Official Camping Recipe Thread!

Rhonda

<marquee><font color=red>Quote of the Day: <font
Inspired by RescueRanger -- here is the "official" spot to post your favorite camping recipes!

I'll start:

Place a beef roast in the crockpot and pour a can of coke over it! Let it go all day, and it will be ready to eat plain or on buns at the end of a busy day at the parks! I like to add some sliced onion too!

We also have a roast recipe. We place carrots, potato slices, and onion slices in the bottom of the crockpot. We then place the roast ontop of these items. Pour a can of beef broth over the ingredients. Cook on low 8-10 hours.

This isn't a slow cooker recipe, but my family loves this... We usually cook with our little coleman stove- with a cast iron frypan-
Buy a box of *falafel mix*,I get it in the nature food section of my store, or international,- it's a dry mix in a box, you add about 1 cup water to it in a large ziploc, knead the dough, let it set for about 5 minutes to set up, while it's setting, heat up about 1/2 inch of oil in pan, then just scoop tablespoons into the oil, cook on each side, turning once for about 1- 2 minutes each, place on paper towels plate to drain and cool,and serve with slices of (our favorite) goat cheese- or you can use some mozzarella slices....
the whole batch takes about 10 -15 minutes, and it's our favorite tent camping food!(Along with good old hotdogs...)
Love this thread! :banana:

This is not a recipe but a suggestion. We just bought a Kitchen Kettle made by Presto. It is a 6 quart electric pot with a nonstick surface inside and out. It can be used to steam, boil, or fry. It comes with a steamer/fryer basket. We have been testing it out this past week and so far it works wonderfully. It only cost us $22.00 at Wal-Mart. We have made pasta, instant mashed potatos, and chili in it. So far so good. We haven't tried steaming or deep frying anything yet. It is easy to clean out with the nonstick surface which is a must in our popup camper. We highly recommend it. :teeth:

More suggestions here, mostly from my Mom whom I copy! We would always do some pre-cooking before camping and then there'd only be part of the meal to make which would be something fast. Like : 1) make meatballs & sauce at home, freeze them until that night, then just cook the pasta at the site & grab a loaf of french bread and dinner was done. Or 2) We would also do the same with the hamburger/spices/tomato sauce for American chop suey. And 3) cook cut up boneless chicken breast in gravy and freeze. Then we'd just make a couple boxes of stuffing mix and some vegetables and voila. :clown: Yum!

I make a doulble batch of taco meat. 1st night make tacos. Another night make taco salad.
Taco salad:
taco meat
lettuce
shredded cheese
black olives
crushed taco shells or nacho chips
sour cream
catalina dressing
chopped up tomatoes
thow it in a bowl mix and serve...
yummy yummy :goodvibes

Campers Beef Tip and Rice :

1 can cream of mushroom
1 can mushroom soup
3 and a half cups water
1 pkg. onion soup mix
1 lbs beef tips
rice

Mix soups and water. Place beef in slow cooker and pour mixture over beef. Cover and cook 6-8 hours. Add uncooked rice 45 min before serving, cook until rice is done ( 45 min. ). Enjoy! :banana:

Cheesy Slow-Cooked Chicken :

2 lbs. boneless chicken
2 ( 10 3/4 oz.) cans cream of chicken soup
1 ( 10 3/4/ oz. ) can of cheddar cheese soup
1 1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
uncooked egg-noodles

Place chicken in the slow cooker. Mix the undiluted soups together with the garlic powder and pour over chicken. Add the water, cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours until chicken is tender. Add uncooked egg-noodles to slow- cooker 30 min. before serving. Yields 8 servings :cloud9:

Cowboy Sausage and Campfire Beans :

1 lb Italian sausage
1 ( 14 oz. ) can crushed tomatoes
1 onion, finely chopped
1 T. brown sugar
1 tsp. mustard
salt and pepper to taste
1 ( 15 oz. ) can baked beans
1 ( 15 oz. ) can kidney beans
6 slices bacon

Dump everything into your slow-cooker, cook on low for 6-8 hours. Can be served with rice. Must be ate outside with a cowboy( if you have one) or by a campfire( not to close) them beans are mighty powerful. :rotfl2:

Rhonda said:
Inspired by RescueRanger -- here is the "official" spot to post your favorite camping recipes!

I'll start:

Place a beef roast in the crockpot and pour a can of coke over it! Let it go all day, and it will be ready to eat plain or on buns at the end of a busy day at the parks! I like to add some sliced onion too!
Also, try sprinkling a package of onion soup mix over with the coke and it will have an even better gravy.

This is a receipe that we look forward to and only prepare when camping.

Camp Fire Potatos

small red potatos
garlic salt
pepper
butter
aluminum foil

Cut the potatos in 1/4 inch slices. Place the potatos on a sheet of aluminum foil. Sprinkle with pepper and garlic salt and toss. Add chunks of butter. Place a second sheet of aluminum foil over the top of the potatos and fold the edges of the aluminum foil to seal tightly. Cook over your campfire until tender (30-45 minutes?). Enjoy. Great as a side dish with those grilled steaks!

This is one that I learned while working as a camp counselor. Gotta love camp outs!

The recipie is for a beef stew type dish

Ingredients:
chopped carrots, potatoes, onions, celery,
ground beef/veggie burgers torn into pieces (can do with hamburger patties too)
can of tomatoe sauce
salt and pepper
tabasco sauce
small amount of water

While one person preps the food have another start the camp fire

Take two good sized pieces of aluminum foil (or 1 long piece folded in half).
Inside of it you will place the ingredients that you plan to eat. Be sure to add enough tomotoe sauce to add taste (add just a smidge of water, not much is needed). Wrap the food in the aluminum foil (boat shaped, ball shaped, etc), feel free to get creative as it will help to identify yours later.

Place foil covered food in the fire pit (towards the outsides and under logs work well as they have the heat and accessability). Check on them after 20-25 minutes. If need more heat consider moving them. The average time too cook the food in the fire takes between 45-60 minutes. Just remember to check on them so that they do not get burned.

Enjoy :)

I am going this weekend to McCoy creek on the palisades in Alpine, Wyoming.

I am making potato packs a head of time.

Cut two each of foil for each serving, put in for each serving.

Slice potatoes thin
Cut up mushrooms
Cut up onions
Salt
Pepper
Lots of Butter

Sometimes when I am in a hurry I precook potatoes in Microwave

Wrap up in second piece of foil, put on coals when burned down, cook about 40 minutes or shorter if potatoes are precooked.

Enjoy!

if you want a twist to the everyday hot dog, do Spider Dogs.

Cut a hot dog weenie about a third of the way from the ends twice. on each end. Then you roast them on a stick. When they start to curl up on the ends, they are done. :thumbsup2

This is a yummy treat! First you need some dowels(1in.wide) (sp), get them at any hardware store, have them cut about the length of a marshmellow stick. On one end smooth and round it out. Once its all set clean and get ready!!!

You will need
spray ( like Pam) Pilsbury cresent rolls
whip cream jelly
cinamon/sugar

What to do
Spray the rounded end of the stick w/ the cooking stick. Cup the bottom of the stick with the dough (one piece of the dough), wrap around remaining dough around the stick ( makes like a french horn shape). Cook over the fire,turning the stick for even cooking. When dough is golden and puffy remove carefully. Fill with some of your favorite toppings. Whip cream and jelly, or cinnamon/sugar. Fun dessert!! :woohoo:

O.K. now I realize that FW has no fire pits...sorry.But I still wanted to share!
ENJOY :wave2:

Okay, here's an old girl scout camp recipe that we used to do over a camp fire, but you could use the FW grills. Cut day-old french bread into good-sized chunks (big enough to slide onto a stick or skewer; 2-3"?), dip in Eagle brand sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk), and roll in coconut, finely chopped nuts, or sprinkle with cinnamon. Toast on a stick over grill or campfire until toasty, then eat. Be careful--it's sort of messy, but very yummy and very rich!

Just take 2 eggs, crack them into a baggie. Seal the baggies and using your hands, squish the bag so the eggs scramble. Open the bag and add your favorite ingredients...shredded cheese, diced onion, chopped mushrooms, diced ham, green pepper, then seal the baggie and put into a cooler with ice.

When you're ready for breakfast, just drop the baggies into a bag of boiling water and it cooks up almost instantly!

Ingredients:

marshmallows
Keebler fudge stripe cookies

Just like always, roast your marshmallow but then you just put it in between 2 fudge stripe cookies and OH MY GOSH they are AWESOME!

For those of us who have the luxury of a microwave in our RV , I was at a wedding shower this past week and the bride received a silicone cake pan. According to the wrapping you can prepare a cake in the microwave using this type of pan. Does anyone have a recipe for this that you could make using a cake mix ? This would be great money saver at Fort Wilderness as my children would not be begging me to buy the chocolate cake they sell at the Meadow and Settlement. I have also heard you can cook desserts in a crockpot. Any camping friendly ones to share?

I have an easy and yummy one! 2 cans condensed milk...let cook on low for 4 hours , slice bananas into slices of your size choosing, spoon milk over bananas and let cool....pour herseys syrup over that...YUMMY and very rich...you may have to spoon instead of slice it but it is delish!! DJ :cool1: :thumbsup2 princess: :joker: :crazy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!