No Appetizers for Kids on DDP!

lnb1230

Mouseketeer
We just returned from a fun-filled week at Disney. We were on the Dining Plan and were a little surprised by some of the restrictions placed on the kids meals. I had always read where kids were able to get an appetizer off of the adult's menu if there was not one listed on their menu. We found this NOT to be the case. At Whispering Canyon, Alfredos, and Wolfgang Pucks we were told that since they did not have one on their kids menu, that they were not entitled to one. This seemed to be a policy as each of the restaurants responded with the same reason. Also, at Alfredos we were told that the kids were only allowed to get the chocolate mouse dessert.

Corel Reef was the only restaurant that allowed the kids an appetizer and decent dessert. I have no problem with requiring kids to order off of the kids menu, but if the dining plan is supposed to include an appetizer then there should be one on the kids menu.

Fortunately, there was so much food with what we ordered that noone went even remotely hungry. I think it just bugged me in principle.

That stinks!! If there is not an appetizer on the children's menu they should be able to get one off the adult menu. No where in the dining information does it say it has to be on the children's menu or else you do not get one!! :sad2: Does anyone know of any restaurants that allow a child to pick an appetizer from the adult menu?? :confused3 My DD is not a big eater, but if a TS is suppose to include an appetizer, entree, drink & dessert, it should!! :sunny:

Disney needs to crack down on this...either change the wording of their DDP literature or require the restaurants to offer some sort of appetizer.

The literature is very clear:

--One table-service meal (including appetizer, entree, dessert, or full buffet, non-alcoholic beverage, and gratuity/service charge; dessert not available at breakfast)

(Note that children age 3-9 must choose from a children's menu, if one is available.)​

By definition, each TS meal includes an appetizer. The exclusion for children ages 3-9 would require the child to eat off of the children's menu, but just because that menu doesn't offer an appetizer or dessert doesn't mean the child isn't entitled to it.

If Disney was smart they'd force the restaurants to have some sort of appetizer available to the kids. If they don't want to enforce that rule, then they really need to change the DDP literature to define an ADULT TS versus an CHILD'S TS.

The literature really isn't clear.

Note that children age 3-9 must choose from a children's menu, if one is available

It doesn't say that children get an adult appetizer if one is missing from the kids menu, the brochure is silent.

Disney has said the description (appetizer/entrée/dessert/drink) of a TS meal refers to what adults get to order, and that brochure goes on to limit children the child's menu, that provision serves to modify or restrict the previous sentence.

Some restaurants added a child appetizers, sometimes just a salad, good way to avoid complaints, some let kids order at least something form the adult menu and others say no appetizer.

I think Disney could end the confusion if the wording was changed to something like children are limited to ordering from the children's menu.

The plan, currently, allows using credits purchased at the child rate to be used to order adult meals. The restaurants don't charge a sharing charge. There is virtually no restriction of using credits paid for at the child rate to purchase adult CS meals. There are virtually no menu restrictions or surcharges.

I'd say the customers are getting the better end of the deal. Some of the parents are disappointed their kids can't get an appetizer but many were just hoping for an extra free shrimp cocktail.

The only place we were even asked if we wanted an appetizer for DD was at 50's Primetime. She would not have ate it anyways so we passed. To be honest, it never occured for me to ask for one for her.

Lewisc said:
Disney has said the description (appetizer/entrée/dessert/drink) of a TS meal refers to what adults get to order

Where does Disney say this? I'm not talking about some email that they sent a person who asked...I'm talking about where in the public literature does it say this? As best I can tell, all Disney does is define what a TS includes, and then adds a restriction that kids need to choose their items from a children's menu, if it is available.

that brochure goes on to limit children the child's menu, that provision serves to modify or restrict the previous sentence.

I agree, but only to the extent that each component of the TS is listed on the child's menu. The entree is not the only component of a TS credit. It also includes an appetizer, dessert, and beverage. Most children's menus don't explicitly list beverages. By your logic, Disney doesn't intend for kids to drink at those restaurants either. Let's make it even more extreme...why doesn't a restaurant just eliminate everything from the kid's menu EXCEPT for beverages. By your logic, that's all they would be entitled to for their TS credit.

If you can show me public literature distributed with the DDP where Disney states what you quoted above, then I'll stand corrected. This is the brochure which is distributed by Disney. http://adisneyworld.disney.go.com/m...gespecific/eng/nontheme/tickets/MYWDining.pdf It says that each PERSON is entitled to every component of the TS. It never stated that only adults get everything.

It seems like you're just doing your standard thread-crapping trying to be argumentative. If anybody doubts this, just do a search for posts by Lewisc. Almost every single one of them is either argumentative, inflammatory, or in some way negative.

I really wonder what people want for $10 a day. Some of the appitizers from the adult menu are half that! If you've gotten your $10 worth of food for your kid, the dining plan was a good deal for you.

crisi said:
I really wonder what people want for $10 a day. Some of the appitizers from the adult menu are half that! If you've gotten your $10 worth of food for your kid, the dining plan was a good deal for you.

I'm by no means complaining at the price for the plan versus what a child recieves. I'd have no issue with it at all if the plan stated that a child's TS is for entree and drink only, and appetizers/desserts are at the option of the individual restaurant. My problem is that Disney states, by definition, that a TS includes and appetizer and dessert, but then doesn't require the restaurants to provide it.

formernyer said:
It seems like you're just doing your standard thread-crapping trying to be argumentative. If anybody doubts this, just do a search for posts by Lewisc. Almost every single one of them is either argumentative, inflammatory, or in some way negative.

A person posted their experience regarding child appetizers. You're the poster who chose to debate that interpretation of the plan. Sorry but your post was argumentative. Don't start an discussion if you're not willing to accept the fact that others might not agree with you.

Add me to your ignore list.

Guests should understand, despite your previous post, that some restaurants don't offer appetizers to children. The fact that a server at Coral Reef allowed your child an adult appetizer doesn't mean that's the official Disney policy.

Your interpretation of the brochure is of no interest to us. Disney and some restaurants chose to interpret it differently than you do. I have no interest in debating your interpretation, in fact your interpretation isn't unreasonable, BUT many of us have no interest in having an argument with a server that doesn't allow a child an adult appetizer and continuing to post that the plan requires that children get an appetizer just isn't true. when several restaurants continue to interpret the plan differently than you do. Several people posted getting emails back from Disney. Disney basically said the listing of appetizer/entrée/drink/dessert referred to what an adult could order from the adult a la carte menu and that children are restricted to the child's menu. Personally I think they should spend the pennies it would take to offer a small salad or canned fruit cocktail to kids but they didn't ask my opinion.

Should a mac and cheese meal even come with an appetizer?

Some of your suggestions for families make a lot of sense. You gave us a few TS and CS restaurants that work out great for families that are sharing. Your idea of just ordering 2 meals and sharing it among 3 family members makes sense. BUT

Posters, including myself, aren't being argumentative or inflammatory when we correct the misinformation you post. Flame Tree BBQ has a children's menu, CRT did charge me for coffee, some restaurants don't give children an appetizer and Disney doesn't pay the tip for out of pocket menu items such as adult beverages. Some servers/restaurants add on the tip but it's not paid by Disney.

You keep telling the "ethics police" not to post but you really should try to get your facts straight when you post.

crisi said:

A few of those people, maybe even formernyer, think kids should just get an appetizer out of principle. Let the kids eat an appetizer when the adult eats his.

Some adults, none in this thread, made a game of selecting restaurants without child appetizers and then ordering extra shrimp cocktails. I agree it's unreasonable to expect a $10 appetizer when the plan cost $10-$11 for the entire day.

The plan is extremely generous; portions large enough for many to share, flexibility of using unused credits paid at the child rate for adult meals and almost every restaurant participates with very few menu exclusions.

It's never enough for some people.

crisi said:

I was thinking the same thing. It's only $10 a kid so what is the problem? What kid eats an appetizer, full meal, and dessert? Gosh, as a slightly overweight adult myself, there is no way I can even eat all that! LOL!

My kids would never eat the App's. But they will go after the deserts. So as long as the deserts are allowed for the kids, we are ok. Honestly, I was trying to justify ordering an app for my 3 year old. Why bother, he will never eat it.

My goodness! I can't believe how heated this has become. As the OP, I just wanted to let people know our experiences. By no means am I trying to make gluttons of my children. For our daughters, they were just excited about being able to order an appetizer and dessert like the grownups. As a mother, I was hoping to use the opportunity to expand their dining horizons from the typical hot dog, mac and cheese, and chicken nuggets that are unfortunately the staple of every Disney kids menu. At Primetime, they had Chicken Noodle Soup or a Salad as a kids appetizer. This was great because it gave the kids something healthy to eat, so that when the mac and cheese arrived, they weren't as interested. I certainly do not expect ten dollar adult appetizers for kids. I just think that they should have kids appetizers on the menu.

Although we knew that we could have "cheated" the system by using kid TS credits for adult meals, we made a conscious decision not to do so because it would be wrong. I don't think that because some people so-called cheat the system, that Disney should be able to not provide what they advertised to kids.

The point is that our family eats out often, not just on vacation. We let our children order apps. Disney should have an option for children. It is not about getting "another free shrimp cocktail" for the adults. My children would eat a shrimp cocktail. We have 2 adults and 3 children, 2 shrimpl cocktails would not be sufficient. Disney needs to have something for everyone, whether it is a salad or something else. I think offering salad is a cop-out on disney's part and I would be happier with a childs version of Mozz sticks or the like, but in either case something should be available. It is not about getting around the system. We did the plan before people started having all these issues and we will do it again. If Disney is trying to make people happy, why not have something for the kids.

Thank you for the informative diatribe, Lewisc, but you still didn't answer my question.

Where exactly does Disney state in the DDP literature what you've claimed?

Disney has said the description (appetizer/entrée/dessert/drink) of a TS meal refers to what adults get to order.

Like I already said, if your claim is correct than I apologize and will stand corrected. Otherwise, I find the literature misleading.

And once again, I'm not trying to say that kids should get an appetizer with the meal when they're only paying $10.99/day. All I'm saying is that Disney should either give them the appetizer or correct the false advertising.

Many of us appreciate posts from people who relate their actual experiences. Just because a CM at Coral Reef gave an adult appetizer to one family doesn't mean that's what all restaurants are required to offer.

I agree it's a shame more restaurants don't offer better menu choices for children.

FWIW the plan clearly permits you to use credits purchased at the child rate to purchase adult meals (to be consumed by adults). It's not the way I would have set up the plan but the wording in the brochure, prior meal plans and CM information all confirm this is the case. Disney can't have child and adult credits but rely on the guest to keep track of it; the computer system only keeps track of TS, CS and snack credits.

The child appetizer question is much more ambiguous and can be interpreted either way. Your point is excellent, the real issue is offering kids choices other than chicken fingers and mac/cheese. Concourse Steak House has a nice kids menu. Buffet restaurants are also a good option for kids that have adult tastes.

lnb1230 said:
My goodness! I can't believe how heated this has become. As the OP, I just wanted to let people know our experiences. By no means am I trying to make gluttons of my children. For our daughters, they were just excited about being able to order an appetizer and dessert like the grownups. As a mother, I was hoping to use the opportunity to expand their dining horizons from the typical hot dog, mac and cheese, and chicken nuggets that are unfortunately the staple of every Disney kids menu. At Primetime, they had Chicken Noodle Soup or a Salad as a kids appetizer. This was great because it gave the kids something healthy to eat, so that when the mac and cheese arrived, they weren't as interested. I certainly do not expect ten dollar adult appetizers for kids. I just think that they should have kids appetizers on the menu.

Although we knew that we could have "cheated" the system by using kid TS credits for adult meals, we made a conscious decision not to do so because it would be wrong. I don't think that because some people so-called cheat the system, that Disney should be able to not provide what they advertised to kids.

All that I know is when my DS8 eats a meal and desert and drink, he would not have enough room to eat an app. too lol

OR

If he wanted something I would order it myself and give it too him, usally I do not eat an app. entree and desert lol

In December my DD was considered a child. In all of the places we dined she was told to order her appetizer from the adult menu when no appetizer was present on the children's menu--we did not eat at any of the restaurants listed by the OP.
OP I would write Disney with the experience that you had and name the restaurants that you were told no--the thing that strikes me is that none are technically disney restaurants since the world showcase places tend to "do their own thing" , and wolfgang puck participates but isn't a Disney restaurant.
While I know you received the full value of the $10.99 denying children apps. is not the spirit that the DDP is written. It is like saying that since I only paid $5.99 for the promotional oil and filter change I should be happy that I got three quarts of oil.
These are the same restaurants that didn't adhere to the meal vouchers that people used to purchase from connections.

I can't imagine complaining that my 2 girls didn't get appetizers on the DDP when I paid $10.99 and especially when it was FREE last Sept. :rolleyes:

I never even thought to ask for an appetizer for them and when I was offered I was pleasantly surprised. Sometimes I did get them one and sometimes I didn't.

In the 'real' world my kids don't eat appetizers so I don't expect them to eat them on vacation.

It's amazing how if Disney doesn't make their wording crystal clear in the DDP literature, what a big deal some make of it...trying to squeeze all they can out something that's already a GREAT deal. :sad2:

Here's hoping Disney makes everything crystal clear so there is NO room for doubt about all of their policies people enjoy abusing (under 3 free, refillable mugs, 5 to a room).

I don't think the OP was complaining, she was reporting that her experiences were different than some of the discussions she had read on this board.

I did not know that "saving" children's TS credits by paying for them OOP was "cheating" the system. I'm not flaming you, OP... I really didn't know that. At another board that is discussed all the time. I guess I'lll have to go over there and clarify that position. I had planned to do that, but I didn't know it was "cheating".

Thanks for your report. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter