News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely a bad side effect buon at the end of the day it’s a small number of people impacted on a very small number of days ... and one can say that people go to WDW without doing any planning - but what would you say to people that go to Time Square on NYE and didn’t realize how crowded it would be and that unless they got there at noon they cannot get close to seeing the ball drop? Some times things just take planning and not everyone is going to be happy

Nobody sold tickets to Times Square. Huge difference. Makes the comparison irrelevant.

Definitely a bad side effect buon at the end of the day it’s a small number of people impacted on a very small number of days ... and one can say that people go to WDW without doing any planning - but what would you say to people that go to Time Square on NYE and didn’t realize how crowded it would be and that unless they got there at noon they cannot get close to seeing the ball drop? Some times things just take planning and not everyone is going to be happy
I'm really not trying to get back into the conversation but I do think that the comparison between Times Square for the purposes of seeing the ball drop and WDW are just different things. Plus for NYC it's a free event open to everyone on a first-come, first-serve basis. WDW is not set up on a first come-first serve basis nor free. If it was that would be a different story, at least for me. Has Times Square ever been closed off to people when X number of people are inside the area or do they just continue to let people in so long as there's even a sliver of wiggle room?

I get that - still think going to one of the most popular places on earth on one of the most popular days of the year, expecting people to do a little planning isn’t crazy
Planning is one thing, paying is another. If you buy a ticket, you should be able to get in. If Disney can't manage that, they have a problem. Granted not a big one, but enough that I saw several complaints today. Out of 100k? Yeah, statistically insignificant. But it carries some PR weight.

I'm really not trying to get back into the conversation but I do think that the comparison between Times Square for the purposes of seeing the ball drop and WDW are just different things. Plus for NYC it's a free event open to everyone on a first-come, first-serve basis. WDW is not set up on a first come-first serve basis nor free. If it was that would be a different story, at least for me. Has Times Square ever been closed off to people when X number of people are inside the area or do they just continue to let people in so long as there's even a sliver of wiggle room?

They close off different areas so you won’t be able to get to the closer areas after they are full

I get the ticket aspect is different just was the first comparison I could think of. Regardless, you are going to one of the most popular places on earth on one of the most popular days of the year - to do so with no planning to see what potential closures could be is just unfathomble to me

Even moreso when spending money

Planning is one thing, paying is another. If you buy a ticket, you should be able to get in. If Disney can't manage that, they have a problem. Granted not a big one, but enough that I saw several complaints today. Out of 100k? Yeah, statistically insignificant. But it carries some PR weight.

But you aren’t buying a ticket to MK. If all the parks were at closure then I think it would be more legit

And maybe a problem for Disney but I think they have bigger things to worry about

Ok, well I think that is enough discussing, sorry for keeping it going - obviously some people think it is an issue and others don’t.... let’s hope this is the biggest problem any of us have in 2019!

Question, where were these complaints? I haven’t seen any about people not being able to get in.

I don’t think it was that big of a deal.

They close off different areas so you won’t be able to get to the closer areas after they are full

I get the ticket aspect is different just was the first comparison I could think of. Regardless, you are going to one of the most popular places on earth on one of the most popular days of the year - to do so with no planning to see what potential closures could be is just unfathomble to me

Even moreso when spending money
I see where you're going with it but closing off closer parts (I mean WDW closed of Pandora for a time, they closed...well I think they did TSL, Universal closed HP parts over time, etc) while still being able to be there in the moment in Times Square on NYE is a bit different than being told right when you get to the area-sorry it's all closed off to everyone and you couldn't experience anything at all in that area nor can you see the ball period, etc but told go celebrate elsewhere (much like if you're stuck outside of MK) along with if it was a paid event vs a free event open to all. But again I do get where you were going :)

*I know we're trying to get the conversation to go away though lol just wanted to comment on that part of your comment :)

I see where you're going with it but closing off closer parts (I mean WDW closed of Pandora for a time, they closed...well I think they did TSL, Universal closed HP parts over time, etc) while still being able to be there in the moment in Times Square on NYE is a bit different than being told right when you get to the area-sorry it's all closed off to everyone and you couldn't experience anything at all in that area nor can you see the ball period, etc but told go celebrate elsewhere (much like if you're stuck outside of MK) along with if it was a paid event vs a free event open to all. But again I do get where you were going :)

*I know we're trying to get the conversation to go away though lol just wanted to comment on that part of your comment :)

No worries - I do appreciate hearing other takes ... good to see things from other points of view and I think this thread we usually do a good job of being civil about it (I would imagine this conversation would have turn much uglier if on a Facebook comment)

Question, where were these complaints? I haven’t seen any about people not being able to get in.

I don’t think it was that big of a deal.
I saw several in the Disney Camper Facebook groups. Those are the only Disney groups I belong to beside posting here.

Glad we passed 1000 pages, but boy what a tedious topic to do it on. I have to side on the side of "top bad so sad". Disney has capacity closures for a reason and they are not a secret that it happens at the holidays. If you go and can't get in, that's not Disney's fault since they can't know for sure. It's not like you can't get in a different park.

Anyways, that's all I'll say and happy New year everyone.

Are these posts public? I think that it’s a small number of people who buy a one day MK ticket for NYE. And if they do they are a general tourist who doesn’t know much of anything about Disney. MK hasn’t been closed all day either. It went Phase B mid- late morning which is basically only for one day MK tickets. It reopened to all guests at roughly 5:15PM EST. Not sure if it’s closed again or not.
And if I read it right, all you had to do to get in was have a FPP. I looked and there were FPP to be had even around 6 or 7 pm.

As soon as they went to specific day tickets those need priority. They won't do it of course. But yes, black out the AP folks. They can always come back. The specific day ticket? They are screwed. If you planned to go to a park a day, and MK on 12/31 was your last day, and you get shut out? Man I'd be bad mouthing Disney from here to forever for that screw job. And it's going to happen. Will it matter? Probably not. But again, those are kids that may always remember or be influenced by their parents forever. It's just dumb and a side effect of the increasing screw job they do increasingly with the ticket restrictions.
Yeah, flip the bird to people that have $1000 APs to let people in that don't even know how to make a FPP. That is not what I call customer service or good business. The person with a one-day NYE ticket that did zero planning and zero research is probably pretty unlikely to become a better customer than the people holding Platinum APs. Also, I think the vast majority of CMs would tell the person to download the app and get a FPP.

Disney has been discouraging single day visits more and more for the last few years anyways, I seriously don't see them blocking out the guest they've shown they prefer for the guests they've shown they don't.

This is basically the same as "I showed up to Time Square at 11pm, and I couldn't even get close enough to hear the music!"

As a Platinum+ holder, I would've still been there at RD today and would have never left due to the fear of not being about to get back in.

Last edited:
As soon as they went to specific day tickets those need priority. They won't do it of course. But yes, black out the AP folks. They can always come back. The specific day ticket? They are screwed. If you planned to go to a park a day, and MK on 12/31 was your last day, and you get shut out? Man I'd be bad mouthing Disney from here to forever for that screw job. And it's going to happen. Will it matter? Probably not. But again, those are kids that may always remember or be influenced by their parents forever. It's just dumb and a side effect of the increasing screw job they do increasingly with the ticket restrictions.
But if they had already gone to other parks the days before, that likely means they had a multi-day ticket, not a single-day ticket. And therefore, they would have been ok to enter.

Ok sorry, I'm done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter