Official 2016 Princess Half Marathon Thread

We can't agree on ADR, with the exception of Ohana- we are running out of time people! I am an planner, I don't like to have unfinished business!
On a different note I got a shipping notification on my top for my costume! I am fully aware that no one will know who I am supposed to be since I will be a Disney Jr. Character, but my kids will!! And DH has agreed to wear a Captain Hook shirt we saw from raw threads (that is as close to a costume as I will ever get with him)

I was toying with the idea of a Disney Jr. character too! I am still undecided-- hopefully that will change soon!

I love reading some of your plans by the way! Planning is the best part of a disney trip!

For South Florida the only good period of time that is good for running is December and maybe part of January :lmao:

Sometimes November & February too ;)

I admire that my husband can consistently go out for a 12 to 14 mile run outside almost every week now - especially in this heat and humidity. The route isn't really shaded much either.

I like the treadmill this time of year.

I almost forgot! During my run last night I ran 5 miles at a 14 minute pace. I still have a ways to go but it was a solid run and one of my best yet.

YAYAYAYAYAY!!!!

I generally do my runs solo because my friends and I all run at very different paces. I will go out occasionally with a friend and run at her pace (about 3-4 min/mile slower than my norm) and I'll admit it's really hard. I do like running with someone else though because it makes the run go by a little easier.

Me too. DH has been a runner since freshman year in high school, which was nearly 24 years ago.... he can finish a half in 2 hours and run the whole thing. Me? I'm a noob. Needles to say, we don't run together. I can kick his butt in a dead sprint, but he's used to endurance so he kicks mine with distance. lol

All of the people that I know whom are also runners are experienced and just run at a pace that I'm not at yet. It'd be too detrimental for me mentally to run with them (I'd feel like I'm holding them back, be worried about keeping up with them, etc) so I just don't.

5.35 in an hour on the treadmill! Woohoo.

Look at you knocking it out of the park!!

April & October are almost always my best running months (sometimes May, too), because the weather is just perfect for it. I lovingly refer to October as "Runtober" because that's usually when I get to log most of my miles after taking it easy during the heat of the summer.

I miss Sept/Oct/and early November for running. I haven't physically run outside since May. It's just too hot or humid. I run indoors mostly right now.

Speaking of parks, what does everyone do on race weekend? No parks? Half park days? I am trying to plan , but don't want to plan too much. We are doing the 5 K and the 10 K. I did take everyones advice and decided to do the pasta the night of the 10 K instead of staying out late the night before. Where do you all eat before the 10K?

My plan is expo first and foremost and then MK. Race day will be DHS and then back to resort to sleep. After race day massage and EPCOT/MK. Fly home day will be MK or AK.

My tentative trip itinerary is post #1520 on page 76 (it's kinda long), so long story short: we only plan for DHS & AK during the race weekend, since we've done those parks enough to know what we like, what we don't like, and how to tour them in a half day so as to save our legs from getting overtired. Right now, the plan is to just have QS dinner back at our resort the night before the 10K, unless dbf changes his mind and wants pasta, then we'll hop on over to one of the resorts that has the QS create-your-own pasta (POR, ASMusic, etc) after we're done at AK. It closes at 5pm that night, so it should be pretty easy to figure out our dinner plans and still be able to get to bed early that night.
Good idea on the create your own pasta!

Probably more info than you're looking for, but here are my plans, clipped from my PTR...

• Fri 2/19, Hoping I can get 1900 Park Fare at 8AM at the Grand, then hit the spa for some treatments and be out by 1:30PMish to have lunch at the Grand Floridian Cafe. After that I'd love to hit MK for a few hours, maybe ride the railroad and other non-taxing attractions on the feet. Maybe dinner at the Plaza Restaurant and then Wishes at 8PM.
  • Sat 2/20, Enchanted 10K early early, then Raglan Road brunch around 11AMish. Then back to the hotel to rest up for awhile until dinner. I've already got a 6PM reservation thru OpenTable at Bull & Bear.
  • Sun 2/21, Early early again for the Princess Half! After that I'll make it easy for myself and go to Captain's Grille in the hotel for lunch. I hear it's good. Then begins the Monorail Crawl and celebration portion of the program! I want to start at Tambu Lounge and get a Lapu Lapu! Then I've got to see the east coast version of Trader Sam's. At Contemporary I can check out Outer Rim or the Wave Lounge and then finish up at Mizner's at GF. Along the way I hope to be able to catch portions of the race - it's Daytona 500 day as well. I want to have dinner at Narcoossee's around 6PMish and hopefully, see Wishes at 9PM.
Never heard of bull and bear. AWESOME idea on monorail crawl. On my Disney bucket list for sure...when the kids are older, of course lol
My plan is expo first and foremost and then MK. Race day will be DHS and then back to resort to sleep. After race day massage and EPCOT/MK. Fly home day will be MK or AK.
yes, must hit expo... i don't even know how to plan for that :/ So jealous on massages everyone is thinking about. Good idea!

Never heard of bull and bear. AWESOME idea on monorail crawl. On my Disney bucket list for sure...when the kids are older, of course lol

Here's their MENU. It's at the Waldorf Astoria. It's within the Disney gates, just not a Disney hotel. I'm definitely excited for my monorail crawl!!!

I'm going to guess Bull and Bear is priced similar to Ruth's Chris or Flemings. But that menu does look good. I'll have to save that for a trip where we're not trying to acomplish 50 things. Plus, this trip is solo. I'm not sure I'd feel in place at such a restaurant eating by myself. I have done so many times- but just not at a place so fancy.

As I said on the Wine and Dine thread, I need to lace up and get in like 6 miles at a minimum today. I don't know how you guys lace up after rolling right out of bed. I've been up about an hour to hour and a half and mentally (and physically) just can't do it. Right out of bed I feel kind of foggy headed and stiff, and now I just mentally have a block. I much prefer to end my day with a run (and I sleep SO much better when I do) but I'm trying to get used of the idea of rolling out of bed and running now and again because Tink and Princess will require it.

Wish me luck.....

All of the people that I know whom are also runners are experienced and just run at a pace that I'm not at yet. It'd be too detrimental for me mentally to run with them (I'd feel like I'm holding them back, be worried about keeping up with them, etc) so I just don't.

I know exactly what you mean. A lot of my friends are 10 min/mile long distance people. I know I will never be at that pace (slow runner, fully accepted!) and it would be hard for everyone to do that.

Hi Fellow Princesses! I'm registered for the Princess GSC, my first Disney race. Super excited about the races, Expo and all the weekend events! But i'm concerned about where to stay . . . I booked Wyndham Bonnet Creek. My DH will drive me to the race start before going to his own race in Tampa. I will be on my own getting to the Expo and back to the resort after the race. Has anyone stayed at WBC for marathons and how did that work out? Should I book a Disney property instead?

Anyone else in the same boat as me & wasn't able to register for the PHM directly through Disney? My friend that works for WDW Events said they sold out in a hour :( I registered for the race through CMNH but am having a hard time fundraising. Has anyone had any luck with this? What did you do? This will also be my first race for Disney if anyone has any tips/advice!

I managed to suck it up and get out there. of course, by the time I ate something light, geared up, prepped my after run nutrition, and drove to the trail- I had to run between 11:45-1:30pm. Thankfully while it was hot, it wasn't hot and humid. I was slower than normal, 13:27 pace per my Garmin, and I should have only tried to up my mileage by 1 but did it by 2. So my longest run was about 6.2 miles, I should have stopped at no more than 7 but did 8. That last mile kicked my @$$. I couldn't run for longer than 30 seconds. Mentally I was just spent. But I got in my run. And now I'm ready for bed. lmao

I know exactly what you mean. A lot of my friends are 10 min/mile long distance people. I know I will never be at that pace (slow runner, fully accepted!) and it would be hard for everyone to do that.

If I'm indoors or it's cool, my long run pace is somewhere between 11 and 12 minute miles. At least, it was. Today I learned that when you get closer to 8-10 miles, you can't keep up that pace as a noob. lol

I think it'll take me years to be able to run a half at 11 minute miles.

I much prefer to end my day with a run (and I sleep SO much better when I do) but I'm trying to get used of the idea of rolling out of bed and running now and again because Tink and Princess will require it.

Eh. I'm on the west coast and NEVER run in the morning for training and have managed to do morning runs at WDW (and DL). And since I don't get to town weeks before, I'm still on Pacific time which makes it even worse in WDW. I've had issues with the runs but that's because I haven't trained adequately in general, not because of the lack of morning practice.

I know how food affects me pre-run. I know how coffee affects me in the morning. I combine the two and manage to do it for events when I haven't done it for training.

I think it'll take me years to be able to run a half at 11 minute miles.

Maybe. Maybe not. IMO the most important thing is to have a plan and FOLLOW that plan. You're the second person in a few days who went beyond their training plan. Sounds like it really messed you up. Don't do that. Follow your plan.

Oh, you guys and your sub 12-13 miles! I wish!! I know it's all relative, but I feel good if I can maintain 14 at longer distances.

I'm pea green!

This was TOTALLY me when I did my first PHM! For me it doesn't get any better than a 12 min mile but I was never a runner to begin with and then add asthma and I am doing good to be moving at any speed ! I just resign myself to people being faster than me and people being slower. Felt a big sense of relief when I looked on the road below the cloverleaf heading into the final stretch to Epcot and saw a huge wall of people coming up the road behind me and DH.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter