No tamper-proof seals on shampoo on Wonder

laceltris3

DIS Veteran
We just got off the Wonder and I was prepared for no more individual bottles of shampoo and conditioner. What I was not prepared for was that we would not have a single of the promised tamper-proof seals on any of the products in either of our two staterooms. The seals that were there on some of the products had been broken or missing for quite some time as the words were scratched off. On one of them, the glass bottle was broken off where the cap screws on, and there could literally have been glass shards in it. When I went to guest services, they said it would be addressed, and then I received an app message saying it had been taken care of, but it hadn't. I had another call with guest services and then spoke with the deck manager as well. They did not seem to understand what I wanted. Eventually seals were placed on the products, but I did not exactly have high confidence that they hadn't just placed the labels now on the products that had been there. When the seals were applied, they were put on in the wrong direction (The words "tamper" and "proof" were perpendicular to the joint of the cap and bottle, not parallel, where they are supposed to split if the bottle is opened).

I just want to say that I 1000% do not fault our kind and diligent stateroom host. He literally had not been provided seals or instructed on how they should be used. I am sure that 99.9999999% of the time the product will be fine, but it isn't exactly hard to see where someone either as a prank or maliciously could contaminate the products to make them unsafe. I am a bit of a germophobe on the ships, because I had children catch noro when they were younger, but I see the failure to keep the promise to make the new bottles tamper-proof as a safety and sanitation issue. I am all for reducing unnecessary plastic waste as well, but if they aren't going to secure the products as promised, then perhaps they need to change to dispensers attached to the shower walls that can be locked, as is done on other cruise lines and some hotels.

I would absolutely contact DCL and make your complaint and I would also like to see the product secured if possible. As you said though, 99.9999% of the time nothing is going to happen. My guess is if anything they open the bottles and fill containers to take home and that is why the label would be broken. If this is a serious concern for you or anyone else despite that I would recommend bringing your own product for peace of mind.

I 100% get where you're coming from. :crazy2:

I can only use certain body wash and PABA free shampoo, so I carry my own whenever I travel.
Not a fan of these pump things. On our PC cruise on The Wonder In Feb. my husband said the pump was awful, he had to push a bunch of times to get soap out.

I had the same issue on our WBTA in September. I mentioned it to DCL as well. I would prefer to know the last guest didn't contaminate the product. We travel with someone with allergies to certain products, and it was uncomfortable just having to assume the shampoo wasn't accidentally mixed with someones product from home.

(As a side note we had similar issues now that the Rainforest room is allowing people to bring in their own body scrubs. You can't check whats in those scrubs like you can the Disney supplied ones)

I had the same issue on our WBTA in September. I mentioned it to DCL as well. I would prefer to know the last guest didn't contaminate the product. We travel with someone with allergies to certain products, and it was uncomfortable just having to assume the shampoo wasn't accidentally mixed with someones product from home.

(As a side note we had similar issues now that the Rainforest room is allowing people to bring in their own body scrubs. You can't check whats in those scrubs like you can the Disney supplied ones)

I don't understand the big concern here, and we have had serious allergies in our house. How in the world would someone accidently mix their home shampoo with the pump bottle? You would have to unscrew the lid on it, have it off, and somehow put some of your other shampoo in there. I don't think that would ever happen.

I also don't understand the big concern about contamination. We aren't eating the stuff and it seems so unlikely anyone would do anything other than push the pump and use the product. Maybe I am missing something?

it seems so unlikely anyone would do anything other than push the pump and use the product. Maybe I am missing something?
There are people out there who think it's "fun" to put things like Nair in shampoo bottles. That's the concern with multi-use bottles. Just want to be sure things are ok to use.

Personally, I find it yucky to be using the same bottle/product as the last 3 (or more) occupants of a room.

I don't understand the big concern here, and we have had serious allergies in our house. How in the world would someone accidently mix their home shampoo with the pump bottle? You would have to unscrew the lid on it, have it off, and somehow put some of your other shampoo in there. I don't think that would ever happen.

I also don't understand the big concern about contamination. We aren't eating the stuff and it seems so unlikely anyone would do anything other than push the pump and use the product. Maybe I am missing something?
How in the world would someone mix in say, a bottle of Nair, with the conditioner? How could someone taint lolipops with the Measles virus and then repackage them and hand them out for Halloween, all the while bragging about it on social media. I’d like to think people aren’t total psychos, but they are, because both of these things have happened.

And some people are allergic to topicals in a way that your family is allergic to food. Would you like your kid’s snacks cross contaminated with peanuts, eggs, or dairy with no way to tell the difference? No you would not. You would flip shiz if your kid had an anaphylactic reaction in an MDR from a contaminated plate, and you would place the blame on DCL, not the person consuming the product.
I personally don’t use the H2O products because I think they dry my skin and smell like a old lady perfume, but the people who are concerned about product tampering and contamination, for any reason, are not wrong.

There are people out there who think it's "fun" to put things like Nair in shampoo bottles. That's the concern with multi-use bottles. Just want to be sure things are ok to use.

Personally, I find it yucky to be using the same bottle/product as the last 3 (or more) occupants of a room.
I have heard of this as a concern but I have never actually heard of it happening. It probably has but still. Again, I suspect I am in the minority on this.

I have heard of this as a concern but I have never actually heard of it happening. It probably has but still. Again, I suspect I am in the minority on this.
Sure, it's in the minority. But, if you're the one hit by the "jokester" doing it, it's not fun. It's happened (not on DCL, yet).

I suspect I am in the minority on this but honestly this really doesn't bother me. I guess my general thinking is if this is a concern and/or if there are allergies bring something with you.

i’m not bothered either. To me, this is similar to the soap dispensers in public bathrooms. There are a number of things that are shared on board. The condiment dispensers by the quick food places, the boxes of Kleenex and rolls of toilet paper in the public bathrooms. For that matter the boxes of Kleenex in the rolls of toilet paper in the cabin bathrooms. Is having toiletries that only your family uses is important, then just bring your own.

i’m not bothered either. To me, this is similar to the soap dispensers in public bathrooms. There are a number of things that are shared on board. The condiment dispensers by the quick food places, the boxes of Kleenex and rolls of toilet paper in the public bathrooms. For that matter the boxes of Kleenex in the rolls of toilet paper in the cabin bathrooms. Is having toiletries that only your family uses is important, then just bring your own.
I guess that is why I do not think it is a big deal because this is something that is easily avoided. If you do not want to use them then don't.

How in the world would someone mix in say, a bottle of Nair, with the conditioner? How could someone taint lolipops with the Measles virus and then repackage them and hand them out for Halloween, all the while bragging about it on social media. I’d like to think people aren’t total psychos, but they are, because both of these things have happened.

And some people are allergic to topicals in a way that your family is allergic to food. Would you like your kid’s snacks cross contaminated with peanuts, eggs, or dairy with no way to tell the difference? No you would not. You would flip shiz if your kid had an anaphylactic reaction in an MDR from a contaminated plate, and you would place the blame on DCL, not the person consuming the product.
I personally don’t use the H2O products because I think they dry my skin and smell like a old lady perfume, but the people who are concerned about product tampering and contamination, for any reason, are not wrong.

Well, sure, and someone in a factory or in housekeeping could contaminate individually sealed shampoo bottles too. Or someone in the DCL galley could spit or sneeze or put contaminants in my food. Or someone could stalk and murder me on the cruise by throwing me overboard. It's all just too remote a possibility for me to spend any time worrying about it on my vacation.

P.S. there are plenty of public restrooms that have non-tamper proof hand soaps too. But I'm more likely to get sick from not washing my hands than I am by using the soap.

Well, sure, and someone in a factory or in housekeeping could contaminate individually sealed shampoo bottles too. Or someone in the DCL galley could spit or sneeze or put contaminants in my food. Or someone could stalk and murder me on the cruise by throwing me overboard. It's all just too remote a possibility for me to spend any time worrying about it on my vacation.

P.S. there are plenty of public restrooms that have non-tamper proof hand soaps too. But I'm more likely to get sick from not washing my hands than I am by using the soap.
Sure. But to say that its ok, because those of us with dermal allergies aren’t eating it, is extremely hypocritical and kinda douchey. We are no less worthy of protection, and our concerns no leas valid than those of peanut or shellfish.
Factory contaminated products are extremely rare, however icecream lickers, shampoo urniators, Nair Spikers, and other assorted adam henries, are not. Tell me, do you check your kids Halloween candy?

Sure. But to say that its ok, because those of us with dermal allergies aren’t eating it, is extremely hypocritical and kinda douchey. We are no less worthy of protection, and our concerns no leas valid than those of peanut or shellfish.
Factory contaminated products are extremely rare, however icecream lickers, shampoo urniators, Nair Spikers, and other assorted adam henries, are not. Tell me, do you check your kids Halloween candy?
You have every right to be concerned and I completely understand the reason for the concern but if this were the situation for me I would bring my own which I suspect is probably needed anyway if there are derm concerns.

You have every right to be concerned and I completely understand the reason for the concern but if this were the situation for me I would bring my own which I suspect is probably needed anyway if there are derm concerns.
I actually do.
But what if one of us told a food allergy mom, she needed to bring all her own food for her kid, because you know, its so remote a possibility and oh well, or your concerns are not as valid as mine, so quite down? There’d be some table flippin in these here parts.

For my part, I’ll still bring my plastic single trip travel bottles, with my own products, which I will toss in the trash and will end up in a landfill. Because I know the nature and quality of human beings and it aint always awesome.

If I was that concerned about cross contamination of my child's food because of the kitchen conditions, I would bring my own food (obviously, couldn't do it on a Disney Cruise, so I would look for different trip options - and did that for many years due to a family member's allergies). If I was concerned the shampoo could cause a problem, I would bring my own shampoo.

I just don't think this is a realistic problem to have with these new bottles. But, maybe I will be proven wrong one day when a passenger loses his or her hair because they happen to be in a cabin previously inhabited by a psycho and don't instantly notice the difference between shampoo and Nair like most people would. If I happen to be that passenger who wins the unlucky Nair lotto, oh well. I will recover. When I think of the many realistic risks in life, this has to be near the bottom. I would bet drowning in a toilet is significantly more likely.

For my part, I’ll still bring my plastic single trip travel bottles, with my own products, which I will toss in the trash and will end up in a landfill. Because I know the nature and quality of human beings and it aint always awesome.
[/QUOTE]
No that is not necessary, you can buy the small refillable bottles that they sell at almost all pharmacies. That is what I often do.

You really don't see a difference? You can't take a Disney cruise while bringing your own food, and it is a huge part of the expense of what you are paying for. But for $3, you can bring you own shampoo and solve the problem, while not missing anything material from the cruise. Huge difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter