonville Bratwurst ( I prefer the uncooked ones)
Pour the beers in a pot and start to heat. Cut onion in to quartes and place in the pot. Add the Brats and cook until they are cooked through. While the brats are cooking fire up the grill. when the brats are done in the beer bath place them on the grill and grill 4-5 minutes a side. Serve them up on a bun with the mustard and some of the onion from the beer bath.

4 Beers
1 Pack Hogie rolls
1 large onion
Spicy Mustard
1 pack Frozen Johnsonville Bratwurst ( I prefer the uncooked ones)
Pour the beers in a pot and start to heat. Cut onion in to quartes and place in the pot. Add the Brats and cook until they are cooked through. While the brats are cooking fire up the grill. when the brats are done in the beer bath place them on the grill and grill 4-5 minutes a side. Serve them up on a bun with the mustard and some of the onion from the beer bath.

Don't forget the extra beer to drink while you are cooking the brats!

The complete dinner.
sardines inna pull top can
and a twist top beer.

no fuss, no mess, and neither has to be cooked.

course that was a recipe from my bachelor dayz.
then again, doing the laundry in them dayz meant you took a shower with your clothes on.

We cook loaded baked potato everytime we camp. We just coat the potato with olive oil (or butter) sprinkle of salt.. double wrap in aluminum foil and put directly on coals and cover with coals. In about 35 minutes you have perfectly "baked" potatoes. Just load with whatever... The skins get nice and crisp with the oil/salt coating so they are actually the best part. This is perfect for those campgrounds with no electricity. We camp at a lot of state parks... and none have electricity that we've been to.

Three of our favorite crock pot dinners and one dessert

Stupid Chicken

Place 4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts in crockpot, sprinkile with 1 pkg dry onion soup mix and 2 cans of italian style stewed tomatos. Let cook on low for 6-8 hours. Spoon over cooked egg noodles or rice. (I like the precooked 90 seconds in the nuker rice) Yummy and sticks to your ribs.

BBQ Pulled Pork

Place one 2lb pork tenderloin in crockpot on top of a thinly sliced onion. Sprinkle with Essence of Emeril. Pour one can of beer over the mess and let cook for 6-8 hours on low. Pull the tenderloin apart with two forks and pour in 1/2 cup of your favorite bbq sauce and serve on buns. You can also eliminate the bbq sauce and add one dry package of taco seasoning and serve in flour tortillas as carnitas.

Barbacoa Tacos

Place one boneless beef or shoulder roast in crockpot and sprinkle generously with Cavender's Greek Seasoning (on the ***** aisle in a yellow can) Let cook on low for 6-8 hours. Shred beef when tender with two forks and add in 1/2 cup salsa (we like Pace hot) and 2 tsp of cumin.

Serve in flour tortillas with shredded lettuce (the stuff in the bag works great) chopped tomato and shredded cheese.

Crockpot Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Bars

Pat one boxed lemon cake in bottom of large oval crockpot. Drizzle with one stick melted butter or margarine. Cover with one can of blueberry pie filling or 2 pints of freshblue berries mixed with 1/2 cup granulated sugar. Drop two softened blocks of cream cheese in a gallon ziplock and add one box of powdered sugar and two tsp of vanilla. Mush to mix then cut off one corner of the bag and pipe dollops on top of the lemon cake/bluebery mixture. Sprinkle with sliced almonds if desired. Place top on the crockpot (or dutch oven) and cook on high for 2-3 hours or place on coals with coals on top of 60-90 minutes. In the crockpot it's easier to slice these into bars once they cool. In the dutch oven serve it like a spoon bread or cobbler while warm and enjoy.

Wow, I had no idea I could do so many desserts in the crockpot. Cool! :woohoo: Although I think the majority of the time it will be cooking my meals while there, but on steak night, we can definitely give it a try! Thanks! :worship:

Lots of good recipes on this thread. Saw lots of roasts, noodle dishes, etc., but wanted to add one of our favorites.

Salmon fillet (or your favorite fish, marinated in Soyaki (from Trader Joe's- or use your favorite marinade) which I freeze in a vacuum sealed ziploc. I go ahead and clean, cut up and prepare bok choy, bean sprouts, a variety of shrooms and maybe some water chestnuts or other stir fry add ins and put that in an vacuum sealed bag for freshness the day before we leave. When we cook it at the campsite, the salmon (which is usually the first meal that defrosts) goes in a foil wrap on the grill, the veggies get stir fried on the grill wok and I make coconut rice on the cookstove (pre-measured jasmine rice in ziploc bag so I don't have to worry about measuring cups or the whole box taking up space). Yummy, easy, eating within 30 minutes. :)

OMG! Nature Mom, that recipe sounds uber-yummy!!! I'm subbing to this thread, for sure!!!:thumbsup2

Thanks hotmama! I have a ton of recipes. I don't want the kids to think they are missing out on the 'fancy' meals in the restaurant, kwim? Plus, my DH LOVES to cook (wishes he was a chef!) and has really helped me get organized in the kitchen to the point that I now have every meal semi-prepared, (frozen if needed) and sorted by each day before we ever leave on the trip (he's not coming this trip, so food duties fall all on me). It makes it so much easier and makes it where it doesn't seem like all I do when camping is cook, clean up and then cook again (which is how I used to do it :scared1:). I like this organized way better and I love being able to crock cook while in the parks all day. Kudos for my DH . :worship: He rocks in the kitchen and really taught me much. (although that has made us kinda food snobs and now we hate spending money on going out to dinner when he can cook it just as good, if not better at home. lol) :rolleyes1

Crockpot Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Bars

Pat one boxed lemon cake in bottom of large oval crockpot. Drizzle with one stick melted butter or margarine. Cover with one can of blueberry pie filling or 2 pints of freshblue berries mixed with 1/2 cup granulated sugar. Drop two softened blocks of cream cheese in a gallon ziplock and add one box of powdered sugar and two tsp of vanilla. Mush to mix then cut off one corner of the bag and pipe dollops on top of the lemon cake/bluebery mixture. Sprinkle with sliced almonds if desired. Place top on the crockpot (or dutch oven) and cook on high for 2-3 hours or place on coals with coals on top of 60-90 minutes. In the crockpot it's easier to slice these into bars once they cool. In the dutch oven serve it like a spoon bread or cobbler while warm and enjoy.

I will be definitely trying this one. I may try it this weekend, YUM! :worship:

Oh, BTW, I am Dawn too and wanted to name my first DD Aurora, although my ex-H (no D in that one, lol) said NO. :confused3 I am hoping that my first granddaughter will be given this name, although that can wait a while (a LONG while, lol). Aurora is Dawn's first light. Don't you just love that?! (SORRY: I know... :offtopic:) Forgive, please? :littleangel:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter