Michael Myers returns..and so do we....19 Fabulous nights of HHN, RP & SF Sept/Oct 2018

Have a safe trip home, lovely to meet you both in person. We ate at Sapphire falls last night, was great! Found the customer service much better than Royal Pacific but that's another story for the trip report

Thanks Matt.......it was so lovely to spend time with you guys.......

Sorry you had a bad experience......that’s never good to hear! But, yes, Sapphire is fabulous too..........

Will look forward very much to your trip report.........big hugs to you both..........:wave2:

Well,I'm late to the party! Looking forward to another of your fabulous trip reports,Carole!

:welcome: Along Owlpost..........always welcome........haven’t actually properly started this one yet, so you're not really late........:thumbsup2

Should be starting it in a day or so.......soon as I catch up on laundry, laundry and oh yes......more laundry.......always the joy of coming home isn’t it.........

Hope you enjoy this one..........:wave2:

So excited to read about your newest trip!! Love to follow your adventures!

:flower1:

:welcome: too Stargazer9..........still love that name!!!

I’m so glad to read you’ll be reading this one too..........hope it’s fun to read..........:wave2:

Love the start! Especially appropriate this year with the new Halloween movie coming out! Can’t wait to read about your trip.

Yep, another trip report from Carole n Tom...…….

This one is starting a little early...….rather unusually for me. I never do a pre trip report as I always like to surprise myself and have no definite plans for our trips...….but, time is of a premium this year so wanted to get a head start on this one...……

So, for anyone who doesn't know us......there must be some...…..::yes:: we are indeed Carole and Tom.

This is our fourth of five trips to Orlando this year, and our longest one at 19 nights. We usually spend this length of time in September as we adore HHN and September is one of our favourite times to go anyway...…….Tom took early retirement last year, can`t believe it`s over a year now since he left the big bad world of work, it has gone so quickly.....of course Kyle reminds us if we weren't travelling so much it might slow down a bit...…..gotta love him!!!! But, now we can take advantage of travelling anytime we choose we are certainly taking advantage of it.

Kyle isn't with us again this trip, but we do look forward to 10 nights in December where he will join us again...….apparently in the UK it is acceptable for our adult kids to join us on an Orlando vacation without being teased!!!! Not that he would bother anyway...…..we went for a week last December and loved Universal at Christmas, so as we felt a week wasn't long enough.....it`s 10 nights this time.

So that's the reason for so many trips now, instead of our once a year trips up 2015.

Early retirement has been wonderful...…..easily the best decision ever...….and as I more or less retired a good few years back through choice.....I preferred being able to travel to Scotland or anywhere else I liked when I liked...…..so we both took to it like a duck to water...……

Everyone told us we would need a hobby once Tom retired...…...so we got one. Visiting Orlando more often. Can`t get much better than that. We tried golf and hated it......almost did a man an injury with a golf club......oops :duck:so thought better of it!!!

This is us if you don't know us...…..in one of our favourite bars in Citywalk………..

i-7xHKjRc-XL.jpg

We do like to visit a few bars on our trips...…..and we do enjoy a cocktail or three...…..but mostly we just love Orlando and the surrounding areas...…….there is so much to see and do outside of the Universal parks...…..of course if you know us at all, you`ll know we don't visit Disney or SeaWorld at all. Universal all the way for us...….

i-5wps5zc-XL.jpg

This trip was booked before we even left last September...…..as is our way, we do like to have it arranged in plenty of time. It`s especially easy now we don't have to fit between certain dates, although to be fair Tom never had any issues with vacation time...….he suited himself. But, we just liked it booked first.

So, 19 nights at our favourite hotel...……..Royal Pacific Resort...……

i-bG49KW8-XL.jpg

We have stayed her many nights since 2009 when we began to stay here exclusively...….and we love it as much as we did, if not more than our first stay. We never get bored here and so many people now genuinely feel like family...…...we know a lot of folks so well and of course the business it is, staff do change, and meeting new members of the team is always lovely.

I think they are fabulous at making everyone feel special of course, but there is such a warm and welcoming feeling when we enter the hotel, it really is like being home. And when people you have known for a long time are delighted to see you back and welcome you as family, that is a very special feeling...…...and one of the many, many reasons we return every year......now numerous times a year. And we feel incredibly lucky to be able to do that.

So, once we are home from our October trip last year, jet lag hasn't even cleared and I`m on the websites getting flights booked and paid for...…...this is so easy...….it`s like buying a book from Amazon...….couple of clicks and it`s done...……..

We go between Virgin and Thomas Cook for flights to America...….not really a price consideration, but more convenience of flight times......they are both excellent to fly with and we have no problem with whichever we choose...……flight crew and service have always been top notch on both carriers. Thomas Cook gets our pennies this time.

We usually book Premium both ways, but the plane we are on going out doesn't have a Premium area, but the seats are extremely decent on these flights. The planes for America and long haul are decent...…..so we get the first row booked going out and add in Priority boarding, so we are on first.....sounds crazy but, as we have no seats in front of us we can`t put our bags under the seat in front, so we need to put our cabin bags above us...…..some people have cabin luggage that are huge......so space is a premium......but the advantage of being in row 1 is no one reclining on to you.....during the day flights most people don't though....but some can. Their privilege of course. And having extra space in these seats means it`s not an issue if someone does recline.

We do however have Premium on the way home......so no need to add Priority as it is already included with premium seats.

With flights sorted almost immediately we were practically done with planning...……..

Although I say we never plan, we do of course look forward immensely to our trips.....every one of them is special and we treasure every second we are there. We do look at menu`s, a lot!!!! Food plays a big part of our trips......so many restaurants we just don't have anything like them in the UK. Some we go to are chains of course, don't quite understand the hate that some chain restaurants get from certain people...…….The Palm is a chain and every single meal we have had there has been beautiful. Guess some people must go to pretty poor chains as we have loved almost every meal we have had in America...….except Bongo`s in Downtown Disney...….truly awful and never went back. But it was in 2007......I have a long memory though.

We also plan where we might travel to for the day...….there are so many places round about and a little further afield......we are spoilt for choice some trips.

Which brings us to the car rental.

We exclusively use Alamo and have done for several years...….so far no complaints about the cars or service from them......they used to try and sell us all kinds of upgrades, but soon realized they couldn't sell us anything we knew we didn't want or need. Although last time we got the best car ever......if you read the July Trip Report, you would see we got a Maserati Levante......which was so much fun to drive...….we loved this car. Wouldn't have one in real life as they can be so unreliable.....but this one was fabulous!!!!!

i-dKnCMgD-XL.jpg

Thing is, this had spoiled us for rental cars in the future.

For this trip we had booked a full size SUV. Last time it had been a Premium I believe, but the option wasn't there, so we would see when we arrive if we can maybe get an F Pace as an upgrade.....no way would get this again for such a bargain price as we only added around $100 for the week!! Bargain.

This booking was only $650 for 19 nights. But, it was booked and paid for now too. Another box ticked off in our planning, limited as it was. Whatever the car ended up being I`m sure it would be fine.

We stay overnight at the airport at the same hotel we have stayed at for years. Radisson Blu Manchester Airport. We just like it here. Its convenient for both Terminals whether you are flying Virgin or Thomas Cook...…..one airline you turn right out the doors and the other you turn left down the Skywalk. Rooms are clean and quite pretty......and we usually book the Executive Lounge as an extra treat...……the contoured glass windows on top is the location of the lounge...…..great airport views!!!

i-TVzdrr9-XL.jpg

The lounge is on the 9th floor and they have snacks and non alcoholic drinks out all day. At 5pm the alcohol and appetizers comes out...…..

Wines and liquor are left out for people to help themselves...….and there is beer in the chilled cabinets then. The apps are pretty good and last couple of years we have enjoyed them and didn't feel the need to go down to the restaurant to eat dinner. And the lounge is very nice...

You do have your own check in area on the 9th floor for Executive rooms which is a little quieter and more convenient than main check in desk.

i-crGSZ7t-XL.jpg

i-sxTP2fj-XL.jpg

Food stops being served around 7.30pm and alcohol at 9pm. Although we never really have a lot as flying the next day we don't want to feel sluggish.

We usually book a room with parking included for our entire stay...…..but this time we thought we might do something a little different this time. We were going to travel to the airport by train.

There is a train station attached to the complex too, mum and I had arrived by train when we stayed overnight here before we flew out to NYC. We had enjoyed it. And this was really a bit of an experiment...….more so for the way home.

We have a fairly long drive back down the country to get home...….and after a night flight that you probably haven't slept much, driving isn't fun. I know you can book a day room at most of the bigger hotels, but we would rather just set off for home as soon as we can. So, we got our entire journey booked and managed to get First Class seats on both trains to and from the airport. It will take longer than driving, but Tom just felt he`d like to give it a try just once...….if we don't like it we can still go by car on our other journeys. We will also be going by car in December when Kyle is with us.

We have a cab booked to take us to the station on Wednesday morning. Friends offered, but one is notoriously unreliable...….and others are a little bit away or working, so cabs are easier. It`s only 30 minutes to the station. Then 4 hours or so on the trains.

More plans including HHN and other changes coming right up...…..

Love the start! Especially appropriate this year with the new Halloween movie coming out! Can’t wait to read about your trip.

:welcome: jenrose..........

Lol.......I love that picture!! So, yes, had to start this one with that image..........and I cannot wait for the new movie........so excited for that!!

Hope you enjoy this one too, should get it started today hopefully..........:)

So, it seems ages since I started this one off ages ago to save some time when I got home...…….

But, finally...…..jet lag hasn't been too bad this time so I feel awake enough (most of the time) to get started.

Departure day for our overnight at airport was Wednesday September 12th...…...usually we drive and leave our car at the Radisson for the duration of our trip.....but we have a long drive home and after an overnight flight sometimes that drive can be tough....especially on Tom as he always drives. I just couldn't do it. We could always have stayed in a day room at the hotel, but honestly it never seemed necessary...….we always managed and I think like most people, once we are on our way home, we just want to get home...……

So, this time we considered getting the train. Mum and I had made the journey from our home to Manchester Airport few years before when we went to NYC, but Tom and I aren't generally fans or users of public transport but thought this might be a good idea especially on the way home. It would be a bit of a longer journey than usual, but we`d give it a try. My only caveat was we travelled first class. This was met with a happy smile as Tom was thinking exactly the same. Great minds do think alike...…….So we got it booked and picked up tickets from our local station weeks before we were due to leave. It wasn't a huge amount more to travel first class and we got to choose and reserve seats which was our main worry as these trains can get busy. Our only concern was if on the way home our flight was delayed, we could miss the train we had reservations on, and would have to get a later train which wouldn't be an issue if there seats available.....but if there wasn't we would have a heck of a wait. But, we wouldn't ponder on that till we came home.

On the morning of us leaving we had a short time with Kyle as he was leaving early for work...…..so we got up extra early so we could have breakfast together......I always dread this day......and as I said in our previous trips this year, I am getting better at leaving him. He is quite good at indulging me in my tearful goodbyes, reminding me he`ll be fine as always, but we just miss him.

Breakfast was brief and then he was due to leave, and I did tear up a little I have to say...….but we got a little distracted with goodbyes and never noticed something that added a little stress to the day.

Kyle was using our car while we were away....he was keeping his in the garage for the trip......just for a change. Although he has a Mercedes, and a good one too, ours is much more powerful and bigger, so he thought he`d like to drive around in it for a change......good idea we thought. So he took my key fob and we waved him off with a couple of tears as he headed along the drive...…...I turned to clean up and Tom asked a question I never even thought of.

Although before that, I should add we were having Kyle`s bathroom ripped out and rebuilt with everything brand new while we were gone......we had used these guys before and were happy to leave them to get on with it while we were away......Kyle could pass on any message that needed to be exchanged......so, I had given the guy we know and trust my key so they could let themselves in and out. And Kyle had just left with my keyring and key fob for my car...….

Tom looked and asked did Kyle take his own key which would be on his keyring with his fob for his car which was tucked away in the garage.

I paled instantly...…..went up to his room and looked where I knew he kept his keys...…..there they were. His keyfob and house key. We were leaving in an hour or so...…..he works 40 minutes away.

Panic set in and I tried to call him as he wouldn't have gone far...….of course he was driving our car so his phone wasn't connected to the Bluetooth.....and I knew he never would answer his phone while driving...….plus it was in his bag in the trunk. I called his phone a million times...left messages and then called the main office which wasn't open yet...…..

Meanwhile I had run to our nearest neighbor...….not an easy feat...…..asked if we could leave the back door key with her and he could get it when he came home......she said usually it would be fine but they were in and out after the kids got in from school that day......but she said, let me think...…..she worked out she would be home for around 15 minutes between 5.30pm and 5.45pm...….not a long window, and Kyle finished at 5pm. He wouldn't usually make it with traffic...…..but, we worked out if she missed him she would take the key to her mum who lived close by...…..I was kinda panic stricken at this point but it was the best we could do. The guys who were working in the house said later they would have waited, but they are usually gone by 4pm and we wouldn't have imposed unless totally necessary. So, I thanked her and she was so worried I was so stressed on travel day.....these things happen don't they...….so headed back to our place and began calling Kyle to tell him where the back key was. Still no answer.....so got through to his offices and spoke to a woman who had an office near his and said she`d pass my very odd message on. She must have thought I sounded like a maniacal idiot to be honest...…..but after I hung up, Kyle had arrived at work, switched on his phone and saw 84,000 missed calls from me...….he couldn't believe he had done it......we couldn't believe we hadn't noticed...…...but, just about now our cab arrived to take us for the train...….so we told him the plan and hoped for the best.

Not the best start to the day at all...……..

So, our poor cab driver had to listen to me rave on about what else we could do if he missed our closest neighbor, her mother and the workmen...….friends have keys, but one that's close wouldn't be home till later...…...so I had to content myself that it would be fine. We could have, although didn't think of it till later conceivably make it to his work and drop the key off and just about make the train...….really, we could get any train we liked as long as he had the key. It`s funny you think of all these solutions later...……..

Spoiler..................rather than dragging it out...….he asked his boss if he could leave 20 minutes early to catch the lady with the key...….his boss thinks the world of him, so told him to leave 30 minutes early to make sure he got her...…..awww!!!! So, he was waiting as she got home...…...big relief. While we were away he took her round a bottle of Prosecco she likes as a Thank you...……

So, we got to the station in plenty of time to get on the train. And we got our seats on both trains as we had to change. But, little glitch number 2...….we booked seats so they faced the way we were travelling.....they had put us facing backwards...….and sharing a table of four with another couple who decided they would have yukky egg sandwiches for breakfast...…..oh no way, I was moving...….spoke to the conductor who apologized and said we could move to the next table where no one had reservations...….I was already moving our stuff...…..I do suffer from motion sickness a little and going backwards for 4/5 hours wouldn't be a good thing.

Now we were settled. And it was a decent journey.

i-4NTnJ2W-XL.jpg

We changed trains and our seats were fine on the second one, so we passed the time chatting and when the trolley lady came round to ask what we wanted to drink we said two white wines...…..we laughed how she just looked at us...….it was 10.45 in the morning...…..it was funny as I was about to say that when a lady opposite shouted over...….they`re starting their holiday...….I burst out laughing as she was right...….and then I said it`s 5 o clock somewhere...….same lady began singing jimmy Buffet...….lol...….I`m sure all the staid and suited business folks around must have thought we were nuts...…..but we got our wine...it was a small glass, but anything works to start a trip...……

i-wbBMZkP-XL.jpg

The journey was fairly decent and we would do it again. The seats were spacious and comfortable and I just love a train journey...…..many of you will know I`ve always wanted to do the original route of the Orient Express or the Trans Siberian Railway...….till it was pointed out to me that the latter might be a tad cold...…..hmmm. Probably...…….

We arrived at the airport and got our cases off...….they were heavy!!! And we hadn't even left yet...…..oops.

It was a lovely sunny day so we took our last few gulps of fresh air before entering the building and taking the Skywalk to the hotel......a few minutes walk which makes this as convenient as the car.

We had an Executive room booked which meant we could usually check in early...…..and we hoped that would be the case today...…..we took the elevator up to the 9th floor where check in for executive rooms is placed...…..and there was the same girl there that we met in July when she was training and she instantly remembered us...….but we got checked in and exchanged pleasantries before telling us the room was ready...…...but it wasn't facing the runway as we like......so we wandered back down, well Tom wandered back down and asked if we could have a runway facing room...….he explained his wife was very childlike about certain things...….lol...….he wouldn't care which way the room faced...…..but he came back and said another room was ready and we could go now......and no extra charge for the view which there usually is. It`s not a lot and we would have happily paid it...…...but, I was happy.

Room was as usual fresh and clean...…..really in a room for one night that's all we look for......and we do like this hotel, so although you have seen these same pictures a million times before...….I still take pictures of the room and view...….not that its much of a view, but at night it is lovely all lit up.

i-6dVrTVQ-XL.jpg

i-3bg9jGB-XL.jpg

i-V3fBXRn-XL.jpg

i-CLj8Ngv-XL.jpg

i-c2Np53Z-XL.jpg

i-CsDs6L3-XL.jpg

We had a quick freshen up and headed down to the bar for lunch...…..it was a little later than expected, so I was as usual starving by now. Tom really can go all day without eating, but not me...……

The bar was fairly busy so we sat at one of the larger tables as there was no where else...…...and we ordered a bottle of Champagne as is customary to begin our trip...….and it was lovely...…

i-ZmFpzHz-XL.jpg

i-RbkhZNS-XL.jpg

Food was a priority now, especially with some champagne going around...….so we had a quick look at the menu and Tom opted for one his favourites, a very plain ham and tomato sandwich on white bread...…..I went for the turkey club...….both came with fries and coleslaw......although I couldn't eat the coleslaw as it had onion in......but it looked lovely...…..

i-Cx7ZL53-XL.jpg

i-Wr5nQjK-XL.jpg

Food here is good. Although I hadn't noticed there was a fried egg on this one...…..so, I picked that out and we both enjoyed our rather late lunch...….

We sat for a little while till we decided to go up to the lounge for a coffee...…..it`s always so quiet during the day, so a nice place to relax in. Although business men and woman make up most of the patrons...….some noisier than others...…..

Today was no different...….there was another couple sat away to the side and apart from them, we had the place to ourselves. During the day there is teas and coffee, fresh juices, cans of coke and water laid out along with snacks like olives and little things similar to goldfish.....and some rather decent chocolates......o so I`m told.

i-k2hNWJs-XL.jpg

i-N8pBz2K-XL.jpg

i-D6srkQL-XL.jpg

i-mm7K2gN-XL.jpg

i-NHb8mJC-XL.jpg

i-HxSB3Pz-XL.jpg

i-mzV7QJm-XL.jpg

i-T7WMRf8-XL.jpg

i-z4qmz3Q-XL.jpg

i-XPrqjbH-XL.jpg

Tom made himself a coffee and I had a coke...…...we sat by the wall as the sun was so bright it was just too hot to sit where we usually sat by the window…..and when someone came in we asked them to turn the aircon up as it was boiling hot...…..so he pulled the electric blinds down a little and the air was indeed cooler within a few minutes...…..

i-tWtfD6B-XL.jpg

i-wJXH9nf-XL.jpg

We do like this as a start to our trip. Some think its a little extravagant, but hey ho...….they serve appetizer foods from 5pm till 7.30 and wines and liquor between 5 and 9.30pm. Fully complementary and it`s help yourself...…..we don't have too much wine as we don't want to feel sluggish next day...….but it`s a nice little thing to be able to do.

Snacks do come out and they are fairly decent...…..as we had a late lunch we again decided not to go down to restaurant later......we just couldn`t face a meal after lunch and snacks......and it was enough……..

When the food came out there is a usual mad rush from some people...….we tend to hold back and wait till most have filled up and fresh stuff has been replenished...…..and tonight they had shrimps in batter (too much batter), spring rolls, cheeses and crackers, samosas, mini onion bhajis, mini pork pies and some selections of meats including chorizo and salami......they were nice and spicy!!! We did enjoy a few snacks over the time food was out, but we were fairly full after our late lunch. The snacks are alright.........not a reason to go there, but decent.

Most of our afternoon had complied of us worrying over Kyle, although we knew it would be fine really...…..but I was relieved when at 5.40 he emailed to say he was home and had got the key...…….and had made sure he had added his key to my keyfob for rest of the time we are away...….big relief!!!! We did laugh about it later, but at the time it was a little stressful. And now we were calm, we came up with a hundred solutions. Typical.

There`s no one here this time of night at the Executive Check in, I thought there was someone there till after 9, but not tonight. It is nice having our own little check in away from the hustle of the main check in desk.

i-w25Mm84-XL.jpg

We sat till around 8.30pm then left to go Facetime Kyle...…..and again, we had a good giggle about what had happened today, but kept thinking what if...…….so lesson learned for all three of us...…..we did have a good chat though and planned to talk a few days later once we were settled in to Royal Pacific...…..

We said our goodnights and then Tom put the tv on while I mooched around and decided what we would need for the morning......we didn't have to get up too early, but still we do like to be up and ready...…..so get organized tonight to save time and stress in the morning...…

Once I was organized I climbed into the huge and very comfortable bed...….I love the thick duvet you get here......it`s soft and fluffy but not as good as mine......but we do hope to have a good sleep as we are both tired...…..who sleeps the days before a trip!!!! No one I know...…...and here is where we have our first disagreement...….I want the drapes open to see the night lights of the airport...….and Tom wants total darkness...…….

Guess who won...……..

i-KZkFgH8-XL.jpg

Lights out around 11pm and thoughts turned to tomorrow...…….we were so looking forward to this trip already..........

Last edited:
Oh boy the key saga, glad it all worked out. The train travel looks like a nice change for you two. So excited to have the whole trip in front of you!!

Oh boy the key saga, glad it all worked out. The train travel looks like a nice change for you two. So excited to have the whole trip in front of you!!

It wasn't the way we hoped to start the day that's for sure...….lol...….but, yes, we were very relieved when we knew he was home...…

Train journey was good. Bit of a pain having to change and it did take longer than it does for us to drive, but very relaxing...….think we`d do it again quite happily......:)

I love the idea of the train instead of the car. I loathe driving home after a long flight. Sitting and having someone else do that duty is a real pleasure!

So sorry about the kerfluffle with your son's keys... There is something about departing for a trip that makes those types of moments even more stressful....

Enjoying your report!

I love the idea of the train instead of the car. I loathe driving home after a long flight. Sitting and having someone else do that duty is a real pleasure!

So sorry about the kerfluffle with your son's keys... There is something about departing for a trip that makes those types of moments even more stressful....

Enjoying your report!

Thanks...….glad to hear that...….:)
We can laugh about the key incident now......but at the time :scared1:

The train was good, as you say driving home after a long flight is never fun...….:faint:

THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 13TH...……….party:

Didn't really feel like a birthday today...…..very strange....

We had slept alright considering......as is usual for us we both awoke around 3am...…..this seems to be a habit and we wondered if we had a little alarm clock in us somewhere...…..I got up and roamed around a little...….looked out of the window and then remembered I hadn't done online check in......I had meant to do it when we got back to the room, but I forgot. So I sat at the desk and opened the ipad and got it done. Sometimes with security it doesn't allow us to both check in, but we were both checked in like a flash. It`s not necessary of course, but we just like to do it if only to check we still have the seats we have booked......of course, they too can be changed last minute for several reasons...….but fingers crossed we were good to go.

I had some water and got back into bed......of course now I was cold as we have the aircon very cool in these rooms as they are naturally hot...….and Tom was like a hot water bottle tonight......so he was "thrilled" when my cold feet and legs got in beside him...…..he was so far over the huge bed hoping I wouldn't find him...…..yeah ok that's going to happen :rotfl:......so once I was warm again, I fell asleep and that was us till the alarm call woke us up. Then my ipad alarm, then the tv alarm......and finally the snooze on the ipad…….I`m a worrier...….but we didn't get up straight away...…..our flight wasn't till 12pm and I had really made the alarm call too early...….so we made sure I had reset the ipad alarm for an hour and we kinda snoozed...….never done that before!!! But, we had been quite tired last night, so wanted to take advantage of not having to be in the airport at crazy o clock...….

And it looked a beautiful morning outside today...……..

i-C8vzPqr-XL.jpg

i-TjgkRjT-XL.jpg

Taking our time to get ready was lovely...…..we did order some tea from room service as we eat when we get through security at the airport, it was just too early for me right now to eat. But we both love a cup of Breakfast tea in the morning. It was delivered almost immediately and we did enjoy it.....they had sent up some little cookie type things so they were nice too.

After I dried my hair with the annoying hotel hairdryer that you have to keep your finger on the button to make it work, I realized I only had American straighteners with me...…….not the worst thing I could have forgotten...….but now I would spend the day like this...…..

My hair has a life of it`s own at times. Even straightened it kinda takes it`s own course...…...and with a day travelling I expected the worst after our flight...….my hair is fine, but there`s a lot of it!!!

I do have GHD`s that work in both countries but I actually prefer the American ones I have...…..so, will stick to them, but do regret not being able to straighten them in the morning. Tom looks bemused as I rant about how wild my hair will look. Having no hair he doesn't have this worry...…..

Eventually we are all set and ready to leave the room. We check we have everything including ipad charger that we have left in the wall in the past......oops.....we`re good to go, so we head out and go straight down to the terminal through the skywalk where we do notice our cases are incredibly heavy......pulling them seems like a hardship this morning...…..Tom looks at me as if to say well, it`s all your stuff...…..he`s probably right. We also have an awful lot of chocolate that we give to Club Lounge staff...….UK chocolate always goes down well...…...but even so.....I do wonder why they`re so heavy...…..

Down to where our check in is and we get the usual security questions and we join a very short line for Priority passengers. We are through in no time but I did notice when she weighed our cases they were just under the limit. This flight out had no Premium but on the way home we had extra weight and I think we would be glad of that somehow.

We go through the priority line for security, but to be honest it was fairly quiet this morning...…..we duly put our belongings in the grey trays and go through the scanners...….just a cursory pat down for me, but my hand luggage is held to the side for a recheck...….I was now mentally going through every single thing I had in there and began to imagine what I might have left in...…...so we had to wait while he went through the bags in front...….added around 20 minutes to our wait. When it was my turn he explained the bag I had medication in wasn't able to be seen through by the xray…….that was weird as I`ve used that same bag for all my trips this year...…..but fair enough I`ll get a new one. I don't have medication as such, but always take a few things in case they`re needed with me on the plane. So, he was very pleasant and it was quite a relief to know I hadn't left something in there I shouldn't.

Now we were through and now I was ready for breakfast...…...we wandered straight past all the perfume and make up ladies and was annoyed to see the GHD lady wasn't there...…...I figured I might ask her if I could have a try of them...….and be honest and tell her I didn't have mine with me...….but, the stall was empty.

We usually have breakfast in the same place where we can overlook the runway, but today we wanted to try somewhere else. There are a fair few options here, but we chose one called the Grain Loft. It was just not as mobbed as the other places and we got a table immediately...….it felt quite nice and staff were nice too. In this place you go up to the bar and order your food and tell them your table number...….so a quick look at the menu and I opted for the bacon sandwich and Tom got the cooked which included bacon, sausages, eggs and he omitted the baked beans which are disgusting at the best of times, but for breakfast we find them horrible. And he got some toast. Huge pots of tea ordered too.

i-KpvBGXh-XL.jpg

i-NQXb4Dq-XL.jpg

We did take pictures of the place, but they were so dark. So, it`s just us.

Breakfast was good actually...…..we both enjoyed it more than the other place.....so will give this one a try next time we fly from this terminal. Won`t be December trip as we fly from the other terminal then. But, it was nice and tea was boiling hot which we love.

We sat for around 40 minutes, only because there were plenty of tables if anyone needed them. Seemed we had hit the quieter time now...….eventually though we headed downstairs and had a wander through Duty Free and didn't buy anything at all today. But, we did buy some snacks and water in case food wasn't up to much. Better to be safe than sorry...…..we looked up at this point and our gate had just been announced on the screen, so we took our time and headed down to where we would be departing from.

It wasn't a long wait and they began boarding passengers who needed assistance, then it was us with priority...….it had seemed a very quick morning from when we got up and were now boarding.

Our passports checked and boarding cards scanned...….of course I was sent for an extra check......Tom carried on to the plane as he`s used to me being searched again...…...it`s really just to the side of where we are boarding, but they ask you to open your bag and bring out an electrical item....they swab that and me too...….dress and hands...….one of them commented I did like purple...….camera, bag, neck pillow, eye mask, hairbrush and numerous other items.....lol......couldn't deny it......they are very friendly and not at all unpleasant in any way...…..I always tell them I`m glad I`m no longer in the industry I was in as I`d be a nightmare for them with what I used to be around...….one of them tells me yes, that wouldn't be fun!!! They do make the process a calm one and don't make you feel uncomfortable in any way. And I`m good to go again...….

Our seats were right at the front of the plane and Tom was already settling in as I got there...….we had chosen seats where we had no one in front of us...not as good as the Premium seats we were used to but they would do.….

Just before take off...……..not much of a view...….

i-kZXzCzg-XL.jpg

i-BgKmFDm-XL.jpg

We took off 30 minutes after our planned time which wasn't too bad...….but then the pilot announced it would be a longer than normal flight as we were flying higher up around Canada and more inland over the US to avoid Hurricane Florence.......there was a universal groan from most passengers...….but, of course we wanted to land safely...….but we were happy when we began taxiing towards the runway for take off. I think we all worry about last minute issues affecting take off and any other issues...…..I know I always think of Phoebe and Rachel when we are ready for take off...…….:laughing:

Take off was good and smooth...….always my most nervous time....usually. But today I felt quite relaxed and I think I am now not nervous when we take off.....it was really enjoyable......I looked out the window and enjoyed the view until we were too high in the clouds to see anything...….we had a little turbulence straight away, but didn't last long...….I love turbulence...….I`m a little odd like that......but not too much. I always dread having that dropping sensation when you hear of planes falling 10,000 feet in seconds...….that's a little too much for me...…..

Soon the CC are serving snacks and drinks, a bit later than usual due to turbulence...….sour cream pretzel things are the norm.....tiniest bag ever!!! But we get a couple of drinks......I order the prosecco and Tom gets a couple of beers...….and they`re very nice...……

i-4mFLkWg-XL.jpg

i-RvPJKqq-XL.jpg

We both settle down and watch a movie. I have no clue what Tom watched as it was one of those Transformer sci fi fighting ones...….not a clue!!! I watched a mix of tv shows and listened to music...…..this was going to be a long flight...…..

Food was served soon after and it was nice again I have to say...….we both chose the beef with dumpling, potatoes and carrots......and it was really nice!!! I thought the beef looked dry and tasteless...….but it was nice!!! And the usual selection of bread roll, butter, crackers, cheese, compote and dessert....although anything mint gets the heave ho from my tray...….so Tom inherited that one. I exchanged it for his Brie...…..he doesn't like Brie at all.....I love it!!! So fair swap.

i-NStvjHr-XL.jpg

i-PQMBQPh-XL.jpg

We had another drink given with our meal, so I stuck to the little bubbly bottles and Tom didn't bother as he would be driving the other side. It isn't the easiest thing to do is eat food on a plane......but we manage and as I said, we did kind of enjoy it.

Once the trays were cleared we both had a bathroom visit and then I settled down to sleep for a couple of hours......hopefully...….I put on noise cancelling headphones and got my purple blanket, purple neck pillow and purple eye mask out and settled down. I asked the man behind if he minded if I reclined a little, I wouldn't put the chair fully back as is the norm on night flights......but he said he was fully reclining so I was fine to do it. I didn't though....a little recline was good enough. I was as Tom described...….just a bundle of purple curled up on a seat!!!

It got a little bumpy again, Tom says I use that as a sleep aid...….lol....I was out for the count before I knew it. Some people can sleep on planes and some can`t....Tom is one that really can`t. So he watched a few movies as we propelled our way over the ocean...….I slept most of the way.

Eventually I surfaced from my cocoon and Tom said I had the rosiest cheeks ever...….well, 3 little mini bottles of bubbly and being wrapped up in a warm blanket will do that to you!!!! I did ache a little though as I hadn't moved in a couple of hours.

We were over Canada at least...…….and 4 hours to go.

i-86QGpWX-XL.jpg

I watched another tv show, flicked through a sports magazine I had brought, then a gossip magazine where I knew very few of the folks gracing the cover never mind inside...…..did read a hilarious article on how we "need" The Kardashians in our lives???? Wouldn't miss them personally...…..thought I might snooze again, but didn't really manage it...….Tom meanwhile was still engrossed in his movies...….so I really ended up watching the skymap…...and we did go higher than normal as the Captain informed us...…..usually we hug the Eastern Seaboard but over water...….today we saw a few places closer up...….

i-hSxkWNq-XL.jpg

i-qxQrhkm-XL.jpg

Time really does pass quickly for some reason...….at this point it didn't seem so bad, but the extra flying time was noticeable today...….it would be an almost 10 hour flight by time we landed...….plus the hours awake before hand. But, it`s all worth it and I`d do it again tomorrow lol...…..I see people say they couldn't deal with this type of flight, but we do what we need to when we want to go somewhere as amazing as Florida. And to be honest, we really enjoy the flights over here...……flying is one of those things that most love or hate...….

An hour or so before we land we get afternoon tea. It`s a couple of little finger sandwiches, little potato chip bag and a cake...….then tea, coffee or water. I suppose they really do feed us ok and it helps pass the time too...….it wasn't a bad little snack...……..

i-kw28Wpx-XL.jpg

Now we are getting closer. We all visit the bathroom and then settle down for the last and most important bit of the flight......coming in to Orlando.....I love seeing the cloud formations here......we don't see that much in the UK...….and now you can feel the excitement as we near our destination. Pilot informs us there is rain over MCO so we pray it`s not a storm and we get delayed further...…..but it`s not...…….

i-Thzd5GF-XL.jpg

We fasten our seatbelts tighter and begin to enjoy the hard candy to stop the ears being blocked up. Tom suffers worse than me with this.....so we have fruity ones that we happily chomp on till we land.

Good landing and so smooth......we were impressed. I swear the bit now takes forever......I often think we land somewhere far away and drive to the airport as it takes so long...…..but eventually we pull into our gate and engines off at 5.25pm local time.

We get our things together and are off the plane fairly smart. We feel the heat immediately as we exit the door after thanking CC for taking such good care of us. This is one of the things we look forward to......that first blast of heat...…..then we walk down to the passport checks and immigration.

Now we have Global Entry this is a breeze. We were straight through and had a quick chat with officer and we were on our way......glancing at the line for the main immigration checks.

I went to the bathroom as luggage hadn't started to come through yet......this was the downside to getting through Immigration quicker......waiting on luggage. But, this seems to be a hit and a miss in Orlando. Today we waited a little longer due to rain and probably lightning....but eventually ours came through.....not first as they should be, but these things happen.

Next we would be taking the People mover over to the main hub and deal with rental car people.

More to come...……..

You know you’ve ‘made it’ when you get not one, but several shoutouts in carole’s TR woot:) :) :)

I didn’t realize a pre TR had commenced. Must say i haven’t eaten much in last two days and the food porn has my tumbly rumbling in a good way! Those olives at the airport hotel look amazing & I am thinking I made a big mistake not ordering The Palms’ crime brûlée last night.

Not sure if you answered already but the last frozen drink in the picture is interesting looking. Would that be strongwater’s version of a daiquiri?

The key incident was epic, in a bad way. Glad you were able to work that out. The sort of what if travel nightmare that can keep you awake pre trip.

So continuing with our "we don't plan" plan...……

Food is a big part of our trips!! As our ever expanding waistlines reveal...……

We love good food and good quality drinks.....but we also like just about anything that's tasty...…..cheap and cheerful places like Red lobster and Longhorn delight us......we don't have them in the UK so we like to make the most of places like that when we are there.

We do enjoy eating around the hotels too....we have some places that are must do every trip...…..and one of them is Orchids Sushi Lounge...….

It has never disappointed...….quality and service are top notch...….sushi is so good!!! They have a varied and excellent menu, with plenty of choice for everyone including non sushi options.

i-sbGLHLH-XL.jpg

i-cvKwQHV-XL.jpg

Of course I couldn't leave out Jake`s American Bar...…….we have been eating here for 10 years and never once had a bad meal or poor service...….it`s sometimes our first night meal as we usually haven't the energy to go very far after a day travelling...….again there are plenty of fabulous options to suit everyone and prices are extremely decent...……

i-2b7nWWs-XL.jpg

i-JT7XnmW-XL.jpg

i-3QMGpcz-XL.jpg

i-hqh7q4J-XL.jpg

At PBH the only food option we actually enjoy over there is Sal`s pizza place...…..oh my goodness these have to be the best pizza`s available onsite...…

i-gnnsWHv-XL.jpg

They do lovely pizza`s...…..this was the small size between the two of us...….and it is delicious......they also do sandwiches which we have enjoyed once, but prefer the pizzas...…...the other options at PBH don't thrill us at all.

The HRH has The Palm...….and they do amazing steaks...…..amazing appetizers and all round amazing place...…..I`m not overly keen on the hotel itself, but we do come to The Palm regularly...…..

i-nt4CP4F-XL.jpg

i-phtNwJ7-XL.jpg

But, we do enjoy out of the way places that tourists aren't quite as prevalent...….4Rivers, Teak Neighborhood Grill and Yellow Dog Eats are just a few of them.......……

i-5V3MTNt-XL.jpg

i-VtkXcxJ-XL.jpg

i-FnwqFpc-XL.jpg

Then of course you have Margaritaville for certain foods. This has been a hit and a miss for us last few years...….we do prefer to eat the bar and to give some items a miss now...….but the cocktails in M`ville are fabulous!!!

i-KkgjSwT-XL.jpg

i-rFQDD79-XL.jpg

i-PskZRWf-XL.jpg

i-RWpRbQp-XL.jpg

And of course there`s always room for snacks...…...and we do enjoy a voodoo donut or two...…….

i-LvCjmf4-XL.jpg

i-g2M8m3K-XL.jpg

And that is just a few of the food places we have the choice of while we are there...……

We do spend an inordinate amount of time reading menu`s and deciding where we might eat...…..very few places are decided until the last minute...….except The Palm and Ocean Prime which are probably our favourite steak houses, quality and service can`t be beaten...…..we have already made reservations for both these places this visit...….

Other choices we do consider are Cowfish, NBC, Bula Bar, and may consider going back to HRC...…..also Amatista at Sapphire is very good.

Off site there are millions of choices of course...….we have enjoyed many meals around the immediate area including Yard House down by the Orlando Eye and Oceannaire at Point Orlando...…..

Orlando Ale House is a place we went to for the first time recently and really enjoyed it...…...but one thing you won`t do is starve!!!!

Of course I couldn't finish our food options without mentioning our possible favourite bar anywhere...….StrongWater Bar in Sapphire Falls...……

This has been a real find since the hotel opened...….service is exemplary, food is sublime and changes frequently and cocktails and rums are second to none......we spend a lot of time in here......and when we were here in May, with the rain we had almost every night...….we did indeed spend more time here than planned...…….

The food is tapas style and originates from various places in the Caribbean...…..

i-CBdcSQ9-XL.jpg

i-mtNf7sW-XL.jpg

i-skJ945v-XL.jpg

i-CG5jQdC-XL.jpg

i-vRFsDj2-XL.jpg

i-b8DM3q3-XL.jpg

And that is a small selection of our options while in Orlando...…..and people wonder why I say 19 nights isn't enough!!! :P

And we're off! A great start,as usual.I feel like I go along with you both-so descriptive! One question Carole-what are GHD's?

A stressful start to your travel day! I can imagine how you fretted - good to know it all worked out! Too bad about the longer flight, but of course it's better to be safe. Looking forward to the rest of your trip report - it will help the next month pass more quickly :thumbsup2

You know you’ve ‘made it’ when you get not one, but several shoutouts in carole’s TR woot:) :) :)

I didn’t realize a pre TR had commenced. Must say i haven’t eaten much in last two days and the food porn has my tumbly rumbling in a good way! Those olives at the airport hotel look amazing & I am thinking I made a big mistake not ordering The Palms’ crime brûlée last night.

Not sure if you answered already but the last frozen drink in the picture is interesting looking. Would that be strongwater’s version of a daiquiri?

The key incident was epic, in a bad way. Glad you were able to work that out. The sort of what if travel nightmare that can keep you awake pre trip.

:welcome: Along my friend...........always glad when you’re here!!!

Lol........that made me laugh.......well, I did want to get a head start to save some time when I got back........so started the trip report early..........hoping to get it finished before we leave for next one........

Oh the creme brûlée is their star dessert.........it is gorgeous and so much better than the cheesecake, while it’s nice.......it’s not amazing!

That drink is called Last Typhoon.......it’s made with crushed ice and very nice.......pineapple, passion fruit and grapefruit along with rum of course........it’s nice......but then I haven’t met a cocktail in there I haven’t enjoyed!

Yes, you got the advance story of the key when it was still quite raw.......lol........and yes, not fun......of course we told him if he’d had to have had the door removed by someone professional to get in it wouldn’t have mattered......long as he was in!

Hope you enjoy this one too Janet..........

And we're off! A great start,as usual.I feel like I go along with you both-so descriptive! One question Carole-what are GHD's?

Yep.......up and running now.......

Glad you’re enjoying it so far........

GHD’s are a brand of hair straightener.......they’re supposed to be the best on the market. Maybe years ago when they first came out but I dont find them any better than the other straighteners I have. They do work on both sides of the Atlantic which is handy.......if I took them.......lol........

So they’re not a brand in the US then??

There’s another brand I’m going to try called Cloud 9.......I do love straighteners!

A stressful start to your travel day! I can imagine how you fretted - good to know it all worked out! Too bad about the longer flight, but of course it's better to be safe. Looking forward to the rest of your trip report - it will help the next month pass more quickly :thumbsup2

:welcome: EveDallas.........lovely to see you along for this one..........:)

Yes, not the best start to the day......but it definitely got better once we knew he was in.........and yes, the longer flight was something we had to do and yep, long as we are safe..........

Hope it’s a good one for you too..........when is it you go, I forget??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter