Official 2016 Princess Half Marathon Thread

I have to say that the running 4-5 across was the most frustrating thing! We ran as a group of two and often ran one in front of the other. Even if people would run by twos that would still leave more room for other runners. People were getting injured going off to the side of the road to get around some big groups.

I still consider myself a newbie runner, but learned so much about race etiquette from this board last year. It was so helpful!

Quick question (apologize if it's been asked) but rD's site says that POT must be from a certified race and then further time it says officially timed race. I'm thinking of signing up for another 10k in October to try to get a better time (for myself and corral placement). It's an officially timed race but I don't think it's USAT certified. Is that okay??

Oh Thank YOU for the heads up about Jetblue booking already! Providing Tuesday registration goes smoothly I will then immediately book my resort and then head to JetBlue to book my flights! Last year I waited hoping for better prices and I paid double for what I was hoping.

Quick question (apologize if it's been asked) but rD's site says that POT must be from a certified race and then further time it says officially timed race. I'm thinking of signing up for another 10k in October to try to get a better time (for myself and corral placement). It's an officially timed race but I don't think it's USAT certified. Is that okay??
I think "officially timed" is okay - they only seem to care that there is a link to results that they can see. The one race I always use for PoT for runDisney is a non-certified 10-miler, and that's worked since 2011... *knock on wood*

Word of caution with JetBlue right now. Their site and prices are still messed up. I am going on a cruise with my MIL & SIL in April 2016. They are flying roundtrip from Maine to Fort Lauderdale. If I price the flights on JetBlue.com they want to charge $1200 per person!!! I went through Google Flights and booked the same flights for $296 per person. So I would price out the flights on both sites!

When you register you'll put in your anticipated pace...I THINK this is what they use to corral the 5K'ers but I'm not totally sure. Choices are below:
  • Under 7 minutes
  • 7:01 - 8:00 minutes
  • 8:01 - 9:00 minutes
  • 9:01 - 10:00 minutes
  • 10:01 - 11:00 minutes
  • 11:01 - 12:00 minutes
  • 12:01 - 13:00 minutes
  • 13:01 - 14:00 minutes
  • 14:01 - 15:00 minutes

You can run with earphones in, yes. I never do though, because I want to be able to fully take it all in! :)

Is it where the faster runners get in the corrals that start sooner, and the slower runners are the last corrals?

I think "officially timed" is okay - they only seem to care that there is a link to results that they can see. The one race I always use for PoT for runDisney is a non-certified 10-miler, and that's worked since 2011... *knock on wood*

^^ This! ^^

I think they just want to make sure the time is legit and recorded somewhere, not just the whole "take your word for it" thing.

From reading past races, it seems they really are trying to crack down on people fudging times to work themselves into better corrals. Making sure you have an "official" time, not just off a Garmin or running app seems like the best way to do it.

So far, around these boards, we haven't really had anyone recently had a time rejected for position that didn't have listed results - either from a website or a PDF of official results given by race directors.

Word of caution with JetBlue right now. Their site and prices are still messed up. I am going on a cruise with my MIL & SIL in April 2016. They are flying roundtrip from Maine to Fort Lauderdale. If I price the flights on JetBlue.com they want to charge $1200 per person!!! I went through Google Flights and booked the same flights for $296 per person. So I would price out the flights on both sites!

Yes! Same thing happened to me. We were lucky enough to get a good price, but my mother had to go through google flights for April. JetBlue was quoting almost $1000 round trip, she got her flight for $261 round trip. JetBlue is also still having problems with their website. If their website does not allow you to book, call and tell the agent that the website was not working properly and they will waive the $25 phone booking charge.

Is it where the faster runners get in the corrals that start sooner, and the slower runners are the last corrals?
Yes, exactly. If it was the other way around, the slower runners would start first and then the faster runners would just mow them down. Not safe!

THANK YOU so much @Ariel484 ! Your encouragement is much appreciated. I am NOT a runner. Started C25K and hate it but want ti push myself to do this. Im afraid to not sign up for the 10 k, as maybe i"ll get better but afraid to sign up in case I absolutely do not lol! DD14 is a runner, and will be on her high school cross country team, so I am confident she could easily do all 3 races.

What characters have you met at the 5 k? Im just curious if any are even out?

I started with C25K too. I had to stop after a week because of my knees. Try Jeff Galloway's method. It has really worked for me. I started more slowly and have had time for some strengthening work for my core and glutes. I ran my first 5K this past Saturday in under 15 minutes per mile and am over 50. I had never run until a few months ago. I'm working on the 10 K plan so I can run a local race this fall before the Princess 10K. If you don't push yourself to the point of pain and exhaustion you might find you like it. I did!

On the characters question, do an Internet search. You'll find blogs with reviews and maybe YouTube videos of the races.

Sorry for the quick second post. I just finished the 6 new pages!

I use the free version of the RunKeeper app for my intervals. I found the very beginner training program for the Galloway method but instead of using his app, I created timers and labeled them by week on RunKeeper. Now I'm doing a specific 10K training plan. I have a 30 minute timer with a 1 min run, 30 second walk. Then on mileage days, I use the distance selection and input what mileage I need. I have a single ear bud so I can hear my beep.

With the race I did this past Saturday, I had pulled a muscle in my back the day before so did 30/30 instead. It worked like a charm with a little help from Advil.

I am so excited about these races! I'll be doing the Mickey's Jingle Jungle 5K in November as my first runDisney event. Princess will be my first 10K. My daughter designs costumes for herself and friends for anime conventions and Disney Dapper Day. She's working on something for the two of us for both of the Princess races.:goodvibes

Last edited:
I use the free version of the RunKeeper app for my intervals. I found the very beginner training program but instead of using his app, I created timers and labeled them by week on RunKeeper. Now I'm doing a specific 10K training plan. I have a 30 minute timer with a 1 min run, 30 second walk. Then on mileage days, I use the distance selection and input what mileage I need. I have a single ear bud so I can hear my beep.

How do you create the timers? I would like to give that a shot. Thanks!

When you ask this, does you mean does he encourage walk breaks during all runs? If that's what you're asking, then yes - taking walk breaks during runs from the beginning ("The Galloway Method"/"Run Walk Run") is what he is famous for. :)
ok, thought so, but I'm so confused by all the lingo lolol!
I started with C25K too. I had to stop after a week because of my knees. Try Jeff Galloway's method. It has really worked for me. I started more slowly and have had time for some strengthening work for my core and glutes. I ran my first 5K this past Saturday in under 15 minutes per mile and am over 50. I had never run until a few months ago. I'm working on the 10 K plan so I can run a local race this fall before the Princess 10K. If you don't push yourself to the point of pain and exhaustion you might find you like it. I did!

On the characters question, do an Internet search. You'll find blogs with reviews and maybe YouTube videos of the races.
I'm hoping I do like it. my dad is a runner, and so is my 14 yo dd. Its something I have always been SO scared of, and hoping to check it off my bucket list and hopefully stick with it. Zumba is still my favorite though :")

How do you create the timers? I would like to give that a shot. Thanks!

After download and setting up your account there will be 5 buttons across the bottom of the page. Make sure the start button in the middle is selected. Click on workout at the top of the page, it may say free run. From there click on Interval Run. You can set up whatever time you want your intervals and how many. You also have the option of a 5 minute warm up and cool down. I used this for the race last weekend but for my regular training I use Interval Timer and RunKeeper together. It's free too. It lets me have more control over warmup and cool down times. I can save workouts easier on it too. Interval Timer doesn't do pace or distance though so I have both of these apps open when I run. I leave RunKeeper on "free run" and use Interval Timer to let me know when to change pace.

I'm asking for a Garmin Forerunner 220 for Christmas! Then I won't have to use my phone!

Good luck!

Last edited:
After download and setting up your account there will be 5 buttons across the bottom of the page. Make sure the start button in the middle is selected. Click on workout at the top of the page, it may say free run. From there click on Interval Run. You can set up whatever time you want your intervals and how many. You also have the option of a 5 minute warm up and cool down. I used this for the race last weekend but for my regular training I use Interval Timer and RunKeeper together. It's free too. It lets me have more control over warmup and cool down times. I can save workouts easier on it too. Interval Timer doesn't do pace or distance though so I have both of these apps open when I run. I leave RunKeeper on "free run" and use Interval Timer to let me know when to change pace.

I'm asking for a Garmin Forerunner 220 for Christmas! Then I won't have to use my phone!

Good luck!
Cool, thanks! I've used Run Keeper a few times to track my distance and pace, but I've never looked into setting up the intervals. Looks like mine is laid out a little different, but I figured it out. Nifty. This should work well for me, thanks!! I'll take a look into Interval Timer too.

Those of you with interval timers – how loud do they beep and how strong do they vibrate? If wearing earbuds is it loud enough for you to hear? I’m interested in one, but am curious if I’ll notice the warnings or not. :)

I don't use the beeps. Honestly, there is so much beeping going on, I wouldn't know which is mine or someone else's. I even trained with it on vibrate, so I would get used to the feel.

I never use the vibrate feature. The beeping is pretty loud...

...I'll be the stick in the mud though and point out that your ear buds shouldn't have the volume cranked up super loud anyway. You need to be able to hear everything around you when you run (other runners, traffic, etc.). :)

They're supposed to start in the earlier corrals, yes. But the corralling system isn't perfect, and for run/walkers, some will be walking pretty early in order to stick to their intervals. Which is fine, but not when them and their 5 friends are all doing it in a line across the course.

Agreed about the ear buds. In local races, I normally keep one in and the volume low. In Disney races, there is so much to see and hear, and so many people to talk to, I never even use them.

I have to say that the running 4-5 across was the most frustrating thing! We ran as a group of two and often ran one in front of the other. Even if people would run by twos that would still leave more room for other runners. People were getting injured going off to the side of the road to get around some big groups.

I still consider myself a newbie runner, but learned so much about race etiquette from this board last year. It was so helpful!

Be VERY careful if you are going to pass on the right. It is very slippery and sometimes slanted.

Also, I've never really experienced any shoving, but I did have 2 girls who were in the middle of the course take a HARD right turn directly in front of me (I was on the right) to take pictures in front of World Showcase Lagoon. I get that people want to take pictures, but please be aware of other people who are going in a forward direction at full speed!

So excited!!! We are flying JetBlue from Logan Wednesday to Wednesday. I'm praying that Massachusetts has a calm winter so we can train. Does anyone know if we can run with an IPod? I thought I read that Disney does not allow earbuds but I've seen pictures of people run with them in.

We will be flying out of Logan as well and I'm hoping Boston doesn't have another winter like the last one... I only need to say I survived Boston's snowiest winter on record ONCE!!!

Perfect, thanks so much! This was very helpful!!

We will be flying out of Logan as well and I'm hoping Boston doesn't have another winter like the last one... I only need to say I survived Boston's snowiest winter on record ONCE!!!

I'll be flying out of Logan as well and like you, cannot take another winter like last year's again! I left for PHM weekend that Thursday morning and had to shovel another 4" off my car. And I was not wearing winter gear. :rolleyes:

^^ This! ^^

I think they just want to make sure the time is legit and recorded somewhere, not just the whole "take your word for it" thing.

From reading past races, it seems they really are trying to crack down on people fudging times to work themselves into better corrals. Making sure you have an "official" time, not just off a Garmin or running app seems like the best way to do it.

So far, around these boards, we haven't really had anyone recently had a time rejected for position that didn't have listed results - either from a website or a PDF of official results given by race directors.

Thanks so much!! I already have the link to the results page ready if I don't get another 10k race in with a better time before November. I'm ready!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter