No tamper-proof seals on shampoo on Wonder

You never did say that you were concerned. Are you concerned?

I don't believe classifying an event as an Urban Legend is a binary choice. The classification is way more variable than it is or it isn't.
What? Lol.
Maybe I'll explain what Urban Legend means....

urban legend
[ˈərbən ˈlejənd]

NOUN
urban myth (noun) · urban myths (plural noun) · urban legends (plural noun)

1. a humorous or horrific story or piece of information circulated as though true, especially one purporting to involve someone vaguely related or known to the teller.

There's no variable, sorry. As to whether or not I am concerned, you don't have to worry about that. If I am I am, if I'm not I'm not. It was never part of my posts so not important to this topic of Urban Legends. Don't worry about responding because I'm not going to debate this anymore. I didn't say what you seem to think I did and I have explained Urban Legend. You may want to explore this further, I'm done.

Regarding the OP... I had the same experience regarding the stickers on the Fantasy in November. I bring my own toiletries, too. I do wish DCL would provide a bar of soap for the shower, so I will just bring one from home. It's wasteful, however, because I will end up tossing the used bar as opposed to attempting to pack it. A small bar in a paper box seems like a reasonable expectation. Oh well.

How can you classify something that actually happened as Urban Legend? It happened, no myth here. Also, as to no children having been seriously injured or died, could that not be due to the diligence of parents checking candy as opposed to no tampering? I mean, I just googled candy tampering and there are several incidents listed. It happens.

Because of the fact that the I think three times something has been found in kids candy, one was absolutely linked to a family member as a targeted crime, with hopes that this "Urban Legend" would provide a cover story. And the other two times referenced above were isolated incidents, meaning that only one person/ group of ToTer was targeted. I think if we followed through with the story and if a culprit was found, it would likely be that those specific Toters were targeted by someone they knew rather than a stranger.

Let's just say I am wrong and those 2 incidents were truly some sicko trying to harm random kids. 2 out of the how many millions (billions) of ToTers there have been since this UL started? A minuscule risk. The Urban Legend comes into play by classifying it as anything more than a freak, minuscule risk more than likely perpurtrated by a person known to the victim for a specific reason. By acting that it's commonly accepted that its harmed even one kid.

As a man who would never even think about seals on shampoo this thread has given me a good laugh, as we say in the UK, "nowt queer as folk".

I also learned that I must smell like an old granny because I love the H2O stuff and use it at home all the time.

Not pertinent to the current discussion that's gone a bit off the rails, but the big bottles in our stateroom were plastic that looked like frosted glass. We were just on the Wonder. I thought it was dangerous to have glass bottles in the shower of a cruise ship but after picking them up and looking for myself, they were absolutely plastic. OP could have had different bottles, but I know for sure the ones I held in my own hands were plastic.

Last edited:
If I was that concerned about cross contamination of my child's food because of the kitchen conditions, I would bring my own food (obviously, couldn't do it on a Disney Cruise, so I would look for different trip options - and did that for many years due to a family member's allergies). If I was concerned the shampoo could cause a problem, I would bring my own shampoo.

I just don't think this is a realistic problem to have with these new bottles. But, maybe I will be proven wrong one day when a passenger loses his or her hair because they happen to be in a cabin previously inhabited by a psycho and don't instantly notice the difference between shampoo and Nair like most people would. If I happen to be that passenger who wins the unlucky Nair lotto, oh well. I will recover. When I think of the many realistic risks in life, this has to be near the bottom. I would bet drowning in a toilet is significantly more likely.
Actually, I saw an episode of Forensic Files about a man who claimed his wife drowned in the toilet bowl. It was forensically proven that toilet bowls are specifically designed so that no adult human can drown in a toilet bowl accidentally. They would have to have their head held down into the water. So, unless you are actually murdered via a toilet bowl, there is a slightly higher chance of you winning the Nair lotto.

I sit my bare butt on public toilet seats. I have never once in my 52 years of life gotten a rash, or an STD, or any kind of bacterial infection. NOT ONCE. I am trying to think of what could be so concerning about shampoo bottle being tampered with? Who would even think to do that?

Last two hotels I stayed in did away with the individual bottles of shampoo etc. and had big pump bottles. Sounds like the "tamper" proof labels are not very tamper proof.

If your going for a pre-night stay, I suggest taking those toiletries, and ask housekeeping for extra as well before you go on board the ship.

Tamper evident seals can be purchased online... so if someone really wants to fill your shampoo with a foreign substance, a seal isn't going to prevent it.

Just returned from 2 days at AKL followed by the NYE cruise on the Fantasy.

Shower supplies were in large tamper resistant containers at AKL mounted to the wall inside the shower. Body lotion was still a small disposable tube.

On the cruise the shower supplies and body lotion were in large glass bottles held on a shelf with a short ledge (agree with PP re poor idea to have glass bottles not attached to anything!). Bar soap provided for the sink (so you could always ask for another one for the shower if that’s your preference).

I have no concerns about the toiletries. No bigger chance, in my mind, of shipboard toiletries being a tempered with than the bottles of shampoo at the drug store. Most of those don’t have seals either and I trust my fellow humans not to have messed with them.

Regarding the OP... I had the same experience regarding the stickers on the Fantasy in November. I bring my own toiletries, too. I do wish DCL would provide a bar of soap for the shower, so I will just bring one from home. It's wasteful, however, because I will end up tossing the used bar as opposed to attempting to pack it. A small bar in a paper box seems like a reasonable expectation. Oh well.

They will bring you a bar of soap for your shower if you ask. We sailed on the Fantasy this past summer and there was 1 bar of soap in the room with the toilet. We use both sinks and called to ask for 2 more bars of soap, one for the other sink, and one for the shower. They tried to tell me to use the body wash, but it is mentholated and not something that you should use on sensitive skin areas. They did bring me more bar soap after I insisted. But seriously, how much does a bar of soap cost that this is an issue when you are paying over $6000 on a cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter