Official Camping Recipe Thread!

We bring homemade sandwich spread camping
bolonga ground
sweet relish
Mayo

I decided to check out random pages and came across this recipe that reminds me of when I was little. Mother made it all the time and called it Ham Salad. She used Miracle Whip instead of mayonaise. I still make it once in a while. It's especially good on toast with lettuce and additional Miracle Whip. Ah, comfort food!!

I have been reading and lurking around the camping board and this thread for a few weeks and I just wanted to add that these recipes sound awesome and most of them seems fairly easy to prep and cook.

I also wanted to add so others may benefit is The Fix it and Forget it cook book, I saw it at Walmart last week and it is great, there are tons of recipes all made in the crock pot. Hope you find this helpful.

As for my camping recipes, so far we haven't ventured past hamburgers/ hot dogs and sandwiches yet but our trips have only been 1-2 nights, we are planning a trip again and I am looking outside the buns so to speak. I've really enjoyed reading your recipes and posts about camping. Thanks!

Kim

My most simple Vietnamese recipe is for chicken congee (rice porridge).

Take one or two cooked pieces of chicken breast and shred in the bottom of a crock pot. Add six cups of chicken broth and two cups of uncooked rice. Add salt, pepper, and diced green onions to taste. You can add sliced bamboo shoots if you like. Turn crock pot on low in the morning. It's ready that evening for supper. Just stir and serve.

One treat we had growing up was to roast calamari jerky over an open fire. Once it's toasted, just eat it plain. Another simple treat was toasting rice paper over an open fire. Take a sheet of rice paper and put it over a fire until it puffs up, being careful not to set it on fire.

A big hit in my family is grilled, garlic shrimp kabobs. Skewer shelled tiger prawns on a bamboo skewer. Brush with olive oil and season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Grill until pink. Serve shrimp skewer with a bowl of rice and soy sauce. You can use any kind of meat with this dish (chicken, pork, beef, etc). If you like it spicy, you can add a few drops of sarrachi chili sauce to the olive oil.

My personal favorite is shrimp spring rolls. Cook vermicelli rice noodles until al dente. Dip a sheet of rice paper in water. Place on a plate and wait a few seconds for it to soften. Place a leaf of crisp lettuce on the rice paper, making sure the lettuce is smaller than the rice paper. Place a little bit of noodles in a cigar shaped roll in the center. Add peeled, sliced, and Juliened cucumber, fresh torn cilantro leaves, and fresh torn mint leaves. Fold in the sides of the rice paper and roll. The moist rice paper will stick to itself to seal the roll. Slice into one inch sections. Serve with soy sauce, fish sauce, peanut sauce, or chili sauce. Like with most other Vietnamese recipes, you can use any kind of meat you like. It just needs to be shredded meat. If you use beef or pork, it is customary to sprinkle it lightly with crushed, roasted peanuts to balance the flavor. It makes a great, cool lunch for hot days.

I could write all day about Vietnamese food, but I'll try to stop here. Don't even get me started about the huge variety and subtle variations of Vietnamese sandwiches.

I just found this,,, sounds yummy Peanut butter and jelly pie

Ingredients

1 (8-oz) package cream cheese
1 (12-oz) container frozen whipped topping (about 4 1/2 cups, divided)
1/3 cup grape jelly
1/3 cup + 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk, divided
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 prepared graham cracker or cookie crumb pie crust

Prep

* Let cream cheese and whipped topping stand at room temperature to soften.
* Whisk jelly to make it smooth and pourable.

Steps

Active Time: 20 minutes, Total Time: up to 2 hours (Makes 8 servings.)

1. Whisk together 1/3 cup condensed milk and 1 1/2 cups of the whipped topping until smooth; set aside.
2. Combine cream cheese, peanut butter, and remaining 1/2 cup condensed milk in bowl of electric mixer; mix with paddle attachment until smooth. Add sugar and mix until blended.
3. Fold in remaining 3 cups whipped topping, using a rubber spatula, until well blended. Pour one-half of this mixture into pie crust.
4. Pour jelly evenly over peanut butter mixture, then pour milk mixture over jelly. Top with remaining half of peanut butter mixture. Refrigerate (or freeze) 1–2 hours or until pie has set. Serve.

I don't know if this is already posted, but kids really enjoy it. And like it very cheesy....DH and older boys like it meaty.

Favorite Spagetti Sauce (I like Prego)
Lasagna Noodles
Rigotta Cheese (I usually get the big size and use about 3/4 to just about all)
Bagged Shredded Mozarella (Or Italian Blend) I usually get two 2 cup bags and use 1/2 the second bag as the topping
Grated Parm

Pour enough sauce in the bottom of the crockpot to coat.
Break up Lasagna noodles to fit and cover bottom of crockpot in 1 layer.
Mix together rigotta, mozarella and a hand full or so of parm cheese. reserving some of the mozarella.
smooth out a layer of the cheese mixture on first layer of noodles.
cover with sauce
repeat---noodles---cheese---sauce
then for the top, just noodles then a good layer of sauce.
cook on low 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 hours.
remove lid
sprinkle top with a good layer of the remaining mozarella cheese
cook for an additional 1/2 hour or until cheese is melted

DISH UP...

If you want you can also brown some meat (I prefer ground sweet italian sausage) and add the sauce to it and then use this mixture for the sauce layer.

Oh what wonderful ideas! I never thought about a crock pot for the pop-up! :flower1: We thought that a microwave was what we needed, but its not been as useful as a crock pot will be ! I'm subscribing to this thread, so I can start "cutting and pasting" all these great recipes for my own personal "Camping CookBook" for the part of the trip we're not on the DDP! :thanks:

I just spent an enjoyable hour reading, and copying recipes into a document. Thanks to all.

Here's one I tried last summer and love:

Cut a banana in half. Cut bacon slices in half. Put the banana on a standard camping fork and wrap the bacon around it. You may want to use a toothpick to hold the bacon on. Grill it over low heat.

This one is really weird, and calls for a huge leap of faith.
Ingredients:
1 roast, the best one is shaped like a box, flat and not too irregular.
Yellow mustard
Salt-lots and lots.

Make a hot charcoal fire. Put the roast on a plate, and "frost" it like it's a cake with the yellow mustard. Then pack it with salt. Keep pouring salt on until it won't absorb any more. Do the top and the sides. Then, flip it directly on the coals, no grill or anything between the meat and the charcoal.

Now, the bottom of the roast is on top and exposed. Spread mustard and salt on it. This part is hard, because the fire is hot! Do the best you can. Basically you want to seal the meat in a salt and mustard crust.

Grill the roast for an hour, untouched. Don't cover it with coals. Flip it and roast for another 45 min. to an hour. When the meat is done, the baked-on salt and mustard crust will just brush off, and DO NOT EAT THE CRUST!! , Brush off any crust and eat only the delicious meat.

This recipe has served me well for over 20 years. It always attracts attention.

Anyone have vegetarian recipes?

Here's a fun way to boil an egg over a fire: take a PAPER cup, and fill about 1/2 with water. DO NOT USE A STYROFOAM CUP!!

Drop the egg in the cup. Very carefully place the cup on the fire so that it won't spill. You can place it directly on the coals. The top of the cup may burn away, but it won't burn below the water line. The egg will cook in the water!

I plan to make these for our trip to Disney after I find some Disney cookiecutters.If you do not have cookie cutters you can make rounds, squares or triangles easy enough.

Any dough like product such as bread, biscut, phillo, pie crust, egg roll or wrapper.(Must be firm enough to hold the shape of a cookie cutter through cutting and cooking)I use an assortment each time.

Assorted fillings for your doughs.Sweet and savory.Think pie filling or hot pockets.

I cut dough of my choice with cookie cutters,you need a top and bottem crust for each.Depending on the size of you cookie cutter will effect how much filling you can add.

My kids like phillo dough with pie fillings, biscut dough with spinach and cheese, bread dough with sloppy joe filling or mashed potato, veg and meat, pie crust with brown sugar and cinnamon or crushed candy bars, egg rolls with cabbage and rice,pizza dough filled with you fave toppings,sugar cookie dough filled with crushed candy bar or frosting and nuts, lumpia wrappers with cheese and tortillas(start with uncooked tortillas) with bean and cheese.

Sandwhich the layers bottem filling top then crimp the edges and bake till about 3/4 of the way done. Freeze then reheat as a quick meal.All of one shape is a flavor or different sizes of a shape are different flavors.

They can be reheated in foil in the campfire or toaster oven(normal toaster if they did not leak in the first 3/4s of cooking.

Can you use a Dutch oven (like the Boy Scouts do) at FW?

If so, that opens up a whole new world.

I believe those are used in fire pits and FW does not allow open fires at the sites. sorry

They do allow charcoal fires in grills, right ? That will work fine if the grills are large enough to set the dutch oven on and then cover with hot coals.

They do allow charcoal fires in grills, right ? That will work fine if the grills are large enough to set the dutch oven on and then cover with hot coals.

Yes, there are grills at each site, but they are not big enough for what you're proposing.

5033662704_29ff3285ca_z.jpg

Various, simple fish recipes

Hillbilly Fish Wrap

This recipe uses Gardetto's Snack Mix .
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Ingredients:

* fresh catch of the day
* Gardetto's snack mix
* salt and pepper
* salad dressing

Preparation:
Clean and gut fish. Remove head, fins and tail, but leave body intact. Lightly season fish as desired (butter, Italian dressing, or basil/dill are great). Stuff Gardetto's into body cavity of fish, wrap with foil and cook on medium heat until done. Gardetto's turns into a spiced stuffing mix.

Daddy's Fish

A camping recipe from Betty. My Daddy was a fisherman, and he knew just how to fry them. He told me his secret was to make sure the oil is hot, but not so hot it will burn the corn meal before the fish gets done.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients:

* fish
* salt
* corn meal
* cooking oil

Preparation:
Salt the fish generously and dredge in the corn meal. Fry until done. Brown one side real good, and then turn them over. Don't turn them but one time. After you turn them, brown the other side good. When they float to the top, they're done.

Crispy Shore Lunch

A camping recipe from Happy Camper. This recipe came to us when we were out camping one summer and none of us even thought about bringing a fish batter. The recipe turned out great!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients:

* fish fillets
* oil
* 1 bag of salt and vinegar chips
* beer (any good Canadian beer)

Preparation:
Soak fish in beer. Crush the salt and vinegar chips. Coat the beer soaked fish with the crushed salt and vinegar chips. Deep fry in very hot oil until the fish becomes a golden color.

Grilled Rainbow Trout

camping recipe from Reba. This is our son's favorite camping recipe. He usually eats 2-3 trout at one meal. If we all catch our limit, we usually have other campers who are happy to join us for a meal. Hope you like it.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Ingredients:

* 6 fresh rainbow trout
* 6 or more slices bacon
* 1 or 2 large onions, chopped
* lemon pepper seasoning
* 1 lemon, quartered

Preparation:
Clean the fish by gutting it and cutting off it's head. Wash really well. Pat dry with paper towels. For each fish: Sprinkle insides with seasoning and stuff with onion. Then spray outside of fish with Pam, sprinkle outside of skin with seasonings, and wrap each fish with 1-2 bacon slices, depending on size of fish. Place each fish on a piece of foil that has been sprayed with Pam. Wrap well and place on hot grill for 10-15 minutes or longer, depending on size of fish. You can also place in the coals of fire, but it may cook quicker. When done, open carefully and enjoy. Some fresh slaw or salad and a skillet of fried potatoes really top off this great recipe.

Samore - Italian smores

You will need:
1 ziplock bag
1 jar nutella (chocolate hazelnut spread located near the peanut butter in most grocery stores)
1 bag marshmallows
loaf french bread cut into 1 inch rounds
olive oil
coarse sea salt - do not use fine table salt or these will be yucky

Before going to campfire:
Place bread pieces in ziplock with handful of salt - drizzle olive oil over bread and shake to coat.

At campfire:
Skewer bread and marshmallow onto stick leaving space between.

Toast over hot coals

When marshamallow is almost done remove from fire and leaving everything on the stick spread bread with the Nutella. Return to fire until marshmallow is a lovely carmelized brown. When you pull the bread up the tick it will smear into the melted marshmallow.

Enjoy this salty sweet snack and you will never ever think of smores the same way again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter