No tamper-proof seals on shampoo on Wonder

Sure. But to say that its ok, because those of us with dermal allergies aren’t eating it, is extremely hypocritical and kinda douchey. We are no less worthy of protection, and our concerns no leas valid than those of peanut or shellfish.
Factory contaminated products are extremely rare, however icecream lickers, shampoo urniators, Nair Spikers, and other assorted adam henries, are not. Tell me, do you check your kids Halloween candy?

I have never checked the Halloween candy. I am more concerned that I might be killed by a lousy driver.

You are mistaken. There are not a lot of psycho people out there who give out tampered with candy on Halloween or candy with razor blades. It has happened zero times. One time a child was poisoned with Halloween candy, but it turned out his father did it, assuming that police would blame the phantom stranger. That is the one time it has ever happened in the U.S. “Some kids in one town, I forget the name” is not evidence to the contrary. And a high school prank is just that.

Thousands of kids killed by cars running them over on Halloween. One or two kids injured by tampered candy. Why do people only worry about the later rather than the former?

I have never checked the Halloween candy. I am more concerned that I might be killed by a lousy driver.
Well, we definitely check the candy. Anything not factory sealed or not made in the USA gets tossed. But I grew up in one of the most dangerous cities in the US. So I am aware that evil exists.

Well, we definitely check the candy. Anything not factory sealed or not made in the USA gets tossed. But I grew up in one of the most dangerous cities in the US. So I am aware that evil exists.

Most the evil exists on the roads. 40,000 people killed and millions injured every year.

People should realize that Nair (or any other depilatory cream): (1) has a very strong smell that could not possibly be mistaken as shampoo; (2) doesn’t have a shampoo-like consistency nor does it lather like shampoo; and (3) doesn’t instantly dissolve hair but has to be left on for 6-8 minutes.

So, if someone for some bizarre reason chose to contaminate your shampoo with hair removal cream, you would know immediately by smell and texture. And then, with no lather, you would further realize something was wrong. Moreover, presumably you wouldn’t leave an unknown and suspicious substance on your hair for 5 minutes while you figure out what it was.

If it is a concern, I recommend bringing your own shampoo etc. Just like I do for hotels.

The more concerning thing to me is the broken glass bottle. And, frankly, the room steward should have caught and fixed that.

I get being upset that DCL said there would be tamper proof labels but when you really think about it any tamper proof label that is robust enough to be OK in a shower situation is going to be something that could be peeled off and replaced. Or someone could steal a stack of fresh labels from the room steward cart, contaminate the bottle and use a fresh label since the room stewards would need access to fresh labels each time they fill something.

Yeah, I guess someone could put something kind of gross in a container but it would be so dilute that it really wouldnt be that big of a deal or it would be immediately identifiable as the wrong stuff, just like...

People should realize that Nair (or any other depilatory cream): (1) has a very strong smell that could not possibly be mistaken as shampoo; (2) doesn’t have a shampoo-like consistency nor does it lather like shampoo; and (3) doesn’t instantly dissolve hair but has to be left on for 6-8 minutes.

So, if someone for some bizarre reason chose to contaminate your shampoo with hair removal cream, you would know immediately by smell and texture. And then, with no lather, you would further realize something was wrong. Moreover, presumably you wouldn’t leave an unknown and suspicious substance on your hair for 5 minutes while you figure out what it was.

If it is a concern, I recommend bringing your own shampoo etc. Just like I do for hotels.

This is exactly what I thought about the Nair myth. Nair can get pricey, Id probably buy a bottle of water, empty it and fill the water bottle with Nair to bring home. LOL

You are mistaken. There are not a lot of psycho people out there who give out tampered with candy on Halloween or candy with razor blades. It has happened zero times. One time a child was poisoned with Halloween candy, but it turned out his father did it, assuming that police would blame the phantom stranger. That is the one time it has ever happened in the U.S. “Some kids in one town, I forget the name” is not evidence to the contrary. And a high school prank is just that.
That is just fake news designed to whip people up into a frenzy.
You are both “mistaken” it happened 2 times last halloween alone

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/01/us/razor-blades-ohio-candy-halloween-trnd/index.html

You are both “mistaken” it happened 2 times last halloween alone

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/01/us/razor-blades-ohio-candy-halloween-trnd/index.html

Given that the incident level was low in both cases (only one person or two kids ToTing together), it sounds much more likely that these were targeted instances. If someone were interested in causing mass havoc it seems likely that more than one piece of candy would be tampered with. I'd still put these under the category of Urban Legend. Even the article you linked to states "A 2014 review of reports of "Halloween sadism" found no children had died or been seriously injured from purported Halloween poisonings or planted razors.".

Not that I see a direct correlation to tampering with shampoo bottles. However I still think that any tampering would be immediately evident or so dilute it wouldnt matter. Low to zero risk. The odds of being harmed in the car ride to the cruise ship are much higher.

Given that the incident level was low in both cases (only one person or two kids ToTing together), it sounds much more likely that these were targeted instances. If someone were interested in causing mass havoc it seems likely that more than one piece of candy would be tampered with. I'd still put these under the category of Urban Legend. Even the article you linked to states "A 2014 review of reports of "Halloween sadism" found no children had died or been seriously injured from purported Halloween poisonings or planted razors.".
How can you classify something that actually happened as Urban Legend? It happened, no myth here. Also, as to no children having been seriously injured or died, could that not be due to the diligence of parents checking candy as opposed to no tampering? I mean, I just googled candy tampering and there are several incidents listed. It happens.

How can you classify something that actually happened as Urban Legend? It happened, no myth here. Also, as to no children having been seriously injured or died, could that not be due to the diligence of parents checking candy as opposed to no tampering? I mean, I just googled candy tampering and there are several incidents listed. It happens.
But thousands of children have been killed or injured by car accidents on Halloween. We do very little to prevent that

I don’t understand why people think this is such a big issue.
Don’t you think if it was a problem we would have seen shampoo bottles tampered with in stores, hand soap messed with in public restrooms. Also when they had the little bottles people could have done something and then left a full bottle in the cabin. If they were full I don’t think they would throw them away

I suspect I am in the minority on this but honestly this really doesn't bother me. I guess my general thinking is if this is a concern and/or if there are allergies bring something with you.

I don't think you are in the minority. I think that the unconcerned majority also mostly don't care enough to comment. Or even think twice about it.

And for what little it's worth, I don't check my kids' Halloween candy either. For the same reason I let them go to the park alone and don't worry that they will be abducted. In either case, the risk that they will be injured is not non-zero, but it's also not even close to the greatest risk they run on a daily basis. I let my kids ski, ride horses, swim, ride in motor vehicles, and do any number of other things that are far more likely to kill them than eating Halloween candy - all without losing a moment's sleep.

I'm not sure where this comes into anything I said but ….. okay.

Because if people are going to worry about something at least worry about things that are in the top 10 activities likely to cause you harm. Why worry about contaminated Halloween Candy or contaminated shampoo on your Disney cruise which probably rank 7,713,134 and 9,342,104 respectively.

Because if people are going to worry about something at least worry about things that are in the top 10 activities likely to cause you harm. Why worry about contaminated Halloween Candy or contaminated shampoo on your Disney cruise which probably rank 7,713,134 and 9,342,104 respectively.
But where did I say I was worried about any of it? My comments where about calling something that happened an Urban Legend. If it happened, even once, it can’t be an Urban Legend.
Maybe you mean to quote someone else? Just don’t put words in my mouth, I said nothing about being worried.

But where did I say I was worried about any of it? My comments where about calling something that happened an Urban Legend. If it happened, even once, it can’t be an Urban Legend.
Maybe you mean to quote someone else? Just don’t put words in my mouth, I said nothing about being worried.
You never did say that you were concerned. Are you concerned?

I don't believe classifying an event as an Urban Legend is a binary choice. The classification is way more variable than it is or it isn't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter