• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mystery Pins

Now that was good of you to do!

:goodvibes
I share compliments all the time. I go out of my ways in resturants to tell managers how good a waiter is. Matter of fact, I did it just last Saturday in Germany. I wish I could remember the guy's name (I think it was Rob). He was an older guy and had worked there for 15 years (I didn't know that till the manager told me).

C'mon Willie - just having some fun here. Admittedly at your expense.

After all, you started this thread (and are keeping it alive - which I am REALLY happy about).

Gotta go do some pin trading now with the CJDPT folks.

Better not be any illegal Mystery Pins there!

What page is this up to now?

I don't mind taking some kidding, as long as it is in good fun. I took you guys as being a little mean, but I'm sure that is not the case.

Just for the record, I'm normally the first to give a compliment to someone or their manager. I love good-great service and I will pay extra for it.

Let me give you an example. I go to the Alahambra theater in Jacksonville Florida from time to time. Coffee/Tee is free. Cokes cost money (so do each refill). My server last night expalined everything (including refills are extra). I tipped her extra. It was better than being surprised.

At Christmas, I didn't know this when we went and I ended up with a 20 dollar bill (we got hot choloclate too). I didn't care about the money, I would have ordered it anyway. But I think refills are expected nowadays. They should have said something, I tipped less.

The only reason I felt a "need" to complain was I was asked to by management, as she put it " to improve Disney". Then, people are on here acted like I was wrong and she didn't say it. That sort of give me riled up. She did say it.

But for the record, I'm more of a complimenter.

DJblu,

I honestly try not to make too big of a deal out of it. It makes me a little angry when we are trying to have fun and people are making things up. I'm honestly not a guy who sweats details much, for some reason this irks me. I guess it is mostly b/c we have so much fun doing it and I think it is unfair to turn them around and be a jerk to us. We do try to be very kind and understanding, but it is not fair for some people to refuse to trade. The cm's do not own the pins. They pick them up in the back and are told to trade them. Disney makes a lot of $$ of these pins. I understand some people like mystery pins, heck it would be an inconvience for me, but I could even deal with it if they would "play by the rules" and turn them over when I ask.

I know I'm coming off like a total trader and I'm letting them get the best of me, but we only have pins we really like. I don't want to trade a pin for a Snow White pin. If I'm dealing a pin, it is a pin that has some value to us, but the other one might mean more. I don't know if this makes sense. I see everyone is against me, which tells me I may be wrong.

I just don't understand how if it is against Disney policy (and it is, I've been told) then why would you guys support it?

Having been trading for awhile my experience is:
1) Trading is better at WDW than DL - 4 parks - more cast members more pins!

2) There is always someone wether it is a guest who really wants to trade for a pin you just got that you were not planning to trade - or a Cast Member who may do something you think is less than magical - (I remember overhearing a conversation with a manager stating how she was not thrilled with adult traders after I had traded with her at DL) who may make you feel uncomfortable....or like maybe you should not be doing it...keep going....a good pin is just around the corner! :cool1:

3) DH and I enjoy Pin trading. Even though we have had the occasional bummer experience - we continue to trade and enjoy it.

4) I have seen the Mystery pins - sometime we trade for them sometimes we don't - the best time was when i got a CM pin I was really looking for!

5) If you like Trading Keep Trading - I believe for us the good has outweighed the bad! :yay:

I posted this elsewhere, but I'll put it here:

We had an ongoing Mystery Pin Talk, so I wanted to make a point that came up. For newbies to that thread, I'll give you a quick update. I was told by Disney managment that Mystery Pin trading is not sanctioned by Disney and to report anyone that was doing it. Some argued it was sanctioned by Disney.

I was given this link:

http://eventservices.disney.go.com/f...ette122004.pdf

I'm assuming it is legit.

1) No mention of Mystery Pins

2) It says you can't trade a pin the CM already has. If I can't see their pins, how would I know???

3) "Judge whether a pin is tradeable"... once again I need to see the pin if I'm going to be doing any judging!

4) Have Fun! That's rule number 1. Mystery pin trading is not fun to me! Ok, this one is personal and could go either way

:eek: You are borderline obsessive on this one :eek:

Please - stop pin trading. It is making you miserable. Do Mystery Pins keep you awake at night?

THE THREAD THAT WILL NOT DIE.

You even started another one - FOR NO REASON!!!!

Oy vey.

Give it a rest. Subject to change without notice.

I thought the other was closed. I made a mistake. Sorry.

I thought you guys might want to see the "official" rules. I know a lot of you guys were "mistaken" about the rules, so I was trying to help you guys out.

As Lionel Richie said, "That's what friends are for"!!

This has been the most fun I've had reading a thread in a LONG time. Thanks for the laughs.

Admission to Disney Park - $70

Pins and lanyards to trade - $100

9 Page thread about a $2 pin? - Priceless :thumbsup2

I thought the other was closed. I made a mistake. Sorry.

I thought you guys might want to see the "official" rules. I know a lot of you guys were "mistaken" about the rules, so I was trying to help you guys out.

As Lionel Richie said, "That's what friends are for"!!

LOL... believe me. No one here is unfamiliar with the official rules. And BTW you are seriously misrepresenting them.

For one, it does not say each pin should be looked at. It also doesn't say you can't trade one they have, it says you can't trade that is DISPLAYED. Mystery pins are not displayed. They are hidden intentionally.

And everyone here more experienced with Pin Trading is telling you Mystery Pins are sanctioned even if they aren't in the rules. I agree with NJBB. Stop Pin Trading now... it obviously isn't for you.

HauntedMan,

Your post is one of the biggest laughs I've had in a long time (I mean this in a positive way). Nine pages about lanyard trading - priceless. :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

This has been the most fun I've had reading a thread in a LONG time. Thanks for the laughs.

Admission to Disney Park - $70

Pins and lanyards to trade - $100

9 Page thread about a $2 pin? - Priceless :thumbsup2

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl:

All this over mystery pins because you claim it's not in the official rules of Walt Disney World Pin Trading. I have been collecting and trading since May 2001 and I have seen a lot worse then this.

William it's a good thing you were not at the Beach Club a few years ago when I was purchasing a surprise pin, because the Cast Member asked if I wanted some other pins which were only for DVC members. However my family and I are not DVC members, but I still purchased them and they CM never asked for a DVC membership card. So I guess you could have reported her for breaking the rules right? Basically what I am trying to say is WDW Pin Trading rules are broken all the time, so if you can get away with it more power to you.

I don't really care per se that they do, honestly, but my thing was if I don't want to partipate in an unsanctioned game, I should not be forced to. That's all. Disney management is the one that asked me to report them, so I did once.

I'd much rather Disney set up my fun than random CM's. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter