*******Official August 2017 Countdown Thread ~ Feeling hot, hot, hot!!!******

Yesterday was single-digit day for my julaugust adventure! A week from right now, we'll be on the road, cruising down I-95. Can't come fast enough. :flower1:

Same. We leave next Saturday for the long drive down 95. I grew up in NJ but have lived in MD now for almost 18 years so a little closer drive now. Maybe we'll pass each other along the way. We are staying at the Poly too. It's our home resort. But our first night is at Kidani.

Our Magicbands arrived today :yay: Still waiting for ME tags.... Almost finished with my Word doc with itinerary for the 10 day trip. I need to double check the packing list doc and make any needed tweeks. I need to get one more script refill and some pepto bismol tablets. I need to make my list of tips needed so that I can create my list of $$denominations before going to the bank. And then, of course, make the mousekeeping envelopes.

On a similar note....we are getting a beachshack at TL for the first time this trip. Should we tip the attendant for each task or just tip at the end of the day?? Anyone have experience with this?

According to Uber estimator it would be at least 125 each way......... Parking is only 8 bucks a day
And that shows you how much I know about parking fees, and uber prices lol. Guess I'll keep quiet, and stick to the driving questions :)

Yesterday was single-digit day for my julaugust adventure! A week from right now, we'll be on the road, cruising down I-95. Can't come fast enough. :flower1:

Same. We leave next Saturday for the long drive down 95. I grew up in NJ but have lived in MD now for almost 18 years so a little closer drive now. Maybe we'll pass each other along the way. We are staying at the Poly too. It's our home resort. But our first night is at Kidani.

Well, congrats to you both on the single digits. We are a bit behind you. Brave driving 95 on a Saturday. I find that it is typically a crawl through the Northern half of Virginia on Saturdays. We will be driving down from NY. We leave here early Wednesday morning, and stop in SC for the night, then make it to Disney early Thursday afternoon.

Well, congrats to you both on the single digits. We are a bit behind you. Brave driving 95 on a Saturday. I find that it is typically a crawl through the Northern half of Virginia on Saturdays. We will be driving down from NY. We leave here early Wednesday morning, and stop in SC for the night, then make it to Disney early Thursday afternoon.

Haha. Yeah we are quite familiar with that part of VA. We live right on the other side of the Potomac river essentially. We actually find Saturday night to be the easiest time of the day to head out. Weekdays are awful around here. We would be stuck in rush hour traffic if we left in the morning during the week. We can't move around here from 5:30-10 weekdays. It's awful. But my job is so close to my house that I avoid it which is great.

That's precisely why we leave so early. We leave NJ around 1 in the morning, and typically bypass the Virginia traffic. South Carolina, however, is also really bad on Saturday late afternoon/evenings. That's typically where we run into the most trouble.

And that shows you how much I know about parking fees, and uber prices lol. Guess I'll keep quiet, and stick to the driving questions :)

The first few uber options started at like $300-400 each way. What?!? IDK the differencebetween them -- uber black, uber xl, etc. But for that price im sure I could get a limo there. We do sometimes take a limo when going to the nH airport but I expect the cost will be too high to take to RI.

That's precisely why we leave so early. We leave NJ around 1 in the morning, and typically bypass the Virginia traffic. South Carolina, however, is also really bad on Saturday late afternoon/evenings. That's typically where we run into the most trouble.
We drive through Atlanta-just had a friend drive down from our area and she was stuck in traffic in Atlanta-on a saturday! It has been a couple decades since we've driven-should be interesting....Do you go through Hilton Head/beach crowd area? I'd imagine that traffic is horrific all summer :)

I will be freaking out this time next week when we hit single digits...and will HAVE to be serious about packing etc... Oh and DH birthday is a few days before we leave, and driving 3 hours to be with my dad for his 70th birthday day before we start our trek to Florida...

We drive through Atlanta-just had a friend drive down from our area and she was stuck in traffic in Atlanta-on a saturday! It has been a couple decades since we've driven-should be interesting....Do you go through Hilton Head/beach crowd area? I'd imagine that traffic is horrific all summer :)

I will be freaking out this time next week when we hit single digits...and will HAVE to be serious about packing etc... Oh and DH birthday is a few days before we leave, and driving 3 hours to be with my dad for his 70th birthday day before we start our trek to Florida...

We pass the Hilton Head area for sure and yes, it's bumper to bumper 9/10 times. Especially on a Saturday afternoon. Worst leg of the trip except for Orlando :sad2:

But I feel you about packing. It's the WORST part for me, but it's a little bit better now that I have clothes I wear exclusively at Disney World!

One month from today we check into Pop Century. Can't wait! We were trying to keep it a surprise from our sons but my older son (12) was getting suspicious so we told them a few days ago. Now all I hear is "I can't wait" and not only from me. LOL I got an e-mail a few days ago that our magic bands had shipped. Time to get working on my packing lists.

We typically leave here between 2 and 5 in the morning. I find as long as we do it on a weekday, we hit little to no traffic on the way.

Single digits!!

In 6 days, we fly to Florida.
In 9 days, we go to WDW.

This year we are flying so we have more time there. (We normally drive from Ohio and take 1 1/2 days to travel each way.) I am really looking forward to having less travel time, but I am also very nervous about the flight. I experience horrible ear pain when flying. Also, my equilibrium gets thrown off kilter which makes me horribly nauseous, and yes I have gotten sick on airplanes before. Last time we flew, there were no airsick bags available so this time I am making my own. (Does anyone know if southwest generally has air sick bags at the seats?)

Fortunately, I didn't get sick last time as I try to take precautions. I wear earplanes which helps tremendously with the pain. I don't eat anything the night before or the day of flying. I do take some saltines to nibble on during the flight as the crackers can help with stomach acid. That and a few sips of water help with the nausea.

I am a bit worried as lately I have been experiencing sinus issues when I first wake up in the morning. My head and ears are all clogged up which is certainly something you don't want on a flight. I'll take nasal spray with me and some sudafed the night before. Hopefully that will help. Our flight leaves at 6am. So we will be getting up around 3:15am to go to the airport. It might be worth it not to sleep at all that night.

Thankfully, we have a straight through two-hour flight. If my sinuses are acting up and I can't clear them, the earplanes won't help much. It may take a day or two for my ears to "pop." At least we will be with the in-laws while that is happening so by the time I get to WDW, all should be well.

Single digits!!

In 9 days, we go to WDW.

This year we are flying so we have more time there. (We normally drive from Ohio and take 1 1/2 days to travel each way.) I am really looking forward to having less travel time, but I am also very nervous about the flight. I experience horrible ear pain when flying. Also, my equilibrium gets thrown off kilter which makes me horribly nauseous, and yes I have gotten sick on airplanes before. Last time we flew, there were no airsick bags available so this time I am making my own. (Does anyone know if southwest generally has air sick bags at the seats?)

Fortunately, I didn't get sick last time as I try to take precautions. I wear earplanes which helps tremendously with the pain. I don't eat anything the night before or the day of flying. I do take some saltines to nibble on during the flight as the crackers can help with stomach acid. That and a few sips of water help with the nausea.

I am a bit worried as lately I have been experiencing sinus issues when I first wake up in the morning. My head and ears are all clogged up which is certainly something you don't want on a flight. I'll take nasal spray with me and some sudafed the night before. Hopefully that will help. Our flight leaves at 6am. So we will be getting up around 3:15am to go to the airport. It might be worth it not to sleep at all that night.

Thankfully, we have a straight through two-hour flight. If my sinuses are acting up and I can't clear them, the earplanes won't help much. It may take a day or two for my ears to "pop." At least we will be with the in-laws while that is happening so by the time I get to WDW, all should be well.
That sounds awful, hope it goes better than you are expecting!

Single digits!!

In 9 days, we go to WDW.

I have had this happen to me a few times in the past. The worst was on an older plane where the air pressure in the cabin was not controlled as well. For me, I follow a few steps before getting on an airplane and it makes a HUGE difference. First, I make sure my sinus passages are clear and not swollen...well, as much as possible...lol. I use zyrtec daily and for a few days before my flight, I take an overnight antihistamine like benedryl or chloratrimitan(sp?) each night. I also cannot have caffeine the morning of my flight and I must eat something with protein for breakfast. There is something about caffeine that tends to make my blood pressure too low on an airplane which makes me feel as if I am about to pass out and I get REALLY nauseated. Eating protein helps to keep my blood sugar more stable which also helps.

Good luck!!!!

I have had this happen to me a few times in the past. The worst was on an older plane where the air pressure in the cabin was not controlled as well. For me, I follow a few steps before getting on an airplane and it makes a HUGE difference. First, I make sure my sinus passages are clear and not swollen...well, as much as possible...lol. I use zyrtec daily and for a few days before my flight, I take an overnight antihistamine like benedryl or chloratrimitan(sp?) each night. I also cannot have caffeine the morning of my flight and I must eat something with protein for breakfast. There is something about caffeine that tends to make my blood pressure too low on an airplane which makes me feel as if I am about to pass out and I get REALLY nauseated. Eating protein helps to keep my blood sugar more stable which also helps.

Good luck!!!!

Great tips! Thanks!!

Phone conversation this Thursday (condensed for brevity's sake):

CM: No, m'am, I'm sorry but there aren't anymore Disney Visa discount rooms available at POFQ.

Me: That's okay, it was a long shot. (feeling slightly relieved, because we don't NEED to go twice in one summer... right?)

CM: How would you feel about a Value resort?

Me: Huh??

CM: You can get a Preferred Room at Pop Century for $$$ a night with your AP Discount.

Me: SOLD.

So after an incredibly soggy trip in June that WAS fun but maybe wasn't quite all that I'd hoped (no one's fault, just the excessively wacky June weather wearing me down a bit), we're taking a do-over trip. First time at a Value, but Pop looks intriguing, and frankly this is going to be a quick GET THOSE RIDES DONE kind of trip that won't involve a lot of resort time. We're going to skip AK as we obviously couldn't get FPs for the Pandora rides, and instead we're going to go to Typhoon Lagoon since we couldn't go last time (see: excessively wacky June weather). Other than a PPO breakfast at Garden Grill, we're going to stick with QS meals, and I'm really looking forward to seeing AoA's food court after reading so much about it.

Cooling towels are at the ready, a case of water is being delivered on arrival, hats and sunscreen are lined up on top of the suitcase. In the immortal words of a rusty tow truck, let's GET 'ER DUN!!! :stitch:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter