NBA at Walt Disney World

And that’s if all the series are played out. Could end sooner.
I'd be curious how they do this with scheduling. In past years - the Finals had hard dates for the games, so it didn't really matter if the series beforehand was shorter, they still started the same and the dates for each game were set in advance. So there were years when Conference Finals series went deeper and there were only a few days before the Finals started, but there were years when there was a week between the end of Conference Finals and start of the Finals. I think this was likely for network TV purposes. I'm curious how they do that this year - if they stick with that way and we have hard dates relatively soon, or if they stay more flexible. I'm hoping for the latter. Also, I'm curious how they space games out - if they only go every other day for every series since there's no travel and to speed it up, or if they still give extra off days to allow players to rest more.

I'd be curious how they do this with scheduling. In past years - the Finals had hard dates for the games, so it didn't really matter if the series beforehand was shorter, they still started the same and the dates for each game were set in advance. So there were years when Conference Finals series went deeper and there were only a few days before the Finals started, but there were years when there was a week between the end of Conference Finals and start of the Finals. I think this was likely for network TV purposes. I'm curious how they do that this year - if they stick with that way and we have hard dates relatively soon, or if they stay more flexible. I'm hoping for the latter. Also, I'm curious how they space games out - if they only go every other day for every series since there's no travel and to speed it up, or if they still give extra off days to allow players to rest more.
The plan has only stated that October 12th is the latest possible end date. I’m sure we will see a rough schedule eventually.

TV but likely also reserving time at their arena. Most arenas that do NBA also do other events so if they know up-front "here are the specific days NBA Might be playing" then they can schedule other things on the other days. Obviously that isn't an issue this year at all.

TV but likely also reserving time at their arena. Most arenas that do NBA also do other events so if they know up-front "here are the specific days NBA Might be playing" then they can schedule other things on the other days. Obviously that isn't an issue this year at all.
That's true - wasn't thinking about that. Although, I think they could just block off an extra day or two and move the series start up those years when the prior one is shorter. 28 teams are holding dates then through the Finals that they aren't using, an extra couple don't matter (20-24 of those teams have no shot at using those dates most years too). The hard dates for the Finals most years, regardless of when the prior series ends, I assume has to do more with tv scheduling - especially network TV. ABC is already blocking off three nights that might not be used, depending on how many games it goes, and they likely don't want to block off additional nights that they can't schedule programming for (have to have back-up stuff that's really not the same for them I'd assume) due to unknown series start dates. They probably look to limit that.

This year, I could see them being more flexible considering they are probably short on programming as it is since many series halted production before last season even ended, and I assume they are behind on starting back up for next year, if they are even doing so at all yet. Plus, I think we're looking at the highest-rated NBA postseason ever, so they will mind being locked up even less I'd imagine.

I don’t think all the local media will be coming to Orlando. I know for MLS they expect Univision to get ESPN’S feed and commentate over it from off campus. The local media may be doing the same, with the social distancing zoom interviews we’ve come to know and love.

I'd imagine there will still be one person there that can do post game stuff unless they just rely on the press conference set up.

Nascar has been doing the announcing from a studio in Charlotte but has had 2 pit reporters at the track. They've got a long mic so they aren't sharing that I've seen on the news too. It's been working well.

I think the only thing this changes is there's more delay than normal since the announcers have to get their video and then it's sent to the. But since no one is live that won't matter.

The one thing I haven't heard about is how radio will be done or if it'll also be done remotely. I haven't been in the car for a nascar race so I haven't listened. They normally have 3 to 4 people around the track broadcasting and cover different stuff than what's on tv as they see the entire track. And it doesn't work for bball to use the tv commentary if you want to know what's going on. And I don't know what type of press/announcer box these courts have but you could have your radio people far enough away to do it.

I'd imagine there will still be one person there that can do post game stuff unless they just rely on the press conference set up.

The league and the media have already begun discussing details of how this will work, and a lot of it is building off the protocols for access that they'd put in place before the league shut down in March.

As for playoff timelines, here's what The Athletic is now reporting:

Aug. 16-17: play-in games (max 4 teams playing, 18 teams total left in Orlando)
Aug. 18: first round begins (16 teams)
Sept. 1: second round begins (8 teams)
Sept. 15: Conference finals (4 teams)
Sept. 30: NBA Finals begin (2 teams)

I think all of these precautions are warranted (the bubble, playing at Disney, etc). But does anyone think that this doesn't bode well for other sports just starting up (NFL, college sports). How can these types of protocols can be implemented for say the NFL?

This is great news (re: asymptomatic spread news), if it pans out.
It would be much better news if people could be immunized.

In lieu of a immunization,, our success will need to include cheap rapid testing. As there is a difference between asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic. This point doesn't seem to be mentioned in the WHO declaration.

If people had the ability to test themselves every couple of days and self quarantine on a positive result, that would pay dividends in helping stop the spread to others.

There's also a difference between people knowing they have symptoms and having symptoms we may not fully associate with it which from the article I read seemed to be the case.

That's part of why the everyday testing the league's are doing makes sense, it's the only way they can truly check it. Ex if someone gets headaches often and has no other symptoms they wouldn't think they need to be tested. The daily testing will catch that, we just don't know how quick it'll catch it and how much it may spread before.

I think seeing how the nba does and if it can be done safety within this bubble will be a good case study as they are the sport with the most unprotected contact. At least with NFL and hockey they have helmets to help keep the distance. Granted most in hockey aren't wearing a full face shield but it wouldn't surprise me to see some players start using it over a visit when play resumes.

This may have been addressed in a previous post, but I’m very curious on the rules and restrictions placed on the players and personnel. If they are staying at Coronado, I legitimately cannot see guys like Lebron, Westbrook, PG, etc staying in a moderate resort for a very lengthy amount of time. Yet it wouldn’t make sense for them to venture off and do their own thing, like a rent a home, because that could potentially affect the “bubble” that the league is trying to create for this scenario. For anyone who thinks that staying at a place like Coronado for many, many weeks on end, doesn’t realize that these aren’t normal people with normal money. Anyways, it’s a minuscule topic but definitely had me thinking about all the parameters surrounding their restricted, extended stay.

This may have been addressed in a previous post, but I’m very curious on the rules and restrictions placed on the players and personnel. If they are staying at Coronado, I legitimately cannot see guys like Lebron, Westbrook, PG, etc staying in a moderate resort for a very lengthy amount of time. Yet it wouldn’t make sense for them to venture off and do their own thing, like a rent a home, because that could potentially affect the “bubble” that the league is trying to create for this scenario. For anyone who thinks that staying at a place like Coronado for many, many weeks on end, doesn’t realize that these aren’t normal people with normal money. Anyways, it’s a minuscule topic but definitely had me thinking about all the parameters surrounding their restricted, extended stay.
Per reports if players leave they have to quarantine for up to 10 days and have two negative tests.

Lebron and the other stars will likely be in the tower.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if WDW agreed to temporarily cut extra doors between some players' rooms for this event, if that were necessary to keep the league happy. The value of this contract is enormous, both in actual hospitality revenue and in ESPN television value. They are at WDW for the athletic facilities; the hotels are rather secondary. If you have the money and the human resources to deal with the logistics, it is quite easy to temporarily improve the ambiance and guest experience at a hotel as long as it is generally in good repair, and Destino Tower is brand-spanking new.

Disney will absolutely change out the beds and bedding for the players' rooms, but they could easily go further for the biggest star players; changing out shower heads, light fixtures and TVs, swapping in nicer tables and chairs, adding game systems and even redoing floor/window coverings, What I suspect is most likely (for players who don't score one of the limited number of suites in the tower), is that they will be given connecting rooms with the bedroom furniture removed from the second room, with it changed to being furnished as a parlor.

With games possibly running through Oct 12, has there been any mention of a 2020-2021 season start date?

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if WDW agreed to temporarily cut extra doors between some players' rooms for this event, if that were necessary to keep the league happy. The value of this contract is enormous, both in actual hospitality revenue and in ESPN television value. They are at WDW for the athletic facilities; the hotels are rather secondary. If you have the money and the human resources to deal with the logistics, it is quite easy to temporarily improve the ambiance and guest experience at a hotel as long as it is generally in good repair, and Destino Tower is brand-spanking new.

Disney will absolutely change out the beds and bedding for the players' rooms, but they could easily go further for the biggest star players; changing out shower heads, light fixtures and TVs, swapping in nicer tables and chairs, adding game systems and even redoing floor/window coverings, What I suspect is most likely (for players who don't score one of the limited number of suites in the tower), is that they will be given connecting rooms with the bedroom furniture removed from the second room, with it changed to being furnished as a parlor.

I completely agree with you. Particularly at the convention resorts (like CSR), WDW not only has the ability to totally transform spaces for different uses and functions but to provide a variety of entertainment. I think they could do enough in a CSR bubble to keep the players and their families entertained. I've been lucky enough to attend some amazing private events at WDW (a few in some of the convention spaces) and, if the NBA is willing to spend a pretty penny, the players, I think, won't be too terribly bored! I totally see game systems being installed!

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if WDW agreed to temporarily cut extra doors between some players' rooms for this event, if that were necessary to keep the league happy.

I completely agree with you. Particularly at the convention resorts (like CSR), WDW not only has the ability to totally transform spaces for different uses and functions but to provide a variety of entertainment. I think they could do enough in a CSR bubble to keep the players and their families entertained. I've been lucky enough to attend some amazing private events at WDW (a few in some of the convention spaces) and, if the NBA is willing to spend a pretty penny, the players, I think, won't be too terribly bored! I totally see game systems being installed!

My two cents but I don't think you're giving NBA players enough credit if you think they're going to insist on major modifications to guest rooms. Everyone involved knows this is a difficult, unusual set of circumstances. This is the only path to finishing the season. While is bound to be some grumbling along the way, most will do their best to make it work.

NBA teams typically work with high-end hotels because of the quality of service, amenities, security, etc. Some elite players have clauses in their contracts dictating certain room requirements. But I think you're selling people short if you think they are prima donnas who are unwilling to live under lesser conditions in the midst of a play-stopping pandemic.

There will be plenty of new facilities added to convention space. They'll get workout equipment, practice courts, video tape rooms, media rooms, gaming lounges, etc. They'll have 24 hour food service and other amenities the hotels do not normally provide. Some players may be able to request larger beds if there is a physical need. But I don't think we'll see massive changes to hundreds of guest rooms or walls knocked-down.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter