News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure you still get what I'm saying. You keep saying plan plan plan.

Phase B Closing
No admission of guests with one day tickets, and no re-entering or crossing over from another park unless they have one of the following:

• WDW Resort Guests, including The Four Seasons Resort, Swan, Dolphin or Shades of Green, Hotel Plaza Boulevard hotels arriving by bus (Best Western Lake Buena Vista Resort Hotel, The Buena Vista Palace, DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel, B Resort, Wyndham Lake Buena Vista Resort, Hilton), Golden Oak residents and guests.
  • WDW Premier Passport, Annual & Premium Passholders
  • Guests with Memory Maker
These things will get you into the parks without planning period whatsoever. They are a perk Disney has designated.

I don't personally have issues with a closure nor have I said I did. But at least understand that people are getting into the parks without zero planning whatsoever. It's hypocritical, respectfully, to say "well if only you had planned" (with things they aren't required, things that are simply options available) without at the same time saying "the fact that I stayed onsite, the fact that I have an AP, the fact that I live in Golden Oaks (or am a guest of someone who lives there) or the fact that I bought MM means I get to get in (at least with a Phase B) without doing anything else and because Disney decided those parameters meant I could get in".
Yes I get that. Which is why you don’t have to worry if you have those things and why I said it’s a small number that are actually excluded.

If you are excluded and get upset at Disney for that I feel that’s on you not Disney. There are things you could have done to avoid being excluded. You could also go to the park tomorrow instead of today or wait a few hours and see if the closure ends like it did today.

Yes I get that. Which is why you don’t have to worry if you have those things and why I said it’s a small number that are actually excluded.

If you are excluded and get upset at Disney for that I feel that’s on you not Disney. There are things you could have done to avoid being excluded. You could also go to the park tomorrow instead of today or wait a few hours and see if the closure ends like it did today.
Unfortunately I don't think we're going to see eye to eye :) I guess in my mind I can still think back to when I didn't have a clue what the DISboards was (though give me more years and maybe that won't be the case lol) and was just a regular person who went to WDW occasionally.

But in the interest of the topic moving along maybe we'll just agree to disagree :D

Unfortunately I don't think we're going to see eye to eye :) I guess in my mind I can still think back to when I didn't have a clue what the DISboards was (though give me more years and maybe that won't be the case lol) and was just a regular person who went to WDW occasionally.

But in the interest of the topic moving along maybe we'll just agree to disagree :D
I agree with the agree to disagree.

Disney sold the tickets. The people bought them in good faith. If Disney oversold the park that is on them. You can try and blame the customers all you want, but Disney has set the structure so they control access. Selling something someone can't use is a customer service problem at . One person or thousands, Disney is at fault. And their new pricing structure makes them even more culpable. There is no excusing selling more than you have to sell. We jump all overy airlines when overbooking goes sour, Disney deserves no less scorn for the same problem for the money it costs
I wouldn’t say that Disney has no fault in the matter, but with the change in the ticketing system, you buy a ticket for A park not a specific park. So you can still use your ticket, just not necessarily at Magic Kingdom. Since Disney doesn’t sell tickets for specific parks it’s much harder for them to stop selling tickets. If somebody was able to buy a specific day ticket to Magic Kingdom only, and they got turned away, then Disney would be 100% at fault. That isn’t the case with this situation though, which makes it very different from buying an airline ticket to a specific flight.

Disney doesn’t oversell the parks really. You don’t know for sure which parks people are going to. Park hoppers add another level. The new ticket structure may help give them a better idea for this but I don’t think you can really oversell a park without selling park specific no park hopper tickets. That’s why they have the phased closures.

If they sell you a ticket for MK for 12/31 ONLY and you get there and they tell you to stuff it, that is 100% on Disney and a big problem in my mind. Single day, single park tickets must have priority or you are just telling people "thanks for the money, our planning didn't work out, go away. But thanks for the money!"

If they sell you a ticket for MK for 12/31 ONLY and you get there and they tell you to stuff it, that is 100% on Disney and a big problem in my mind. Single day, single park tickets must have priority or you are just telling people "thanks for the money, our planning didn't work out, go away. But thanks for the money!"
You cannot currently buy an MK only single day ticket. That ticket is valid for all four parks under the new ticket structure. And if under the old structure where there was a MK ticket I believe you could use that in a 14 day window could you not? I’ve never bought a single day ticket so not completely sure there.

And to add to that if you book one FP to any attraction in MK under a Phase B closure you would get into the park or if you had memory maker or if you have an ADR or if you are staying at a Disney property.

I agree with the agree to disagree.

Thank you both... ;) I was about to have to go to Turbo and mod this up myself and tell you the topic had run it's course (I kid, I Kid...)

f811d7feff7ab2b0df455443f4b8bd3c.jpg

I'm not sure you still get what I'm saying. You keep saying plan plan plan.

Phase B Closing
No admission of guests with one day tickets, and no re-entering or crossing over from another park unless they have one of the following:

• WDW Resort Guests, including The Four Seasons Resort, Swan, Dolphin or Shades of Green, Hotel Plaza Boulevard hotels arriving by bus (Best Western Lake Buena Vista Resort Hotel, The Buena Vista Palace, DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel, B Resort, Wyndham Lake Buena Vista Resort, Hilton), Golden Oak residents and guests.
  • WDW Premier Passport, Annual & Premium Passholders
  • Guests with Memory Maker
These things will get you into the parks without planning period whatsoever. They are a perk Disney has designated.

I don't personally have issues with a closure nor have I said I did. But at least understand that people are getting into the parks without zero planning whatsoever. It's hypocritical, respectfully, to say "well if only you had planned" (with things they aren't required, things that are simply options available) without at the same time saying "the fact that I stayed onsite, the fact that I have an AP, the fact that I live in Golden Oaks (or am a guest of someone who lives there) or the fact that I bought MM means I get to get in (at least with a Phase B) without doing anything else and because Disney decided those parameters meant I could get in".
If I were going some place that I expected to be crowded during a major holiday, which I would think any person would expect WDW to be crowded on NYE, I would research to see how crowded it usually gets. Even without having ever gone to a place before, I would look and see how often it gets closed, or how early it get typically gets closed off to people. Then I would do my research and figure out if there's ways to get around that (special tickets, special reservations, etc). So in my mind, during this research I would have seen that MK has some kind of phased closures most years on NYE. Then I would have seen what the different phased closures were and figured out that if I had certain reservations, I would most likely be safe. IMO, doing this 5-10 minutes of research is part of the planning process, and what I would think would be common sense to do on any major holiday for any huge tourist attraction. And IMO, not to do that is all on you.

So while yes, it's not part of the typical planning for most people any other time of year, IMO it should be on a big holiday as it's a whole other ball game.

If I were going some place that I expected to be crowded during a major holiday, which I would think any person would expect WDW to be crowded on NYE, I would research to see how crowded it usually gets. Even without having ever gone to a place before, I would look and see how often it gets closed, or how early it get typically gets closed off to people. Then I would do my research and figure out if there's ways to get around that (special tickets, special reservations, etc). So in my mind, during this research I would have seen that MK has some kind of phased closures most years on NYE. Then I would have seen what the different phased closures were and figured out that if I had certain reservations, I would most likely be safe. IMO, doing this 5-10 minutes of research is part of the planning process, and what I would think would be common sense to do on any major holiday for any huge tourist attraction. And IMO, not to do that is all on you.

So while yes, it's not part of the typical planning for most people any other time of year, IMO it should be on a big holiday as it's a whole other ball game.
Well I already said I would expect it to be very busy..not necessarily a closure because before I joined the DIS I had no clue about closures (nor do I think majority of average folks do--remember it doesn't happen too often). And what you would do---research historical crowd history--isn't necessarily what others would do. You're thinking a lot more in-depth than even the average casual planning person gets. Even I wouldn't think to search historical closures and I love to plan.

Just a reference point. I just searched Disney on New Years Eve and multiple search results had something to say about crowds or capacity.

Personally I don’t think the phase closure/guests not getting in thing is a big deal. None of us here experience that because we all plan and/or have at least one of the requirements on the list.

I saw posts from people who had MK tickets for today and couldn't get in. This is why specific day, specific park tickets stink. They oversold the park. They should refund specific park tickets because they screwed up. They wont, of course. But they aren't building a future fan base the way they used to. It will come home to roost in 20 years. But no one cares about 20 years from now today.

Haha that's why I'm surprised they were even handing out a gift card, not so sure Disney is particularly keen to keep their customers happy anymore. Of course you hear the usual odd story about room upgrades or a free cupcake, but Disney customer service has seemed to fallen off.

Disney sold the tickets. The people bought them in good faith. If Disney oversold the park that is on them. You can try and blame the customers all you want, but Disney has set the structure so they control access. Selling something someone can't use is a customer service problem at . One person or thousands, Disney is at fault. And their new pricing structure makes them even more culpable. There is no excusing selling more than you have to sell. We jump all overy airlines when overbooking goes sour, Disney deserves no less scorn for the same problem for the money it costs

But there is plenty of room at the other parks - you buy a ticket to one of the main 4 parks for a specific day - but you don’t buy a ticket for the Magic Kingdom on a specific day

But there is plenty of room at the other parks - you buy a ticket to one of the main 4 parks for a specific day - but you don’t buy a ticket for the Magic Kingdom on a specific day
Yes. But the ticket supposedly gives you entrance to any of the four. Now legally, I agree Disney will have written the ticket contract correctly. But from customer service?

"Yes, you must use the ticket today. No, despite it granting supposed access to MK, in reality, despite what you paid based on our dynamic pricing, you may not come in to one of the four parks your ticket is supposedly good for. Sorry, you lose, but thanks for the money!"

Yes. But the ticket supposedly gives you entrance to any of the four. Now legally, I agree Disney will have written the ticket contract correctly. But from customer service?

"Yes, you must use the ticket today. No, despite it granting supposed access to MK, in reality, despite what you paid based on our dynamic pricing, you may not come in to one of the four parks your ticket is supposedly good for. Sorry, you lose, but thanks for the money!"

But what is the alternative? Let people in even if not safe? Cut off sales of tickets even if the other parks are half empty?

But what is the alternative? Let people in even if not safe? Cut off sales of tickets even if the other parks are half empty?
As soon as they went to specific day tickets those need priority. They won't do it of course. But yes, black out the AP folks. They can always come back. The specific day ticket? They are screwed. If you planned to go to a park a day, and MK on 12/31 was your last day, and you get shut out? Man I'd be bad mouthing Disney from here to forever for that screw job. And it's going to happen. Will it matter? Probably not. But again, those are kids that may always remember or be influenced by their parents forever. It's just dumb and a side effect of the increasing screw job they do increasingly with the ticket restrictions.

As soon as they went to specific day tickets those need priority. They won't do it of course. But yes, black out the AP folks. They can always come back. The specific day ticket? They are screwed. If you planned to go to a park a day, and MK on 12/31 was your last day, and you get shut out? Man I'd be bad mouthing Disney from here to forever for that screw job. And it's going to happen. Will it matter? Probably not. But again, those are kids that may always remember or be influenced by their parents forever. It's just dumb and a side effect of the increasing screw job they do increasingly with the ticket restrictions.

Definitely a bad side effect buon at the end of the day it’s a small number of people impacted on a very small number of days ... and one can say that people go to WDW without doing any planning - but what would you say to people that go to Time Square on NYE and didn’t realize how crowded it would be and that unless they got there at noon they cannot get close to seeing the ball drop? Some times things just take planning and not everyone is going to be happy

Select APs are blacked out currently.

Select APs are blacked out currently.

You are right. I think only Premier, Platinum+, and Platinum are not blacked out, so basically, most of the state of Florida is blacked out for APs. Seems they are doing something to keep the numbers down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter