• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Merged Irma impact on The Fort threads here

So all of us checking in to Ft. Wilderness on the 23rd are going to have a party, right?

Seriously though, new worry: Maria! We're pulling a camper, and cannot have it there in a Hurricane :(. We're scheduled 9/23-29 at Wilderness, and I'm concerned she'll hit midweek. Last thing I want to do is get down there with a camper and have to leave Tuesday in evacuee traffic. We stand to lose a lot more $$ than our ressie cost if we were to lose the camper (we couldn't replace it for the $4-5k insurance would give us for it). Watched a tree fall on a guy's camper and truck during a tropical storm a few years ago.

Wondering if they'll let me reschedule/cancel BEFORE I leave Friday with said camper, IF Maria continues on Irma's track....

Also wondering if they would delay reopening if Maria stays on Irma's track....

Also wondering what they'd do with us if they don't reopen as we have a family of 5+ sister/aunt for a total of 6...

So all of us checking in to Ft. Wilderness on the 23rd are going to have a party, right?

Seriously though, new worry: Maria! We're pulling a camper, and cannot have it there in a Hurricane :(. We're scheduled 9/23-29 at Wilderness, and I'm concerned she'll hit midweek. Last thing I want to do is get down there with a camper and have to leave Tuesday in evacuee traffic. We stand to lose a lot more $$ than our ressie cost if we were to lose the camper (we couldn't replace it for the $4-5k insurance would give us for it). Watched a tree fall on a guy's camper and truck during a tropical storm a few years ago.

Wondering if they'll let me reschedule/cancel BEFORE I leave Friday with said camper, IF Maria continues on Irma's track....

Also wondering if they would delay reopening if Maria stays on Irma's track....

Also wondering what they'd do with us if they don't reopen as we have a family of 5+ sister/aunt for a total of 6...

I wouldn't stress too much about Maria at this point. While there is some overlap in the tracks in the Caribbean (which could be horrible for some of those areas), Maria started well south of where Irma was and has a more northward track overall. There is ALWAYS the possibility that it could shift more westward, but most all models currently have it curving north well away from FL. Unless there is a significant shift in forecasting, I would not worry about it too much at this point.

I, too, was incredibly frustrated by the lack of communication. We were originally scheduled to check in September 10 but voluntarily rescheduled to switch to a September 18th check-in. We couldn't reschedule again because of our family's schedule (my husband is active military and we are moving soon). I called several times only to be told to call back later for more information, that my only options were to reschedule, cancel, or upgrade to a resort hotel and pay the difference. They couldn't even tell me if we could park the RV at the hotel while waiting for the campground to reopen. They said a special team was handling that and I would have to wait for them to call me. Finally, Saturday morning, 53 hours before check-in, less than 36 hours before we were to leave our house, I spoke with a cast member who offered us an All-star Music room for $40 more per night than our Ft. Wilderness reservation and said we wouldn't have issues parking there. However, she said I would have to put down an additional deposit, since it would be considered 2 separate reservations. I had paid for Fort Wilderness already, but she said I would have to wait for any excess to be refunded to my card, that they couldn't transfer it to the All-star deposit. Fortunately, my cell phone reception dropped. When I called back and mentioned rescheduling from Fort Wilderness, this cast member put me in touch with that mystical secret department. I was on hold more than an hour, but I got switched to Coronado Springs for the first two nights of my stay at the same rate as for the campground, with no additional deposit. Still hoping to move over there Wednesday. My biggest issue is just that different people were being told different things. I kept reading on the internet about people being rebooked, but when I called in, I was told I couldn't reach the people that could help me, that they would have to contact me. If some guests are being rebooked free of charge, I shouldn't have to fork over excess cash just to ensure I have a place to stay when I arrive 53 hours later.

I'd recommend staying on the phone until you can speak with a Guest Services CM. I think they have more latitude and authority to help with pricing.

So, we are on the ground here. Hotels are pretty well full. They are housing displaced Floridians, emergency workers and all of us from the Fort.
We did not get a call until Saturday, we checked in this morning. So if you are not within two days of arriving do not expect a call.
At this time we have been given a temporary check in date of Weds at the Fort. They are working on it as best they can. There are outside contractors everywhere. They were on Tom Sawyer Island in MK trying to clear it today.
There are trees down around property, and some damage at the parks, but minimal.
At this time all CM's are being told Fort may open Weds, nothing else.

Hope you had a GREAT trip down to Disney ... really wanted to meet the Sept. group, perhaps another time. I know some of ya'll do a Gulf State Park trip ... I'm in for that. BTW, just for some folks information ... there are quite a few Florida State Parks that reopened today and they are FREEEEEE for a period of time. The best one is Topsail near Destin, FL. The web site indicates they are open free day-to-day to accommodate the influx of south Florida evacuee RV's.

Anyway, I look forward to our Oct. trip and meeting some of the Oct. group while there.

Hope you had a GREAT trip down to Disney ... really wanted to meet the Sept. group, perhaps another time. I know some of ya'll do a Gulf State Park trip ... I'm in for that. BTW, just for some folks information ... there are quite a few Florida State Parks that reopened today and they are FREEEEEE for a period of time. The best one is Topsail near Destin, FL. The web site indicates they are open free day-to-day to accommodate the influx of south Florida evacuee RV's.

Anyway, I look forward to our Oct. trip and meeting some of the Oct. group while there.

Well we are sad you could not make Sept, but understand. Enjoy in Oct and we will see you at GSP in May.

At the risk of being flamed, I'm just going to say that YES I'd be very disappointed to miss my vacation but I'm not flooded, I have power, my house isn't destroyed - all things that are a real issue for those in Fla. I think it would be good to get all this in perspective. Disney didn't plan this and I am sure (since they are loosing a ton of money) they are doing everything to get back open as quickly as possible. We are supposed to check in 9/23. I did speak to our Disney travel agent today and she said reservations for Fort Wilderness and Hoop De Do Review opened up beginning 9/20 so WDW is planning to open up that day. Now I'm focused on finding out if I can find gas for the Moho In SC, GA & Fla

Coming down this weekend, we only saw one gas station off the 95 corridor that was out of diesel. Everywhere else seemed to be good.

We were due to check in on Tuesday and have been moved to OKW for the one night. CM seemed very confident about the campground opening on Wednesday. Here's hoping it turns out to be the case :)

Man, I must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed, we did not end up at OKW.

I, too, was incredibly frustrated by the lack of communication. We were originally scheduled to check in September 10 but voluntarily rescheduled to switch to a September 18th check-in. We couldn't reschedule again because of our family's schedule (my husband is active military and we are moving soon). I called several times only to be told to call back later for more information, that my only options were to reschedule, cancel, or upgrade to a resort hotel and pay the difference. They couldn't even tell me if we could park the RV at the hotel while waiting for the campground to reopen. They said a special team was handling that and I would have to wait for them to call me. Finally, Saturday morning, 53 hours before check-in, less than 36 hours before we were to leave our house, I spoke with a cast member who offered us an All-star Music room for $40 more per night than our Ft. Wilderness reservation and said we wouldn't have issues parking there. However, she said I would have to put down an additional deposit, since it would be considered 2 separate reservations. I had paid for Fort Wilderness already, but she said I would have to wait for any excess to be refunded to my card, that they couldn't transfer it to the All-star deposit. Fortunately, my cell phone reception dropped. When I called back and mentioned rescheduling from Fort Wilderness, this cast member put me in touch with that mystical secret department. I was on hold more than an hour, but I got switched to Coronado Springs for the first two nights of my stay at the same rate as for the campground, with no additional deposit. Still hoping to move over there Wednesday. My biggest issue is just that different people were being told different things. I kept reading on the internet about people being rebooked, but when I called in, I was told I couldn't reach the people that could help me, that they would have to contact me. If some guests are being rebooked free of charge, I shouldn't have to fork over excess cash just to ensure I have a place to stay when I arrive 53 hours later.

I remain optimistic about my check-in on the 23rd, but this new added bonus of hearing that Disney is being inconsistent with their response and relocating is crazy.

I'd recommend staying on the phone until you can speak with a Guest Services CM. I think they have more latitude and authority to help with pricing.

This is my biggest worry. I work in a crisis center and cannot take phone calls. I waited on hold for an hour and 30 min today before I had to hang up and leave for work.

A CM for the Chat Feature on the WDW website stated specifically that they will NOT cancel my reservation without speaking to me first. Which got me thinking, maybe the best thing to do is not take there calls, or correspondence and just show up and claim ignorance?

At this point Ive called for updates multiple times and spoken with 3 CM's but received no answers past being told to wait and the resort is expected to open this week. This is also stated on their website. Surely, Disney keeps track of the calls I'm making, right? So if how could they turn me away if I just show up?

Last edited:
maybe the best thing to do is not take there calls, or correspondence and just show up and claim ignorance?
This was going to be my tactic. I ended up getting through on the phone while driving down the day before we arrived, but I got much better service working with the CM face to face at the check in desk once we arrived.

Either way, it really sounds like they will make the Wednesday date. I am picking up my golf cart at 9am Wednesday morning and driving over to the Fort. I will let everyone know if they let me in.

j

Has anyone seen any further indications of a Wednesday opening? We don't have a reservation, but are hoping to get in later this week if things open up.

Has anyone seen any further indications of a Wednesday opening? We don't have a reservation, but are hoping to get in later this week if things open up.

I have not seen anything official. That said, I have also not seen reports of people checking in tomorrow (or already there and currently in resorts) getting calls about relocating. The further we get into today with no news of a change, the more likely it is that they will open tomorrow as hoped.

It looks like online reservations are now open for Hoop De Doo Review beginning tomorrow, so that is a good sign as well.

I wouldn't be so sure. I'm on hold now, supposed to check in tomorrow (20th) and they're trying to put me in a hotel room. They said I should have gotten a letter... we ONLY found out because we're here in a Grand Villa right now and my sister is trying to make a reservation on property starting the 20th and they told her they can't make any hotel reservations because they are holding reservations for all of the campground reservations that are displaced.

They say they will definitely not be open until next week according to Fort Wilderness reservations. I'm on the phone right now with the Guest Services people that we will all get rerouted to eventually. She know someone who works at the Fort and just called there directly and they said it will be next week at the earliest.

The online system hasn't yet been updated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter