Official 2016 Princess Half Marathon Thread

Was anyone else at the parks that weekend? On Friday night it felt like we had MK to ourselves. We watched the 2nd MSEP from Frontierland and there was almost not one around us. It was AWESOME!

We had that on Saturday night. I figured it was because all of the half runners were already asleep ... so thanks!

We did DHS on Friday, and AK on Saturday. On Friday, I wore a dress with leggings, a scarf and a hoodie (I had to throw a second hoodie on during Fantasmic!), and I was still a frozen popsicle by the time we got back to the resort. Saturday wasn't so bad, I was in jeans & a tank top, with a cardigan over it. We didn't do Epcot or MK until after the PHM, and the weather was much more cooperative for long park days, even though there were a few showers on our MK day.

We were also at DHS on Friday - I was wearing leggings and a light sweatshirt (over a long sleeve shirt) and freezing much of the time. Saturday we didn't hit the parks until late night, and I was wearing a sweater, which was much better (especially because it was starting to get warmer). Sunday at Epcot I was super hot.

That was a fun weekend temperature-wise ...

My profile pic is from that Friday at MK, I was in jeans, fleece jacket, scarf, hat and gloves!! We got there for 9am and it was only in the 30s that morning!!

Sunday after the race, I was in a tank top and skirt. Funny how the weather changed so much!! I was glad for post-race activities it wasn't freezing, it was nice to jump in the pool and be able to frolic around Epcot in nicer weather.

LOL I got a slight sunburn on my face after the PHM on Sunday! We decided to hang out after I finished at 8:30am and watched the awards ceremony & last runner cross the finish line, so we were chillin' for about 3 hours in the sunshine. Such a change from Friday morning's 5K when we couldn't finish the race fast enough and get back on the bus to warm up!

I've done GSC the last two years, and wow, what a huge difference in weather each year. 2014, 5k was ok cool enough for me but a touch muggy, I wasn't running that year, just spectating so I don't have a Garmin record of the temp. According to my Garmin history 10k was a balmy 70 at the start and a bit humid, the half was only 66 at the start (still warm for this New Englander) but it got hotter and hotter and increasingly humid, I was a puddle at the end. Fast forward to 2015. My Garmin puts the starts at 34 for the 5k, 43 for the 10k and 55 for the half.

Honestly, if I had to choose I would take this year over last year temp wise, but you can be sure I will pack wiser this year. I have tons of cold weather running gear, but had none of it with me. I visited with family in FL for 4 days before heading to Disney and the forecast when I left Massachusetts was very warm. So this year, I won't even look at forecasts and I will be bringing extra layers to both add warmth to my outfits or a tank as back up if I plan a short or long sleeve top for a costume but it seems too warm.

I didn't have great clothes for walking around after either. It honest to God took until 5:00 PM on the day of the 5k before I felt like I had truly warmed up. I had given my gloves to my dd7 (I tried to buy her some but she didn't want ugly black gloves!), had no long leggings and a light sweatshirt. And, we mostly walked with 3-4 run intervals because it was her first race and she was a bit surprised by the crowd. This year she wants to run it and is "training" so to speak, so at least there is hope for warming up;) The thing I missed most were my SmartWool socks.

As for park time, it is very individual. I do the three early mornings then return to the hotel for a quick ice bath (10k and half only), followed by a quick shower and breakfast, then head to the parks (wearing compression socks) until around 2 PM. After that is resort downtime or a different park if the weather dictates no pool, then out to dinner at a resort or park. I don't go to bed until 10 and get up at 3 or 3:30 depending on the race. But (and believe me this is not always a good thing) I do not require much sleep. I got 4 hours last night and am fine, won't go to bed any earlier tonight. The nerves of the racing experience just keep me going all weekend. I think walking around after the races (in my compression socks only) helps me stay loose. But my mom needed a nap after the 5k last year, and my dad didn't leave the hotel at all after he did the 5k in 2014. My sister did GSC with me last year and she was able to go to bed earlier, got more sleep overnight, but didn't nap either. She toured the parks with us, but left immediately after lunch to get her younger (1 and 3) kids back for naps. She relaxed then. You have to know your body. Pay attention to how you feel in the hours following runs, especially long runs. If you feel great 2, 4, and 6 hours later, then parks are likely fine. But if you hit a wall a few hours later you'll know you need to take a break sometime after the runs. If you are doing back to back races, then at some point in your training rehearse that and see how you feel. They don't have to be long, just consecutive days to see how you handle it.

In other news, I went to PT this morning and they have decided my hamstring issue is tendinitis. It is always something!

Honestly, if I had to choose I would take this year over last year temp wise, but you can be sure I will pack wiser this year. I have tons of cold weather running gear, but had none of it with me. I visited with family in FL for 4 days before heading to Disney and the forecast when I left Massachusetts was very warm. So this year, I won't even look at forecasts and I will be bringing extra layers to both add warmth to my outfits or a tank as back up if I plan a short or long sleeve top for a costume but it seems too warm.

This is why I was so glad that we didn't leave until the day before the race (we did the 5K only, so the only race temps we had were freezing). I'm pretty sure that as we got closer, the weather forecast got colder - if we had left much earlier, we may not have known how much cold weather gear to pack.
That said ... since the weather in Florida is said to be pretty unpredictable, I think it's always a good idea to pack for all contingencies - layers are your friend. It's definitely harder (and more expensive), but it's a good idea to have cold and warm weather options for every costume!

In other news, I went to PT this morning and they have decided my hamstring issue is tendinitis. It is always something!

Take it easy and take care of yourself, and hopefully you'll be back to normal soon!

This is why I was so glad that we didn't leave until the day before the race (we did the 5K only, so the only race temps we had were freezing). I'm pretty sure that as we got closer, the weather forecast got colder - if we had left much earlier, we may not have known how much cold weather gear to pack.
That said ... since the weather in Florida is said to be pretty unpredictable, I think it's always a good idea to pack for all contingencies - layers are your friend. It's definitely harder (and more expensive), but it's a good idea to have cold and warm weather options for every costume!

Take it easy and take care of yourself, and hopefully you'll be back to normal soon!

The annoying part was I am a notorious overpacker and had tons of extras for my first race in 2014, but this year I really tried to streamline and take advantage of the laundry facilities in our room and my relatives house. Lesson learned, I'd rather haul a bunch of stuff on the plane and be dressed properly for the conditions!

And thanks, I think we have a good plan for treating the hamstring:)

Thanks to everyone who gave me all the music suggestions! I ran 3 miles today and felt energized throughout the run rather than counting the number of repetitions of "Suburbia." After my run, DH and I took our dogs for a 1.5 mile walk and then I walked a mile with a friend. That's enough for me for today!:)

The 2014 Princess 5K was too humid for me. I had trained to run it in my Suburbia tempo and then CM friend asked if we could walk because she had FoF rehearsals immediately after. So after speed-walking for 2 miles, she then decided we would run. Ughhh, by then it was a little much for me humidity-wise.

Then for Tink 5K this year, it was cold and raining. I am so hoping there will be nice, decent weather for the Princess 10K next year!!

New runner to the 10k next year at PHM, worried about falling behind pace. :hourglass Are there clocks at every mile marker?

New runner to the 10k next year at PHM, worried about falling behind pace. :hourglass Are there clocks at every mile marker?
Yes. Keep in mind that the clocks will show the total clock time and not your individual chip time.

So say the race officially starts but you yourself don't actually cross the starting line until 20 minutes later. You'd need to subtract 20 minutes from the mile marker clocks to get *your* real time, which the chip on your race bib will record.

In Ohio, we've had cooler temps with low humidity...feels like October in August! It's been good running weather lately.

(And...I've seen The Pride of Broken Arrow at BOA Grand Nationals numerous times...y'all have a great High School marching band!)
That's why they're called the Pride. There's no band geeks in B.A. If you're in the band, you're cool. Thanks for the compliment on my town.

Yes. Keep in mind that the clocks will show the total clock time and not your individual chip time.

So say the race officially starts but you yourself don't actually cross the starting line until 20 minutes later. You'd need to subtract 20 minutes from the mile marker clocks to get *your* real time, which the chip on your race bib will record.
Are there balloon ladies for the 10K?

As for park time, it is very individual. I do the three early mornings then return to the hotel for a quick ice bath (10k and half only), followed by a quick shower and breakfast, then head to the parks (wearing compression socks) until around 2 PM. After that is resort downtime or a different park if the weather dictates no pool, then out to dinner at a resort or park. I don't go to bed until 10 and get up at 3 or 3:30 depending on the race. But (and believe me this is not always a good thing) I do not require much sleep. I got 4 hours last night and am fine, won't go to bed any earlier tonight. The nerves of the racing experience just keep me going all weekend. I think walking around after the races (in my compression socks only) helps me stay loose. But my mom needed a nap after the 5k last year, and my dad didn't leave the hotel at all after he did the 5k in 2014. My sister did GSC with me last year and she was able to go to bed earlier, got more sleep overnight, but didn't nap either. She toured the parks with us, but left immediately after lunch to get her younger (1 and 3) kids back for naps. She relaxed then. You have to know your body. Pay attention to how you feel in the hours following runs, especially long runs. If you feel great 2, 4, and 6 hours later, then parks are likely fine. But if you hit a wall a few hours later you'll know you need to take a break sometime after the runs. If you are doing back to back races, then at some point in your training rehearse that and see how you feel. They don't have to be long, just consecutive days to see how you handle it.

That sounds like good advice! I'm curious how I will end up doing. I think I'm going to need a nice break after the half. This morning I ran 9 miles, and I all I want to do this afternoon is sit around haha (my poor kids are getting restless and need an activity!) Then again, my family will have joined me at Disney World the day of the half for the start of our 8 day vacation, so I have a feeling I will be so excited to let them start experiencing everything. I know I will have a hard time "resting." Disney World is the one vacation where I come home much, much more tired than when I leave. But I love it all the same!

I think so, yes. The other thing I forgot to mention is that the 16:00/mile clock begins as soon as the very last runner crosses the starting line. So if I start the race 30 minutes before the very last runner starts the race, I have 16:00/mile plus an additional 30-minute cushion, which is nice.

I'm officially on the mend...and now I have a question for people who have done this race before!

I'm going to have a car that weekend, so I was considering parking at the TTC and taking the monorail over to Epcot. My thought process being that then my car will be at the TTC for a quick exit after the race. I'll be staying at Caribbean Beach.

Is this a terrible plan? Is it going to be far worse trying to escape afterwards than I think it will?

Speaking of parks, what does everyone do on race weekend? No parks? Half park days? I am trying to plan , but don't want to plan too much. We are doing the 5 K and the 10 K. I did take everyones advice and decided to do the pasta the night of the 10 K instead of staying out late the night before. Where do you all eat before the 10K?

Probably more info than you're looking for, but here are my plans, clipped from my PTR...

• Fri 2/19, Hoping I can get 1900 Park Fare at 8AM at the Grand, then hit the spa for some treatments and be out by 1:30PMish to have lunch at the Grand Floridian Cafe. After that I'd love to hit MK for a few hours, maybe ride the railroad and other non-taxing attractions on the feet. Maybe dinner at the Plaza Restaurant and then Wishes at 8PM.
  • Sat 2/20, Enchanted 10K early early, then Raglan Road brunch around 11AMish. Then back to the hotel to rest up for awhile until dinner. I've already got a 6PM reservation thru OpenTable at Bull & Bear.
  • Sun 2/21, Early early again for the Princess Half! After that I'll make it easy for myself and go to Captain's Grille in the hotel for lunch. I hear it's good. Then begins the Monorail Crawl and celebration portion of the program! I want to start at Tambu Lounge and get a Lapu Lapu! Then I've got to see the east coast version of Trader Sam's. At Contemporary I can check out Outer Rim or the Wave Lounge and then finish up at Mizner's at GF. Along the way I hope to be able to catch portions of the race - it's Daytona 500 day as well. I want to have dinner at Narcoossee's around 6PMish and hopefully, see Wishes at 9PM.

Our plan for this year will be -

Thursday: Leave work at 4pm & drive up to Disney, Check In at AKV, Dinner @ Jiko around 8:30PM
Friday: Expo at Opening, back to AKV to drop off stuff, Afternoon at Hollywood Studios, Dinner @ 5:00PM at The Wave, Be back at hotel to relax after dinner & bed by 9PM.
Saturday: Up at 3:00AM, head to 10K Corrals, Run 10K, Back to Hotel to Clean Up, Afternoon at Animal Kingdom, Dinner @ 5:00PM at Yachtsman - Hopefully in bed by 7:30PM
Sunday: Up at 3:00AM, head to Half Corrals, Run Half, Hopefully back to Hotel prior to 11AM Check Out Time to shower (if not shower in the gym), Drive back to Naples

Yes. This year when I was finishing the loop around the EPCOT hotels heading back into EPCOT, I remember seeing the balloon ladies just getting out of EPCOT. My camera wasn't working for the 10K on my phone and as to fix that would have required stopping my tracking - I waited until after the race.

We can't agree on ADR, with the exception of Ohana- we are running out of time people! I am an planner, I don't like to have unfinished business!
On a different note I got a shipping notification on my top for my costume! I am fully aware that no one will know who I am supposed to be since I will be a Disney Jr. Character, but my kids will!! And DH has agreed to wear a Captain Hook shirt we saw from raw threads (that is as close to a costume as I will ever get with him)

I'm officially on the mend...and now I have a question for people who have done this race before!

I'm going to have a car that weekend, so I was considering parking at the TTC and taking the monorail over to Epcot. My thought process being that then my car will be at the TTC for a quick exit after the race. I'll be staying at Caribbean Beach.

Is this a terrible plan? Is it going to be far worse trying to escape afterwards than I think it will?

Why the TTC? From my understanding it's all at the Epcot parking lot, both starts and finishes of all races.

From last year's event guide:

Directions to Epcot ® (Kids Races, 5K, 10K and Half Marathon)

Friday through Sunday:

Take I-4 to exit 64 (192 West) and follow the signs to Epcot ®. *DO NOT use the Epcot Exit 67 off I-4

For Guests driving to Epcot® on Sunday morning, EXPECT SIGNIFICANT DELAYS!

Please also note, directions from a GPS device or other source will be inaccurate on Sunday due to road closures. Some roads begin to close as early as 11:00 p.m. on the evening before the Half Marathon. Therefore, please use directions above and plan to arrive no later than 4:30 a.m. You must be in your corral at the start line by 5:00 a.m. or you will not be allowed to start. It takes 20 minutes to walk from the Family Reunion area (Epcot® Wonder Lot) to the start line.

I volunteered for the January 5K while DH and DS participated, and I had the car there. It was REALLY nice to have the car there at the Epcot lot. For my Half I didn't have DH and DS come, because they had to get DS over to his Mile (in January the kid races are at WWofS), so I took the bus, and there was a big difference! So I do like the car, but I think you should park at Epcot not TTC.

For South Florida the only good period of time that is good for running is December and maybe part of January :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter