NEW...DOLPHIN/SWAN..."questions and answers"...tips and hints!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am checking out today at the Dolphin Hotel. Checked in on Tuesday. (I will post a trip report when I return home).

I was hoping for a King Corner room on the East Wing (dreamflight's reccomendation) I had noted the request on the SPG site, faxex it in, and had it noted on my original reservation, and asked again at check in!! Alas, I did not get the east wing, but did get a King Corner room on the West Wing (Room 71116) I was very happy with the room - 2 balconies , and a great view of the Epcot and MGM Fireworks!!

One major complaint however, on the 5 days I was here, my room was not cleaned once the entire trip!! I had made several calls to the front desk, but housekeeping never made our beds, never took out trash, never refilled coffee - etc, never brought clean towels - VERY DISSAPOINTING. I did call a fourth time, and finally on the last night of our trip housekeeping arrived at 9:00pm!! Since we were tired from being in the parks all day and just wanted to relax we said no thanks. I did call and complain a fourth time, and was told for all my trouble I could either have 2500 starwood points or $50 room credit. I took the points!! That made it me a little happier, but still surprised at the poor service and think I should have been offered more.

Crowds were heavy!! At least an hour wait for the most popular attractions, Test Track was down for most of the trip so never got to try that. The Flower & Garden Festival was great!!! I post more details on my trip report.

WDW2000 - No maid service for 5 days!!! I'm incredulous!! I could understand if there was a mix up and it happened once, but after continuously calling the front desk.... I don't understand how it could happen at what supposedly is a 4* resort.

Hi Everyone. I just joined and have been reading all about the Swan and Dolphin.

My question is about the government rate and what kind of proof will be needed. I am currently working for the government in a seasonal position. If my visit to the Swan is during a "furlough" time for me and a current pay stub is not possible will an older pay stub be proof enough? Thank you to anyone who can answer this question.

I'm really enjoying reading all about the Swan and Dolphin and can't wait to make some reservations!

Diana

Originally posted by dreamflight99
:smooth: :smooth: :smooth: OF COURSE...these CREATURES are more INDIGENOUS to the WDW & ORLANDO AREA!
biggatorhead.jpg
:p

Look good enough to eat. :)

I'm now living in the OKC westin. Beds are awesome! and the club level ain't bad either!!!

Ladydi48 ~ Welcome :wave:
Bring with you your most recent paystub and to cover your furlough bring a letter from your boss on official stationary regarding your position/employment. Or, do you have an ID card? You shouldn't have any problem. Som previous posters said they weren't even asked to show any proof. I have stayed on the teacher rate and brought the most official proof I have - state certificate. I didn't want to take any chances.

Thank You Mouseteacher. Unfortunately, our badges must be turned in when we are furloughed. I work for the IRS and could possibly be in a furlough for 6 months. So if I book for Christmas week, my last official pay stub could be July! which would be 6 months old. I might be able to have an official personnel notice by then stating my furlough status. If there are any other government employees who have encountered this, any insight is appreciated. I'm afraid to call reservations and post the question to them for fear of their answer! LOL

Thanks again.
Diana

currently uploading pictures to imagestation- should it take about forever, its been over 20 min and still waiting.
wdw200- no housekeeping that is absurd. I would call starwoods and give them an earful!! We had housekeeping everyday by 9am and turndown at night tidied up adn left fresh towel, not to rub it in. Somehow your room must have been showing as empty, but after day 2 they should have been very aplogetic, let us know how you make out.

disnurse - it didn't take that long to upload / seconds to upload one picture. I was uploading from a CD Rom to imagestation - is that what you are doing?

Disnurse........can't wait. Takes a long time if you do them all at once. I find it quicker to do a few at a time. Once completed, you will be able to post them here in a flash!
I, too, cannot believe NO HOUSEKEEPING FOR FIVE DAYS! I would have been down there, driving them crazy! Even signs on my door! I also think you should have been given more compensation. What did you do for fresh towels?
LadyDi.....welcome. I think all you will need to do is tell them you work for the IRS! Actually, any proof you can get on letterhead should suffice, esp. if a supervisor explains the furlough thing. Maybe you could even make a copy of your badge?
Glenn.......when do you move? Not a bad place you are staying now!
More pixie dust for Kirk and Mompoppins:
fc44b75b.gif.orig.gif

************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Well, we're just back this afternoon.
No complimentary upgrades. When we checked in at the Dolphin I asked about an upgrade to CL. I was told I would have to pay with points that It would not be complimentary Oh well, no problem as long as this was a room that was non-smoking with a king bed and a sofa. We went to the room, after a half-hour wait. This was definitely a smoking room. It was on the 12th floor. Went back downstairs, and told them this wasn't acceptable because of the heavy smoke smell. He said it was supposed to be "converted" apparently the rooms on 12 can be either smoking or non by the use of some machine to extract the smoke. It didn't work. We were then given a room on 14 a designated non smoking floo. King bed not sofa but they gave us a rollaway for the one night my son would be with us.
This room had a view of the top of the conventon center. We had a great view of the kitchen help taking a cigarettte break. Anyway, I was told this was the only king room available. The color scheme was incredible. Nothing matched, Ireland may be forty shades of green but this room was forty shades of green and blue and orange and mauve. It really looked like they took all the furniture that they had left from other rooms and just made up this room. I glanced in other rooms when walking by and nothing compared to this. My friend who was on the eigth floor though I was exaggerating but was incredulous when she saw it. She said I should ask "Who's your decorator, a blind man?" I know they are going to refurbish but I didn't expect this. There were spots on the ceiling, marks all over the walls , and some on the furniture. It was clean but this is not what I expected on a Club level floor. The Swan was far better last year before they refurbished. If people are staying in these rooms they have to be kept up. We took some pictures to send to Starwood.
Club privlege were great. The morning selections were terrific. Absolutely went wild for the croissants. The afternoon selections were fine if you arrived by 5:10 after that the pickings got a little slim. The cookies were generally gone by 5:30 after that they put out rice crispie treats. When the hot selection was good, that went. The little Mexican quiches and jalpeno poppers seemed to last longer. Even the carrot and celery portion of the veggie tray was gone early in the evening. We usually ate early so it wasn't a prblem for us, just a snack to tide us over before a late dinner. I did feel sorry for those coming back later. They certainly didn't get their money's worth.

So with all my planning, I did get CL (with points)which was a priorty since it saved money on breakfast every morning, but no view, no sofa(our number 1 request, I hate sitting on the bed), and a very colorful room. The service was great and friendly but I'll probably stay at Universal longer next time. They really know how to treat their guests.

Hi all. Had the magical SPG upgrade/room change appear on my reservation three days before arrival. We, too, had step out balcony with resort/crescent lake view, and thought it would be terrific. We had a room on the 7th floor in the west end, however, which meant the view was limited, and of MGM and points west. We did not get the coveted EPCOT fireworks view. So, if you are making room requests, be sure to request EAST resort view. The balcony was OK, but with little to look at, we hardly used it. At check in, I inquired about club level access, and was told it was only given to platinums (I am gold). The lady offered us club access for $50 per night. Not a great deal. The gentleman discreetly gave it to us for $30 per night. We accepted, and enjoyed the access mostly. We used it for breakfast on half the days, and went up for snacks and drinks the other days. Not sure if the $30 per day was worth it.

The heavenly beds are indeed HEAVENLY!! The main complaint we had was that the A/C blew directly onto the beds. In order to get the room to be mildly comfortable, we had to crank the A/C down to 70. Even still, it was terrible clammy and humid in the room. We remedied the situation somewhat by draping a handtowel over the vent. It took care of the direct draft, but did nothing for the humidity. Our bathroom smelled musty, too. The hallways at the Swan weren't vacuumed once during our stay. There was a redskinned peanut in front of a neighboring room that was there each day.

The bus service to the parks was ok, and definitely not at regular 15-20 minutes intervals. The day we needed to be at MK early, we saw 3 buses come by for AK before one came for MK. Then we stopped at Dolphin, Beach and Yacht clubs before proceeding to MK. The opposite happened on way to AK. It was extra hour day, and the bus came 35 minutes after we got there, proceeded to the above stops plus Blizzard beach, putting us at AK a half hour after the park opened to the public, which, on the Friday before Easter, was too late. It was so jammed we weren't able to do many of the attractions. The fast passes at the river rapids were all gone by 12:30 p.m., leaving the only option to be a 70 minute wait.

The boat service to EPCOT was great since Swan is first hotel stop (before Beach/Yacht and Boardwalk). The boat to MGM was a nightmare on early entry day. The boat come from Epcot to Boardwalk, Beach/Yacht, then the Swan, before heading to MGM. The boat arrived full, so no one got on from D/S. The man assured us another was right behind him. We decided to walk, and got there as the park was opening to the public, and just before the next boat arrived. We were NOT pleased, needless to say. If you are planning on using the transports, be sure to leave extra early during busy times.

That being said, I think we would return to the Swan for the SPG points and for the Heavenly beds. And the grotto pool was terrific!

Welcome back, Part of your World and Mom23guys2 ~

Sorry that your stays were not more stellar. IMHO, the more crowded times of year (e.g., Easter, Christmas, July 4) the more issues you encounter such as transportation. I have stayed at Disney resorts during the three examples I gave and had same problems with transportation. It is just darn crowded! Also, the availability for comp upgrades is probably lowered due to resorts being busy.

Still, it's no excuse for having worn out room and certainly they should have de-smoked (?) your original room before you arrived in it. And certainly, hallways should have been kept up.

I, too, had the same view as Mom23guys2 and we lived with it b/c we received a CL comp upgrade and we were paying the teacher rate. The view was immaterial to us.

(Sounds like a C. Dion song!) Before we cause a BOG-DOWN on this board, I've started a new thread! Feel free to step over and POST...on the FRESH, NEW PAGES! Thanks for all the FUN we had on this thread...which will be linked to the new thread through the magic of TREKKER! TTFN....;) C-Y'all over they-a!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter