News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm entitled to 4 weeks vacation every year, but I rarely use it all. I've only used about 5 sick days in 17 years with this company and December is a slower month for us. They know my December trips to Orlando are my thing and they don't even blink when I say I'm taking 2 weeks off for that. I have staff working for me that have used more sick days this week than I have used in 10 years...lol.

oh yeah, i know it is totally me ... with personal days I have over 5 weeks vacation a year I just never use it all. Lots of people here take 2-3 weeks at a time without blinking, but I just can't bring myself to do it ... plus, even when on vacation i usually do a few hours of work a day lol

oh yeah, i know it is totally me ... with personal days I have over 5 weeks vacation a year I just never use it all. Lots of people here take 2-3 weeks at a time without blinking, but I just can't bring myself to do it ... plus, even when on vacation i usually do a few hours of work a day lol
My husband can bank up to twice his yearly vacation time. He gets 5 weeks at this point (he's a few years away from 6 weeks) but he often has 10 weeks (or close to that) stored up. Once you reach the max you can bank you just stop accruing vacation time until you drop below that.

Every now and then I'll ask if he's close and suggest a day off or two. When they move from office to on site at a powerplant you don't really use vacation time (it's pretty rare) unless it's been pre-approved prior to you going to the site. That will easily create the issue of accruing the vacation. It's not entirely uncommon for those people once they get off a project and before they start a new one to take a month or so off. To date though he hasn't done that though.

When we go on vacation it's often using the weekends flanking the full week to make the most of it. Longest though I think we were gone was like 10/11 days. It's expenses at that point rather than time off but it's also our cat we have to keep in mind lol.

My husband is like you though in terms of work. He's salaried and with that means there are times he's having to take a business call or check business e-mails even in day to day life at home. If I remember correctly he took his work laptop with him when we went to Disney knowing we were going to be holed up due to Irma so he could get some work in.

To be fair your family was only there for a day, so yeah it probably was rush rush.

It's usually not like that if you stay for more than a day.
Last October we took one day out if our WDW vacation to do the Universal portion of HP since it was new to us. Then in December we actually spent 2 nights at Portofino and took 2 - 1/2 days to spend in US and IoA. It was extremely relaxing because we didnt feel the need to do too much. The pool at Portofino is wonderful! I would say those parks dont take as long to do everything like WDW does.....of course we stayed on property and we had front of the line tickets for everything :)

That makes me feel a little old. I remember going to an AP preview before it opened.

I grew up in Southern California and worked at Disneyland in college, long before there was a second park. I moved in 1994, so I still think of California Adventure as the “new” park. I guess I was feeling sentimental the last time I went to DL, because I kept my single day ticket, which cost all of $22.

NEWS

Latest look at Guardians of the Galaxy's construction progress:

http://blogmickey.com/2019/02/lates...launch-tunnel-wall-opened-roof-work-and-more/

I thought this one photo, with the workers on the roof of the launch tunnel, really highlights how massive this structure is:
guardians-of-the-galaxy-roller-coaster-construction-02072019-14-1024x682.jpg
I was thinking the same thing as I was looking at the Bioreconstruct photos of MK. I don’t think that I have ever seen those views and never realized how big most of the buildings are.

So we are in this situation if GE is open Thanksgiving week. My first love for theme parks is Disney. I am a Potter fanatic. I love Star Wars.

Right now we have 2 days at Universal booked to start our trip. We move to WDW for 6 days after. I thought about switching that around, but I really don't want to, as I don't know when we will be back to WDW after that trip.

It's tough when you don't know what will actually be open!!!

That does add to the planning challenge! My AP expires in January, so I was toying with doing a Thanksgiving trip since we've never gone that time of year, but with the uncertainty of the SWGE opening, I feel like that would be beyond my planning ability level (that's Graduate Level WDW Planning, for sure)! I may just sneak in another short trip earlier in the early fall then stick with my April 2020 plan when there's a little more info to work with! If your heart belongs to Disney, I don't think I'd switch it - Good luck!

At first I thought it meant a hotel reservation. It is odd that they removed it for dining reservations. Maybe the feature is being worked on and will come back later?

That's what I'm thinking, that there was a bug in the system which made Disney temporarily remove it or at least that's what I'm hoping. This does seem odd though.

I know some people try to get around paying the no show fee by modifying their reservation to push it back a few days and then cancelling it .... so wonder if they think this will make that harder if you can’t do it while out and about in the parks, etc via your phone

The solution for this would be to prohibit any changes to day of reservations, in app or online, except for modifying the time to a different time for that day if anything is available, perhaps only at the same restaurant depending on how strict WDW wants to be. No more cheating the system but still some flexibilty, if any times are open. Of course, coding that to work properly may be a bit beyond WDW can handle based on the current state of affairs technology-wise.

I know some people try to get around paying the no show fee by modifying their reservation to push it back a few days and then cancelling it .... so wonder if they think this will make that harder if you can’t do it while out and about in the parks, etc via your phone

I just did that on Monday, had a Via Napoli res that there was no way the kids were going to make it to unfortunately... it was I think 3 hours ahead and I modified it to Tuesday then cancelled it.

The next day I tried to see if I could modify Yak and Yeti to a slightly later time and it wouldn't let me (we did make it there fortunately). I think it was only about 30min ahead of time though .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter