• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mystery Pins

william4192

Mouseketeer
My biggest complaint about pin trading is "mystery pin". It is not sanctioned by Disney and if you complain to a CM they will fix it. This is when a WORKER (yes, worker) flips pins around so adults can't trade. That is what green lanyards are for! This bugs me a lot, as I'm not a trade for profit, but my wife and I like to collect certain pins of things we have done.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm really interested to see if other people have had this problem.

Sorry that you've obviously had a bad experience. Sometimes CMs don't know the pin-trading rules as well as Guests, & sometimes the 'suits' change the rules on all of us.

In my experience, when a CM has a "mystery pin"(only the pinback showing) on their lanyard, any guest can trade with them (adult or child). The guest just won't know what they are getting until they decide to trade. I think they can be fun and sometimes you can get a *great* pin in exchange for a rack pin.

I'm not saying that the cicrumstance you mentioned hasn't happened, just never to me. I guess I've never seen where an adult Guest was not allowed to trade for a mystery pin.

agnes!

DH loves the mystery pins . sometimes he gets a lemon , but then he just trades it away. Half of the fun of pin trading is the thrill of the hunt. Mystery pins just add something new to the hunting.

If you don't like the mystery pin idea just don't trade for them, simple as that.
If your afraid there is something wonderful behind curtain # 1 that you are missng out on go for the trade & have fun.

My DH always goes for the mysterytrade & somtimes we have a good laugh at what he gets. never anything bad , just maybe something he would have never picked out. :rotfl2:

Sorry, if I did not explain myself well.

An adult can still trade, but mystery pins are not allowed according to Disney Management. I find it interesting this is being done (and for so long) and it is against Disney Policy.

Sorry, if I did not explain myself well.

An adult can still trade, but mystery pins are not allowed according to Disney Management. I find it interesting this is being done (and for so long) and it is against Disney Policy.

Where did you hear this because thats not true.

-em

I'm interested in knowing the source as well, want to follow the written rules y'know?

agnes!

Here is what happened. We were at the Mickey's Christmas Party and we wanted to pin trade while we were there (let me point out we are not traders, we play a game where we buy pins at full price and then we try to find the ones for hotels and resturants and rides we like. Since we live so close, it makes Disney fun "again").

Anyhoo, I kept running into mystery pins. So I asked a supervisor about it (that was walking around). He told he created it (yes, he actually said this), but he went on to say that it was used to "frustrate" pin traders. I questioned him why you would want to do that to people to spend hundreds even thousands of dollars on 10 cent pins. He continued on about how the cast members don't like pin traders. So i listened, but i was getting angry. I kept my cool b/c we wanted to have good time.

So, we went to the Christmas store (my personal fav) to buy an ornament for the night. So we picked one out and the lady who was working at the cart (behind the Christmas store) had pins on. So I asked her if I could see her pins. Then for the 5th time tonight, I saw mystery pins. I asked her three times if I could see them. Explaining we only traded for pins of things we have done.

To make a short story shorter, we went to City Hall to find out what was going on. We wanted a refund for our pins b/c this was not how the game was explained to us. We were new to the game at the time and were trying to learn the rules. We bought 2-3 pins that night just to trade, so wanted a refund for those 2-3 only (not the 10 we probablly bought before that). So I let my wife talk b/c I was upset over the lady telling me no three times when I had just been told it was something cast members made up.

Well the lady at the front (who just happened to be upper management, not just a normal city hall worker) was horrified to hear what was going on. Let me point out by saying we never actually asked for a refund. As soon as we started the story she politely cut in and told us how horrified and "embarrassed" she was. She said it was not Disney policy and she know the person over Magic Kingdom (I assumed a manager of some sort) and she would talk to him. She listened to our entire story and said this would not happen in the future. She offered to buy us as many pins as we wanted. As she said, "Let's go shopping". I refused. It was not necessary. I told her "mystery pin" frustrates those of us that are trying to enjoy it. We don't want a random pin, we want pins that leaves memories with us. We like to remember "Oh, yes we got that pin on our honeymoon b/c we liked Soarin' so much". Silly, I know. We made a game out of it b/c it is too easy to just buy the pin, not mention expensive.

Side note: on our 3rd anniversay, we found a Paradise Pier Hotel pin. The same hotel we stayed on our Honeymoon. We were so excited. The cast member thought we were weird until we told him why ;) He really thought our little silly game was fun (or he tricked us lol).

I was just curious to see if others have had the same problems. It is interesting me to also to see this start at disney with out the permission of Disney. It is funny, pin trading is a culture to itself at Disney (if you will).

I still can't believe she told me no three times even though it was evident I was getting upset. We've been on the rides a million times and we had an hour before our dinner, we wanted to pin trade. Not pick a random pin. Grrr. ... :)

My biggest complaint about pin trading is "mystery pin". This is when a WORKER (yes, worker) flips pins around so adults can't trade. my wife and I like to collect certain pins of things we have done.

is your complaint that the cast member will not SHOW you the mystery pin before the trade?

Wow; I've traded Mystery Pins with Scoop - including at the annual pin event at Epcot. Hardly seems to be one to violate the rules, as you say.

Wow; I've traded Mystery Pins with Scoop - including at the annual pin event at Epcot. Hardly seems to be one to violate the rules, as you say.

I agree NJBlackBerry, and isn't Scoop the one who started the mystery trade on his suspenders?

The whole point of a mystery pin is you don't know what you are trading for so I'm not surprised that no one would "show" you the pins. So, if I were you, I'd ignore the mystery pins and focus on what you can see - problem solved.

Cyn

1. My complaint is it is against Disney's policy, yet it is being done. If this was an official policy, I'd quit pin trading b/c I don't like it. I'd give our pins away and be done, b/c it would defeat the purpose of our "game".

2. If it was Disney's policy (which it is not), I'd not complain and just not participate.

3. Why should I have to put up with a cast member making up rules when Disney (the company) does not support it?

ex: If a cast member refuses to give me a change back or refuses to give me ice, should I just suck that up too?

I'm sorry if I'm coming off whining, but the response is not what I expected and it is very very interesting to me. It is interesting that true Disney fans (lets face it, we all are since we are here) would justify cast members making up rules for themselves. Now, if a person is trading, they can do what ever they want, but why should a cast member be allowed (by us, not Disney) to make up the rules against the wishes of Disney?

Interesting...

Mystery pins are just a fun way to add some excitment into pin trading for both CMs and guests. It promotes more interaction and conversations between everyone and I see *nothing* wrong with it at all. So you trade for one you dont like, turn around and trade it for another one. Its like the lottery, keep playing the mystery pins and one time you'll win a great pin...

Pins are a love hate relationship for most CMs (IMO). The fun of trading with some guests is off balanced by guests who take it way to seriously or drop crap on their lanyards or think they "own" the lanyards by making their own rules etc.

>>1. My complaint is it is against Disney's policy, yet it is being done. If this was an official policy, I'd quit pin trading b/c I don't like it. I'd give our pins away and be done, b/c it would defeat the purpose of our "game".<<

There is NOT a policy on mystery pins.

>>3. Why should I have to put up with a cast member making up rules when Disney (the company) does not support it?<<

Obviously its a supported variation as you found multiple cast members and other posters have found multiple cast members (in all parks nationwide) and they ALL followed the same rules with mystery pins.

If you had found just ONE CM with their own rules, you would have an arguement but do you really think Disney would let hundreds of cast members have mystery pins for over 5 years if they were all breaking policy?? and would Disney allow it to happen at their sponsered events by THEIR pin trading advocates if there was a policy against it?

There IS a policy according to the manager at City Hall at Magic Kingdom. She was appalled and "embarrassed" that it was going on. She even gave me a phone number to call if I find anyone doing it (I think my wife may still have it). We don't have to argue if there is a policy, b/c I know I have spoken to management and I know what they have told me.

I don't really have a problem with it per se (except for the fact it angered "Disney" when they found out what was going on). Even so, if a guest is NOT having fun with it, they should flip the pins over when asked. Why decrease the fun for us with no benefit? It is not like they are special pins or anything.

I kind of thought the mystery pins were fun. SOme CMs also had pins they weren't willing to trade and had them turned around and that was ok with me too...because as I trade for new ones there are ones I don't want to part with....and you know what...Life is wayyyyyyyyy to short to be sweating the small stuff...and pins are sure small stuff in the scheme of life!!!!..I have gottens pins from all over...some for nearly nothing..and some for way over the value simply becasue I liked the pin or it meant something....let it go....and enjoy it if you can...if not...can I buy your pins???:rotfl2:

I've only seen it done at Magic Kingdom to be honest. I've never been to a sponsered event. Of course they probably let it go if no one complains, but when we did complain they were all over it. I have no doubt it is spreading through the cast members and things like this get out of control if not nipped in the bud. If enough people complain, they will stop. My wife and I have decided to ask three times nicely. If they don't comply, then we head straight to City Hall and complain with the name of the person and their location. It is an annoyance to us. It decreases our fun. It decreases our enjoyment. If management tells me it is policy, I'll simply stop pin trading and spending money on the "hobby".

BTW Let me point out it is normally a very small number of cast members who do it (at least in my experience). On that Christmas night, we just happened to run into 5 or more and then the supervisor who explained it to us.

PS I've been told one complaint at Disney can get you fired. I don't want this to happen, but I think three times asking is fair. If I tell them I'm unhappy and will just go to city hall, they should comply with Disney regulations. I really really hate to be like this. I know I'm coming off as a jerk, but it is so annoying to us. We like to stop and talk to the cm's and check our their pins. It is so annoying to ask them to let us check them out three times. Many times, we will be walking around checking out the sites and just like to dart our eyes as we pass by their pins for a quick peek.

Well I would love to see where that phone number goes to.... I know enough CMs that are high ranking in the Disney pin world on both coasts well enough to trust when they say there isnt a policy, there isnt a policy. ALL of the "pin trading policies" are the same on both sides of the coin- What you read in Pin trading etiquette on odpt.com is the same info thats posted for CMs to follow.

What that manager at City Hall was illuding to I have no idea, but I think it was simply to appease you as the guest as its obvious to you that nothing has changed in regards to mystery pins property wide.

DJblu,

I honestly try not to make too big of a deal out of it. It makes me a little angry when we are trying to have fun and people are making things up. I'm honestly not a guy who sweats details much, for some reason this irks me. I guess it is mostly b/c we have so much fun doing it and I think it is unfair to turn them around and be a jerk to us. We do try to be very kind and understanding, but it is not fair for some people to refuse to trade. The cm's do not own the pins. They pick them up in the back and are told to trade them. Disney makes a lot of $$ of these pins. I understand some people like mystery pins, heck it would be an inconvience for me, but I could even deal with it if they would "play by the rules" and turn them over when I ask.

I know I'm coming off like a total trader and I'm letting them get the best of me, but we only have pins we really like. I don't want to trade a pin for a Snow White pin. If I'm dealing a pin, it is a pin that has some value to us, but the other one might mean more. I don't know if this makes sense. I see everyone is against me, which tells me I may be wrong.

I just don't understand how if it is against Disney policy (and it is, I've been told) then why would you guys support it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter