Official Camping Recipe Thread!

Singing Apples

# Ingredients: apples
# cinnamon sugar

Directions: Spear a Macintosh apple on a strong stick. Cook apple over hot coals until skin is burned and the apple "sings."
Remove from fire and carefully peel off cooked skin.
Roll apple in cinnamon sugar and eat-- . careful it may be hot

Kids Recipe

Nutty Monkey Fruit Salad

Ingredients
Apples
Oranges
Bananas
Shredded coconut
Grapes

Cut the apples, oranges, and bananas into bite-sized pieces. Peel the apples if you like and discard the cores and other tough areas. Combine in a large bowl. Add the grapes and stir in 1/4 to a 1/2 cup of shredded coconut.

I love fried dill pickles,,heres a recipe.
We do this recipe and they are really good.

Ingredients
1 pint sliced dill pickles, undrained
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, plus 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons ground red pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
Vegetable oil
Directions
Drain pickles, reserving 2/3-cup pickle juice. Press pickles between paper towels. Combine 2/3 cup pickle juice, egg, 1 tablespoon flour, and hot sauce. Stir well and set aside.

Combine 1 1/2 cups flour with ground red pepper, garlic powder, salt, and paprika. Blend well. Dip pickles in egg mixture, then dredge in flour mixture. Fry coated pickles in 375-degree oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

Easy Made Donuts

Pack of Pop'n Fresh Buttermilk biscuits (use any biscuts of your liking, we like buttermilk)
Fresh veggie oil
Bag of Powered Sugar
Fry or sauce pan
small mix bowl

Put bout 2-3 cups powdered sugar in mixing bowl, add water slowly and stir til sugar is a thick, sticky, liquid.
Pop open the biscuts. Separate the biscuits, use your fingers to punch a hole in the center of biscuit, pulling stretching and rounding out the hole in the biscuit til it looks like a raw donut.(the children may want to help with this part)
Put about 1/2 " oil in pan and heat to about 350 - 375 degrees, or a med.-med.high heat.
Add donut to the oil and cook on one side til golden brown, then use tongs or fork to flip donut over, again cook til golden brown.
Remove donut from oil.
At this time you can either dip donut straight into the sugar mix (both sides) and lay on plate to cool
OR
you can set donut on plate to semi-cool and then dip into sugar mix.

Which ever way you dip,,EAT"EM WHILE STILL WARM!

Green Fried Tomatos,,one of my favorite foods !
,,,what you need.

3-4 Green tomatos, med. in size
2 cups cornmeal
1 cup flour, all purpose
3 tbs. salt
2 tbs. pepper
cooking oil
2 cups milk in a small bowl
Thousand Island Dressing

Mix the cornmeal, flour, salt and pepper together in a small mixing bowl.
Slice the tomatos a little thicker than you would slice tomatos for a sandwich. i like my green tomatos on the thick side.
Put about a 1/2 inch of oil in a deep fry pan and heat oil to aboput 375 degrees.
If you have a deep fryer,,that works even better.
When the oil is ready,,roll the tomato slices in the flour mix,, then dip the floured tomato into the milk,, and then roll the tomato slice back into the flour mix again,,now lay the tomato slice into the hot oil.
Be careful,,this tends to splatter.
When the tomato has turned a slightly dark golden brown,,flip the tomato over.
When both sides are browned, it's ready to eat. Remove from oil and set on paper towel to drain for a minute.

Serve with Thousand Island as a dip. Mmmmmm!!!

You mat want to add more salt n pepper to taste.

I've been sitting here reading all these recipes and now I'm starving and gotta go cook some dinner! LOL

This recipe can be adjusted to fit any size family, and its super easy to assemble ahead of time. For 1 serving (each person) you'll need:

1/4 to 1/3 lb ground beef
1 small potato
1 serving frozen vegetable of choice (our fave is mixed veggies)

You'll also need:

A LOT of foil
1-2 packets onion soup mix (crushed in pkg)
favorite seasonings (Everglades is ours)

Patty up ground beef into 1/4 to 1/3 lb patties. Cube potatoes to 1/4 to 1/2". Using a large foil square, place patty in center. Surround with potatoes. Top with veggies. Sprinkle some onion soup mix and spices over top. bring in corners to make a packet. Flip onto another square and wrap again (they get pretty juicy). Place in hot coals for 20-30 mins or so. Can also be done on the grill, for about 40-45 mins. Let stand 5-10 mins before cutting open, and be careful! If you cut lengthwise across the top and open, you can use the foil as a serving dish. The only thing you'll be washing is the forks! To prepare ahead, freeze in packets in zipbags or container, thaw before cooking. Hope you enjoy!!

I love all of these ideas!!!

Im IN!!!

I love to put a whole chicken into the slow cooker frozen and then cook it on high for 10-12 hours. add water a couple glasses and then sprinkle with poultry seasoning. Turns out so moist and delish!!!

OK, this is cooking *my* way! You need 3 things....

A whole pork tenderloin
a can of cranberry sauce (any kind)
an envelope of onion soup mix (any kind)

plop it all in the crockpot, cook it till you can't stand the smell any longer..... we eat it sliced one night, and shredded on sammies the next night. Yum-O!~!

I make this about once a week. It's CRAZY good. I stir a little flour and water into the drippings for gravy.

I make this about once a week. It's CRAZY good. I stir a little flour and water into the drippings for gravy.

Excellent addition - I was truly hesitant to try this just by reading it ages ago, but I got really brave and tried it.

Also, about the "frozen chicken in crock pot" idea - there's something tickling around in the back of my brain that this doesn't come to a safe temperature quickly enough to be completely safe.... especially with poultry. Can't quite pull out the specifics right now, but it's a strong enough tickle that I would never try it - it might work for some, but to me, it's simply not worth the risk. *shrug*

Love the three ingredient pork tenderloin, though - it's sooo yummy!!

We love to camp and we love our sweets but we get tired of the banana boats and s'mores all the time. So we pull out the crockpot and with 3-5 ingredients have amazing dessert. You can also use a dutch oven over coals. If you do this line your dutch oven with aluminum foil for quick clean up!

We make something called dump cake. The premise is a box of cake mix, filling, stick of butter/margarine and spices. Filling goes in the bottom, sprinkled with a box of cake mix, pour melted butter over that and sprinkle with spices.

Cherry Cordial/Black Forest dump cake is a can of cherry pie filling, box of devils food cake mix and stick of butter and a little cinnamon. Cook on low 4-6 hours

Tropical Delight is a can of pineapple tidbits(drained), can of cherry pie filling, box of coconut cake mix, stick of butter, sprinkle with coconut and cinnamon. Cook on low 4-6hrs.

Traditional Apple pie is a can of apple pie filling, box of spice cake mix and stick of butter. You can also use a yellow cake mix sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar.

Applesauce cake is a med-lrg jar of applesauce(chunky or smooth) and a box of spice cake mix, stick of butter.

Peanutbutter and fudge cake mix is so rich and gooey but yummy!

You can also mix pie fillings. Like cherry and apple. Blueberry and blackberry. Pineapple and cherry. Apple and cranberry. I use yellow or spice cake mixes with these.

I really hope you enjoy any or all of these!

Realize this is from 2007' but how long does this cook for? And i
s it on low?

Thanks!

Love this thread, I didnt read through them all, so if this is a repeat, I apologize... I have 2 easy recipes:

Beef and peppers

1.5-2lb stew meat
large bag frozen pepper and onion mix
2 cans tomato soup
envelope onion soup mix (optional)

Mix and Cook in crockpot on low for 6-8 hrs. Serve over rice (we like the 5 minute rice)

Sausage Pepper Onion Potato

1-2 lbs sweet italian sausage cut into bite size chunks
large bag (or 2 is even better) frozen pepper and onion strips
3 lbs potatoes cut into cubes/chunks

Layer potatoes on bottom, then sausage, then pepper/onion mix. Cook 6-8 hours on low in crockpot... Sooooo good!
:goodvibes

Reviving this thread!

Time to start menu planning for any summer camping weekends & my Oct Fort stay!

I'm hoping to stay relatively "On Plan", ie Weight Watchers, so I'll be seeing which recipes can be converted!

(I'm not using Points Plus, I'm on "Back to Momentum": ie, I've chosen to re-embrace the old Points plan)

I've been copying and pasting. Thanks for all the great recipes. DH doesn't eat red meat anymore and is a fat free eater also. This change has challenged my southern comfort food cooking. Bring on the recipes!

Shelly F - Ohio said:
Mexican Crockpot chicken

4 -5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans , drained
1 (15 ounce) can corn , drained
1 (15 ounce) jar salsa
4 ounces fat free cream cheese
4 ounces nonfat sour cream
Directions:
1 Place all ingredients except cream cheese and sour cream in crock pot.
2 Cook on low 6 hours or on high 4 hours.
3 Last 45 minutes add sour cream and cream cheese.

Poached this from another thread.

Poached this 1from the crockpot thread, they were having a hootenanny over it. Chicken n dumplings n camping.

"WeLuvDiznee"]Hey everyone! I have the recipe for the Chicken and Dumplings.

4 skinless/bonelness chicken breasts ( I used fresh,not frozen)
2 tablespoons of butter
2 10.75 oz cans condensed cream of chicken soup ( The recipe calls for 2, while it was cooking, I added another can for a total of 3)

1 Onion finely diced
2 10 oz packs of refrigerated biscuit dough
* You may add frozen peas or carrots

Spray crockpot with pam or use the Reynolds liners. Place chicken,butter,soupand onion in slow cooker with enough water to cover.Cover and cook on High for 5-6 hours.About 30 monutes before serving take biscuits and rip up into pieces and place in slow cooker.Cook until dough is no longer raw in middle.
****FYI I cooked this on low for 8-9 hours and added salt & pepper to taste. I also shredded the chicken before placing the biscuits in, when I placed the biscuits in the slow cooker, I was home and put the slow cooker back to high.

This was an excellent meal that had no leftovers!!!!"

I poached this one too from the DIS Crockpot thread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter