No Appetizers for Kids on DDP!

In reading everyone's posts, I feel that Disney has not clearly defined what a 3-9 yo child is entitled to with their TS meal. The more they leave at each CMs discretion, the more inconsistencies there will be. We will have the "free" DP our next trip and DD7 will be eating chicken fingers and mac and cheese most of the week, I'm afraid. I was hoping they would offer a healthier appetizer such as applesauce or carrot sticks etc. to balance the meal. But looking at the menu, it is hardly available at the restaurants we enjoy. Normally, I wouldn't order a huge appetizer at home, but many of the restaurants in our area offer a healthy appetizers suitable for kids and we do order those a lot.

Disney is not clear about kids appetizers or desserts on the plan. Since there are so many kids that fit this age group and plenty of time this plan has been around, they should be consistent about it. But the server gets their 18% tips on the actual amount, so why not give a kid a $10 appetizer? I don't have a moral issue either way, but I wish they would offer a kid appetizer at all restaurants.

Aristomommy said:
But the server gets their 18% tips on the actual amount, so why not give a kid a $10 appetizer?

There's a reason...the reason is that the reastaurants receive a flat amount from Disney as reimbursement for the credits, regardless of what the person orders. I think the amount was somewhere in the $26 range for adults. It's probably more like $7 per child. The 18% tip is based on the actual dollar amount, but the flat amount for the food is fixed regardless of how much food the restaurant provides to the DDP customer.

I 100% completely agree with Lewisc that children shouldn't be given $10 adult appetizers. I do, however, feel that absent a child's appetizer menu, the restuarant should provide a child's size portion of the adult appetizer. Either that or force Disney to clarify its literature to redefine the term "TS" as it applies to children.

Unless it's recently changed server tips at the non-Disney restaurants are based on the what Disney pays the restaurant and not on the dollar amount of food that the customer orders. For some reason I think Le Cellier might be an exception.

Perhaps this explains why servers at the WS restaurants are less likely to give customers "extras".

I discovered this by being at the register and seeing how my bill was recalculated to reflect the amount Disney was paying the restaurant. It was confirmed by a post from a Disney server who was friends with servers at non-Disney restaurants.

I don't understand why the restaurants don't just buy a large can of fruit cocktail and spend the few cents it would take to provide a child appetizer. or just provide a handful of lettuce and some ranch dressing. My guess is not that many guest really care about child appetizers because it would cost next to nothing to provide one.

formernyer said:
There's a reason...the reason is that the reastaurants receive a flat amount from Disney as reimbursement for the credits, regardless of what the person orders. I think the amount was somewhere in the $26 range for adults. It's probably more like $7 per child. The 18% tip is based on the actual dollar amount, but the flat amount for the food is fixed regardless of how much food the restaurant provides to the DDP customer.

formernyer said:
There's a reason...the reason is that the reastaurants receive a flat amount from Disney as reimbursement for the credits, regardless of what the person orders. I think the amount was somewhere in the $26 range for adults. It's probably more like $7 per child. .
Interesting..I did not know that. I wonder why they don't limit what you can order. I was told by one of the waitresses in Beaches that their tip is based on the total of the bill minus tax, when we talked about the program last visit. I'm going sans kids, and I'm glad..since it sounds like it could be confusing. I know if I had my grands with me, and I got an appetizer, I'd have to order one for them, so I'm not eating mine in front of them.
Does anyone know, if you can offer your dessert to the table next to you? Or is this a bad thing to ask? No way can we eat apps, meal and dessert at every mealtime, and I thought it might be nice to offer ours to a family to share with each other.

DaisyD said:
I was thinking the same thing. It's only $10 a kid so what is the problem? What kid eats an appetizer, full meal, and dessert? Gosh, as a slightly overweight adult myself, there is no way I can even eat all that! LOL!

My kid would....when we order appetizers and she is offered the option at some restaurants and not at others, it becomes confusing.

Lewisc said:
I believe, but I'm not 100% certain, that at least one CS doesn't even offer an adult dessert. Dine there and you get no dessert.

Yes - Lunching Pad at MK. Turkey leg, bag of chips, fountain drink or bottled water. No dessert.

We ordered there last Fall, and I had read reports prior to that, so I knew what to expect. DH asked what was included, just in case there had been a change.

crisi said:
The signature places usually have really good kids menus. But they are two credits on the dining plan. This is one of the reasons the dining plan isn't a solution for everyone. We have a seven year old who can eat like an adult and gets bored with chicken fingers and hot dogs. This year we are cruising - which will be good for him. And our next trip will involve the DDE, not the DDP, in part because he wouldn't do well with the limited choices on the kids menus.
That would be a good choice for next trip, if we get and AP and DDE card. At least My DD & DS would not eat complete junk all week. I don't mind chicken fingers & mac & cheese for lunch. But not at every meal. How grose IMO. They either should have a healthier appetizer (fruit cup or veggies & dip) or smaller adult size meal option for the kids that don't eat alot of junk food. I know some kids are picky eaters and will eat PB&J or Mac & cheese. They need to have more options though. Also they should make it 100% clear about the appetizers too. Have fun on your cruise! I want to try that next year after DS turns 3.

Lewisc said:
Unless it's recently changed server tips at the non-Disney restaurants are based on the what Disney pays the restaurant and not on the dollar amount of food that the customer orders. For some reason I think Le Cellier might be an exception.

I'm not trying to say you're wrong because I honestly have no clue, but if the servers were being tipped $5 on an $80 order in a fancy 1C restaurant do you honestly think they would keep those jobs? You're talking about some of the best servers I've ever dealt with and it sounds like they'd make more working at an Outback Steakhouse.

I also read in the tipping thread the other day that somebody knew some Disney servers and they make in the $120k/year range at Garden Grill and $180k/year at CRT. How do they do this if it's based on a fixed tip of $5 (or $10 for CRT?)

The only plausable answer is that they get astronomical salaries, rather than the typical $2.50/hour that servers receive.

formernyer said:
I also read in the tipping thread the other day that somebody knew some Disney servers and they make in the $120k/year range at Garden Grill and $180k/year at CRT. How do they do this if it's based on a fixed tip of $5 (or $10 for CRT?)

because if you read lewisc's post carefully, you would see that he was referring to NON-DISNEY OWNED RESTAURANTS (typically found in world showcase) which neither GG nor CRT are! :)

also, if a restaurant gets compensated @ a rate of $26/adult and $7/child, that's not a tip of $5 or $10 per TABLE, it's a tip of $5-10/PERSON... so for my family of four they would receive approximately $16, and how many tables does a server serve per evening? ten? twenty? i'd be happy to take home anywhere from $160-$320 per night, wouldn't you?
at twenty tables a night (and i'd not be surprised if they turned over more than that!) that's ~$320 x 5 nights = $1600/week, $80,000/year... i'd work at disney for that! would you?

emma'smom said:
My kid would....when we order appetizers and she is offered the option at some restaurants and not at others, it becomes confusing.
And she eats all that along with a full meal and a dessert? My son was a huge eater but he would have totally wasted most of the food. He would have liked to have a little of this and a little of that but he wouldn't have finished a thing. I wouldn't let them order if they couldn't eat it but that is because my kids wouldn't eat it all.

formernyer said:
I'm not trying to say you're wrong because I honestly have no clue, but if the servers were being tipped $5 on an $80 order in a fancy 1C restaurant do you honestly think they would keep those jobs? You're talking about some of the best servers I've ever dealt with and it sounds like they'd make more working at an Outback Steakhouse.

The only plausable answer is that they get astronomical salaries, rather than the typical $2.50/hour that servers receive.

We know someone that works in a characer meal restaurant at WDW. He makes a little over $90,000 a year. Pretty good for a waiter!

gigi1313 said:
also, if a restaurant gets compensated @ a rate of $26/adult and $7/child, that's not a tip of $5 or $10 per TABLE, it's a tip of $5-10/PERSON... so for my family of four they would receive approximately $16, and how many tables does a server serve per evening? ten? twenty? i'd be happy to take home anywhere from $160-$320 per night, wouldn't you?
at twenty tables a night (and i'd not be surprised if they turned over more than that!) that's ~$320 x 5 nights = $1600/week, $80,000/year... i'd work at disney for that! would you?

I fully understand it is per person, but I can almost guarantee you that these guys don't serve 20 tables per shift. I'm also not debating whether they are well-compensated...I was trying to figure out how they were getting $120k to $180k based on fixed tips ($120k is 50% more than the $80k in your example).

I didn't realize the "Disney-owned" dinstinction was significant until I read the other post. I also didn't realize that the park restaurants weren't Disney-owned.

formernyer said:
I fully understand it is per person, but I can almost guarantee you that these guys don't serve 20 tables per shift. I'm also not debating whether they are well-compensated...I was trying to figure out how they were getting $120k to $180k based on fixed tips ($120k is 50% more than the $80k in your example).

I didn't realize the "Disney-owned" dinstinction was significant until I read the other post. I also didn't realize that the park restaurants weren't Disney-owned.

You should take the time to carefully read posts (not just mine) this is not intended to be mean or argumentative, just a suggestion. Instead of arguing with posters, not just with me, you might actually gain some information. Some of your posts are helpful, otherwise I wouldn't be spending time trying to correct some of the bad information you have accumulated.

I agree servers at character restaurants like CM and CRT make a lot of $. The meals aren't cheap, turnover is decent and the tables are always occupied. It seems strange the $$$ goes to the servers and not to the CM's who assist in the portrayal of various Disney characters but my opinion doesn't really count.

My comment was directed to the non-Disney owned restaurants; most (all?) of the WS restaurants, most (all?) of the DTD restaurants, some of the restaurants in the Boardwalk area and maybe one or two others. Some guests order adult beverages, that should increase the tip. Unlike the character meals some of those restaurants, NOT INCLUDING LE CELLIER, aren't always packed. MYW Dining customers are helping fill tables that otherwise might be empty. When I'm not on the meal plan I tend to split part of the meal, generally I'll either share appetizer and/or dessert or share an entrée and order individual appetizers. The server may not be taking as much of a hit as it would look from first glance. When I'm getting good service I'm much more likely to tip a few extra dollars at Chefs De France than I would be at a Disney buffet. I think 18% is more than generous at a buffet but I think the way the tip is calculated, unless it's been recently changed, at the non-Disney restaurants is a little light. When my meals are pre-paid through the dining plan I'm much more likely to order wine.

gigi1313--Thanks for the posts. Sometimes another person can word something better, for whatever reason formernyer can follow your posts but misses parts of mine. I probably need to better job wording them.

DaisyD said:
And she eats all that along with a full meal and a dessert? My son was a huge eater but he would have totally wasted most of the food. He would have liked to have a little of this and a little of that but he wouldn't have finished a thing. I wouldn't let them order if they couldn't eat it but that is because my kids wouldn't eat it all.

My DD would propably not finish an adult appetizer, huge portion of mac and cheese and adult dessert either. I think the portions are out of control at WDW for kids (and adult meals) and DD rarely finishes a meal. I think the question is not if a person can finish a meal, because how can you know what the portions are ahead of time? To me, the question is what the plan entitles you to? Disney is not clear on this. I am not greedy or try to maximize the DDP credits. We order DD kids meals and do not pool credits. I would like her to eat more than mac and cheese all week and coming up with kids appetizer should not be that hard. Either make a child size salad or fruit cup. How hard is that? I would also like more kids choices, and I think we will go to more buffets to make more well rounded meals for her. I like this thread because it has made me look at the menus and see what she will be eating for 8 days.

DaisyD said:

Yeah, my kid would eat it, too. He wouldn't eat it all, as you point out. But, I did not eat all of my appetizer, entree and dessert on the plan either. Who could? It is fun to be indulgent and try new foods, but it is an extremely wasteful program.

I completely agree with the post about opening the industrial sized can of fruit cocktail or lettuce with ranch dressing. :thumbsup2 This is what Red Lobster does with the apple sauce. I was always glad that my kids got a bowl of applesauce while I ate my salad there. I didn't have to keep giving them bites of mine or having their fingers grabbing my tomato :rotfl: Not sure if Red Lobster still does this or not. Kids don't need a fancy app. but a little nibble while their parents eat is just nice.

I am glad to know from another poster that CM's will accomodate the not so easy to share appetizers like soup by dividing an adult's with a child prior to serving :) But, I think most of my AR's have child apps. offered, anyway. Has anyone taken the time to develop a list of TS's on DDP that have child apps and those that don't? Now that's a rainy day project :teeth:

mlwear said:
Yeah, my kid would eat it, too. He wouldn't eat it all, as you point out. But, I did not eat all of my appetizer, entree and dessert on the plan either. Who could? It is fun to be indulgent and try new foods, but it is an extremely wasteful program.

I completely agree with the post about opening the industrial sized can of fruit cocktail or lettuce with ranch dressing. :thumbsup2 This is what Red Lobster does with the apple sauce. I was always glad that my kids got a bowl of applesauce while I ate my salad there. I didn't have to keep giving them bites of mine or having their fingers grabbing my tomato :rotfl: Not sure if Red Lobster still does this or not. Kids don't need a fancy app. but a little nibble while their parents eat is just nice.

I am glad to know from another poster that CM's will accomodate the not so easy to share appetizers like soup by dividing an adult's with a child prior to serving :) But, I think most of my AR's have child apps. offered, anyway. Has anyone taken the time to develop a list of TS's on DDP that have child apps and those that don't? Now that's a rainy day project :teeth:

It's not raining today but I did add the restaurants that include a children's appetizer to the DP FAQ sticky this morning.

gigi1313 said:
also, if a restaurant gets compensated @ a rate of $26/adult and $7/child, that's not a tip of $5 or $10 per TABLE, it's a tip of $5-10/PERSON...

Not sure about everyone's math skills. $26.00 at a generous tip of 20% is $5.20, no where close to $10. $7 at 20% would be $1.40, so the tip range is $1.40-$5.20 per person, probably an average of about $12-15 per table.

pplasky said:
Not sure about everyone's math skills. $26.00 at a generous tip of 20% is $5.20, no where close to $10. $7 at 20% would be $1.40, so the tip range is $1.40-$5.20 per person, probably an average of about $12-15 per table.

It is approx. $5 at a 1 TS restaurant
It is approx. $10 at a 2 TS restaurant

Servers at 2 TS restaurants would be getting double the tip per customer.

jjohnson said:
It's not raining today but I did add the restaurants that include a children's appetizer to the DP FAQ sticky this morning.

Well how cool are you! Thanks for doing that so quickly from idea to implement!! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter