News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
They did it sounds.
Probably rammed into it pulling onto the monorail to get over the ramp. The person may not have had the speed right, judged wrong, never used an ECV, etc.

I could not imagine why anyone would have their ECV in motion while riding the monorail. It is pretty tight in there and there is no reason to pull forward or backwards while the monorail is in motion. The ECV is stationary when you do not touch the handle. Similar to when parents but the brake on the stroller.

Probably rammed into it pulling onto the monorail to get over the ramp. The person may not have had the speed right, judged wrong, never used an ECV, etc.

I could not imagine why anyone would have their ECV in motion while riding the monorail. It is pretty tight in there and there is no reason to pull forward or backwards while the monorail is in motion. The ECV is stationary when you do not touch the handle. Similar to when parents but the brake on the stroller.

Agreed, it obviously has never happened-but sitting on it facing the doors......just never know.

I guess I always assumed those doors were really locked down and solid when closed, not able to just fall off.

So it "could" happen while in motion though (unless they lock them in like on the busses), hate to picture that in my head.

guess it depends how it happened/why it came totally off. Was the door already open and then the person ramming it pushed it off it's "hinges"? That might not happen when the door is closed and locked

I posted on the thread about the ECV that fell off the ramp getting off the monorail - I am surprised things like this don't happen more. Last trip, for the first time we had someone in an ECV (my mother-in-law) and she did fine with it in the parks but getting on and off the monorail was a challenge and I am sure it is for many other people not used to driving them
I feel like the monorail is one of the easier to get on with an ECV. It’s just a straight shot right? My grandmother used to use one when she went with us and I’m trying to remember, so I could be wrong

From the images in the linked article, that 'appears' to be the first car of the monorail. The ramps for ECV's are located in the middle cars of the monorail. My mom uses an ECV when we're at Disney and it has never been an option to ride anywhere but the centre couple of cars of the monorail.

I feel like the monorail is one of the easier to get on with an ECV. It’s just a straight shot right? My grandmother used to use one when she went with us and I’m trying to remember, so I could be wrong

well, it wasn't for my Mother in Law :rotfl2:

Well, I think getting on wasn't too bad once she got it lined up - getting off was more of the issue as you have to back off

but how many times have you seen a kid sitting on a lap, or even sitting on the scooter while the adult sits on the bench - they could easily send it off. I am not talking the 3 year olds - but the kids old enough to know better...

Well, I think getting on wasn't too bad once she got it lined up - getting off was more of the issue as you have to back off
That makes sense. Like I said it’s been a good 6 years since anyone in my party has had to use one. But backing up, particularly if that person isn’t used to driving one, can be a massive pain

The turns can be sharper getting on and backing up can be hard, especially with the crowds.

Yes, my mom kept hers on turtle and the CM helped her the 1st few times. After that, she got better. You really have to back up completely straight to clear that ramp before you turn it. Definitely a learning curve!

but how many times have you seen a kid sitting on a lap, or even sitting on the scooter while the adult sits on the bench - they could easily send it off. I am not talking the 3 year olds - but the kids old enough to know better...
Good point. So many people don't follow the ECV rules. I know my mom always shuts hers off on the monorail and bus, but most probably don't. To your point, I always cringe when I see multiple passengers on one ECV when they know its wrong. (This is why we can't have nice things! lol)

The turns can be sharper getting on and backing up can be hard, especially with the crowds.

Yes, my mom kept hers on turtle and the CM helped her the 1st few times. After that, she got better. You really have to back up completely straight to clear that ramp before you turn it. Definitely a learning curve!

Good point. So many people don't follow the ECV rules. I know my mom always shuts hers off on the monorail and bus, but most probably don't. To your point, I always cringe when I see multiple passengers on one ECV when they know its wrong. (This is why we can't have nice things! lol)
I’m glad most if not all of the buses now lean and use a ramp instead of the lift. It’s much less time consuming and easier to maneuver (but by no means easy still)

I just watch Tim's video about the christmas tree trail and at 14:44 you can see that someone has ripped a door off the green monorail on the resort tree! :teeth:

414057439.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter