NBA at Walt Disney World

I thought this was interesting.

Players participating in a 10-team, 36-game German Basketball Bundesliga (BBL) tournament slated to start in Munich on Saturday are being asked to wear chips monitoring their movements, league commissioner Stefan Holz told ESPN. The BBL has been suspended since March 8.

The league is isolating players, coaches, referees and other staff during the three-week tournament to limit the risk of infection. Each team will have up to 22 people in one location. The league submitted hygiene and safety protocols to authorities and political bodies for approval, including plans for about 2,750 COVID-19 tests.

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/i...undesliga-players-wear-movement-chips-tourney

Looks like it is "voluntary"

This movement-tracking chip, designed by Kinexon, could lead to privacy concerns, especially because players did not agree to it. Some players contacted by ESPN slated to play later in the week were not informed of the league's plans to track their movements. Many were first informed of it upon arriving in Munich on Thursday.

BBL Commissioner Stefan Holz told ESPN that the wearing of movement chips is not required by the league.

"It is voluntary," Holz said. "It is optional. It is to trace contacts. If there is one positive test within the group, the whole group could be in danger. It could be the end of the tournament."

According to Bayern Munich general manager Marko Pesic, players will be "strongly encouraged" but not required to wear the chips around their wrist or neck. All movement in the arena and practice facility will be recorded by cameras that are already in place for contact-tracing.

Following this thread. Not sure if the answer is in the thread, couldn't find it. Did they say which resorts will be NBA resorts? I did see a rumour stating Coronado Springs. We're booked for early September in Coronado Springs, and I'm pretty nervous we'll be moved to another resort. Any idea?

Following this thread. Not sure if the answer is in the thread, couldn't find it. Did they say which resorts will be NBA resorts? I did see a rumour stating Coronado Springs. We're booked for early September in Coronado Springs, and I'm pretty nervous we'll be moved to another resort. Any idea?
They haven’t said yet, but it’s likely the location. Even if not, it’s likely that Coronado is one of the resorts that doesn’t open for a while: moderate, bus only transportation, normally relies on conventions/events. Prevailing sentiment is that you’d get moved to a deluxe resort.

I thought this was an interesting article regarding the financial aspects of the NBA finishing out the season. Of note was how much as revenue ESPN was set to lose if the NBA did not finish out the regular season and play-offs ($481 million) and this quote, "At a minimum, analysts said, the N.B.A. will spend tens of millions of dollars at the resort in facility fees, hotels and dining. The league’s presence at Disney may also offer an invaluable marketing message to families contemplating vacations: This place is safe to visit again."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/05/...ogin=email&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

All that drama on the boards about players being given free reign of the entire Disney property and going to the parks whenever they please, all for nothing. Dont they know this place feeds off of controversy? They couldn’t at least tease that it could be a possibility the NBA players would be given select days at the parks by themselves without allowing guests in, just to keep things a little interesting in the comments here?

All that drama on the boards about players being given free reign of the entire Disney property and going to the parks whenever they please, all for nothing. Dont they know this place feeds off of controversy? They couldn’t at least tease that it could be a possibility the NBA players would be given select days at the parks by themselves without allowing guests in, just to keep things a little interesting in the comments here?
Lol. And how about the families will have to be able to go to the parks drama? Noticed Keith Smith there on Twitter said Disney will also provide plenty of family-friendly activities at resorts as it is unlikely they will be going to theme parks either.

Lol. And how about the families will have to be able to go to the parks drama? Noticed Keith Smith there on Twitter said Disney will also provide plenty of family-friendly activities at resorts as it is unlikely they will be going to theme parks either.
Two things can be true. Disney will certainly add some fun into the resort experience.
And park visits?
WDW has a lot of experience providing private parties park access after hours or by closing parks to the public early.

I'm on the side WDW will provide both types of entertainment-resort and park.
The park might be a limited area, but it will be some sort of park visit. (And I think the visits will be private events.)

Two things can be true. Disney will certainly add some fun into the resort experience.
And park visits?
WDW has a lot of experience providing private parties park access after hours or by closing parks to the public early.

I'm on the side WDW will provide both types of entertainment. The park might be a limited area, but it will be some sort of park visit.
If they let any families or players in the parks then will have to just cancel the whole playoffs, the whole reason they are playing in WDW is to be in a closed bubble. I can't see that happening. I think they will provide activities for families and I'm sure when they are done playing they can go with their family to the parks for sure. Just not till they are out of the NBA bubble.

And park visits?

I'm on the side WDW will provide both types of entertainment-resort and park.
The park might be a limited area, but it will be some sort of park visit. (And I think the visits will be private events.)
I... really didn’t see us back tracking into that pointless debate off my post of how it’s not happening... I should have known better 🤣

While teams are still in contention, they will not be in the parks, and neither will the families. That has been confirmed. If they were going to open the bubble, then they would just play in their home arenas, or their families would come to Disney for a vacation and go home without seeing their spouse before leaving. The Disney environment is there to provide a self sustained bubble. As soon as you have them interacting with areas that potential incubators have been/touched, it immediately defeats the purpose.

When teams get eliminated from contention, they are free to do whatever they want, but they will not have private access unless they pay for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter