No tamper-proof seals on shampoo on Wonder

If I was that concerned about cross contamination of my child's food because of the kitchen conditions, I would bring my own food (obviously, couldn't do it on a Disney Cruise, so I would look for different trip options - and did that for many years due to a family member's allergies). If I was concerned the shampoo could cause a problem, I would bring my own shampoo.

I just don't think this is a realistic problem to have with these new bottles. But, maybe I will be proven wrong one day when a passenger loses his or her hair because they happen to be in a cabin previously inhabited by a psycho and don't instantly notice the difference between shampoo and Nair like most people would. If I happen to be that passenger who wins the unlucky Nair lotto, oh well. I will recover. When I think of the many realistic risks in life, this has to be near the bottom. I would bet drowning in a toilet is significantly more likely.

But my issue is also that Disney *said* they would be providing tamper-proof bottles and then are not.

I would have brought my own product, but I understood that the provided products would be tamper-proof. So if Disney had just said publicly, too bad for you - take it or leave it - that would be one thing. But it is entirely different that they are making *zero* effort into complying with the standards and expectations that *they* set.

I had not seen a thread on this topic before, and knew the single use bottles had gone away, but understood the new bottles would be secured. How is one to know? I didn't just make up the standard myself.

But my issue is also that Disney *said* they would be providing tamper-proof bottles and then are not.

I would have brought my own product, but I understood that the provided products would be tamper-proof. So if Disney had just said publicly, too bad for you - take it or leave it - that would be one thing. But it is entirely different that they are making *zero* effort into complying with the standards and expectations that *they* set.

Ok - I get that complaint. Disney should be doing what they said they would do. Otherwise, people can't plan ahead for their needs.

But what if one of us told a food allergy mom, she needed to bring all her own food for her kid, because you know, its so remote a possibility and oh well, or your concerns are not as valid as mine, so quite down? There’d be some table flippin in these here parts.

I do not think that these two scenarios are the same. People need to eat multiple times a day, and bringing on your own food would be a significant hardship, especially as some might need to be refrigerated.

Packing your own toiletries is a much less involved process. People bring on their own toiletries for a variety of reasons including allergies, preference for certain scents, and how certain hair products work on their hair.

Sure. But to say that its ok, because those of us with dermal allergies aren’t eating it, is extremely hypocritical and kinda douchey. We are no less worthy of protection, and our concerns no leas valid than those of peanut or shellfish.
Factory contaminated products are extremely rare, however icecream lickers, shampoo urniators, Nair Spikers, and other assorted adam henries, are not. Tell me, do you check your kids Halloween candy?

I'm not sure I get the comparison. DCL does not serve tamper-proof factory-sealed food to customers with allergies; they state on their website there is still a risk of contamination:

"While we take steps to prevent cross-contact, we do not have separate allergy-friendly kitchens and are unable to guarantee that a menu item is completely free of allergens.
Please also note that our allergy-friendly offerings are reliant on supplier ingredient labels, and we cannot guarantee the accuracy of the contents of each food item. Allergen advisory statements (e.g., "may contain") are not regulated and therefore not taken into consideration when developing allergy-friendly meals.

"

As they go on to say, it is really up to the guest whether they are comfortable with contamination risk: "
It is ultimately up to your discretion to make an informed choice based upon their individual dietary needs."

I don't check my kids Halloween candy, actually. Again, the risk is so small as to be statistically non-distinguishable from zero.

I don't check my kids Halloween candy, actually. Again, the risk is so small as to be statistically non-distinguishable from zero.

Also, the whole Halloween candy scare from many of our childhoods was almost completely made up. See "How Americans Became Convinced Their Halloween Candy was Poisoned"

But, the overall point is that we, as humans, do a terrible job of assessing actual risk. The internet and media have amplified this problem ten fold. The actual danger to anyone using the same pump bottle as the last three guests is almost certainly close to zero. I would think cross-contamination would be very small too, but easily avoided by bringing your own shampoo.

I do agree however with the OP that Disney should either stop saying the bottles will have tamper-proof labels or do what the said they would do. That is a reasonable expectation.

I think if you're concerned that someone would tamper with the products, that's completely different than being concerned because you have skin allergies. I have skin allergies and can only use certain products. I always bring my own products from home and never use them at a hotel because I would break out in hives. If I need to do laundry, I have to bring my own detergent along otherwise I will break out in hives. I don't see this as a problem at all or feel that the hotel/cruise should provide something to suit my allergies, that would be impossible. If someone's putting Nair in the shampoo or conditioner bottles, then I think that's a different concern. But hey, I have insane amounts of hair so maybe that would help me out! ;)

Aaaand this is the reason I will bring my own from now. Absolutely no interest in these 'communal' bottles. I know it sounds paranoid saying someone might have put something in these, and I am not even that big of a germophobe but it's just a no from me thanks.

On the Halloween Candy thing. Just this past year some kids in one town in Massachusetts(the name evades me now, but close to where I live) Found razor blades in some candy from several children's bags. My mom always went through my candy. I was before the time of having it X-rayed. My sister's brought their kids to the police station to have the candy X-rayed. In this day and age I would be checking my kids candy if I had any kids. There are a lot of psycho people out there that do that kind of thing.

This made me remember a incident from my high school. My school was a small private school and we had a school wide breakfast where students and staff would bring in breakfast foods and juices. My friend asked me if his orange juice smelled bad. I smelled it and it smelled funny. I said he shouldn't drink it and let the teachers know. We found out that some popular kids brought in a container from home with orange juice and vodka in it. There we a lot of kids that took medication for certain illnesses and if they hadn't caught it in time a lot of the student could have gotten seriously ill. Mixing their medication with the vodka could have killed them. I heard the popular kids thought it was funny and laughed about it all week in an in-house detention.

So you see things like this happen. Just thought I'd share. I will be bringing my own product just like every vacation I go on. :rolleyes1

You are mistaken. There are not a lot of psycho people out there who give out tampered with candy on Halloween or candy with razor blades. It has happened zero times. One time a child was poisoned with Halloween candy, but it turned out his father did it, assuming that police would blame the phantom stranger. That is the one time it has ever happened in the U.S. “Some kids in one town, I forget the name” is not evidence to the contrary. And a high school prank is just that.

You are mistaken. There are not a lot of psycho people out there who give out tampered with candy on Halloween or candy with razor blades. It has happened zero times. One time a child was poisoned with Halloween candy, but it turned out his father did it, assuming that police would blame the phantom stranger. That is the one time it has ever happened in the U.S. “Some kids in one town, I forget the name” is not evidence to the contrary. And a high school prank is just that.

You are calling me a liar. These are the facts I can remember. It was in a town in Massachusetts. It was broadcast on WCVB Channel 5 news. It was on the news for several days multiple times a day after Halloween. I don't like being called a liar so I have given the facts I know and will end it here. Have a nice cruise. :flower3:

Gross. Sounds like a lot of you haven’t spent time with teenagers. They get up to all kinds of ridiculousness. It is shameful that Dcl basically has open containers of shampoo and soap in cabins.

Sounds like a lot of you haven’t spent time with teenagers. They get up to all kinds of ridiculousness.
Not just teenagers. When I was a church youth adviser, there were times we had to check/fix the sugar and salt containers in several restaurants after taking the middle school age group out for dinners.

But don't 'cha know? "it's just fun"

Lol I wish I believed no one would ever put something unscrupulous in a shampoo dispenser.

I'm just bringing my own - I don't do communal hygiene products unless they are locked - like at the Disney resorts.

I suspect I am in the minority on this but honestly this really doesn't bother me. I guess my general thinking is if this is a concern and/or if there are allergies bring something with you.

I agree. I don't understand what the issue is here.

You are calling me a liar. These are the facts I can remember. It was in a town in Massachusetts. It was broadcast on WCVB Channel 5 news. It was on the news for several days multiple times a day after Halloween. I don't like being called a liar so I have given the facts I know and will end it here. Have a nice cruise. :flower3:

That is just fake news designed to whip people up into a frenzy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter