*******Official August 2017 Countdown Thread ~ Feeling hot, hot, hot!!!******

I am really looking forward to having less travel time, but I am also very nervous about the flight. I experience horrible ear pain when flying. Also, my equilibrium gets thrown off kilter which makes me horribly nauseous, and yes I have gotten sick on airplanes before. Last time we flew, there were no airsick bags available so this time I am making my own. (Does anyone know if southwest generally has air sick bags at the seats?)

Fortunately, I didn't get sick last time as I try to take precautions. I wear earplanes which helps tremendously with the pain. I don't eat anything the night before or the day of flying. I do take some saltines to nibble on during the flight as the crackers can help with stomach acid. That and a few sips of water help with the nausea.

I am a bit worried as lately I have been experiencing sinus issues when I first wake up in the morning. My head and ears are all clogged up which is certainly something you don't want on a flight. I'll take nasal spray with me and some sudafed the night before. Hopefully that will help. Our flight leaves at 6am. So we will be getting up around 3:15am to go to the airport. It might be worth it not to sleep at all that night.

Like you, I'm NOT a good flyer!! I have issues with ear pain/ears that won't pop, as well as the airsickness. For me, unlike you, I absolutely need to eat before flying (and sometimes snack during.) But I don't eat anything fatty/greasy/or sugary. I wear sea bands, use the essential oil you rub behind your ears, and usually also bring medication incase it's needed. If there isn't a bag at the seat, I wouldn't hesitate to ask a flight attendant for one, or something similar. I'm sure they'd rather you had it and not need it than the other way around. That's an early morning for sure!! If it were me, I'd probably try to sleep anyway, because if I'm working on no sleep I find I'm MUCH more prone to nausea. Good luck! Fortunately, it's a very short direct flight, and then you'll be at the Happiest Place on Earth!!

Now is the time when the days draaaaaaaaaagggg.
I still need to place my Garden Grocer order and my Disney Floral order for DDs birthday basket. I will work on those this week.
Getting my suitcase out of the attic now to air out for a couple weeks.

Yup, days take for ever now lol. On the bright side, we just got a bit of a surprise. It looks like the wife is actually getting an extra day off the day before we were going to leave for vacation. It just so happens that I have that day off as well, and I had already planned to pick the rental car up early that morning, so .. . . . we *might* sneak out of NY a day earlier than planned. That way, instead of getting into Orlando on Thursday the 10th in the early afternoon, we would actually get supper in Daytona Wednesday evening, and then stay either in Daytona, or Orlando over night, and have a full day for Disney Springs, and I-Drive on Thursday before unloading at the house, and then going to see LaNouba.

Besides, I love airports!

Me, too! With all the improvements at Logan, it's a much nicer place to hang out. We had a 10:00am flight recently and we got dropped off super early so our ride didn't have to sit in rush hour traffic. We went to Legal Seafood for breakfast and read magazines while sitting in the rocking chairs.

Yup, days take for ever now lol. On the bright side, we just got a bit of a surprise. It looks like the wife is actually getting an extra day off the day before we were going to leave for vacation. It just so happens that I have that day off as well, and I had already planned to pick the rental car up early that morning, so .. . . . we *might* sneak out of NY a day earlier than planned. That way, instead of getting into Orlando on Thursday the 10th in the early afternoon, we would actually get supper in Daytona Wednesday evening, and then stay either in Daytona, or Orlando over night, and have a full day for Disney Springs, and I-Drive on Thursday before unloading at the house, and then going to see LaNouba.
Ahh-that sounds like a relaxing start!
Do you rent a car for your trips to save mileage on your car? Or do you live where you don't need a car? Curious because it looks like we will be driving in November and contemplating renting a car to save the wear and tear on ours...

Me, too! With all the improvements at Logan, it's a much nicer place to hang out. We had a 10:00am flight recently and we got dropped off super early so our ride didn't have to sit in rush hour traffic. We went to Legal Seafood for breakfast and read magazines while sitting in the rocking chairs.

Nice! I've moved up the time we're getting Logan Express - again, better to be at the airport early than to be having anxiety while sitting on the Mass Pike! Good call with Legal's for breakfast. I'll have to find something similar in terminal A.

Hi - a quick question - do water parks open at 10am or a little bit earlier like 9:30am? What should we be there?
Hopefully someone here knows this answer. The posted time in 10am, but they may open a bit earlier, like the parks often do

Hopefully someone here knows this answer. The posted time in 10am, but they may open a bit earlier, like the parks often do
I've been calling regularly, hoping a cabana will free up on one of the two days we can go. We've got an umbrella rented for the moment, and will have to wait to buy the one-day tickets at the gate in order to get the DVC discount, and every CM has strongly urged me to be there early. I'm planning to Uber from Pop around 9:15.

Ahh-that sounds like a relaxing start!
Do you rent a car for your trips to save mileage on your car? Or do you live where you don't need a car? Curious because it looks like we will be driving in November and contemplating renting a car to save the wear and tear on ours...

I drive older cars, and don't worry much about the mileage on them. I typically pick up used Honda's cheap, and drive the heck out of 'em, and I've had plenty of luck that way. My first 6 trips to Florida (driving from NY) were absolutely trouble free, in a car that had well over 200k miles on it . . . but . . . then trip number 8, that was a bad trip lol. Broke down in Maryland, wasted a day and a half, and $1000 on repair . . . . then, a few days later, broke down again in Florida, wasted another half a day, and another $1000 in repairs.

That was the last time I drove my own car from NY to FL lol. The last two trips were rentals, and a wonderful experience. We have a 7 passenger SUV reserved for our trip this year. The cost is a bit over $1000 for the two weeks plus of our vacation, with unlimited mileage thanks to AAA. Drive is around 18 - 20 hours from our home to Disney, as long as we don't get caught up in any crazy traffic. Honestly, I kind of enjoy the drive.

Thanks @Tomh -
My 4Runner is 16 years old (just had to have new transmission put in) over 200k. DH SUV is honda And couple years old but he puts high mileage on his cars. ANd as trip would be >2000 miles would like to spare his car- as it's gotta last a few years. Seems a rental would be worth it hmmm

Plz ignore any spelling or grammar or word errors. Typing on iPad is glitchy on these boards lol!

Confession, I have not read all 56 pages to catch up with y'all that have been planning for months and months! I'm cheating. Last minute decision to fly to Orlando for a wedding. One cannot go to Orlando and not allow a little extra time for the mouse. So I reached out to my best online Disney/Bronco fan friend that I have never met in person and she's meeting me there! So excited. She and I met on the November 2012 planning board and have been fast friends ever since. We missed meeting each other by a matter of yards at AK during our trips in 2012. In fact her sister-in-law ran into us and took pictures of our kids together while she was off in a gift shop by EE. Anyway fast forward almost five years and we finally get to meet and what could be a better place than WDW!!! So anyway now that I've babbled I'll get to the details. We will be there 8/25-8/28 very limited park time. Friday PM AK, Saturday AM MK, Saturday evening Wedding, Sunday EP all day, Monday drive back to ATL (she lives there) and she will drop me at the airport that night. Whirlwind trip but super excited for a grownup only trip. It'll be my first! (I have 4 kids 12-18)

We are booked at the Wyndham tower at Disney Springs.

Have one ADR so far at BOG on Saturday for 12:30. Will likely keep that unless I get really lucky and snag a PPO time. I have been stalking the reservations. I've never had a PPO reservation and it would free up some of our limited time. I really want to experience BOG. We missed its opening by just days in 2012.

Last edited:
Thanks @Tomh -
My 4Runner is 16 years old (just had to have new transmission put in) over 200k. DH SUV is honda And couple years old but he puts high mileage on his cars. ANd as trip would be >2000 miles would like to spare his car- as it's gotta last a few years. Seems a rental would be worth it hmmm

Plz ignore any spelling or grammar or word errors. Typing on iPad is glitchy on these boards lol!

The car the faithfully took me there and back all those trips before finally letting me down was a '94 Accord. We replaced it with a '96 Accord. These Honda's are amazing. They will go pretty well 300k miles as long as you take care of them. I now use Hertz with my AAA discount for the unlimited mileage, and a little break on the price. It is around 2200 miles for us. I just came to the realization that it isn't worth the risk of breaking down in my older car. It not only costs too much to get it repaired away from home, but also takes too much time out of the trip. Rental I believe is the way to go.

We arrive at night on August 11.

We are thinking of going to Epcot in the morning of august 12 to do Universe of energy for our first and last time, and we will go straight to DHS after to do the Great movie ride!

I don't want to do those ride on their last day, august 13, it's probably going to be crazy busy.

Who else have to move around stuff to be able to do those rides?

We arrive at night on August 11.

We are thinking of going to Epcot in the morning of august 12 to do Universe of energy for our first and last time, and we will go straight to DHS after to do the Great movie ride!

I don't want to do those ride on their last day, august 13, it's probably going to be crazy busy.

Who else have to move around stuff to be able to do those rides?

We aren't doing DHS, so we will miss that last ride on The Great Movie Ride, but we will be in EPCOT on the 11th, and so I plan on getting at least one trip through Universe of Energy. One last time hearing "stupid Judy, stupid energy," and seeing those dinosaurs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter