• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NBA at Walt Disney World

There are way too many pages to the this thread to read through now. But how long will this be going on? I didn't obviously know about it back in January when I booked. And we are booked at Coronado... I am going to imagine the resort will be a pain to deal with.

There are way too many pages to the this thread to read through now. But how long will this be going on? I didn't obviously know about it back in January when I booked. And we are booked at Coronado... I am going to imagine the resort will be a pain to deal with.

mid-October

You won’t be dealing with it. If you are at a hotel where the NBA is staying, they will move you. It will be an upgrade to a villa or deluxe, most likely. Personally, I think that is why they are blocking the Animal Kingdom Jambo House.

Any ideas on what “three specific hotels?” I wonder if they mean buildings vs three different resorts.

Assuming this report of 3 hotels is accurate, I’ll go slightly off book and guess Coronado Springs, Four Seasons and POFQ.

There is undoubtedly a lot of negotiation happening here. The league and Disney have certainly considered multiple resort options, with more than one presented to the players association for approval. Four Seasons isn’t a Disney owned resort but putting 20-30% of the NBA entourage there seems like a reasonable compromise for the upgraded living conditions.

POFQ is the smallest of the moderates and could be used for some lower-level staffers. I’ve always Been skeptical of NBA referees and media members sharing the same “bubble” with players, coaches and team execs. Last thing the NBA needs is a player confronting a ref at breakfast over a bad call the prior night. Some physical separation between certain groups would be wise.

You won’t be dealing with it. If you are at a hotel where the NBA is staying, they will move you. It will be an upgrade to a villa or deluxe, most likely. Personally, I think that is why they are blocking the Animal Kingdom Jambo House.

I was wondering the same thing about Jambo house. We have CSR res for August so my wondering is also a little jaded with hoping. My kids would be thrilled with AKL.

Latest date the Finals will end is October 12th.

Thats if they have to play all 8 “regular season games”. If all the playoff spots and seeds are locked up before they play the 8th game, they’re not obligated to continue playing those games.

Also if every playoff series goes 7 games

Chances are we’re looking at the Playoffs starting around August 20th and ending within 10/1-10/12

Assuming this report of 3 hotels is accurate, I’ll go slightly off book and guess Coronado Springs, Four Seasons and POFQ.

There is undoubtedly a lot of negotiation happening here. The league and Disney have certainly considered multiple resort options, with more than one presented to the players association for approval. Four Seasons isn’t a Disney owned resort but putting 20-30% of the NBA entourage there seems like a reasonable compromise for the upgraded living conditions.

POFQ is the smallest of the moderates and could be used for some lower-level staffers. I’ve always Been skeptical of NBA referees and media members sharing the same “bubble” with players, coaches and team execs. Last thing the NBA needs is a player confronting a ref at breakfast over a bad call the prior night. Some physical separation between certain groups would be wise.

Noooooo! 😂 We are booked at POFQ! I can't see them staying there for a lot of reasons but also selfish reasons. Lol.

I had NO idea, we are booked at Coronado and I really didn't know what this NBA thing was all about. I am pretty sure we are moving our trip to 2021 now, but if we still get get 35% and are given a free upgrade... hmm..

Latest date the Finals will end is October 12th.

Thats if they have to play all 8 “regular season games”. If all the playoff spots and seeds are locked up before they play the 8th game, they’re not obligated to continue playing those games.

Also if every playoff series goes 7 games

Chances are we’re looking at the Playoffs starting around August 20th and ending within 10/1-10/12
It is actually planned to Oct 31st.

And that’s if all the series are played out. Could end sooner.
Also don't forget that with every round that finishes, the number of teams remaining at WDW gets cut down significantly. We start with 22 teams + league staff, operations, media, etc. That full 1600-person number is there from approx. July 9 (reported arrival date) to approx. Aug. 14.

After the eight "seeding games" for each team, at least four teams go home. Two more go home no more than a couple days later, after the 8/9 playoff play-in game (if those are even needed).

That leaves us with 16 teams by mid-August. The first round of the NBA playoffs takes a maximum of 17 days (in a normal year with travel requirements), which cuts the number of teams in half by early September.

By the time October rolls around, there will be two teams left, plus all the non-team personnel. Probably fewer than 300 people total (depending on how much media is allowed to cover the games in person).

So even if the NBA starts out at three resorts, it's possible that they'll look to consolidate operations down as soon as they can.

The renovated rooms have queens. My son is 6’7” and he has a queen. He sleeps a little crooked but is comfortable. Conceivably, any hotel could bring in extra long beds for the players.

And they will. It's standard practice for hotels that host NBA teams to change out the beds for them; Disney will be no different. Players' rooms will get the beds changed out, and will also get lots of other extra amenities that brings up the service standard higher than what it customarily is, because it is in their contracts to get those things when they travel. Some of the coaching staff will also probably get a few extra things, but perhaps not the beds unless they are ex-players who have it in their contracts.

The low-level staffers will undoubtedly stay wherever they are told to stay and be grateful that they didn't get laid off.

Also don't forget that with every round that finishes, the number of teams remaining at WDW gets cut down significantly.

The number of teams will decrease, but attendees may not. Families will be included at some stage (2nd round of playoffs?) and will presumably take the place of teams departing. The media presence also typically increases as we get later into the playoffs.

Exactly how it plays-out remains to be seen, but it has been repeatedly suggested that as some teams depart, other individuals may end up taking their places.

The number of teams will decrease, but attendees may not. Families will be included at some stage (2nd round of playoffs?) and will presumably take the place of teams departing. The media presence also typically increases as we get later into the playoffs.

Exactly how it plays-out remains to be seen, but it has been repeatedly suggested that as some teams depart, other individuals may end up taking their places.
Media presence won’t change from what I understand. You want in you’re there for the long haul.

Media presence won’t change from what I understand. You want in you’re there for the long haul.
There are a lot of members of the media that cover specific teams and are only assigned to do so. I can't imagine a news company would continue to pay a reporter to cover for a team that's no longer in the tournament.

There are a lot of members of the media that cover specific teams and are only assigned to do so. I can't imagine a news company would continue to pay a reporter to cover for a team that's no longer in the tournament.
They can leave but I mean more as in once you leave you can’t come back. So if someone wants to cover the restart of the season and the finals you’ll need to be there the whole time. You can’t pick and choose. That could change but I think they want to minimize travel risks and possible spread with that.

They can leave but I mean more as in once you leave you can’t come back. So if someone wants to cover the restart of the season and the finals you’ll need to be there the whole time. You can’t pick and choose. That could change but I think they want to minimize travel risks and possible spread with that.

yeah just like what you posted about palyers. Leave and it takes 10 days quarantine and 2 negatiive to get back. For media likely wouldn't even bother with that. You leave you leave.

I don’t think all the local media will be coming to Orlando. I know for MLS they expect Univision to get ESPN’S feed and commentate over it from off campus. The local media may be doing the same, with the social distancing zoom interviews we’ve come to know and love.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter