No Appetizers for Kids on DDP!

Here's my take on it: If you don't think the particular restaurant you are eating in abides to the rules as you interpret them -- DON'T EAT THERE! Plain and simple. If you want your child to have an appetizer go to one that provides them for the kids. If you want dessert with your CS -- don't do the turkey leg!

disneymom3 said:
How are they cheating the customer? The customer is making a CHOICE to use their credit there. No one is saying they HAVE to. Maybe some people make that choice knowing that they wouldn't eat the dessert anyway but really wanting a turkey leg and not wanting to pay OOP for it.

Ok, so I'll consent that the customer has a choice, but it's still cheating Disney. Disney is paying the restaurant a fixed amount. That amount was calculated based on the restaurant providing the customer 3 items...a meal, a dessert, and a drink. If the restaurant isn't providing the dessert, yet still accepts full reimbursement from Disney, then it sure seems like cheating.

Again, I'm sure the restaurant would make the argument that the chips are dessert, even though chips are generally considered a "side dish" when served with lunch.

I'm laughing that this discussion is still going on! If that CS place doesn't give me my dessert, they can stick there turkey leg you know where!

formernyer said:
Ok, so I'll consent that the customer has a choice, but it's still cheating Disney. Disney is paying the restaurant a fixed amount. That amount was calculated based on the restaurant providing the customer 3 items...a meal, a dessert, and a drink. If the restaurant isn't providing the dessert, yet still accepts full reimbursement from Disney, then it sure seems like cheating.

Again, I'm sure the restaurant would make the argument that the chips are dessert, even though chips are generally considered a "side dish" when served with lunch.

I think that CS restaurant is owned by Disney. CS don't come with a "side dish", if the meal is a "combo" that includes chips then you get chips. Earl of Sandwich doesn't include chips, they're priced a la carte.

If I don't like a menu I'll eat somewhere else.

Just as an FYI, the menus on allearsnet are not completely accurate. Often Deb leaves off the beverage section on the menu - even on the adult menus - but we know they are there.

To the best of my recollection, all TS kids menus have beverages - because the size is different from the adult beverage and they need to list price for all those guests who pay out of pocket. However, I could be mistaken.

Lewisc said:
Unlike the character meals some of those restaurants, NOT INCLUDING LE CELLIER, aren't always packed. MYW Dining customers are helping fill tables that otherwise might be empty.

Not to be argumentative, but pre dining plan most of those places were packed. We've been turned away plenty from restaraunts before the dining plan when we tried to wing it. The exceptions used to be Akershus (before princesses) and Marrakesh - and Marrakesh wasn't overcrowded last trip which was when the dining plan was active. They aren't selling the DP to fill restaruants, they are selling it to fill hotel rooms.

crisi said:
Not to be argumentative, but pre dining plan most of those places were packed. We've been turned away plenty from restaraunts before the dining plan when we tried to wing it. The exceptions used to be Akershus (before princesses) and Marrakesh - and Marrakesh wasn't overcrowded last trip which was when the dining plan was active. They aren't selling the DP to fill restaruants, they are selling it to fill hotel rooms.

Not to nitpick but Disney is selling the dining plan to fill rack rate hotel rooms but the WS restaurants are accepting the plan to keep their restaurants full.

Le Cellier has been packed for years but even Chefs De France had reasonable availability in the off peak season.

INDISMOM said:
Here's my take on it: If you don't think the particular restaurant you are eating in abides to the rules as you interpret them -- DON'T EAT THERE! Plain and simple. If you want your child to have an appetizer go to one that provides them for the kids.

I think this is ok in theory, but doesn't work at WDW. Most restaurants require an ADR upto 90 days in advance. I can't possibly know what each restaurant includes in the meal, which server gives me what and who will serve me that time. If I ask that day, where would I go to eat if I am not pleased? For CS, there may be other places close by if you are in the parks, but TS is impossible to change the day of. I know this, because we were at WDW last year during free dining and most ADRs were taken with no walk ins accepted.

I am not concerned with if my child gets a shrimp coctail or a huge plate of nachos she will never finish. But I do think the rules are unclear leaving it up to the individual interpretation of a restaurant and CM.

I also understood the rule about children to be that a child must order from a kids menu first. If none is available (be it drink, entree or dessert) a child can choose from the adult menu. That is my understanding, don't know if it's right or wrong.

Moderator - please, Please, PLEASE close this thread! It's like a car wreck. I know I shouldn't look, but I can't help myself. So help me out here!!

Also, my husband will thank you if I have one less thread to read!!

:rotfl: :rotfl:
These DDP threads get heated fast. I learned that on my thread.
So they don't have a kids appetizer. I wouldn't expect it with a kids meal anyway. Desserts another story.
Most of us are two adults using a credit each. Here's an idea, order two different appetizers and everyone share!! :sunny: The restaurants that we've eaten at there have always been generous with their servings.
Who wants to fill up on appy's when you still have dinner and a dessert coming? :goodvibes

To change the subject: back to children's appetizers. The children's menus are very limited. I do believe it should include an appetizer. Not every child can eat Mac and Cheese 7 day straight. At home my daughers would often eat an adult appetizer as their dinner, the selection is often better. I'm unsure what we will do when it comes to our dining experience when we go in May, but quite frankly if my daughter wants something off the adult menu instead of children's then I'll pay oop and use her credit elsewhere. I'm not going to let her go hungry just because she is sick of Mac & Cheese. And that may mean I'll use her credit later for my meal. Adult price and all.
Most restrauant we have choosen are buffets to assure she will get a decent healthy meal. And Yes she will be required to eat her vegtables.

Denise

I am curious about this as well as we are going to Disney in August and will be on the plan. I just called Disney Dining and the CM I spoke with said that if a child's appitizer is on the "Child's Menu" then they are entitled to it, if not, then one is not included, they cannot get one off ther adult menu.

PreppyPolyMom said:
I am curious about this as well as we are going to Disney in August and will be on the plan. I just called Disney Dining and the CM I spoke with said that if a child's appitizer is on the "Child's Menu" then they are entitled to it, if not, then one is not included, they cannot get one off ther adult menu.

That's the rule, some CMs at some restaurants will allow a child an adult appetizer. Some restaurants have added kids appetizers, maybe just a salad, even though it may not appear on the unofficial internet menus.

mlwear said:
Yf my AR's have child apps. offered, anyway. Has anyone taken the time to develop a list of TS's on DDP that have child apps and those that don't? Now that's a rainy day project :teeth:

It gets more complicated though that many restaurants didn't list child apps on the menu but didn't allow kids to order adult apps because they considered the grapes/carrot/strawberry/apple sauce that was served with the nuggets, mac and cheese, etc to be the appetizer even though it wasn't served with the adult apps. At least that was how it was explained to us at all our places where the kids didn't get any app of any kind.

Yvonne

Originally Posted by mlwear
Yf my AR's have child apps. offered, anyway. Has anyone taken the time to develop a list of TS's on DDP that have child apps and those that don't? Now that's a rainy day project
Yes someone has. And that someone would like any and all reports on your actual experience at places that did not have child appetizers too.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1083337

formernyer said:
I certainly won't waste my time pulling up every kid's menu to check, but I just pulled up 7 random kid's menus and 6 did not list drinks.
It should be noted that not all the menus posted on allearsnet.com list beverages - ALL Disney counter service and table service restaurants actually DO sell beverages.

kaytieeldr said:
It should be noted that not all the menus posted on allearsnet.com list beverages - ALL Disney counter service and table service restaurants actually DO sell beverages.

Yes, it should also be noted that when you are at Disney, just about all the kids menu state that they include a beverage.

Although allearsnet.com is an wonderful website that I love, they are not an official Disney website and their menus are not always complete or have the latest official info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter