Official 2016 Princess Half Marathon Thread

Oh, you guys and your sub 12-13 miles! I wish!! I know it's all relative, but I feel good if I can maintain 14 at longer distances.

I'm pea green!
Me too!!! I can do 13 ish for a 5k or even a 10k. I'm training for the disneyland half and the princess. I ran 10 miles recently and was just over to 15 min miles. Omg. I felt horrible in the middle. I have to learn to fuel more in the beginning!!

I have a lot to learn. I've done a couple 5k and one 10k

Great run this morning -- up to 4 miles! And so far, I've stuck to my training plan. So far, so good!

Question: I'm only running the PHM. Our family is planning to visit HS for a light day of park touring on Saturday. I would really like to see Fantasmic, but I'm concerned about my bedtime! Fantasmic starts at 7pm and lasts for 30 minutes. Then, we'll need to wait for the bus to take us back to POFQ. So perhaps a 9pm bedtime? Is that too late?

Hi Fellow Princesses! I'm registered for the Princess GSC, my first Disney race. Super excited about the races, Expo and all the weekend events! But i'm concerned about where to stay . . . I booked Wyndham Bonnet Creek. My DH will drive me to the race start before going to his own race in Tampa. I will be on my own getting to the Expo and back to the resort after the race. Has anyone stayed at WBC for marathons and how did that work out? Should I book a Disney property instead?

I am thinking of booking here as well! I've read good things. I'm hoping to try to finalize some of my actual travel plans tonight. This is my first Disney race as well!

Hi everyone! I'm new to these forums but am looking forward to all of the great information and feedback from all of you experience Disney runners! I am running the Glass Slipper Challenge in February, and this will be my first Run Disney experience. I have ALWAYS wanted to run this race, so I am so excited I can hardly stand it. :) I am running with Children's Miracle Network Hospitals (CMNH) - so great to be raising money for a great cause at the same time!

I haven't run in over a week. Tomorrow I am determined to be out the door before my DH leaves so that I can get in two miles. I'm hoping that getting up at 5:45 will get me tired for an early bed time tomorrow night so then the first day of school won't be total shock and awe.

I can do a 10 minute mile if I push it and if I run the whole thing. If I have to walk, I'm closer to a 14 minute mile. If I have hills at the end of the run, well then someone is pulling me the rest of the way.

Oh, you guys and your sub 12-13 miles! I wish!! I know it's all relative, but I feel good if I can maintain 14 at longer distances.

I'm pea green!

I've gotten faster over the months that I've been training, but when I first started I ran a 14 or 15 minute mile too. Plus, I cannot maintain an 11 or 12 minute mile past about 5 miles. once I hit 5 miles I start to slow down considerably, again, I'm OK with that because I haven't even been running six months yet.

Eh. I'm on the west coast and NEVER run in the morning for training and have managed to do morning runs at WDW (and DL). And since I don't get to town weeks before, I'm still on Pacific time which makes it even worse in WDW. I've had issues with the runs but that's because I haven't trained adequately in general, not because of the lack of morning practice.

I know how food affects me pre-run. I know how coffee affects me in the morning. I combine the two and manage to do it for events when I haven't done it for training.

Maybe. Maybe not. IMO the most important thing is to have a plan and FOLLOW that plan. You're the second person in a few days who went beyond their training plan. Sounds like it really messed you up. Don't do that. Follow your plan.

You have a very good point. I did not set out today to disrupt the training plan rather it was the combination of a few things occurring. Sort of a 'series of unfortunate events' if you will. Lol

First, I went out without having had a very big breakfast, normally when I run it is in the evening so I've had breakfast and lunch and last nights dinner in my system to help me out. This morning all I had was a banana and yogurt because I do not like the feeling of running on a very heavy meal. Not to mention, dinner the night before was very light.

My next mistake was trying to keep my indoor pace outdoors in the heat over the noon hour. It wasn't on purpose, but it was in the beginning a good comfortable pace. I didn't think to slow myself down because I was outside. Without the humidity, it was just a warm day until about 1230, then that heat started getting to me.

My last mistake was that I had had every intention of turning around on the trail at 3 1/2 miles, it just so happened that when I thought to look down I had already run 3.9 miles so I missed my turnaround point if you will. The trail goes on for some 20 odd miles depending on which fork you choose, so I just have to learn to be better about keeping an eye on my Garmin after I cross 3 miles to make sure I'm turning around at the right point.

Overall, you were absolutely positively correct. We must remember when we're training to stick to the plan. I can make excuses, but really I should've been wiser. I will be feeling this run for a couple of days and it will likely affect my next training run. Already I'm feeling it in my hip, I will be lucky not to be sore for the next day or so. And it is my own darn fault. LOL

Me too! Upright is an accomplishment some days :)

After today's run? I'm pretty sure that's going to be my theme for the next couple days LOL

Last edited:
Me too!!! I can do 13 ish for a 5k or even a 10k. I'm training for the disneyland half and the princess. I ran 10 miles recently and was just over to 15 min miles. Omg. I felt horrible in the middle. I have to learn to fuel more in the beginning!!

I have a lot to learn. I've done a couple 5k and one 10k

I had the same thing happen to me today! in the middle I felt like I had hit a wall that I haven't hit since I was first learning to run. Thankfully, I had remembered to bring some gu chomps with me and I fueled up. once those kicked in I was able to do better, at least until my muscles literally said OK no more....

In the "do as I say not as I do" category, I never eat breakfast before a morning workout. I'll have some sport beans, maybe, before a long run, but that's it. Drives my coach nuts.

My 10K running mate, GoGo, is an Entertainment CM so we plan to stop for most of the character meets. About how many character stops are there for the 10K?

I am on the other end of the spectrum. The only training I do is in the evening. After everything is taken care of is when I lace up and go out for 1 to 1 1/2 hours depending on how I feel. It is still hot with high humidity at between 8 and 10pm.

The only early morning running are the events.

In the "do as I say not as I do" category, I never eat breakfast before a morning workout. I'll have some sport beans, maybe, before a long run, but that's it. Drives my coach nuts.

I'm with you. I can't eat before an early run. Not even before a half. It simply doesn't agree with me. But anytime I expect to be out for an hour I start taking Clif shot blocks at about the 30 minute mark. That doesn't bother me. This totally falls into the "we're all an experiment of one" category.

I got my 5 miler in today. Felt awful until mile 4. My legs just felt like they had lead in them. Not sure what the issue was, but I got through it, so I'm just glad it's done

I am thinking of booking here as well! I've read good things. I'm hoping to try to finalize some of my actual travel plans tonight. This is my first Disney race as well!

I'd love to know what you decide! I know WBC will be awesome, but I'm so on the fence about staying on-site for the convenience!

Then, we'll need to wait for the bus to take us back to POFQ. So perhaps a 9pm bedtime? Is that too late?

Will you be able to sleep at that hour, or is it more of a "get in bed and rest" thing?

To get back quicker, perhaps budget $20 to take a taxi back to the resort? Might be WELL worth it that night.

I did not set out today to disrupt the training plan rather it was the combination of a few things occurring. Sort of a 'series of unfortunate events' if you will. Lol

Oh I know. And I don't mean to berate or scold. I've just been there done that, as described a few pages ago, and it was pretty dangerous. You ended up hurting today and the other Princess poster didn't hydrate later for her job and ended up sick. It's just not good in our beginning'ISH times, to take the mileage too far, and especially when we don't mean to do it.

I just don't want anyone to fall like I did, and to injure themselves like I did or like I could have done (it could have been very VERY bad), so I want everyone to be careful. :)

:) That's like my brother. He has full command over his body most of the time, so if he tells it to run the Marine Corps Marathon without food, that's what it's going to do. (two times his body didn't listen to his commands...he took an unknown gel during a PR race and didn't drink adequate water, and it destroyed his race...and then after that mentioned Marine Corp, he got on Metro which took over an hour to get to his destination, and he nearly couldn't get up to get off the train)

I don't *like* running with food anywhere near my belly, but I don't like fainting, either. So...

I don't like to eat before morning runs either - I rather eat sports beans or a gu to get my carbs in.

Booking our stay today or tomorrow! ADR day came up so quickly! I am thinking DH and i are flying in morning of 2/18, will do expo and then maybe go to epcot that night to drink around the world a little and relax, have a nice dinner. Friday, plan to hit MK, Saturday maybe rest, resort hop a bit, ect. Sunday Race, rest, DTD and dinner out with friends. Monday possibly epcot again before flying home that night. Thoughts?

Fave restaurants for post race dinner? Or pre race for that matter. We're likely staying at riverside

I don't mind running at any specific time as long as the sun isn't beating down on me. That usually limits me to mornings and evenings.

I'm almost at the end of my current training program. It's a bit early to start Galloway but I was wondering if I should get an early start or if I should pick up a different program like the 1/2 marathon version of c25k (I used both that and the 10k version to get into running). I also currently run more than in the Galloway program (I run at least 15 minutes before a walk break) so I'm not sure if that's the best. Any advice?

This is me. I'm a morning runner, and unless I'm going out for a longer run (> 6 miles), the most I'll have is a cup of coffee and a pack of Sport Beans.

What shops are usually at the Expo?

Here's the 2015 Expo map of vendors. Keep in mind, this may change slightly for 2016 depending on which vendors get contracted for next year:

2015-Princess-Half-Marathon-Expo.png

Thank you for posting that list!

More from my playlist of irony... I went out at 6:00 this morning... in the rain, up hill, feeling like I'm going to throw up and Sexy ***** comes on my ipod. But I got in 30 minutes that included picking up the dog for a cool down walk. And by walk I mean take a few steps and stop, take a few steps and stop...

I also don't eat before running. If I run in the evening, I feel like everything I have eaten that day is coming back up. I drink coffee to get me going. I think I need to invest in some gels or gummies or something though for a little rush as I run more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter