• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NBA at Walt Disney World

My DH mentioned something that I hadn't thought of. He said most nba player contracts expire July 1st. So I wonder how they are going to handle that situation, with no free agency period.

It's a bit off-topic, but something I didn't know.

My DH mentioned something that I hadn't thought of. He said most nba player contracts expire July 1st. So I wonder how they are going to handle that situation, with no free agency period.

It's a bit off-topic, but something I didn't know.

There are several CBA changes needed to make all this work and yes that is one of them But the union doesn't appear to be giving much pushback since the alternative is all their members losing a lot of money.

and things like team meetings.

I was thinking they could even create more fitness/weight training facilities in those vast convention spaces. Even maybe create a practice court? I don't know - I've never been in the ballrooms there, but those places look vast.

A little late to the party but wanted to comment on Jambo availability. If I was planning a trip with little or no park time - a resort vacation if you will - Jambo would be one of the first resorts I booked!! The restaurants, the pool, the animals are a vacation all on their own!

There are several CBA changes needed to make all this work and yes that is one of them But the union doesn't appear to be giving much pushback since the alternative is all their members losing a lot of money.
Could be wrong, but I think they already agreed to changes in dates for the start of the league year, etc.

Well that's certainly a new wrinkle. I still don't see how they maintain a "bubble" or "campus" or whatever they call it at any of the resorts that have to be open for DVC, which eliminates almost all of the other reasonable choices. It will certainly be interesting - and I'm sure this is going to lead to a couple days of message board/social media melting down in the Disneysphere. I suppose there's still the possibility that players don't have to stay within the "bubble" (I believe Jared Dudley said it a couple weeks ago and he's the alternate union players' rep for the Lakers). If it's more of an open situation, then having them at more than one resort makes sense. I just think it's a bad idea and would hate to see an important player test positive and really impact the playoffs.

Well that's certainly a new wrinkle. I still don't see how they maintain a "bubble" or "campus" or whatever they call it at any of the resorts that have to be open for DVC, which eliminates almost all of the other reasonable choices. It will certainly be interesting - and I'm sure this is going to lead to a couple days of message board/social media melting down in the Disneysphere. I suppose there's still the possibility that players don't have to stay within the "bubble" (I believe Jared Dudley said it a couple weeks ago and he's the alternate union players' rep for the Lakers). If it's more of an open situation, then having them at more than one resort makes sense. I just think it's a bad idea and would hate to see an important player test positive and really impact the playoffs.
Resorts without a DVC attached or on premises:
  • All Star Music*
  • All Star Sports*
  • All Star Movies
  • Art of Animation*
  • Pop Century
  • Port Orleans French Quarter
  • Port Orleans Riverside
  • Coronado Springs
Resorts with a distanced DVC where you could potentially make it work:
  • Caribbean Beach*
  • Yacht Club
  • Polynesian
  • Grand Floridian
  • Contemporary Resort
Other on-site resorts:
  • Four Seasons
  • Swan
  • Dolphin*
*Some rooms still have double beds

I think it they are doing multiple resorts, that puts both Port Orleans resorts in play, but it also puts Yacht Club in play. I'd also point out that every single NBA player would probably prefer the four seasons or the WDW Swan, and if it's a total deal breaker for the NBAPA, Disney may allow it. I'm sure that Marriott or Four Seasons would gladly pay a substantial finders fee to Disney to book hundreds of rooms in their otherwise likely to be vacant hotel.

• All Star Music*
  • All Star Sports*
  • All Star Movies
  • Art of Animation*
  • Pop Century
  • Port Orleans Riverside
  • Coronado Springs
  • Caribbean Beach*
  • Yacht Club
  • Polynesian
  • Grand Floridian
  • Contemporary Resort
Other on-site resorts:
  • Four Seasons
  • Swan
  • Dolphin*

I think it they are doing multiple resorts, that puts both Port Orleans resorts in play, but it also puts Yacht Club in play. I'd also point out that every single NBA player would probably prefer the four seasons or the WDW Swan, and if it's a total deal breaker for the NBAPA, Disney may allow it. I'm sure that Marriott or Four Seasons would gladly pay a substantial finders fee to Disney to book hundreds of rooms in their otherwise likely to be vacant hotel.
I think you're right about the potential for the third-party hotels, but it's also been reported quite a bit for the last month+ that the attraction of Disney is the control they have over the hotels and surrounding property. Would those third-party sites be willing to close their hotels completely to outside guests? Maybe, but it's also harder for them to move guests than it is for Disney to do so.

I have not bought in to the "players won't stay at anything less than what they're used to" narrative. A good chunk of these players lived in college dorms a couple years ago, so it's not like they're so removed from lesser accommodations. The reality though is that the players understand that sacrifices have to be made to complete the season, and they have millions in salary depending on resuming the season (not just this year - the more money the league can make now, the less the salary cap will go down which is going to drastically affect their future contracts as well, for multiple reasons). Plus for many of the highest paid players who might be sacrificing the most in what they're used to - they are the players who have the most riding on their career legacies with the outcome of the season (LeBron doesn't have much time left to win any more titles, etc.).

For the list with "distant" DVC, I just don't know that they could reasonably keep guests separated well enough. Grand Floridian the DVC guests have no dining except in the main building, I believe. Same thing with Contemporary and Polynesian (I guess you could consider the Oasis pool bar). Poly also has guest check-in in the main building. Also, how do you manage with the monorail stopping there?

Yacht Club has a bit more in amenities without Beach, but the pool might be an issue and they are just on top of each other. Caribbean is the most separated, but assuming the Skyliner's running, you have the same problem of how "sealing" off the resort area from others, although not nearly as much as with the monorail resorts.

Port Orleans would certainly make sense as far as location goes and it is a bit better than the values. Pop and AOA could work I guess and just not run that line of the Skyliner. Notwithstanding my statements on players being able to handle the accommodations, I still have a hard time seeing them put in the All Stars. Although, that could certainly be an added wrinkle to the idea of letting the higher seeds pick - let them also pick at which resorts the others stay. "Oh, and for this team we don't like, you get All Star Sports. Two to a room too!! Mwah-haha!!"

I think you're right about the potential for the third-party hotels, but it's also been reported quite a bit for the last month+ that the attraction of Disney is the control they have over the hotels and surrounding property. Would those third-party sites be willing to close their hotels completely to outside guests? Maybe, but it's also harder for them to move guests than it is for Disney to do so.

I have not bought in to the "players won't stay at anything less than what they're used to" narrative. A good chunk of these players lived in college dorms a couple years ago, so it's not like they're so removed from lesser accommodations. The reality though is that the players understand that sacrifices have to be made to complete the season, and they have millions in salary depending on resuming the season (not just this year - the more money the league can make now, the less the salary cap will go down which is going to drastically affect their future contracts as well, for multiple reasons). Plus for many of the highest paid players who might be sacrificing the most in what they're used to - they are the players who have the most riding on their career legacies with the outcome of the season (LeBron doesn't have much time left to win any more titles, etc.).

For the list with "distant" DVC, I just don't know that they could reasonably keep guests separated well enough. Grand Floridian the DVC guests have no dining except in the main building, I believe. Same thing with Contemporary and Polynesian (I guess you could consider the Oasis pool bar). Poly also has guest check-in in the main building. Also, how do you manage with the monorail stopping there?

Yacht Club has a bit more in amenities without Beach, but the pool might be an issue and they are just on top of each other. Caribbean is the most separated, but assuming the Skyliner's running, you have the same problem of how "sealing" off the resort area from others, although not nearly as much as with the monorail resorts.

Port Orleans would certainly make sense as far as location goes and it is a bit better than the values. Pop and AOA could work I guess and just not run that line of the Skyliner. Notwithstanding my statements on players being able to handle the accommodations, I still have a hard time seeing them put in the All Stars. Although, that could certainly be an added wrinkle to the idea of letting the higher seeds pick - let them also pick at which resorts the others stay. "Oh, and for this team we don't like, you get All Star Sports. Two to a room too!! Mwah-haha!!"
On the distant DVC they could utilize the gigantic popup tent-like facilities they use for conferences and weddings. But I agree that most of them are unlikely, although I think Yacht Club with its attached convention space actually makes a lot of sense, plus Yacht has the fitness center. No need to open up access to SAB - it's keycard only anyway and you could just disallow access. And there's always the quiet pool. But of course it can't fit everyone - it only makes sense as a second resort.

As far as each team literally bringing their home court to WWOS, why? What a ridiculous amount of unnecessary work. It takes hours to change out a floor and it would have to be done after each game, dropping the amount of games they'd be able to play per day.

As far as each team literally bringing their home court to WWOS, why? What a ridiculous amount of unnecessary work. It takes hours to change out a floor and it would have to be done after each game, dropping the amount of games they'd be able to play per day.
Well they could at the very least use a standard court and change our sections for logos and such. You do also have three buildings to use at WWoS. They likely would stagger start times if teams are playing at the same time so that would also stagger court changes. This is a compromise for all so they likely want to make the players feel as comfortable as possible. The NBA is more player driven than any other league really.

Many if not all NBA home courts already are portable. They change them out when their hockey team plays, or if they share the arena like Lakers and Clippers. On average it takes 90 minutes to change from Lakers to Clippers, but that includes seating and scorer tables. They do have double header Laker and Clipper games in the regular season.

Well, I wouldn't exactly call the WWoS courts "makeshift" -- it's a very spiffy facility that is designed specifically for tournament play.

I've read some comments from athletes (not all basketball players, but other sports as well) who have said that without fans present, playing in a big arena is actually less pleasant for them than a smaller one. The crowds add a lot of energy and players feed on that intensity, but acres of empty stands tend to have the opposite effect for experienced players; it really emphasizes what is missing, and that can be depressing. Seeing thousands of empty seats out of the corner of your eye every time you turn just amplifies the strangeness. It's different for new players who are awed by just being on the floor of such a place, but for athletes who are accustomed to playing in huge arenas, many say it feels really wrong.

And apropos of nothing at all, Disney really needs to build permanent aquatics and indoor ice facilities at WWoS! (3 sheets would work, but 5 would be better, LOL.)
I think one of the issues with playing in a big arena without fans present versus a small one is actually visual. I believe I've heard that a big, full-sized arena without any fans could cause sight-line and depth perception issues for players. This is a known long-time complaint with the NCAA Final Four. They play the Final Four and championship game, and sometimes some others, in football stadiums. Because they are so much larger, many players say it causes issues with longer shots because of the depth perception issues. The distances behind the basket are so drastically different than what they're used to that it throws them off a bit. That's not to say they don't manage, but it definitely has some effect - most shooters will say this. You also, on average, see lower shooting percentages as a result in those games or teams that are very three-point-reliant tend to not do as well as normal.

I believe I've heard this mentioned as a possibility if they were to play in their normal game arenas with no fans - everything would look off. It doesn't take much for players at this skill level that are shooting 25-foot shots. If they go from 38% to 33%, that's a big difference. I know most of these guys could shoot better than us blindfolded, but when you're talking about razor-thin margins at such an elite level, it can make a difference.

Many if not all NBA home courts already are portable. They change them out when their hockey team plays, or if they share the arena like Lakers and Clippers. On average it takes 90 minutes to change from Lakers to Clippers, but that includes seating and scorer tables. They do have double header Laker and Clipper games in the regular season.
Here in Milwaukee we have had double header Hockey (not NHL) and Basketball.

• All Star Music*
  • All Star Sports*
  • All Star Movies
  • Art of Animation*
  • Pop Century
  • Port Orleans Riverside
  • Coronado Springs
  • Caribbean Beach*
  • Yacht Club
  • Polynesian
  • Grand Floridian
  • Contemporary Resort
Other on-site resorts:
  • Four Seasons
  • Swan
  • Dolphin*

One rumor suggests NBA takes over AKL. DVC members booked in Jambo being relocated to Kindai.

CBR doesn't really have DVC attached. Close a couple of paths and the Riviera station.

That said CSR or AKL make more sense. 4 seasons also makes sense, if NBA is going with more then 1 hotel

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter