Moana rumored to be replacing tiki room

some do still get long lines though - Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Peter Pan, etc. - maybe not as long as Flight of Passage, but they get decent lines/the demand is there ... but others, could use some love and/or might make sense to replace - but something can be a "classic" and still get crowds
True .. but those are very UNIQUE "rides" .. that don't rely on dialog or humor (that is from the 50s/60s) to entertain people. Most shows (for most people) are "one and done".

So .. while updating Tiki Room to Moana may bring it up to modern times (in animatronics, in dialog, in song), I don't think it will draw the crowds in long term.

That and some people come to theme parks for the "rides" .. while some really enjoy the shows. While my friends didn't even give shows the time of day at Six Flags park, I always wanted to check out the IMAX show(when IMAX was special enough to be an attraction in itself at a theme park), the Hypnotist show, the singing revue, etc. So there needs to be both.

But I think that no matter WHAT the show (with the exception of the Frozen Sing Along or Indiana Jones Stunt show) .. shows just don't draw in the crowds .. even if they refresh them to a modern IP.

True .. but those are very UNIQUE "rides" .. that don't rely on dialog or humor (that is from the 50s/60s) to entertain people. Most shows (for most people) are "one and done".

So .. while updating Tiki Room to Moana may bring it up to modern times (in animatronics, in dialog, in song), I don't think it will draw the crowds in long term.

That and some people come to theme parks for the "rides" .. while some really enjoy the shows. While my friends didn't even give shows the time of day at Six Flags park, I always wanted to check out the IMAX show(when IMAX was special enough to be an attraction in itself at a theme park), the Hypnotist show, the singing revue, etc. So there needs to be both.

But I think that no matter WHAT the show (with the exception of the Frozen Sing Along or Indiana Jones Stunt show) .. shows just don't draw in the crowds .. even if they refresh them to a modern IP.

I mostly go for the rides but shows are nice to hit when you have a break in-between fastpasses and the like. I don't use a fastpass for shows and if it is a long wait I'll bypass. So thinks like TiKi, CBJ, CoP are really perfect to fit in when you are in the area and have a little break.

good shows do though - Mickey and the Magical Maps gets crowds, some of the others in the international parks get good crowds. Also things like Festival of the Lion King do really well

But agree with the rest of your post

We saw a live Moana show in Hong Kong last month and it was enjoyable to see once but certainly didn't have the wow factor that Lion King or even Nemo has.

good shows do though - Mickey and the Magical Maps gets crowds, some of the others in the international parks get good crowds. Also things like Festival of the Lion King do really well

But agree with the rest of your post
Most of the "good" shows involve live actors. There are plenty across WDW. The four shows at MK that use audio-animatronics, while "classic" just don't draw crowds and feel dated - from the movements of the robots to the soundtracks and dialog. As much as I wouldn't want to see them go, I don't think they would be missed by the general public if replaced with a decent IP-based show that fits the land they are in.

That’s more due to the fact that Six Flags shows are atrocious, like middle school play material.
Can't argue there. :) But sometimes it beat standing in the sun in the middle of the day for 30+ minutes waiting to go on a 30 second coaster.

Am I the only person who would be excited about this?

My family and I saw the Tiki Room show exactly once. It had racial and stereotypical undertones that made us very uncomfortable. We refuse to go again. But we all love Moana and would love this change.

Let’s just remove all the classic at this point. Space mountain now Wall-e, big thunder themed to Indiana Jones, haunted mansion year round nightmare before Christmas.

They should be more worried about updating and keeping classic fresh than completely replacing.
Careful, I can remember not too long ago, when Tron was announced that Martin at WDWMagic.com stated that one option post Tron opening was eliminating Space Mountain. Have not heard one thing post that, and it sent a major panic when he put it, but the reality is..... if Space Mountain could even be talked about being gotten rid of, CBJ and Tiki and others would not surprise me at all.

I’ll be ok as long as they don’t touch Carousel of Progress, it’s the only other attraction in MK that is in the same vein as CBJ and ETR and the one I would be devastated to see go.

Edit: HOP also fits this category but I seriously don’t see them replacing that ever
Hey, IASW could fall in that as well, Peter Pan......

Careful, I can remember not too long ago, when Tron was announced that Martin at WDWMagic.com stated that one option post Tron opening was eliminating Space Mountain. Have not heard one thing post that, and it sent a major panic when he put it, but the reality is..... if Space Mountain could even be talked about being gotten rid of, CBJ and Tiki and others would not surprise me at all.

The only thing I'd support for Space Mountain is to turn it into HyperSpace Mountain. That was really well done in DLR but with galaxy's edge coming don't see that happening.

Am I the only person who would be excited about this?

My family and I saw the Tiki Room show exactly once. It had racial and stereotypical undertones that made us very uncomfortable. We refuse to go again. But we all love Moana and would love this change.

Nope...you're not alone with respect to enjoying a change. I think this attraction has run it's course in the current state.

I hope these are unsubstantiated rumors that a certain website loves to post.... because this disregard to classic, quieter, attractions is a terrible look for the company. Not everything has to be a new shiny IP. Have some respect for the things that built this place.

The fact that original, fan loved shows are getting killed before stuff like PhilarMagic or The Little Mermaid in HS just feels like a spit in the face to the fans. I do want Moana but you could easily do something with Tom Sawyer's Island or Swiss Family Treehouse and incorporate it in a way that does poop on the history of Disney as well as Disney fans.

I don't imagine this is a popular opinion, but I'd rather see Hall of Presidents replaced than Country Bears or Tiki Room.

Uh, this one really has legs now. Martin predicted this a while ago, and confirmed it with "yeah kind of late with this news" when talking about this - so I think this is real, some kind of Moana overlay to Tiki

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter